Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Tracks should have a warning icon when no overview has been built

msoultan 10:33 PM - 17 October, 2007
I think it would be a good idea for songs that did NOT have their overview built to have a warning icon next to the track, similar to how there is a warning when the track is corrupt. That way the user can hover over the icon and see the no-overview warning in the status bar. I think this would help educate people into building their overviews pro-actively and probably cause less crashes.

Mike
PK 10:31 PM - 18 October, 2007
Agreed.
smoothe 9:30 PM - 20 October, 2007
Good idea.
professor jimihandtrix 2:11 AM - 23 October, 2007
Great Idea.
DJ Smooth B. 12:08 AM - 30 October, 2007
+1

and we should be able to sort the tracks with this flag, so we can easy drag & drop them to the button...
cappinkirk 12:56 PM - 31 October, 2007
same for partially built overviews
Soulsonica™ 1:03 PM - 31 October, 2007
Quote:
+1

and we should be able to sort the tracks with this flag, so we can easy drag & drop them to the button...

Agreed. Great suggestions.
Serato
Ronan 12:03 AM - 8 November, 2007
OK, how do we distinguish between tracks that have no overview and tracks that have an overview built in an earlier version that doesn't have autogain (for example)...
msoultan 12:36 AM - 8 November, 2007
Well, if you store the version information in the track when it's overview has been built, then pick the last trusted previous version that is known to detect as many problem cases and set the cutoff there. Any tracks with overviews built with version before that cutoff should display a warning.

If you don't have version information from the time the overview is built, you have to ask yourself if you trust overviews from previous versions. If not, then start saving version information in the ID3 and make any tracks built with non-versioned ID3s show the warning (this won't make people happy).

The goal here is crash avoidance, so I wouldn't be particularly concerned about whether or not it has autobpm or track gain applied. That can always be done after the fact. The goal here is to *avoid crashes* by educating people. Many djs don't know that they're supposed to build overviews and then their machine crashes. This ultimate gives SSL a bad rep, even though it was the DJs "fault".

Mike
msoultan 12:40 AM - 8 November, 2007
Forgot to add the case, if you the file has an overview built and you don't have version information, then don't mark it as missing it's overview, even if it doesn't have autogain. But this is assuming that you trust all previous versions of SSL to discover corrupt files.

I would also make this warning red... or much more noticeable than the current warnings. This is especially important because these files can cause SSL to crash, which is bad. Heck, those other warning signs should be brighter, too...
Serato
Ronan 2:30 AM - 8 November, 2007
Quote:
pick the last trusted previous version that is known to detect as many problem cases and set the cutoff there.

got it. nice one. I'll write it up.
KMXE 5:33 AM - 12 November, 2007
+1
DJ Prinvale` 5:42 AM - 13 November, 2007
that would be great. I would love it if it showed the file was built in a previous version. I fricken hate how some of the DJ pools pre-build the overviews now!!
msoultan 8:51 AM - 13 November, 2007
Why would you hate it if the overview is already built?
DJ Prinvale` 2:14 PM - 13 November, 2007
Quote:
Why would you hate it if the overview is already built?

I use a different setting then them? It's annoying having to dig through tracks to figure out which ones are pre-built, which ones aren't, etc etc
msoultan 6:51 PM - 13 November, 2007
What setting is that? The only option is whether to have auto-bpm or not. There are no other settings...
DJ Prinvale` 11:50 PM - 13 November, 2007
Quote:
What setting is that? The only option is whether to have auto-bpm or not. There are no other settings...

db level
DJ Prinvale` 11:50 PM - 13 November, 2007
bp range
Serato
Ronan 3:47 AM - 14 November, 2007
Quote:
db level

incorrect, db level is only applied when loading the song.
msoultan 6:35 PM - 14 November, 2007
yup.. there's no reason not to use the overviews built by someone else unless a later version of SSL detects errors that the version used to build the overview doesn't.

Autogain values are *always* built into the track, so you have no choice in that matter.

Also, bpm range is not stored in the track either - regardless, either the bpm value is right or wrong.. no rocket science there.
DJ Prinvale` 12:05 AM - 15 November, 2007
well all I know is most of the tracks I get that are pre-built are messed up for me. Either the BPM's will be off or the db levels are not what they should be.
msoultan 12:10 AM - 15 November, 2007
unless they're using an old version of SSL to build the overviews and autogain isn't set, then the levels used for tracks are dependent on the value that you choose in setup. As for BPMs, they might not even be using SSL to do the BPM count.

Why don't you contact the company to ask them what version of SSL they're using. If they're using an old version, educate them.

That, or just clear the ID3 tags and then build your own overviews. That's what I do and then you know you're starting from a clean slate.