Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Performance issues/ 100% CPU/ Tracks not fully loading

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Novation TWITCH
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
jambo_jam 5:21 PM - 1 November, 2011
Hi guys,

Just getting set up with Serato itch 2.1 and Novation Twitch. Just wondering if anyone knows why I'm getting such poor performance from Serato. The software is running very sluggish, tracks stop loading randomly which leaves gaps in the tracks. I've also noticed the CPU is constantly running at 100% even when the software is idle. It only uses about 2GB of the available RAM. I've tried unplugging all other USB devices, even the twitch and tried disabling settings and switching the buffer size.

My specs are listed below. I believe my laptop should be able to handle it. I have no problems with Ableton Suite for example..

- Windows 7 64bit OS.
- 4GB RAM.
- Intel i3 2.27 processor.
- External hard drive with USB 2.0 but tried without.

If any further information is required please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jamie
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 10:59 PM - 1 November, 2011
Hi jambo_jam,

There are a few things that can be done when looking at enhancing usage for windows. Here is a good article >
serato.com

It sounds like you've already tried a couple of these things but there may be some further info in there that will be a good idea to try. If none of those make a difference we can look further :-)

Also have you analyzed all your files?

Mathew
jambo_jam 6:45 PM - 2 November, 2011
Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your reply. I've already had a good look through the optimisation document and tried a few things. I've not analysed all of my files as there is a large amount however I've also tried disconnecting the hard drive where my music is stored.

I'm convinced there is an underlining issue somewhere, maybe with the i3 chip or something else on my machine as the performance instantly rises to 100% as soon as Itch opens (without any tracks loaded). I'm going to try installing in a virtual machine next but I'm hoping you've seen this before or we might be able to find a solution as I'm desperate to get going with Itch! I'm a developer myself, so if there is anything I can do to assist in troubleshooting I'm happy to get involved!

Cheers,
Jamie
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 9:05 PM - 2 November, 2011
Run a DPC for us >serato.com and we'll have a look at it

Mathew
9:58 PM, 2 Nov 2011
jambo_jam attached a file: JAMIEWHEELDON-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
jambo_jam 10:00 PM - 2 November, 2011
ITCHwas open while this ran but no track was loaded as it was kind of difficult to obtain with no spare CPU. CPU was 100% (from about 3%). Hopefully you can see something obvious :-D
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 10:01 PM - 2 November, 2011
it seems that's uploaded as an html file :-(
10:03 PM, 2 Nov 2011
jambo_jam attached a file: JAMIEWHEELDON-dpcisr-report.txt
Download· Permalink
jambo_jam 10:05 PM - 2 November, 2011
I've uploaded here just in case theres still an issue..

jamiewheeldon.com/JAMIEWHEELDON-dpcisr-report.txt
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 10:22 PM - 2 November, 2011
USB has come back with a high reading, so:

* Try connecting to a different USB port.
* Use a different USB cable.
* Go to your computer manufacturer's website and check if there you are using the most up-to-date drivers.
* Try using an external power supply for your hardware

Also ACPI power has too, and we recommend:
*disabling power saving items

Hope that helps

Mathew
jambo_jam 10:31 PM - 2 November, 2011
The Twitch is connected to a powered usb hub and I've also tried it direct into each of the computers three usb ports. However, I still get the same issue even if the twitch and all other usb devices are disconnected. Would you like me to post a DPC with no usb devices connected too?

I'll have a look at disabling power saving items but I'm not convinced this will help due to the huge jump in CPU usuage when ITCH starts.

I'm currently setting up a virtual machine with the same OS to determine if there is something in my setup or if it is an OS/ processor issue.

Can you recommend anything else? I also have other drivers on this machine for Novation Launchpad, Nocturn and Oxygen 25 keyboard along with Ableton live and other Sound drivers. Do you know of any conflicts that might be occurring?

Cheers,
Jamie
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 11:04 PM - 2 November, 2011
I would simply suggest NOT running any other usb devices while running ITCH, and we never recommend running it off a usb hub, always directly into your computer.

Upload a dpc with only Twitch connected directly to the PC and we'll take a look

Mathew
11:50 PM, 2 Nov 2011
jambo_jam attached a file: outputs.zip
Download· Permalink
jambo_jam 11:50 PM - 2 November, 2011
Please find attached file or download zip from here..

jamiewheeldon.com/outputs.zip

I've done a completely fresh install, including driver and I've used a fresh direct usb port. I took every other usb device out and I've provided DPC for ITCH with and without Twitch connected (both have 100% CPU usage).

I've also included screen shots of the task manager so you can see what's happening.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Really appreciate your help,
Jamie
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 2:17 AM - 3 November, 2011
USB on both of those is better, however power usage is still high, if you could disable power saving that'd help you.
jambo_jam 8:13 AM - 3 November, 2011
Both of those readings were taken with Power Option set to High Performance. Can you confirm this what you mean? I've also just tried changing all options to "Never" for "Dim the Display", "Turn Off the Display" and "Put the computer to sleep". Still sluggish at 100% without Twitch or any other devices plugged in.. Just the basic, one track, "Device not found" screen with no track loaded.

Can we just confirm, is it normal for ITCH to consume so much resource on a machine of my spec? I don't believe it should be and I don't believe that optimising my computer will help when without ITCH running my machine only uses between 0-1%.

It seems although there's an issue with ITCH consuming way too much CPU on my machine? Is there anything else we can try which is specific to bringing down the CPU usage of ITCH?

Would a video of the issue help, or a remote desktop session?
jambo_jam 8:13 AM - 3 November, 2011
Both of those readings were taken with Power Option set to High Performance. Can you confirm this what you mean? I've also just tried changing all options to "Never" for "Dim the Display", "Turn Off the Display" and "Put the computer to sleep". Still sluggish at 100% without Twitch or any other devices plugged in.. Just the basic, one track, "Device not found" screen with no track loaded.

Can we just confirm, is it normal for ITCH to consume so much resource on a machine of my spec? I don't believe it should be and I don't believe that optimising my computer will help when without ITCH running my machine only uses between 0-1%.

It seems although there's an issue with ITCH consuming way too much CPU on my machine? Is there anything else we can try which is specific to bringing down the CPU usage of ITCH?

Would a video of the issue help, or a remote desktop session?
jambo_jam 10:02 PM - 3 November, 2011
Hi, Do you guys have any further info on this?

I've just setup the Twitch with Ableton Live & Twitch Translator I have all of my usb devices, a usb hub, automap and iTunes open. The CPU is running at an average of 25% and everything is running smoothly and fast.

As a Windows application developer, I would suggest there has to be a compatibility issue with Serato Itch and either my i3 CPU, my 64-bit OS or another conflict on my machine.

Please can this be escalated to your development team as I'm 100% sure that trying to optimise other features of my machine is not going to cut it here. I really wish I could debug this myself!

Many thanks,
Jamie
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:47 PM - 3 November, 2011
Hey jambo_jam,

I can imagine this must be frustrating. Can you just let me know whether ITCH is using up all the CPU or is there another process in the Task Manager you can see that is chewing up resources?

Can you let me know whether ITCH runs poorly when in Offline mode too? I would recommend doing a re-install of the drivers:

- Quit all programs
- Connect Twitch
- Open the device manager
- In "universal serial bus devices" the unit should show up, can you right click on this and choose uninstall (make sure to check the box which asks if you would like to uninstall driver software.)
- Disconnect and re-connect the unit
- Now can you run the driver installer found here:

www.novationmusic.com

Let me know if this helps at all?

Sam.
jambo_jam 11:31 PM - 3 November, 2011
Hi Samuel,

Thanks for getting back to me. Yesss.. very frustrating at the moment! Hopefully it will be worth it in the end.

It is ITCH that's consuming the CPU. I've disconnected everything (including Twitch), even closed all other unessential processes and as soon as ITCH opens it goes from 0/1% to 100%. If by offline mode you mean without hardware, yes I've tried that with no track loaded its the same.

You can see screenshots of the task manager and DPC with just ITCH & Twitch and ITCH without Twitch in the attachment above or here.. jamiewheeldon.com/outputs.zip from yesterday.

I tried your suggestion many times :-( Just to check, I've just run through it again also uninstalling ITCH first and the installer is current frozen about half way through installing ITCH, just after it confirms that newer drivers already exist. Usually when this happens I close the installer, restart and it works next time I try. This time I'll leave it and see if it can complete and if it makes any difference.

Do you agree that this could be a compatibility issue with my machine as outlined in my last message?

Many thanks,
Jamie
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:22 AM - 4 November, 2011
I wouldn't say it is a compatibility issue, your computer looks like it is within spec and should be able to run this with no issues. I would say there is something strange going on which is causing this.

Can you try another thing for me, this will rule out the possibility there is something corrupt in your library causing this:

- Close all programs
- Navigate to your My Music folder
- Rename the _Serato_ folder to _Serato_old
- Restart ITCH (The library will be rebuilt and empty)

Let me know if it runs normally? If so, we can start putting things back and see what was causing the issue.

Sam.
jambo_jam 7:48 AM - 4 November, 2011
This is another solution I've spotted while browsing the web. I've removed this folder from both the Music folder and the root of my external hdd (on the occasions I've tried to install with ITCH with the external hdd plugged in) several times.

I've watched the folder rebuild and still have the same issue. I've also tried uninstalling ITCH, removing these folders and removing the Serato folder from Programs Files and reinstalling several times.

I did notice on one occasion the serato folder on my hdd was named scratch live. Don't know if this gives any indication of something as I had a previous installation of Scratch Live that I removed before starting to install ITCH.
jambo_jam 8:11 PM - 4 November, 2011
Just want to add an update here.

I've just setup a virtual machine on the same computer running Windows 7 Professional 32-bit. Serato runs absolutally perfectly and only consumes 20% of the 2GB of CPU I assigned to it.

This rules out my i3 chip being the issue but does point towards an incompatibility with either Windows 7 64-bit or something else on my machine.

Do you have any suggestions what could be causing this???
jambo_jam 11:49 PM - 4 November, 2011
Final update here. I reinstalled Windows on the machine and it's now working really well now! Going to reinstall everything else one by one and see if I can find what was causing the issue. My guess.. Another Novation driver, Ableton or just a corrupt setup of ITCH/ drivers the first time round..

Cheers,
Jamie
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 8:31 PM - 6 November, 2011
Excellent, really glad you got it working. Thanks to Sam for helping out here, I was away on friday.

I'll close this thread off now - but feel free to get back in touch if you have any other issues.

Mathew