DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Why dont club dj's play new music??

DJ NoNseNse 5:10 AM - 22 October, 2007
I mainly go to hip hop/top 40 type clubs and I notice that hardly anyone plays anything brand new. Its all the same played out stuff I hear on the radio. Its so easy to get songs before they become hits so why aren't dj's taking a chance?
dirtbag filthy 5:22 AM - 22 October, 2007
cause nobody dance no mo all dey do iz dis all dey do iz dis
DJ M.U. 5:25 AM - 22 October, 2007
i always test with a few new ones if no one jumps to it i go back but some dj's play it too safe i like to switch it up i get annoyed with myself if i play the same shit every week ya heard
DJ Evil One 5:37 AM - 22 October, 2007
i prefer playing shit that's 20 years old.
Sheeds 5:49 AM - 22 October, 2007
Cause the masses aren't brainwashed to like the new hits just yet
DJCheLu 5:52 AM - 22 October, 2007
They play it because the crowd is brutal, all the clubs i go to downtown freak out if the main hip hop Dj plays anything they have never heard of and i have seen it happen, its not pretty when you drop an unknown track and everyone on the dance floor stops to look at you.... You should have seen the crowd when the hip hop dj at the club i went to friday had to switch to the main room and the edm dj came on. The first song the entire room stopped and looked at the dj and with in 3 minutes everyone had left the dance floor which was packed lol. Just depends on where you go. Over here there are some spots that rock out with no top 40 at all but the people go to those places to hear non top 40.
sixxx 6:08 AM - 22 October, 2007
Cause most DJ's are mindless robots. Yes. I said it. If you got offended, I'm talking about you.
DJ Sniffles 6:10 AM - 22 October, 2007
cuz new shit is not cool anymore. 80's remixes and mashups baby. jump on the bandwagon, cuz being original is lame
Maskrider 6:38 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Cause most DJ's are mindless robots. Yes. I said it. If you got offended, I'm talking about you.

Not only that most of them have Mashupitis.
djnvs 6:39 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Cause most DJ's are freakin hot. Yes. I said it. If you got the message, I'm waiting for about you.

????
DJ Sniffles 6:51 AM - 22 October, 2007
^^^ haha
djnvs 7:04 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Cause most DJ's are freakin hot. Yes. I said it. If you got the message, I'm waiting for about you.

????
djnvs 7:05 AM - 22 October, 2007
Damn double post
sixxx 7:09 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Damn double sided dildo

????

hahaha
phaeton 7:17 AM - 22 October, 2007
Hahaha
DJMark 9:11 AM - 22 October, 2007
That "tyranny of the majority" thing is a real bitch sometimes. Combine that with a lot of "mindless robot" DJ's, and you have club after club after club filled with obnoxious idiots dancing to played-out crap (even in a supposedly ahead-of-the-curve place like San Francisco, in supposedly legitimate clubs).

Seems like this goes in cycles.
Celphoner 9:46 AM - 22 October, 2007
When you say new music what do you mean exactly? Name some tracks that the djs around your way keep playing...
JayB1200 11:29 AM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
i always test with a few new ones if no one jumps to it i go back but some dj's play it too safe i like to switch it up i get annoyed with myself if i play the same shit every week ya heard

+1
djbriguy 12:48 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Damn double sided dildo

????

hahaha

lol
sopranosupasta 1:37 PM - 22 October, 2007
DUDE, Its tough to not play older stuff, even when breaking new tracks. I still get requests for "tipsy" I dont play it. but i still have to listen to the studpid requests. lol
DJ Sniffles 4:06 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
When you say new music what do you mean exactly? Name some tracks that the djs around your way keep playing...

the tracks sent to you by record labels, or new tracks u get from the record pool thats now on radio yet
djaction 5:20 PM - 22 October, 2007
Because most of the new shit is garbage.
Thundercat 5:29 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
I mainly go to hip hop/top 40 type clubs

You answered your own question in your very first sentence.
a-swift 5:43 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:

these type of clubs will typically only pack dance floors with shit that is familiar, period. if it's new, it's not familiar. if you're gonna try something new, be sure at least a portion of the audience will find it familiar, and are into it so the lemmings effect can take hold.
DJBlisk 5:56 PM - 22 October, 2007
bitches don't dance to new shit.
DJ Young Herrera 6:01 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:

haha.
matt212 6:01 PM - 22 October, 2007
Most new songs have to be played at the beginning of the night while everybody is drinking and chilling. Then it can move up in your playlist once you have some people feeling it. Once you have a couple people liking it, others will too because they don't want to feel left out on the newest hottest shit. The next thing you know, you can play that same song during primetime. But the flipside to that is.....that when you finally get to that stage, they started playing it on the radio, so everybody knows it by now. haha.

The moral of the story is, the radio DJ's have to power to make or break the music in the club because people like what's on the radio. The problem is the program director have no clue on what's hot but most of the time the DJ's have to follow the rules.

So, to answer your question, "Why don't club DJ's play new music? It's because the radio program director won't let us. Well, at least that's the way I see it.
djsmuve415 6:18 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:

First time I dropped Timbs - "The way I are" in a packed club - nothing but blank stares.... months later - cant get thru the friggin night without getting at least 3 requests for it and having to play it twice.
Thats the way commercial clubs are - I know that and I except it for what it is. Wish I could have the best of both worlds - do a commercial club one night and then Ibiza the next.. oh well. In my case - pays the rent for the moment, and beats working at Safeway.
DJBlisk 6:25 PM - 22 October, 2007
seroiusly. if you ain't a big time DJ who the crowd came to see, don't think playing new shit is going to make you look good to a dumb crowd. becuase it won't.....

why do I spin again? oh yeah... the money.
The Real DJ Maestro 6:34 PM - 22 October, 2007
yes playing new shit is hard.... I wish alot of new stuff came with acapella so u can but the vocals over a familiar beat and people will vibe to it cuz they know the beat is hot
DJBlisk 6:55 PM - 22 October, 2007
good idea maestro.
The Real DJ Maestro 6:58 PM - 22 October, 2007
i mean its always easier when the beat is familiar. thats what i do. i mass up every new song if it has an acapella, so that people can hear the vocals
DJBlisk 7:01 PM - 22 October, 2007
i do the reverse actually. hahaha
The Real DJ Maestro 7:06 PM - 22 October, 2007
i mean the beats are cool, but people usually fall in love with wack ass chorus, if the chorus is catchy then its a hit, i can pick out a ten songs with catchy choruses and the verses suck ass, ( yes homo ) they suck ass. Soulja Boy, Ay Bay Bay, Wipe Me Down ( love the song but verses are wack ), Championship Bottle ( lil wayne & birdman ) Make It Rain, I can go on and on, but if u play the hook over a familiar beat, they its golden
sixxx 7:10 PM - 22 October, 2007
Wow. The real robots come out.

No one is asking you to blaze them with shit that aint dancy or clubby or hype. You still gotta break songs that are (or would be) apealing if they were on the radio. I guess this kind of experience only comes with time.

Yeah. The money is or can be good. But, if that's the only reason you're spinning, you have no 'business' being a DJ.

To the people that don't break music, there will ALWAYS be excuses.
sixxx 7:13 PM - 22 October, 2007
If you're a robot, you have no business getting promo music or being a part of any record pool. Just wait until a song is charted and you can go buy it like everyone else.
sixxx 7:14 PM - 22 October, 2007
Here's a tip. If you gotta flip the floor, you can do it with a brand new song. The club owner and bartenders will love you for it.
DJBlisk 7:19 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Wow. The real robots come out.

No one is asking you to blaze them with shit that aint dancy or clubby or hype. You still gotta break songs that are (or would be) apealing if they were on the radio. I guess this kind of experience only comes with time.

Yeah. The money is or can be good. But, if that's the only reason you're spinning, you have no 'business' being a DJ.

To the people that don't break music, there will ALWAYS be excuses.

Its not as black and white as that Sir. New music you want to break out is usually not new music that a top 40 club would even like. Plus spinning is fun, but its not fun when you feel like a robot, but you do feel better when you get paid. The idealistic way of thinking is great, but it doesn't translate into real life. some djs spin at top 40 clubs to hopefully get a chance to spin somewhere else that will let them play better music, some djs spin at top 40 clubs to gain enough of a crowd that they are able to do new things since the crowd came to see them. But telling regular djs to break new music isn't the best advice either.

Plus breaking new music isn't easy. Playing it early in your set it not breaking music new music. Playing it remixed with a familiar song is not breaking it either.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:22 PM - 22 October, 2007
Yeah i usually play a newbie and say make ya way to the bars, or i create drink specials. Cuz i got it like that. But most DJ's are Robot sixxx, its about the money and the hoochies at the club, so they play the same shit all day and all night. I know one DJ, he plays the same songs, all night until he hears me break them then he plays it. Thats a biter right there. I break music cuz i like good music. I mean we Kayne and 50 was battling i would do about a ten minute kayne and 50 battle and just go back and forth. A couple DJ's were like u forcing new music on them, now everybody is playing good life
matt212 7:25 PM - 22 October, 2007
Haha @ robots.

I agree with going with a familiar beat than familiar lyrics. Take this one, I know most people wouldn't know the group or the song, but when I played it, they lost their mind when the beat came in. I mean they were singing the hook and everything like they heard it before. haha.

www.zshare.net
The Real DJ Maestro 7:26 PM - 22 October, 2007
I mean i get paid regardless, i do flyers for clubs, websites, and i make beats... Alot of local stuff right now, but most of this local atlanta stuff is blowin' up. Good for me!!! But i mean if u don't break new music, Then u will never be able to seperate ya self from the masses. I get tons of new music, its hard to break every single new song when u have some many songs. I just pick 5 per night and break them, ones that i know will smash.
sixxx 7:26 PM - 22 October, 2007
Once again, excuses.

There is a huuuuuge amount of music being released each week. You're telling me you can't find at least one that is appealing TO YOUR SPECIFIC CROWD? lol

This isn't an idealist idea or goal. It's the way it used to be.... and we are where we are (having to be mindless robots) because of ourselves and our actions. We just don't wanna be accountable for them and rather blame the next guy.

Radio stations are the ones who fucked it up in the first place. Then club DJ's followed like sheep.

Is as simple as asking one question. Who is driving the bus?
The Real DJ Maestro 7:28 PM - 22 October, 2007
Cook cook, has to be the oldest song in the world, J/K its old here in the A thou. I been playing that song for the longest. I always mass it up wit something cuz it old. Hook is very catchy. I wish all new stuff would come with acapellas. Good post matt212, thats my song right there
sixxx 7:28 PM - 22 October, 2007
If you got a song that has a dope danceable beat, catchy lyrics and hooks and you didn't play it because it wasn't on the radio (or the charts) yet, then there's no hope for you.

I get all kinds of shit music that I just throw away. And going a step further, some of us won't play garbage even if it's the #1 song in the nation.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:29 PM - 22 October, 2007
Yeah thats how you gotta be different, if u aint different we all in the same catergory
The Real DJ Maestro 7:30 PM - 22 October, 2007
yeah i play everything. i think i am a microwave.... Cuz i got that heat, bitch!!!! lol
DJMark 7:34 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Is as simple as asking one question. Who is driving the bus?

In 2007, clearly it's radio (and other mass media) driving the bus. They're highly consolidated, well-funded and tightly-controlled. Any one DJ trying to counteract that kind of "musical propaganda" machine (in commercial-type clubs) *is* setting themselves up to be mowed over.

If mainstream club DJ's seriously wanted to try driving the bus, they'd have to organize and cooperate to a much greater extent than they're doing now. To state the obvious, it's quite difficult to imagine that happening.
sixxx 7:36 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
yeah i play with everything. .... Cuz i am an in-heat bitch!!!! lol

Oook? Lol
The Real DJ Maestro 7:37 PM - 22 October, 2007
no its not radio, we drive the bus.... But we let the radio program our route. How come a DJ can't program his own route, we why can't all DJ's program they own route
The Real DJ Maestro 7:37 PM - 22 October, 2007
Sixxx, FUNNY!!!!
DJBlisk 7:38 PM - 22 October, 2007
I know where you guys are coming from. But I just don't think its as black and white as you guys state it to be. I play a lot of new shit when I spin out, some of the dudes on this board can attest to that, but when you're a regular dude trying to make a name for yourself and you're thanking god that you got hooked up with this dope gig and this dope club and you have the owners telling you to keep the dance floor packed, what you going to do?

Play an obscure track that YOU(this is also assuming that you have good taste in music) think is dope, or are you going to play a track that will make the crowd go nuts and make you look good in front of the promoters and owners. a lot of regular djs who don't have a residencey or who don't have a real name have to make a decision.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:38 PM - 22 October, 2007
I am gunning for an exclusive radio show or something. How about the promoter told me last night i was to ghetto with my music, cuz i played a couple of new joints. But it was a packed dance floor
DJBlisk 7:39 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
yeah i play with everything. .... Cuz i am an in-heat bitch!!!! lol

Oook? Lol

lol!
DJBlisk 7:40 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
I am gunning for an exclusive radio show or something. How about the promoter told me last night i was to ghetto with my music, cuz i played a couple of new joints. But it was a packed dance floor

I got that a couple of weeks ago. the guys kept asking for less RAP! on one particular situation, he told me to switch this rap song(talib's "hot thing") to more JT and prince.
sixxx 7:41 PM - 22 October, 2007
Come on now DJMark. You can still follow the 'rules of the game' if you know how to do it. It's all about having a strategy, a plan, the will.

You don't have to be 'mowed over'. No one is saying don't ever follow mainstream appeal agaon. But cats can't even stray away from the norm for one song. Robots.
DJBlisk 7:42 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Come on now DJMark. You can still follow the 'rules of the game' if you know how to do it. It's all about having a strategy, a plan, the will.

You don't have to be 'mowed over'. No one is saying don't ever follow mainstream appeal agaon. But cats can't even stray away from the norm for one song. Robots.[/quote

After going out for so long. I seriously don't think a lot of DJs even like music.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:43 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I got that a couple of weeks ago. the guys kept asking for less RAP! on one particular situation, he told me to switch this rap song(talib's "hot thing") to more JT and prince.

Yes i was told the same thing, i did what was asked but soon as i switched it up. i was three or four songs into the R&B, and the club started clearing out. Mind you its a open mic, showcase show, and after the show i only get about an hour to play, i told the promoter i can't squeeze a whole night into an hour
DJBlisk 7:47 PM - 22 October, 2007
Seriously. Thats what I'm trying to tell Sixxx. It ain't that easy. Who you going to listen too, the owner of the club (who probably doesn't know shit about music) or the top 40 crowd (who probably doesn't know shit about music).
sixxx 7:48 PM - 22 October, 2007
I agree that not every DJ, especially new cats to the game, will know what 'good' breakable music is. There's a lot of shit that comes with experience, and breaking new music is one of them.

I guess if you're only doing an hr set here and there, you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you have a residency, you should at least try. There are 4-5 hours to a residency at a club. I'm sure ONE new song per night could make it in if you really wanted to.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:48 PM - 22 October, 2007
At this present time, i want DJ's to be they own program directors and stop relying on radio to pick that next hit song. I remeber when DJ's made music hot, not a stuffed shirt PD at some radio station. We are the pulse of music, we are the producers, the DJ's. If u don't break music at a club, whats the point of u DJin'. I can turn on the radio and hear the same songs being played ten times a day, why do i wanna go to the club and hear them same songs again
DJBlisk 7:49 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
I agree that not every DJ, especially new cats to the game, will know what 'good' breakable music is. There's a lot of shit that comes with experience, and breaking new music is one of them.

I guess if you're only doing an hr set here and there, you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you have a residency, you should at least try. There are 4-5 hours to a residency at a club. I'm sure ONE new song per night could make it in if you really wanted to.

I agree.
DJBlisk 7:50 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
At this present time, i want DJ's to be they own program directors and stop relying on radio to pick that next hit song. I remeber when DJ's made music hot, not a stuffed shirt PD at some radio station. We are the pulse of music, we are the producers, the DJ's. If u don't break music at a club, whats the point of u DJin'. I can turn on the radio and hear the same songs being played ten times a day, why do i wanna go to the club and hear them same songs again

sadly... there are too many microwaves... making our importance go downhill.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:51 PM - 22 October, 2007
No excuses, shit i do an hour set when i travel.... And i will play some new hot shit, especially if its a town that don't know nothing about atlanta, I go hard on that A-town shit
dj luis 7:51 PM - 22 October, 2007
i don't play stuff that wasn't released or didn't play on the radio at least once - it's easy to stay safe if i play whatever hits the shelf - although i don't listen to radio, i know that it was played before..

.. then, at night i just keep the tracks on the prepare window and drop them when i get the crowd "in my hands" - never works - people get a big confused:

"oh no! what he's he playin? i'm such an idiot! i don't know this song - how do we dance this ?"

then, as my edm school told me (and maestro said it) i start blending on the back some really known loop around that bpm, swap bass, they know the rhythm, know the beat but still don't know the song...

"this is familiar, but i don't know... oh no.. i'm such an idiot! i still don't know this song - i don't know how to dance in the first place!"

so i release the loop and let them dance to some 10 year old overplayed song...

i give them something they want for the next 10 minutes than:

BANG! here you go something new bitches - no cry again...

all night long... they hate electro but i got them dancing to shiny grey's "why" so they will learn...

maestro: same happened to me with "the way i are" - a fellow dj came to at the time and was like: that beat is great but this poor helpless souls aren't ready for this yet - look at their pathetic faces looking at you without a fucking clue of what's happening...

:)

p.s. - they will learn.. good or bad way, they will learn..
The Real DJ Maestro 7:53 PM - 22 October, 2007
Yeah to many conventional oven, shit.... That, I'm gonna do me, regardless. If they don't like it don't hire me. But they know if u good, u gonna bring the noise. Shit! Don't be programmed!
sixxx 7:54 PM - 22 October, 2007
Let me put it in perspective. And, I'm gonna use this next song only because it fits the example. Girls Kiss Girls wasn't getting any airplay yet. It was unknown by the masses. Not that it is hugely popular now but at least it's in radio rotation.

OK. I head to San Franciso and I spin as a guest DJ at Milk. I had a set of 20 mins or so... I don't do pre-planned sets. It aint my thing. So, I go through my charted, hits crate (which also has new songs thay I think are hot) and blaze the dancefloor. I played Girls Kiss Girls and the crowd loved it. They asked who it was right after I played it. Grand T can testify to that.

Is it possible to do that? Yes.

Will it work always? Nope.

But, you gotta feel the vibe and let your experience guide you. They don't call it reading the crowd for nothing.
The Real DJ Maestro 7:55 PM - 22 October, 2007
Yeah i mean, shit i have been to many cities.... and when i take something new over a old beat, they look crazy, but see i am a mic hogg as well as a good DJ.... My new favorite line, u gonna love this, if u don't dance oh well, kill ya self. But i gurantee in two weeks. U will love it.
Logisticalstyles 7:58 PM - 22 October, 2007
Most people that complain about this type of thing don't have the pressure of keeping people dancing and in the club. Either that or they don't have the exerience to know how crowds will react to the music they play. I bacame a DJ because I like playing the song that gets the people crunk. If I wanted to break new music I would go someplace where the focus isn't dancing. DJs play Top 40 music at Top 40 clubs. Period. If you want to hear Country, go to a country club. If you want to DJ for a bunch of mindless head bobbers that don't dance, let alone buy drinks, go to your local underground "new" music club.

It's real simple if the DJ don't play what you don't like , then don't go to that club. If you can't handle , then you deserve every bit of frustration that you serve yourself.
DJBlisk 8:01 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Most people that complain about this type of thing don't have the pressure of keeping people dancing and in the club. Either that or they don't have the exerience to know how crowds will react to the music they play. I bacame a DJ because I like playing the song that gets the people crunk. If I wanted to break new music I would go someplace where the focus isn't dancing. DJs play Top 40 music at Top 40 clubs. Period. If you want to hear Country, go to a country club. If you want to DJ for a bunch of mindless head bobbers that don't dance, let alone buy drinks, go to your local underground "new" music club.

It's real simple if the DJ don't play what you don't like , then don't go to that club. If you can't handle , then you deserve every bit of frustration that you serve yourself.

Ummm... I'm not on this bandwagon.
sixxx 8:06 PM - 22 October, 2007
Hahahah. Yeah. Now that was some stupid shit to say. Seriously, no one is saying break new country music at your top 40 spot. Or break underground music for that matter.

Hahahahaha

There's a time and place for that.

What a microwave. Keep it 'crunk'.

Wavies +1
The Real DJ Maestro 8:08 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:

I don't agree, this where the problem lies. The same 30 songs all night.
Nothing out the ordinary, what seperates u from Montay, DJ Hershey, Or anybody else in atlanta
dj luis 8:09 PM - 22 October, 2007
sixxx said it (again)

it's about reading the crowd - it doesn't work anytime but it's the way you set the mood...

i don't think you can drop 'salmon dance' just because.. you have to set the mood and then drop the tune...

plus (and this is my very very own opinion) - if you're scratching something in or you just cut/paste or choping or whatever you want to call to the technique where you stop one song and play another people will look on the back of their heads for that beat - if they don't know it and they're not expecting then, my friend, you just fkd up your mix...

on the other end, while the old beat is still playing and you start earing the first lyrics from the next song but you're still dancing hooked to the last beat it's harder to stop and look to the dj...

you're dancing the new tune for 1min so just keep going muppet...
The Real DJ Maestro 8:11 PM - 22 October, 2007
DJ's are puppet masters, u control the floor..... So if u gonna keep playing the same songs all night, then i can go to another club hear the same stuff, why even go out and listen to the DJ's turn on the radio and get ya fix.
DJBlisk 8:13 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
DJ's are puppet masters, u control the floor..... So if u gonna keep playing the same songs all night, then i can go to another club hear the same stuff, why even go out and listen to the DJ's turn on the radio and get ya fix.

becuase there are girlies!!!!! woo hoo girlies!!! in all of their makeup and fake tits glory!!!
sixxx 8:13 PM - 22 October, 2007
Your club owner or manager (or even promoter) may have hired you for one of two reasons. 1. Because you know what you're doing. 2. Because you follow orders like a nice little slave.

Of course, you gotta please the crowd, but if all you do is listen and play what the owner wants you to play (aka playlist), then it sucks to be you.

The people who hired you should respect you enough to know that you can handle any situation. The club who hires me didn't do so because I play new music here and there. They hired me cause I can give people a good time (no sex) and still do my job.
sixxx 8:19 PM - 22 October, 2007
Lol @ girlies....

Fair enough. Hahahaha

It isn't easy breaking new music but there are ways. Many different creative ways to do so. But, you can't for the unwilling I guess.... but if you're the owner, manager or promoter, you can sure force one down though. lol

.... that is if you let yourself.
The Real DJ Maestro 8:21 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Your club owner or manager (or even promoter) may have hired you for one of two reasons. 1. Because you know what you're doing. 2. Because you follow orders like a nice little slave.

Of course, you gotta please the crowd, but if all you do is listen and play what the owner wants you to play (aka playlist), then it sucks cuz my name is sixxx.

The people who hired you should respect you enough to know that you can handle any situation. The club who hires me didn't do so because I play new music here and there. They hired me cause I can give the owner good sex and still do my job.
sixxx 8:21 PM - 22 October, 2007
.... and I don't break new music becauser some record label is buying me clothes, gear, kicks... it's cause it's what I love to do. I enjoy great music. Even not so great music that can keep them dancing. DJing is more than skills... it's a good feeling.
sixxx 8:22 PM - 22 October, 2007
Hahahhaha. Maestro.
a-swift 8:24 PM - 22 October, 2007
i want sixxx to come to my club and critique my set for me
The Real DJ Maestro 8:26 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Hahahhaha. Maestro.

my funny for the day,
but i get clothes and gear, but that was after i started breaking new music, i guess they trust my ear. Cuz i make music hot, before the radio. If u can be ahead of the game, then you will get rewards for ya efforts
The Real DJ Maestro 8:27 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
i want sixxx to come to my club and DJ my set for me
djnvs 8:31 PM - 22 October, 2007
Most clubs I spin are more "dirty south" than top 40.... but I still play more uptempo shit...I even drop "girls kiss girls" because they are danceable songs... it doesn't really matter where you spin.... you just have to know your limits... if I play a new song, I always have something ready in case it doesn't go over to well...
sixxx 8:33 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
i want sixxx to come to my club and critique my set for me

All I need is a real invite and for sure. :)
sixxx 8:33 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
i want sixxx to come to my club and DJ my set for me

hahaha
sixxx 8:34 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Most clubs I spin are more "dirty south" than top 40.... but I still play more uptempo shit...I even drop "girls kiss girls" because they are danceable songs... it doesn't really matter where you spin.... you just have to know your limits... if I play a new song, I always have something ready in case it doesn't go over to well...

Hell yeah. It's the 30 second rule! hahaha
The Real DJ Maestro 8:35 PM - 22 October, 2007
i give all new songs at least one verse and a chorus, if it don't go well. If it goes over well, then i let it rock out fot a minute, But if its all south music, then u are at a limit, but thats when u thug out some r&b vocals over south beats. If u can't play any new music then ya a microwave
dirtbag filthy 8:37 PM - 22 October, 2007
at the start of my set i play music i like....and then
sixxx 8:45 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
at the start of my set i play music i like....and then I jack off for the rest of the night

huh?
The Real DJ Maestro 8:52 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
at the start of my set i play music i like....and then I jack off for the rest of the night

huh?

FUNNY!
shiestO! 8:55 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
cause nobody dance no mo all dey do iz dis all dey do iz dis

i've lost "still standing" like 50 times i need to re-buy that shit.
dirtbag filthy 8:58 PM - 22 October, 2007
lol pretty much

add your own...and then i play hot garbage and watch hot chicks dance to it and request more hot garbage
djpuma_gemini 8:59 PM - 22 October, 2007
love goodie mob.
You guys make me not want to come out of the bedroom (no homo)
no misquotes of closet either.
I can understand what you guys are saying to a certain degree, but don't have the experience that you guys have. I would love to be able to drop new songs on people in the club. From this thread it seems like it is real hard to do it without clearing the floor unless you mash it with a hot inst or something along those lines. I also know you can't just play what you want because that won't work either. Is it safe to say that you wouldn't drop a brand new song during the peak hours of the club?
sixxx 9:01 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
lol pretty much

add your own...and then i play with my balls and watch hot chicks dance to them and request more hot balls

Daaaamn!

hahahaha
sixxx 9:03 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Is it safe to say that you wouldn't drop a brand new song during the peak hours of the club?

Negative. There's no written rule as to when you can drop a new song. All you had to do is rely on your timing and your ability to read the crowd. There are times where the crowds are too pumped up to wanna leave the dance floor.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:05 PM - 22 October, 2007
u a dj, u have to right to play whatever u think is hot.... That what will seperate u from the rest of the newbies and conventional ovens who play the same 30 songs every night.
djpuma_gemini 9:05 PM - 22 October, 2007
Good, that is what I was thinking. Then if the crowd was dwindling down cause the music selection wasn't right for them, now wouldn't be a good time to drop a new one. Probably clear the floor. Not fishing for answers here, just seeing if I am thinking along the right track.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:06 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
lol pretty much

add your own...and then i play with my balls and watch hot chicks dance to them and request more hot balls

Daaaamn!

hahahaha

These dudes are setting them selves up for all this shit sixxx, i am laughing hella hard over here.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:07 PM - 22 October, 2007
if u playin' all new music, one after another..... and not setting the songs up, yes the dance floor will clear out.... U gotta set up a new song behind a hot song, don't play a wack song and then a new song. Thats a recipe for diaster right there.
Dudley D 9:08 PM - 22 October, 2007
we are just like sheep.
djpuma_gemini 9:08 PM - 22 October, 2007
See I don't feel like playing all the old shit. Before I started djing, I was the guy who would get the latest music, burn it to cd or throw it on the ipod and drive around just to hear it loud and see how much I liked it or not.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:08 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
I sleep with sheep.
sixxx 9:08 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lol pretty much

Daaaamn!

hahahaha

These dudes are setting them selves up to view my shit sixxx, i am laughing hella hard over here.

Don't ask. Don't tell.
sixxx 9:09 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
I sleep with sheep.

hahaha
The Real DJ Maestro 9:10 PM - 22 October, 2007
thats always good to listen to new music before u bump it in the club, if u like it.... Then everyone else will like it as well. If u put ya stamp of approval on it, then folks will vibe it
sixxx 9:11 PM - 22 October, 2007
That's what I do Puma. Burn new music in mp3 format to listen on my ride to work. 2 hours back and forth. If I'm not doing that, I'm reviewing a mixtape from scratchlive dot net.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:13 PM - 22 October, 2007
U gotta feel music before u play it, U can't just drop new stuff with getting a feel for it ( no homo )

This post should not be jacked by sixxx
a-swift 9:13 PM - 22 October, 2007
well sixxx when you are done at your residency, you can come check me out on a saturday night and then come into the forums and talk your smack about my set
DJBlisk 9:14 PM - 22 October, 2007
if you're a microwave, you probably dont' have taste in music either.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:15 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
That's what I do Puma. Burn new nuts in mp3 format to smash them in my car door. 2 hours back and forth and i get my burning nuts some ice. If I'm not doing that, I'm reviewing gay porno from scratchlive dot net.
sixxx 9:16 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
well sixxx when you are done at your residency, you can come check me out on a saturday night and then come into the forums and talk your smack about my set

Wtf? Do I have a helicopter or something? hahahaha

And time travel is out of the question.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:18 PM - 22 October, 2007
u the man sixxx, take the helicopter to his gig, or get a-swift gay police escort to take you to the club
sixxx 9:19 PM - 22 October, 2007
a-swift... you do know I dj Fridays and Saturday nights... right? Impossible for me to do unless I have a night off.
The Real DJ Maestro 9:19 PM - 22 October, 2007
Rate the new Talib Kweli
1. Do u have his album
2. Are u playing Hot Thing
3. Dou u play anything from Kweli
DJMark 9:19 PM - 22 October, 2007
One thing I can think of that might actually work (in places where you're a resident DJ, and have a top-40 crowd where it's harder to break in new music): make a mix-CD with all (or mostly) new stuff, and give some copies to customers. They might listen to it and then be familiar enough with some of the new songs to dance to them the next time they're out.
Thundercat 9:21 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
If you want to DJ for a bunch of mindless head bobbers that don't dance, let alone buy drinks, go to your local underground "new" music club.

The underground scene is not like that at all. At least not around here. If that's the way it is in Atlanta I do feel sorry for you.
sixxx 9:22 PM - 22 October, 2007
DJMark!!!!! Bingo!!!!

I used to do that shit a lot!!! I used to do mix CD's. Give them the usual crap but then mix either underground or stuff that wasn't popular. It works with regulars for sure!
sixxx 9:22 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
One thing I can think of that might actually work (in places where you're a resident DJ, and have a top-40 crowd where it's harder to break in new music): make a mix-CD with all (or mostly) new stuff, and give some copies to customers. They might listen to it and then be familiar enough with some of the new songs to dance to them the next time they're out.

Best tip so far.
DJBlisk 9:23 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Rate the new Talib Kweli
1. Do u have his album
2. Are u playing Hot Thing
3. Dou u play anything from Kweli

not a fan!
sixxx 9:23 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
If you want to DJ for a bunch of mindless head bobbers that don't dance, let alone buy drinks, go to your local underground "new" music club.

The underground scene is not like that at all. At least not around here. If that's the way it is in Atlanta I do feel sorry for you.

+1

Hip hop shows turned into clubs after the shows are done and people love to dance.

He hit us with some stereotype bullshit. lol

Wavies +1
DJBlisk 9:25 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Hip hop shows turned into clubs after the shows are done and people love to dance.

Wavies +1

see! this discussion is going no where.
DJMark 9:27 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
DJMark!!!!! Bingo!!!!

I used to do that shit a lot!!! I used to do mix CD's. Give them the usual crap but then mix either underground or stuff that wasn't popular. It works with regulars for sure!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you'd want to be a little selective about who you're giving the CD's to (unless you don't mind wasting a lot of discs, and possibly having them used against you as a counterprogramming tool by competitors)...the regulars are key to "driving" everyone else in a sense.
a-swift 9:28 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
a-swift... you do know I dj Fridays and Saturday nights... right? Impossible for me to do unless I have a night off.

i thought your club was closing. nevermind then.
DJMark 9:34 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

There's a lot of flavors of "underground" (that could refer to anything from an illegal drug-fueled rave to an invite-list-only event in a chi-chi lounge), but my experience in general with non-mainstream bars/clubs is that the people are better-behaved in general (much less need for security), spend more at the bar, and tip better.
Thundercat 9:35 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
unless you don't mind wasting a lot of discs, and possibly having them used against you as a counterprogramming tool by competitors

If another DJ wants to copy my mix cd playlist and run my set, that's fine. If he wants to program contrary to my set, that's fine too. My set will be different next week.

To quote Santa: "There can be only one."
DJ'Que 9:49 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
I mainly go to hip hop/top 40 type clubs and I notice that hardly anyone plays anything brand new. Its all the same played out stuff I hear on the radio. Its so easy to get songs before they become hits so why aren't dj's taking a chance?
this is why you answered it you self (Its all the same played out stuff I hear on the radio)and on the radio its all playlist crap so the club dj just goes to whatever radio station website go to the playlist and go from their,I play new music in the club sometimes in the 2nd hour as they are getting their drinks in their system,or when the party is about to end and say I need crowd participation on some new music,and if your a good dj you can ready the crowd and atmost fear of the crowd as the night goes on,but most club dj's stick to top 40 radio crap,i was at the club sat with a friend after I did a high school homecoming dance went their to see how he was doing their was three dj's (over kill)and one dj played crank dat 3 time back to back never would I do That.but it was funny the crowd was like what the fuck.but any way.look at the crowd thats coming in or already in the club and go from their,
sixxx 9:55 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
DJMark!!!!! Bingo!!!!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that you'd want to be a little selective about who you're giving the CD's to (unless you don't mind wasting a lot of discs, and possibly having them used against you as a counterprogramming tool by competitors)...the regulars are key to "driving" everyone else in a sense.

For sure... drops galore!!!
sixxx 9:56 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

i thought your club was closing. nevermind then.

Yeah. Next weekend was supposed to be my last night. As it turns out. The owners still want to keep this place open until they really have to shut it down. Fuckers. I was really looking forward to some time off. Now I'm going to be all tired when driving up North for the jammy jam. Blah
sixxx 9:57 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's a lot of flavors of "underground" (that could refer to anything from an illegal drug-fueled rave to an invite-list-only event in a chi-chi lounge), but my experience in general with non-mainstream bars/clubs is that the people are better-behaved in general (much less need for security), spend more at the bar, and tip better.

+1

I still haven't seen a fight at an underground event where most people seem to know each other vs a regular club or bar.
sixxx 9:58 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

Wavies +1

see! this discussion is going no where.

What do you mean? It's the truth. Somehow people think that underground cats or people who listen to underground don't like to dance to regular shit. They actually do love regular mainstream shit. They also love underground/indie too though.
sixxx 10:00 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
I play new music in the club sometimes in the 2nd hour as they are getting their drinks in their system,or when the party is about to end and say I need crowd participation on some new music,and if your a good dj you can ready the crowd and atmost fear of the crowd as the night goes on,but most club dj's stick to top 40 radio crap

+1
sixxx 10:02 PM - 22 October, 2007
a-swift... as soon as this club closes for sure, I'm going to be heading down South to party with you guys. You best believe that.

I'll let you know. For now, sucks to be me. I really wanted some time off.
djnvs 10:14 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
lol pretty much

Daaaamn!

hahahaha

These dudes are setting them selves up to view my shit sixxx, i am laughing hella hard over here.

Please ask, I'll do.

?????
sixxx 10:16 PM - 22 October, 2007
hahaha. djnvs hahahah.
djnvs 10:19 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
a-swift... as soon as this club closes for sure, I'm going to be going down on you guys at the party. You best believe that.

I'll let you know. For now, I'll suck on some meat. I really wanted some man love.

whoa!!!
dj_soo 10:20 PM - 22 October, 2007
personally djing for me is all about the music so I prefer the underground shows that I get booked for - parties still go off and it's a lot more rewarding to know the crowd is also grooving to music that I personally love rather than just liking the song cause the radio tells them it's hot.

Underground fans are usually more knowledgeable about DJing and DJ technique in general so they "get" a hot mix or a great blend.

Same goes for the EDM nights although the e-tard quotient is a lot higher...
djpuma_gemini 10:20 PM - 22 October, 2007
This misqoute is the new (no logout) rip

Let's hope we don't have a (misqoute) group start up on myspace or something.
a-swift 10:30 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
a-swift... as soon as this club closes for sure, I'm going to be heading down South to party with you guys. You best believe that.

I'll let you know. For now, sucks to be me. I really wanted some time off.

c'mon down. let's rock! you know you can always get in hour in at my spot if you want. or you can chill and see how i get down.
sixxx 10:38 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
c'mon down. let's rock! you know you can always get in hour in at my spot if you want. or you can chill and see how i go down on guys.

No.

hahahaha

But seriously, I'm coming through as soon as I get some nights off! (misquote ready).
djnvs 10:43 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
c'mon down. let's rock! you know you can always get in hour in at my spot if you want. or you can chill and see how i go down on guys.

No.

hahahaha

But seriously, I'm blowing you as soon as I finish myself off! (misquote done).

done
sixxx 10:44 PM - 22 October, 2007
hahahahaha!!!
nik39 11:16 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
They play it because the crowd is brutal, all the clubs i go to downtown freak out if the main hip hop Dj plays anything they have never heard of and i have seen it happen, its not pretty when you drop an unknown track and everyone on the dance floor stops to look at you....

True...

Quote:
There is a huuuuuge amount of music being released each week. You're telling me you can't find at least one that is appealing TO YOUR SPECIFIC CROWD? lol

This isn't an idealist idea or goal. It's the way it used to be.... and we are where we are (having to be mindless robots) because of ourselves and our actions. We just don't wanna be accountable for them and rather blame the next guy.

Sorry, but the audience is d.u.m.b.

Quote:
if you have a residency, you should at least try. There are 4-5 hours to a residency at a club. I'm sure ONE new song per night could make it in if you really wanted to.

Agreed. But is that what you would define as breaking in new music? PLaying one new non-top40-yet song?

Quote:
it's about reading the crowd - it doesn't work anytime but it's the way you set the mood...

Agree.
sixxx 11:28 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Agreed. But is that what you would define as breaking in new music? PLaying one new non-top40-yet song?

Nope. That's not the way I definite it. But you gotta start somewhere for the people who are having a hard time breaking new music.
nik39 11:30 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Nope. That's not the way I definite it. But you gotta start somewhere for the people who are having a hard time breaking new music.

You mean the crowd? Hahaha.

There is no hope. Majority of the crowd is d.u.m.b. and s.t.u.p.i.d. Period.
sixxx 11:35 PM - 22 October, 2007
Nah... the DJ's. hahahah. But I get the joke. lol
sixxx 11:35 PM - 22 October, 2007
And actually, the majority of the population is d.u.m.b. either way and has nothing to do with music. That's why it makes it so much easier to trick them. You just gotta find the edge.
nik39 11:44 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
That's why it makes it so much easier to trick them.

lol... trying to beat me with my own argument? haha.

Okay, the way we break in new music is just too advanced for them, so they dont understand it.

You know what they do if they understand you - soujah boy dance

You know what they do if they dont understand you - stare at you - frozen.
bourbonstmc 11:49 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
a-swift... for sure, I'm going down on you guys. You best believe that.

I'll let you know. For now, suck me. I really want to get off.
sixxx 11:49 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

lol... trying to beat me with my own argument? haha.

Hell yeah. I'm good. :)
djnvs 11:53 PM - 22 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

lol... trying to beat your meat with my own hand? haha.

Hell yeah. I'm good. :)

dude!!!
nik39 11:55 PM - 22 October, 2007
lol
sixxx 11:55 PM - 22 October, 2007
hahahaha
Maskrider 11:32 AM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:

It ain't easy being cheesy
djbigboy 3:25 PM - 23 October, 2007
Sixx - you are funny and dispensing all the advice for free.

You have to know how to program new music. You have to have a couple of songs in mind when you come into the club that night and be thinking "I am gonna make my mark with this song".

I think its important to know your venue and who you are playing for. One of my gigs in SF, I know I can play new local artists and girly top 40.

My gig in SJ, I know I can play new dirty south, international and girly music. (the key to djing is playing for the chicks, don't take dude requests)

You can't break a new EDM song in a hip hop club...it also helps that when you are playing something "different" whether its new music or changing genre, that you mix extra clean. There are often certain songs that I use as a gateway song to play something new.

There are ways to play new music, it just takes some preplanning and some experience...
sixxx 3:28 PM - 23 October, 2007
Well said. Can you post that in my other thread about Suggestions to breaking new music? Thanks
djbigboy 3:44 PM - 23 October, 2007
which part? the part about being funny?

np
sixxx 4:24 PM - 23 October, 2007
lol... nah. The part about suggestions. lol
djnvs 6:59 PM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:
Sixx - you are fruity and dispensing all the ass for free.

He called you fruity.....haha
sixxx 7:03 PM - 23 October, 2007
Good thing Sixx is that cat from San Diego. hahahaha
djnvs 7:23 PM - 23 October, 2007
Haha..yup....
dj KarrsiN 8:46 PM - 23 October, 2007
Quote:

Doesn't that answer your own question?

Top 40 clubs usually play the same old stuff.. Find a new club to go to..
Serato Sux 7:47 AM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Doesn't that answer your own question?

Top 40 clubs usually play the same old stuff.. Find a new club to go to..

Yep.

It's usually not hard to break new music in clubs. Can you people mix? That's what makes the difference.
djnvs 7:59 AM - 24 October, 2007
its not the mixing...its the song.. if people dont feel the song, you messed up the mood... man... are you really that much of a douche cock?
Maskrider 8:11 AM - 24 October, 2007
Hey You Sux!!! Do you know how to mix?
sixxx 12:53 PM - 24 October, 2007
If you can mix, you can play dodgeball.
djpuma_gemini 2:58 PM - 24 October, 2007
IF you can dodge a mixer you can dodge a ball.
misquote anyone.
dj luis 3:40 PM - 24 October, 2007
ok puma: i gotta ask..

why do you always ask for misquotes ?
DJ Young Herrera 3:57 PM - 24 October, 2007
zzzzzz....
Dizrupt 4:02 PM - 24 October, 2007
And if u can dodge a 12in vinyl u can dodge a ball.. haha.
DJBlisk 4:25 PM - 24 October, 2007
Mr. Serato Sux... please refrain from saying things just to get a reaction. Your arguments are flawed and your reasoning is crazy wack.
sixxx 4:38 PM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:

why do you always ask for blowjobs?

Huh?
Serato Sux 4:41 PM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
Mr. Serato Sux... please refrain from saying things just to get a reaction. Your arguments are flawed and your reasoning is crazy wack.

My point is that songs are easier to introduce if mixed, versus just played from the beginning.

Quote:
are you really that much of a douche cock?

Oh, you can say that, right? Should I hit the report button?
sixxx 5:00 PM - 24 October, 2007
Well, if you're a DJ... you better be mixing. That's all I gotta say about that.
DJBlisk 5:01 PM - 24 October, 2007
some east coast djs's don't mix Sixxx.

and I wasn't trying ot be an ass. Its the truth.
sixxx 5:03 PM - 24 October, 2007
Oh I know... and in my eyes... they suck.
matt212 5:05 PM - 24 October, 2007
East Coast DJ's do mix.......we mix Henny with coke. haha.
sixxx 5:22 PM - 24 October, 2007
hahaha
DJ Young Herrera 6:00 PM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
East Coast DJ's do mix.......we mix Heroine with coke. haha.

wow. you guys need help.
sixxx 6:03 PM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
East Coast DJ's do mix.......we mix Heroine with coke. haha.

wow. you guys need my help?

?
DJ Young Herrera 6:05 PM - 24 October, 2007
damnit.
djpuma_gemini 7:30 PM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:

why do you always ask for misquotes ?

I wouldn't say I always do. I feel that the misquote will come anyway. So why not invite it.
It's not like I want every post to be a misquote, but it has grown since it first started.
dj luis 7:32 PM - 24 October, 2007
but it's not fun if you're expecting
SantaClawz 7:34 PM - 24 October, 2007
because most djs are scared little bitches and wait for the real DJ's to break the new music out there, for the sheep to play once we make it hot.
djpuma_gemini 7:34 PM - 24 October, 2007
I know a guy who doesn't mix, I thought he was a noob dj, but he has been doing it for years and even produces music. According to his website. At the club on avalon. He will almost go all night without mixing. BOO. Last weekend he was doing this whole michael jackson theme, not sure if it was prerecorded or not. And also he would play going back to cali and then use the inst of the song and throw an acap over it so it was like 8 minutes of going back to cali inst. Wasn't feeling it. not sure if it was live or pre recorded.
I am going to call him on it next time I roll over there.
Dj_KaGeN 8:21 PM - 24 October, 2007
video tape it..... and be sure to get that in hi-def when he calls you out, I wanna see you shake like a leaf at the decks again.
DJBlisk 8:22 PM - 24 October, 2007
thats just mean KaGen
Dj_KaGeN 8:23 PM - 24 October, 2007
no Blisk, I will not got to Remix with you - so stop asking.
DJ Young Herrera 8:24 PM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
video tape it..... and be sure to get that in hi-def when he calls you out, I wanna see you shake like a leaf at the decks again.

Did I miss something?
Dj_KaGeN 8:25 PM - 24 October, 2007
that is a No Logout Tour inside joke.
DJBlisk 8:29 PM - 24 October, 2007
Quote:
no Blisk, I will not got to Remix with you - so stop asking.

LOL!!
djpuma_gemini 9:02 PM - 24 October, 2007
No more shakes. come down to atrium this weekend. oh wait you will be there. j/k

Im working on the nerves.
Thanks for the support cajun.
DJBlisk 9:05 PM - 24 October, 2007
Nerves? I usually drink. that helps mine.
djpuma_gemini 9:14 AM - 25 October, 2007
Drank waaaayy too much last time. One or two should suffice.
Dj_KaGeN 4:53 PM - 25 October, 2007
^^ wuss.... can't handle man beer.
Serato Sux 7:33 PM - 25 October, 2007
Quote:
^^ wuss.... can't handle man beer.

I thought beer was usually made from barley and water.
Mr. $weetlife 10:09 PM - 25 October, 2007
Quote:
My gig in SJ, I know I can play new dirty south, international and girly music. (the key to djing is playing for the chicks, don't take dude requests)

There you have it! It's all about the ladies, but once you gain their trust you can branch out a bit!
dj shadow from detroit 3:52 AM - 26 October, 2007
the best tip like said earlier is to make a mix of new exclusive stuff.

and give it out @ the club.

promote the shit out of your self.
with mix cds and new music people will start loving your adifferent style.then every other club,mix dj.
DJ Young Herrera 12:35 PM - 26 October, 2007
Quote:
the best tip like said earlier is to make a mix of new exclusive stuff.

and give it out @ the club.

promote the shit out of your self.
with mix cds and new music people will start loving your adifferent style.then every other club,mix dj.

This is a good idea. I've done this too.
Dj Gains Bond 6:40 PM - 26 October, 2007
i dont give 2 shucks, i will play it if I like it first and secondly if someone asks for it. You will be surprised what ppl ask for. I break records, plain and simple. I want you to know I played it first.
sixxx 6:44 PM - 26 October, 2007
Quote:
i dont give 2 shucks, i will play it if I like it first and secondly if someone asks for it. You will be surprised what ppl ask for. I break records, plain and simple. I want you to know I played it first.

+1
Old School Joe 7:20 PM - 26 October, 2007
Quote:

exactly, well said