DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Does anyone know to how to produce a mix on Pro Tools???

Jimmy Styx 9:40 PM - 21 November, 2011
I'm a DJ been doing this for a number of years and I'm solid on mixing live. However when it comes to producing a mix on any platform, acid, logic, ableton etc.. I suck! You name it, I can't figure it out, too many questions! I have been using pro tools to produce radio stuff VO work and imaging dj drops that kinda stuff, as that's my background so I know how to use it for that reason. But I understand Pro Tools can be a sick program to produce DJ mixes.

My question to you, Do you know how to mix songs together on Pro Tools and can you show me how? Or is there a great video that you can show me? Does Pitch 'N Time do that kinda stuff? I've seen hundreds of videos on looping and making a song but nothing on actually blending two songs together.

thanks!
Wazo 10:24 PM - 21 November, 2011
i would also be interested in learning this.
the_black_one 10:26 PM - 21 November, 2011
Logic is what i produce on. At the radio station we have pro tools from imaging. I can put things together in pro tools but not produce
sixxx 12:04 AM - 22 November, 2011
No idea why you would want to produce a mix on pro tools when it's a multi-tracking program. That alone allows you to make a sick mix in real time while editing your fuck ups or you could "layer" stuff onto the mix using more than one track.
sacrilicious 12:14 AM - 22 November, 2011
The most basic way without recording into it live is to put each song onto a different channel in your software and slightly overlap them left to right along the timeline then add whatever automation for EQ/volume that you need. It's really no different than adding pieces to a multitracked song...
sacrilicious 12:15 AM - 22 November, 2011
You really just need to read the basic tutorials for your software and this will be no issue at all.
sixxx 12:33 AM - 22 November, 2011
Quote:
You really just need to read the basic tutorials for your software and this will be no issue at all.

This... and I believe you have to have one of the newest versions of pro-tools that has time stretching on it....

Again, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO DO THIS? lol
dj_soo 1:13 AM - 22 November, 2011
Quote:

+1 RTFM
latindj 1:28 AM - 22 November, 2011
if you're using the latest version of pro tools, just hit the "auto mix" button. it's the big red one right in the middle with the word "noob" on it...
dj poisonous handz 2:07 AM - 22 November, 2011
dj poisonous handz 2:08 AM - 22 November, 2011
sixxx 2:42 AM - 22 November, 2011
Upgrade to Pro today... bandwidth exceeded. lol
sacrilicious 3:30 AM - 22 November, 2011
I'm starting to do most all of my mixtapes in a DAW and focusing on achieving a perfect flow, consistent sound, etc. I'd be best of with the Bridge but I really like snipping tiny bits and pieces to make it the best I can. If it doesn't sound brilliant or hype then you're doing t wrong, though.
sacrilicious 3:32 AM - 22 November, 2011
(yes you can do that on turntables as well hopefully but I'm going for a produced/seemless feel with extra production from synths, redrums, extended and shortened edits and it's easier to take a few listens and move things around cleanly)
SUBSTANCE 8:01 PM - 22 November, 2011
Probably easier in Ableton but what you want to do is use the tempo grid on ProTools.
That way you have a measurement for overlaying the two tracks you want.
Even then, you would have to feed the audio in at the same bpm (or time stretch) which is waaaay more of a pain in the ass than turntables or warping in Ableton.
For re-drums & adding instruments you want the bpm grid along the top as opposed to time.
Jimmy Styx 4:15 AM - 1 December, 2011
So other than "Auto mix" on the latest pro tools, no one really knows how to beat match and match a DJ session on pro tools?! Btw Pro Tools is what all song producers use to create sure, someone can come back and say no no, they use other programs too! Basically what im sayin is if you can make a killer song on Pro Tools than im certain you can make a kick ass DJ mix on there too. Just a matter of knowing how to do it.
sixxx 4:35 AM - 1 December, 2011
Just... it's very simple... it's called using the different tracks. You can use 2, 3, 4... hell, all 48 if you wanted to... but you don't really need to. 3 is usually enough for a mix.
HYDRO MATIC 7:53 PM - 1 December, 2011
literally have almost 12 years on pro tools....your bugging
84 7:29 AM - 15 March, 2017
I need help with pro tools. Don't know how to go about asking for it properly. Just know my goal is to audio engineer in pro tools. I have pro tools 12 . It's not HD. I have many questions about this. willing to pay. Do I need virtual dj ? I know I'll mostly record hip hop, and rnb. Help! NEEDED!
Mister Wilson 2:00 AM - 18 March, 2017
Quote:
I need help with pro tools. Don't know how to go about asking for it properly. Just know my goal is to audio engineer in pro tools. I have pro tools 12 . It's not HD. I have many questions about this. willing to pay. Do I need virtual dj ? I know I'll mostly record hip hop, and rnb. Help! NEEDED!

What are you trying to do with it? I spent 10 years as an engineer and know ProTools like the back of my hand.
Taipanic 6:44 PM - 20 March, 2017
If you are putting a bunch of tracks together in a DAW it's not a DJ Mix. Real DJs mix tracks live. I don't get you cats making "mixes" in a DAW then passing them off like you can do that shit live. I'd rather my mixes be out there, flaws and all, then to try and come off as something I'm not. The whole concept of DJing is to program music creatively on the fly, for the moment. Save the production work for actual tracks or tools to use with your mixes.
diabolical 7:23 PM - 22 March, 2017
Quote:
If you are putting a bunch of tracks together in a DAW it's not a DJ Mix. Real DJs mix tracks live. I don't get you cats making "mixes" in a DAW then passing them off like you can do that shit live. I'd rather my mixes be out there, flaws and all, then to try and come off as something I'm not. The whole concept of DJing is to program music creatively on the fly, for the moment. Save the production work for actual tracks or tools to use with your mixes.

For context I am a long time vinyl DJ, and I understand your point of view. But I still produce mixes digitally by recording and sequencing them into a DAW to make them perfect. The intention is to produce mixes to a high standard without flaws. I guess they are technically not "real DJ mixes" as you say, but I retain elements from my style, how and when I drop the tracks, tease in the basslines, etc. I even use production techniques such as multiband compression to achieve a mix that is not even possible live. It may not be your thing, but my mixes are the soundtracks to my life and are hours long of my favorite tracks transitioned perfectly, and in my opinion, a constant stream of the pinnacle of electronic music. This is how I like to listen to music. Of course, I like live music too, but only when it is really live.
84 4:16 PM - 28 March, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

What are you trying to do with it? I spent 10 years as an engineer and know ProTools like the back of my hand.

What's best way to contact you ?