Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Full screen mode greyed out and screen tearing

Product
Video-SL
Version
Video-SL 1.2.0
Scratch Live 2.3.1
Hardware
Rane SL3
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
Mr Wilks 9:17 AM - 28 October, 2011
Product: video-sl
Version: 1.2.0_2.3.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl3
Computer: pc
OS Version: win764
---

Full screen mode... I know this has been experienced by others but i never found the outcome as the help threads have been closed. I have three machines that will not output in full screen mode in V-SL (the internal Intel graphics card is understandable!).

The first machine is a brand new Dell XPS 15 and the specs are:

Processor : 2nd generation Intel Core i5-2430M processor 2.40 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.00 GHz
Memory : 6144MB (1x2048 + 1x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel
Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card

This is running FFDShow, Haali Media Splitter and Quicktime codecs.
Latest GeForce GT 540M drivers 285.62
HDMI output

V-SYNC problem... V-SYNC is activated in V-SL and in the Nvidia options but seems to still cause tearing. Opening the same file in Quicktime is smoother and has no tearing artefacts. During flashing images the output 'flickers' and slow panning shots horizontally, but ONLY in V-SL... not in Quicktime player?

I have forced FFDShow using the script and also tried forcing using Quicktime and get the same result.

The graphics card was chosen due to it's high power and works perfect with Quicktime, Windows Media Player outputting video but the tearing is 'tearing' my hair out!!!

That and the full screen mode not being able to output!!! Now i understand that it is graphics card dependant, but it's a GeForce GT 540M which is popular in high end laptops.

The Acer Aspire cheapo i3 doesn't display the full screen option too, as expected but my other Dell Inspiron 1720 won't do it too!!! This has a Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT card in it.

Any advise? I just spend £660 on a laptop to play V-SL on and this is my only stumble as this card wasn't mentioned as not being compatible with V-SL?
Mr Wilks 9:51 AM - 28 October, 2011
Just had a look at the recommended graphics cards on Video SL's FAQ and it states Nvidia 8400 or better.

I have a Nvidia GT 540M which is better than the recommended card by serato but it's not up to scratch with V-SL.

Recommended by Serato - GeForce 8400 GS Specs:
Core Clock (MHz) 567
Shader Clock (MHz) 1400
Memory Clock (MHz) 400
Memory Amount 512MB
Memory Interface 64-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 6.4
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 3.6

What i purchased - GeForce GT 540M spec:
CUDA Cores 96
Processor Clock (MHz) 1344 MHz
Texture Fill Rate (billion/sec) 10.8
Memory Specs:
Memory Clock (MHz) 900
Standard Memory Config DDR3
Memory Interface Width 128-bit
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 28.8
Feature Support:
NVIDIA 3D Vision Ready yes
NVIDIA Optimus Technology yes
Hardware Video Decode Acceleration yes
NVIDIA Verde Drivers yes
NVIDIA PhysX™-ready yes
NVIDIA CUDA™ Technology yes
Microsoft DirectX 11

Other programs can output full screen and without sync glitches so just wondered if it was V-SL that is at fault?
phatbob 7:20 PM - 30 October, 2011
Sorry bro but we did try to tell you.

Enjoy playing audio whilst you save up for your MacBook Pro. ;-)
Mr Wilks 8:16 PM - 30 October, 2011
True, but it was already ordered by then as Serato's specs stated it would work.

The fullscreen mode surely isn't due to not owning a MacBook? It would be widely reported if it was. It's got to be a bug? Other programs open in a fullscreen view.

The image isn't as smooth as I'd like but video runs great in other software. As video isn't essential and just an extra, I'd rather just not do it. Shame as I was going to add something else to my work but it seems too buggy.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 11:17 PM - 30 October, 2011
Hi Mr Wilks,

It does sound odd that you can NOT display fullscreen on any of those machines....

I was dealing with a user who was having problems with AMD/ATI graphics cards and Dynamic Switching. Basically the computer was not using the dedicated graphics card and it had to be manually swithced in the Bios. You can have a look at this workaround it may or may not help in your situation.

"First, update your bios. after updating your bios to the latest edition, which has a tab for switchable graphics, restart your computer and enter the bios, mine was f10 or f12. press them both when the computer starts and you will access the bios. Find the Switchable Graphics tab and change it from Dynamic to Fixed. save and exit. restart. When Window loads right click on your desktop and access switchable graphics. select the Nvidia "High Performance" card. Update the codecs for the card on the Nvidia website. Open Serato and VSL, setup should now let you have full access to VSL."

Let me know how this goes, if still nothing then we will have to look at other options.

Anthony
Mr Wilks 3:22 AM - 31 October, 2011
Hi AnthonyS

I'm just checking now but in the Dell BIOS i don't have the option.

It is strange and the two Nvidia cards seem to just not like the full screen mode and always play in a window.

The buttons are greyed out and are unclickable.
Mr Wilks 6:28 AM - 31 October, 2011
I can confirm that we have three Nvidia cards in our house and all three will not play in full screen mode. The option is an unclickable grey button.

The cards are:

GeForce GT 540M
GeForce 8600M GT
GeForce 8400 GS (Serato Recommended)

For no reason i can work out but the 'tearing' has stopped. I had it when i first plugged in the HDMI it duplicated the laptop screen. The caused 'tearing' that was visible on the external but not internal monitor. Once i changed from duplicate to separate monitor the picture stopped tearing for the first time since i received the laptop! I had tried all possible combinations of resolution and monitor settings to no avail. around 16 hours of constant head scratching.

It runs an absolute dream with four simultaneous effects and a transition with zero lag. Unbelievable.

Just to sort the screen out so it loses the window now and i'll buy it!!!

There is a few GUI glitches like in stand alone when the SL window is resized, the overview covers the mini video preview and strobes like crazy and in connected hardware mode the main V-SL window seems to 'float' and other programs (including the output window) can be moved under the V-SL plugin. I do have a photo.
Mr Wilks 7:22 PM - 2 November, 2011
I went ahead and purchased V-SL anyway and full screen was then enabled.

Sorry for the help request but it was stated (by a Serato employee) that V-SL was a full featured demo, hence why i was concerned that "full screen" didn't work.

It works a dream now so thanks. Please state that the full screen output is limited in the demo mode as this caused confusion for me. Cheers!

Now it's playtime...
greenman 7:31 PM - 5 January, 2012
hm, im trying the demo on my macpro with an ATI Radeon HD 2600
fullscreen isnt working either
cheers
heiner
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 9:23 PM - 5 January, 2012
Hi Mr Wilks,

If you have no further questions regarding this issue I will close this thread.

@greenman could you please start a help thread detailing your issue and include your full computer specs and we will assist you there.

thanks

Anthony
Mr Wilks 5:25 PM - 6 January, 2012
I have no further issues. It runs a total dream on the Dell XPS and glad i made the choice.
Big thank you for the help and now this can be closed.

My only issue is with Serato for reducing Video SL to half price a week after a bought it. Totally gutted =(

Wilks
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 8:20 PM - 9 January, 2012
Hi Mr Wilks,

Glad to hear its working well for you now. As far as the sale, its just one of those things...

You do get first class support and entitlement to the upgrade path of Video-SL as updates are released.

Cheers

Anthony