Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

djay 4 for Mac

Solidsnake 7:52 PM - 17 November, 2011
I have the djay program from algoriddim and have used the past few renditions to play some gigs before I had my first ITCH controller and needed something small and portable (was using SSL and turntables at the time and djay was a great way to pick up some mobile gigs).

Here comes djay 4, the features updated in it are pretty impressive, the biggest of which (to me anyway) is the new Key Detection. A program for $20 vs. $50 for MiK that can detect keys? Might have to look into purchasing this. Just would like to know how accurate it will be in terms of getting the key correct before I make any purchase though. If anyone knows/has tried it out, the information would be greatly appreciated!
maestromind 11:24 PM - 17 November, 2011
Honestly for $20 you really can't go wrong even just as an emergency backup. I had the earlier version and used it at one gig when they wanted me to play lounge music for an hour before the main event. It did a fine job automixing when I lined everything up on the playlist. With decent harmonic mixing I could just throw in a bunch of songs and walk away in that particular case.

BTW on the same note Numark's iDJ for the iPad/iPhone is awesome to have for emergencies. It uses MixMeister's sync algorithms which are excellent.
maestromind 11:36 PM - 17 November, 2011
Just checked out algoriddim's site and I must say the fact that all your cue points and loops are synced to the cloud is effing brilliant.
Solidsnake 12:35 AM - 18 November, 2011
Nice, I'm mostly interested in the Key Detection and its accuracy... I know Gizmo @ Skratchworx did a video for Algoriddim, maybe he knows?
skratchworx 8:29 AM - 18 November, 2011
How accurate is any key detection? I feel a story coming on.
Ice Pilot 9:29 AM - 18 November, 2011
Hi, I've been playing with beaTunes for a while now and am pretty impressed with it's key detection. It's about USD 30, available for Mac/Win and did well in some comparative trials of key detection software...

blog.beatunes.com
maestromind 4:53 PM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:

Gizmo,

This would be an awesome story. I got Mixed in Key a long time ago because it was the gold standard and used by pretty much all the top DJs (I'm assuming the devs don't have enough cash to pay Kaskade & Guetta to be spokespersons). Can't say I have any complaints. That being said, it'd be awesome to have a shootout.

BTW djay is on sale right now for $20. It'll go back to $50 when that's done.
I'll buy it but first shot algoriddim an email asking if djay will overwrite any metadata (cues, loops, keys) that I already have in my MP3s from Serato. That'd be an obvious dealbreaker.
Musically Minded 4:56 PM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Gizmo,

This would be an awesome story. I got Mixed in Key a long time ago because it was the gold standard and used by pretty much all the top DJs (I'm assuming the devs don't have enough cash to pay Kaskade & Guetta to be spokespersons). Can't say I have any complaints. That being said, it'd be awesome to have a shootout.

BTW djay is on sale right now for $20. It'll go back to $50 when that's done.
I'll buy it but first shot algoriddim an email asking if djay will overwrite any metadata (cues, loops, keys) that I already have in my MP3s from Serato. That'd be an obvious dealbreaker.

hey maestromind,

please let us know what they say to your email, very interested as i have Djay for my ipad and always wonder that.
maestromind 5:06 PM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:
hey maestromind,
please let us know what they say to your email, very interested as i have Djay for my ipad and always wonder that.

So do I. That's why I'd love to get the desktop version, analyze all the files and then have that metadata in the cloud for iPad. I'll post their response soon as I get it.
Solidsnake 5:23 PM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:

This is true, I know the rule is to not mix up Key Detection software, going to pick up djay 4 more than likely pretty soon here and give it a shot.
djcerla 6:07 PM - 18 November, 2011
Quote:

On January, 4th 2013 Hacksoft Inc. introduced Sky, a perfect key detection algo

On September 16th, 2013 Native Instruments introduced .NET, a dancefloor-reading behavioral artificial intelligence

On December 1st, 2013 Native Instruments acquired Hacksoft, incorporating Sky in .NET

On December 31st, 2013 SkyNET gained self-awareness, and the panicking DJs at NI, realizing the extent of its abilities, tried to pull the plug. SkyNET perceived the attempt to deactivate it as an attack and came to the conclusion that all of DJ community would attempt to destroy it.

On January, 1st 2014 four millions DJs around the world were simultaneously fired and replaced by SkyNET.
skratchworx 6:30 PM - 18 November, 2011
...starts work on photo and video portfolio...
djBern 11:09 PM - 18 November, 2011
It claims to have native support for the NS6, so I went ahead and bought it.

Worked well with my NS6 during the 30 minutes that I played with it so far. I still need to figure out all the controls, but it's definitely a good backup or good setup for small parties, etc.
maestromind 12:04 AM - 19 November, 2011
Can you see if it overwrites Serato data like BPM, cue points and key?
djBern 6:32 AM - 19 November, 2011
Quote:
Can you see if it overwrites Serato data like BPM, cue points and key?

So far it hasn't. I checked songs that had cues and also songs that I grid locked and they were still ok. I only played a handful of songs though.
djBern 6:39 AM - 19 November, 2011
...oh, I think it does change the BPM - didn't check the key tho - I'll check next time I fire it up.
maestromind 12:23 AM - 22 November, 2011
Just got an email from algoriddim saying:
Quote:
djay writes its own metadata and does not manipulate existing data.

I'll download it today and give it a try then.