DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

The 1,000W 12" Speaker battle: QSC vs JBL vs EV vs Yamaha

djremeddy 12:56 AM - 27 October, 2011
I've been looking to invest in a new line and can't seem to get clear cut feedback from expert ears on these. I've seen other discussions like these, but none that have compared these four brands collectively. Flat out, which of these models performs and sounds the best. If the word "best' is too subjective, than please use objective terms to describe your findings.

1. QSC K12 & KW122
2. JBL PRX 612
3. EV ELX112P
4. Yamaha DSR112 (the newest contender)

There are obvious price differences among these, but from what I've been reading, the sticker prices are irrelevant. I'm looking for honest and unbiased feedback from DJ's who have tested most or all of these -- for DJ use.

Thanks in advance :-)
dj shadow from detroit 5:17 PM - 28 October, 2011
jbl prx series which i like alot i have the prx 615 and the kw122 - wooden boxes sound great. either one are great and have 6 yr warranty.
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:38 PM - 28 October, 2011
which one do you like better shadow, the JBL or the QSC?
Taipanic 5:50 PM - 28 October, 2011
If you really want quality, I would go with the EV ZXa5s. They are beasts - powered 1200 watts, great bass & overall sound quality, availble in 60 & 90 degree dispersion models, and under 50lbs. Pricey, but well worth it. Needs 4 18" subs (or two Danleys) to keep up with a pair.
JDforKing 6:56 PM - 28 October, 2011
I've tried most of the speakers listed and i must say the rcf 312a is the best bang for you buck. Don't get caught up in the inflated 1000w nonsense. All that is a new marketing ploy buy all of these companies. BTW you can get a pair of rcf 312a for 800 to 900 a pair.

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com
If you're looking at something a little smaller with just as much output (a little less bass) these are the speakers for you. I have a pair of rcf 312a and 310a.
JDforKing 6:57 PM - 28 October, 2011
dj shadow from detroit 9:00 PM - 28 October, 2011
honestly the prx jbl are my choice then the qsc wooden boxes.
the prx 615 are real accurate , clean , light and 6 year warranty. either way you are getting quality .
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:43 PM - 28 October, 2011
Quote:
I've been looking to invest in a new line and can't seem to get clear cut feedback from expert ears on these. I've seen other discussions like these, but none that have compared these four brands collectively. Flat out, which of these models performs and sounds the best. If the word "best' is too subjective, than please use objective terms to describe your findings.

1. QSC K12 & KW122
2. JBL PRX 612
3. EV ELX112P

There are obvious price differences among these, but from what I've been reading, the sticker prices are irrelevant. I'm looking for honest and unbiased feedback from DJ's who have tested most or all of these -- for DJ use.

i think the best advice is to take a trip so a store, give em a listen and pick what sounds best for your style of play, you asked for an unbiased opinion but thats about impossible, everyones needs and ears are different
lvmez 10:45 PM - 28 October, 2011
you can get better deals on the jbl prx612m's than the qsc's. made my choice a little easier.
djremeddy 11:03 PM - 28 October, 2011
Thanks for the info guys. I currently own a pair of K12's. One thing I was looking for is better LF/bass output. For small gigs that are 50-100 people, I'd like to be able to grab a couple tops and not have to use a sub, when it's not necessary, but have them still be very portable and easy to mount, as I'm usually on my own. Are any of these better options than the K12 for this?
djremeddy 11:05 PM - 28 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

1. QSC K12 & KW122
2. JBL PRX 612
3. EV ELX112P

i think the best advice is to take a trip so a store, give em a listen and pick what sounds best for your style of play, you asked for an unbiased opinion but thats about impossible, everyones needs and ears are different

It's hard to get an idea of how they will really sound when pushed, because a speaker may sound totally different at high db's or when peaking, and you typically can't do this in a store setting.
djdalite 12:58 AM - 29 October, 2011
Quote:
I've tried most of the speakers listed and i must say the rcf 312a is the best bang for you buck. Don't get caught up in the inflated 1000w nonsense. All that is a new marketing ploy buy all of these companies. BTW you can get a pair of rcf 312a for 800 to 900 a pair.

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com
If you're looking at something a little smaller with just as much output (a little less bass) these are the speakers for you. I have a pair of rcf 312a and 310a.

no offense but the JBL Prx 15's are cheaper and are rated than those, im weary about RFC but have heard good things about them, can you give a lil more insight on yours?
JDforKing 1:54 AM - 29 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

www.ebay.com

www.ebay.com

no offense but the JBL Prx 15's are cheaper and are rated than those, im weary about RFC but have heard good things about them, can you give a lil more insight on yours?

I don't know where you've seen the jbl prx 615 for cheaper than the rcf 312a. Prx 615 are about 700 a speaker, where the rcf 312a run about 350 to 400 per a speaker. I use to have 2 jbl prx 615 and sold them to buy a pair of rcf 312a and saved about $350 total. As for insight on the sound the jbl prx 615 has a little more output but not more to warrant and extra $300 per speaker.
djdalite 3:25 AM - 29 October, 2011
whoops take that back, i was high, the ebay listing was for 2 RCF 312s not one and i didnt realize we were talking about 12in pa - so back on topic...

any issues with your RCF? how long did you have the jbls and how long have you had the 312s
dj shadow from detroit 9:35 AM - 29 October, 2011
i use 2 prx 615 and a sonic maximizer for smaller /mid type gigs . i have used the qsc and both sound great . for me the prx 615 compared to the qsc 12 either models sound cleaner and have more bass. ( my opinion ) both are great speakers with a 6 year warranty.

the sonic maximizer makes a big noticeable difference for me. i leave the settings at 12 oclock on main speakers outputs and the sonic maximizer. i am pleased with the output and clarity. im gonna add a powered sub more then likely the jbl prx 18 to match.

i honestly wouldnt get anything other then jbl prx or qsc models.
dj_soo 9:06 PM - 29 October, 2011
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I currently own a pair of K12's. One thing I was looking for is better LF/bass output. For small gigs that are 50-100 people, I'd like to be able to grab a couple tops and not have to use a sub, when it's not necessary, but have them still be very portable and easy to mount, as I'm usually on my own. Are any of these better options than the K12 for this?

you might get some better low end from other speakers, but the gains are marginal - if you want bass output without a sub, get 15" speakers.
JDforKing 11:48 PM - 29 October, 2011
Quote:
whoops take that back, i was high, the ebay listing was for 2 RCF 312s not one and i didnt realize we were talking about 12in pa - so back on topic...

any issues with your RCF? how long did you have the jbls and how long have you had the 312s

No issues at all with the rcfs. I just got back from doing a tailgate party outside and used 2 rcf 310a and a jbl prx 718s sub. I must say that at high volumes the rcfs don't break up at all. The rcf 312a s have similar specs to the 310a so im assuming that it wouldve sounded just as good.

I had my jbl prx 615s for 6 months. I used them like 5 times and i must say they were great speakers. I then realized it may make more sense to get a pair 10 inch speakers and pair it with a sub (i already had two jbl prx 718s that were getting minimum use) instead of using 2 15s for smaller gigs ( 100 to 150 people). As for the rcf 312as ill use them for gigs with less than 100 people.
lvmez 7:46 PM - 30 October, 2011
I ran my prx612m's for 5 hours last night. Didn't get hot at all. Sounded great.
canicypher 11:44 PM - 3 November, 2011
I just went through this and purchased a pair of the EV ELX115p. I went to many stores, listened to everything. I took into account: sound, price, customer service/warranty, size/weight and bass response (since i too didn't want to deal with bringing subs when not needed, plus my in-stores don't want subs period)

The EV's won me over because they are among the top in all categories.
Less expensive then the JBL's and QSC's
Second best in bass response (JBL wins here)
Lighter, easier to carry than the QSC's (JBL's were just as easy to maneuver tho)
Over-all sound was just under the QSC (better bass but QSC had better highs) (EV just under this though imo, very clean and even overall sound)
After I had narrowed it down to the JBL's or EV's the deciding factor was...
Customer Service/warranty - 2 different stores told me they have more JBL's come back for repair than any of the other makes and when they come back they take longer to get fixed/replaced. EV's were one of the fewest to be brought back and quickest to get issues resolved when they do come back. Combine that with the lower price than the JBL's and I was sold...
(I want to add an Honorable Mention for the Yamaha DSR115, They were really good...just didn't do anything better than all the other choices and cost the same as the EV's)

Granted I was in the market for 15's and not 12's...but I hope that can help.
djdalite 1:15 AM - 4 November, 2011
^ nice unbiased review, im gonna have to check out the EV's
Swizzle 1:59 AM - 4 November, 2011
Quote:
^ nice unbiased review, im gonna have to check out the EV's

Yep. Had no favorites going in...and came out with the best choice for what he was looking for. That's kinda how i'm shopping right now for some mobile tops.

I've had the luxury to rent from a dj/friend/company who rents out all of the above gear mentioned. So instead of giving him my money for the past 3-5 gigs, i'm ready to get a setup of my own here soon.
sixxx 2:29 AM - 4 November, 2011
I think I'll be checkin' out the EV's when I get rid of my current system. Right now I have a pair of PRX515's and a pair of PRX512's. I love them both. I have not had any issues with either though I have heard a few people talk about their PRX515's needing repair. I also have a PRX518.
DJ Michael Basic 2:37 AM - 4 November, 2011
Quote:
2 different stores told me they have more JBL's come back for repair than any of the other makes and when they come back they take longer to get fixed/replaced. EV's were one of the fewest to be brought back and quickest to get issues resolved when they do come back. Combine that with the lower price than the JBL's and I was sold...

Not defending JBLs...I own the QSC's myself...however, it's very likely that JBLs are MUCH more popular than EVs and that could account for why more of them come back for service. I could be totally off base, but I feel like the most popular speakers for the average speaker consumer are JBLs and Mackies. That's not to say they are the best, they definitely are not, however, I think JBL probably has the biggest market share, thus, more speakers out there in the field mean more speakers to come back for repair.
Dj K.Smith 3:41 PM - 4 November, 2011
Trust Mike Basic, he's stinking rich...
canicypher 3:47 PM - 4 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
2 different stores told me they have more JBL's come back for repair than any of the other makes and when they come back they take longer to get fixed/replaced. EV's were one of the fewest to be brought back and quickest to get issues resolved when they do come back. Combine that with the lower price than the JBL's and I was sold...

Not defending JBLs...I own the QSC's myself...however, it's very likely that JBLs are MUCH more popular than EVs and that could account for why more of them come back for service. I could be totally off base, but I feel like the most popular speakers for the average speaker consumer are JBLs and Mackies. That's not to say they are the best, they definitely are not, however, I think JBL probably has the biggest market share, thus, more speakers out there in the field mean more speakers to come back for repair.

Good point, that could definitely be a factor. I don't think it would account for their response time to get items replaced or fixed though. More units out, more revenue, more employees and techs to handle that kinda thing...or so one would think. Really, in the end you will not be going wrong with any of these speakers...it all comes down to preference and budget. Go with the ones that sound the best to you and that cover all the bases that are important to you.
4mydawgz 11:47 PM - 4 November, 2011
I was just in the mall. A dude was dj'n and had K12's. The shits were knocking. You could hear the bass pounding and there was no subs. I was like damn. I got an elx 112 at home. Had plans on getting a second one. But now, after hearing the K12's, i'm rethinking it. I also have 2 Mackie 350's. Imma try to sell those now. Imma go home and listen to the 112. The bass is definitely a clear difference.
4mydawgz 1:50 PM - 7 November, 2011
I played out with my 112 this weekend. It actually is pretty good. I still think the K12 sounds better and is much louder. But for the price, the 112 is a great product.
Prince Mal 4:42 PM - 5 February, 2014
Quote:
I just went through this and purchased a pair of the EV ELX115p. I went to many stores, listened to everything. I took into account: sound, price, customer service/warranty, size/weight and bass response (since i too didn't want to deal with bringing subs when not needed, plus my in-stores don't want subs period)

The EV's won me over because they are among the top in all categories.
Less expensive then the JBL's and QSC's
Second best in bass response (JBL wins here)
Lighter, easier to carry than the QSC's (JBL's were just as easy to maneuver tho)
Over-all sound was just under the QSC (better bass but QSC had better highs) (EV just under this though imo, very clean and even overall sound)
After I had narrowed it down to the JBL's or EV's the deciding factor was...
Customer Service/warranty - 2 different stores told me they have more JBL's come back for repair than any of the other makes and when they come back they take longer to get fixed/replaced. EV's were one of the fewest to be brought back and quickest to get issues resolved when they do come back. Combine that with the lower price than the JBL's and I was sold...
(I want to add an Honorable Mention for the Yamaha DSR115, They were really good...just didn't do anything better than all the other choices and cost the same as the EV's)

Granted I was in the market for 15's and not 12's...but I hope that can help.

which QSC model were you comparing, the KW152? or K12?
Popei 5:10 PM - 5 February, 2014
I personally like the k12 and had them for 5yrs straight no problem, I got extra mixer 802, and also got splitters for the speakers and the shit is loud and clear I most use the setup for weddings and parties it's the best so far
Al Poulin 10:25 PM - 5 February, 2014
You guys do realize this is a thread from 2011, right? :-)
Prince Mal 10:35 PM - 5 February, 2014
I noticed that, but its still prevalent. Those names are still some of the top brands and models for mobile DJs. I am shopping for speakers in the $1000 range probably 15" versions of the ones listed (Yamaha DSR115, QSC KW152, K12, JBL PRX615, PRX715, and EV ELX115P) and this thread was helpful. I would still like more input if we could revive this thread...
Al Poulin 11:33 PM - 5 February, 2014
I imagine you're looking for one really good set of speakers on stands to run full range?
Prince Mal 11:58 PM - 5 February, 2014
I want to purchase a sub as well, but for now yes I'll be running them on on stands for full range. I play a lot of hip hop music, just to give you an idea of genre. I'm going to demo these in store soon.
the_black_one 12:00 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
I want to purchase a sub as well, but for now yes I'll be running them on on stands for full range. I play a lot of hip hop music, just to give you an idea of genre. I'm going to demo these in store soon.

how many people are you wanting to provide sound for?

NM NH NB
Prince Mal 12:10 AM - 6 February, 2014
As many people as I can within my budget. I want to get 2 of the best quality speakers I can for under $2500. I grew out of my previous powered speakers fast, they clip at larger events. Right now I'm DJing gigs with around 100-150 people, but I am growing as a DJ and want to invest in some quality speakers that I can use as my main system and add a sub or 2 down the road. I usually DJ by myself, so size and weight is something to consider, but I want to focus on the sound.
the_black_one 12:18 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
As many people as I can within my budget. I want to get 2 of the best quality speakers I can for under $2500. I grew out of my previous powered speakers fast, they clip at larger events. Right now I'm DJing gigs with around 100-150 people, but I am growing as a DJ and want to invest in some quality speakers that I can use as my main system and add a sub or 2 down the road. I usually DJ by myself, so size and weight is something to consider, but I want to focus on the sound.

well ... al is a great person to help you and i would listen to his advise .... For 2500 bucks for two tops ... you have a lot of options ..... Im going to guide you towards rcf or ev .... the nex level up stuff tho ......

nm nh nb
JDforKing 2:32 AM - 6 February, 2014
If you purchase a pair of ev zxa5 you will have one the best pair of powered speakers available. They can be had for $2600 a pair.
Joee 2:32 AM - 6 February, 2014
for $2,500.....budget

you can get two of these for $1,550 than add sub later
www.idjnow.com

or get two of these
www.musiciansfriend.com

^ they sound pretty nice even without a sub
Joee 2:36 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
If you purchase a pair of ev zxa5 you will have one the best pair of powered speakers available. They can be had for $2600 a pair.

this here ........period point blank the best 15" two way money can buy ,in the price range, crazy bass for a two way

www.fullcompass.com

to get them at $1,350 you have to haggle
Al Poulin 3:09 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:

Which speakers were you using previously that didn't quite cut it?
Certified Quality Entertainment 3:16 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

this here ........period point blank the best 15" two way money can buy ,in the price range, crazy bass for a two way

www.fullcompass.com

to get them at $1,350 you have to haggle

Got mine for 1395 each delivered to my door. That was the cheapest I found
Prince Mal 3:40 AM - 6 February, 2014
Thanks for the help, I've read nothing but good things about the EV ZXA5's the only problem I've heard of was trying to find a sub that can keep up lol Any tips where I can get them for close to my budget brand new?
Prince Mal 4:03 AM - 6 February, 2014
Al, I have a pair of Behringer Eurolive B115Ds. They were my first pair of speakers. I bought them from guitar center because the sales guy recommended them. They clip pretty fast when I turn them up for larger halls/bars. I want something that is gonna last me a while, and that I can build with.
the_black_one 4:35 AM - 6 February, 2014
Lol @ eurolive

Nm nh nb
Al Poulin 5:11 AM - 6 February, 2014
One problem I see, is that at the moment, a high quality set of active 15s would work great and give you a full sound at high levels, but once you are using a sub (or subs) you will want 10s or 12s as they are lighter and easier to move around. The ZX5As, DSR115s (or even DXR15s), Yorkville NX750Ps etc. are all excellent stand alone full range actives, but they are fairly big and between 50-60lbs. One option that might work is a set of RCF HD12As. I personally have not used them, but have read that they are quite impressive for a 12" speaker and have surprising bottom response. FBT also has some very nice sounding boxes (not all that sexy though) that could be considered. Are you doing weddings or teeen dances? I'm off to bed, but will certainly offer more help tommorow. :-)

Al
Al Poulin 5:12 AM - 6 February, 2014
These new Yorkville active 12s look to be ultra high performance but they are just starting to be shipped and actual reviews are hard to come by...

yorkville.com

Al
Prince Mal 5:58 AM - 6 February, 2014
So far I have only done 1 outdoor wedding reception, but I am looking to do more in the future, so looks are somewhat of a factor. I would consider a 12" speaker if they had a good low end. Also, the money I save on speaker size could go towards a better quality speaker or a sub.

Do you have any recommendations for powered subs?
The ones I have looked at so far, are the same brands I mentioned previously (K sub, KW153 or KW181, EV ELX118, JBL, Yamaha... etc probably around $1000-1200 per sub

I am going to guitar center or sam ash tomorrow around 5pm to demo some of the tops/subs. I know their selection is limited so I am really appreciative of your pro advice!
the_black_one 6:00 AM - 6 February, 2014
Quote:
So far I have only done 1 outdoor wedding reception, but I am looking to do more in the future, so looks are somewhat of a factor. I would consider a 12" speaker if they had a good low end. Also, the money I save on speaker size could go towards a better quality speaker or a sub.

Do you have any recommendations for powered subs?
The ones I have looked at so far, are the same brands I mentioned previously (K sub, KW153 or KW181, EV ELX118, JBL, Yamaha... etc probably around $1000-1200 per sub

I am going to guitar center or sam ash tomorrow around 5pm to demo some of the tops/subs. I know their selection is limited so I am really appreciative of your pro advice!

do u lift??? cause if you do ...... yorkville subs all the way

nm nh nb
Prince Mal 6:21 AM - 6 February, 2014
I've heard about the sound, and WEIGHT of Yorkville subs! lol Right now I want an option that can give me some of the low end I'm missing, and free up my tops so I could crossover and play at louder volumes, (without adding a sub thats going to break my back, I usually gig alone so keeping weight and portability in mind would be helpful) 80lbs seems about average for an 18in powered sub...
Niro 6:23 AM - 6 February, 2014
The new EV line sounded very impressive in their demo room at Namm, but I'm sure most speakers would. I would like to check them out in a real world situation.
Al Poulin 1:59 PM - 6 February, 2014
If low weight in a sub is important, the PRX618XLF (or 718XLF) as well as the KW181 are going to be some of the better choices.
Aden 1:30 AM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
If low weight in a sub is important, the PRX618XLF (or 718XLF) as well as the KW181 are going to be some of the better choices.

Yep. I specifically bought my 2 kw181's based on their weight and output. The built in casters make it easy as hell to load in/out of venues. I usually work alone as well so weight was equally as important as the quality of the speaker.

Imo, avoid the Elx sub. It limits fairly quickly compared to the other models you listed.

If you can wait until April that new EV ETX line is going to start shipping. The 15" weighs around 90 lbs and sounded great at NAMM.
djdisbjohn 4:48 AM - 7 February, 2014
I would recommend the Yamaha DXR12, RCF HD 32-A, or the new EV ETX 12

I have the HD32-A's and got them for 925 each. Great speaker with 3" voice-coil for horn driver. You can check out my comparison of the RCF to a couple of 15" speakers; EV ZXA5 and JBL PRX615M. RCF's now have a 3 year warranty if you register online with them. Yamaha you get 7 years.

Watchwww.youtube.com
bboysupafly 7:10 AM - 7 February, 2014
Did anyone hear the new EV ETX-18SP at NAMM?

I'm wondering how good they sound, I already own a couple of zlx 15's but I'm looking for a good sub for the small parties.

Would the ETX-18SP be a good fit for my ZLXs?

Respect to the QSC kw181's, but the specs of the new EV's blow QSC away. I was looking into getting the QSC's but I'm glad I stumbled upon the NAMM footage on youtube.

I'm thinking the ETX-18SP's would have a better crossover to the ZLX's than the QSC. Am I right?
the_black_one 7:22 AM - 7 February, 2014
from what i have been hearing and some research on them new subs ...... BEAST MODE!!!

NM NH NB
djdisbjohn 7:27 AM - 7 February, 2014
I've been hearing more people impresses with the etx 15" sub
the_black_one 7:29 AM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
I've been hearing more people impresses with the etx 15" sub

Same here.

nm nh
Prince Mal 4:12 PM - 7 February, 2014
Thanks for all of the suggestions and input! I'll let you guys know what I end up purchasing within the next week or two!
Aden 6:17 PM - 7 February, 2014
Quote:
Did anyone hear the new EV ETX-18SP at NAMM?

I'm wondering how good they sound, I already own a couple of zlx 15's but I'm looking for a good sub for the small parties.

Would the ETX-18SP be a good fit for my ZLXs?

Yeah, I heard them. They sounded great and should out perform my kw181s. The true test will be hearing them in larger rooms with different music. The whole series was very impressive though

I think any of the ETX subs will be more than enough for your ZLXs. I suggest upgrading your tops if you buy ETX subs. If not, go with the 15" sub for the smaller parties.
bboysupafly 5:34 AM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:

Yeah, I heard them. They sounded great and should out perform my kw181s. The true test will be hearing them in larger rooms with different music. The whole series was very impressive though

I think any of the ETX subs will be more than enough for your ZLXs. I suggest upgrading your tops if you buy ETX subs. If not, go with the 15" sub for the smaller parties.

Would you think 1 ETX18SP sub will fit good for my subs in the mean time?
bboysupafly 5:38 AM - 10 February, 2014
Sorry I meant tops*
Certified Quality Entertainment 2:22 PM - 10 February, 2014
I would say yes
Aden 7:24 PM - 10 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Would you think 1 ETX18SP sub will fit good for my subs in the mean time?

Yeah, you should be good
Prince Mal 9:54 PM - 17 February, 2014
I ended up going with the QSC KW181 sub. And I got Ev tops. Thanks for all of your help guys.
SG SOUNDS 1:01 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
These new Yorkville active 12s look to be ultra high performance but they are just starting to be shipped and actual reviews are hard to come by...

yorkville.com

Al

Hey Al if you get any info on these please post...First time even hearing about these..I like the looks of it.......
Al Poulin 1:12 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

yorkville.com

Al

Hey Al if you get any info on these please post...First time even hearing about these..I like the looks of it.......

I've contacted Yorkville a few times since the release of the Parasource cabs last year, and have hinted to them that it might be good advertising for them if they shipped me a pair so I can put up a review on youtube and share my impressions with other DJs on these forums, but I've been told more that once that "they don't have a lending program like that". If my dealer gets any in, I guarantee you I will be more then happy to test them out.
Al
SG SOUNDS 1:39 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yorkville.com

Al

I've contacted Yorkville a few times since the release of the Parasource cabs last year, and have hinted to them that it might be good advertising for them if they shipped me a pair so I can put up a review on youtube and share my impressions with other DJs on these forums, but I've been told more that once that "they don't have a lending program like that". If my dealer gets any in, I guarantee you I will be more then happy to test them out.
Al

Ok cool..
dj_soo 1:40 AM - 18 February, 2014
Quote:
If my dealer gets any in, I guarantee you I will be more then happy to test them out.

you sound like you're talking about drugs.

in a way, I guess you are...
Joee 1:43 AM - 18 February, 2014
^ we all need are speaker fix......lol
Al Poulin 2:13 AM - 18 February, 2014
I don't drink, smoke or do drugs, but I have been a little obsessed with testing speakers for the last two decades or so...

Al
bboysupafly 1:24 AM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:
I would say yes

Which would be a better choice.......15 or 18 inch ETX Sub for my ZLX tops?
Joee 1:48 AM - 19 February, 2014
the etx line is a pricier option than the zlx line.....

zlx is entry level gear, they do sound pretty good for what they cost, but i wouldn't be looking at the etx line to pair with them......i'd look more at the elx sub

now if the goal is to upgrade your tops also, than etx all the way.....
bboysupafly 3:48 AM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:

zlx is entry level gear, they do sound pretty good for what they cost, but i wouldn't be looking at the etx line to pair with them......i'd look more at the elx sub

That's the plan, but I have to make the revenue using the ZLX gear.
Taipanic 3:34 PM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:

Don't look at the LiveX subs. They are underperforming and not impressive for recorded dance music playback. Bigger subs will almost always sound better & go deeper, bigger drivers & cabinets = more sound and air movement. The trade off is size & weight. If those aren't an issue, bigger is better. I recommend to wait until you can hear the ETX models for yourself, then choose.
Joee 3:51 PM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:
Don't look at the LiveX subs. They are underperforming

as are the zlx's ,but still sound good for the price point

what sub sound better for $600?
Joee 3:52 PM - 19 February, 2014
^ 18" sub
Taipanic 5:55 PM - 19 February, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
Don't look at the LiveX subs. They are underperforming

as are the zlx's ,but still sound good for the price point

what sub sound better for $600?

He was already looking at the ETX, I wouldn't steer him towards the ELX. Also, for the $799 most would pay for the ELX118p, I would rather buy a used Yorkville LS800p. When the ELX came out I was all hyped to get a pair - until I heard them. They are not bad, just not exceptional, even at that price point. I think they work better for bands than DJs, which is really who that line was marketed to.
Joee 6:12 PM - 19 February, 2014
the elx118 can be found for $600

the elx & zlx are in the same lines quality & sound wise, not steering him that way at least i didn't think i was, i think the elx sub is a better match for zlx tops witch are not stellar but sound great for what they cost

i did tell his if the plan was to upgrade his tops.....than by all means go with the etx sub, but to me it makes no sense to spend money on what looks to be a quality made in the usa speaker & pair it with a cheeper inferrer made in china one

just my thinking
Joee 6:17 PM - 19 February, 2014
& Yorkville LS800p buy all means if he doesn't mind carrying that sub or paying $1,200
yorkville.com
Renard 4:35 PM - 24 February, 2014
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I am a musician and soundman. I am looking for a single powered sub that can out perform the Yorkville LS800P. Do you think the new ETX118 is a contender. The Yorkville LS800P outperforms bothe the JKBL PRX618XLf and the KW181.
A friend of mine in Holland is raving about the new RCF SUB8004, the specs do look good, but the pricing is high too !

Regards,

Renard from Curacao
Certified Quality Entertainment 4:55 PM - 24 February, 2014
If that price is too high, than chances are you will not find a sub that out performs the LS800(1)p. Musically you can, but for output you will not unless you dig deeper in your pockets!
DJ GaFFle 4:56 PM - 24 February, 2014
Quote:
Hi all,
I am new to this forum. I am a musician and soundman.

Whattup Renard!

Quote:
I am looking for a single powered sub that can out perform the Yorkville LS800P.

Good luck...

Quote:
Do you think the new ETX118 is a contender.

Nope...

Quote:
The Yorkville LS800P outperforms bothe the JKBL PRX618XLf and the KW181.

Tell us something we don't know... :-)

Just joking. When you say "out perform", do you mean sound more musical and go lower? If so, many of the normal 18" subs will do this (PRX, KW, RCF, VRX). The power, huge cabinet volume, and horn design of the LS801P are the reasons why none of your standard-type bass-reflex designs will ever approach the LS801P in sheer output. If you want to top the LS801P and not spend $2500+, get the 21" Yorkville model. The cons are their size and weight.

(nm)
pdidy 5:50 AM - 25 February, 2014
Well he's already stated.......

"The Yorkville LS800P outperforms bothe the JBL PRX618XLf and the KW181.

Therefore he is looking for sheer POWER and OUTPUT which is where the Yorkville rules as King. This really is all our clients care about anyway...right ?

But then he says "A friend of mine in Holland is raving about the new RCF SUB8004, the specs do look good, but the pricing is high too !" and therefore ENDS any and all further discussion.

Just get the Yorkville my dude ;)
bboysupafly 11:48 PM - 26 March, 2014
Check out the picture comparing all the ETX speakers electro voice is rolling out this next couple of months.

oi57.tinypic.com
Aster 8:09 AM - 18 May, 2014
Out of the mentioned speakers, I tried most of the Yamaha brand, QSC, and JBL. I personally don't like the fan in the DXR, QSC and JBL 7-series, once it fail, the amplifier board of my DXR15 blow, for this budget, I recommend a pair of Yorkville Parasource Series PS12a or 15" (Wide range of frequency), for lower budget, I do recommend the Mackie SRM550 (12") or 650, they do have some decent features to cancel the feedback and set them in 4 different mode.
Rebelguy 5:35 PM - 18 May, 2014
Yorkville = 2 year warranty.
Yamaha = 7 year warranty.

I'm not too worried about the fan.
SG SOUNDS 6:02 PM - 18 May, 2014
Quote:
Yorkville = 2 year warranty.
Yamaha = 7 year warranty.

I'm not too worried about the fan.

+1
Jim Davis Productions 4:55 PM - 23 May, 2014
I'm gonna throw a player into the mix that no one has mentioned...

I got the Cerwin-Vega P1800SX 18" subwoofer on a trade. It's very lightweight for an 18" sub (77lbs without the casters attached) and it has a 2000W peak / 725W program rating. Before the guy offered it to me for trade I hadn't even heard of it.

I've only used it for a couple of gigs so far, but even for a larger 200-person gig I had the thing turned up like 30% and it was hitting pretty hard. Did I mention it's only 77lbs? :)

www.cerwinvega.com
DJ GaFFle 5:10 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:

I got the Cerwin-Vega P1800SX 18" subwoofer on a trade. It's very lightweight for an 18" sub (77lbs without the casters attached) and it has a 2000W peak / 725W program rating. Before the guy offered it to me for trade I hadn't even heard of it.

I've only used it for a couple of gigs so far, but even for a larger 200-person gig I had the thing turned up like 30% and it was hitting pretty hard. Did I mention it's only 77lbs? :)

www.cerwinvega.com

Looks good for a Cerwin Vega; no red surrounds and HUGE logos. Nice!
Al Poulin 11:50 PM - 23 May, 2014
Quote:

www.cerwinvega.com

Just because the gain was at 30%, doesn't mean the unit was only producing 30% of its output. The relationship between gain setting and possible output of an active speaker/sub is anything but linear since the signal you are sending from your mixer is variable and usually has enough output to bring the powered speaker / sub up to its limit in spite of a 50% or even 30% gain setting. What the gain setting varies is the required amount of mixer signal required to reach a given output level, and even then, the actual gain sensitivity varies from one speaker to another… but that's another story. :-)

Al
Jim Davis Productions 12:03 AM - 24 May, 2014
You're talking to an electrical engineer :p Good explanation though. My best estimate based on the settings of the devices in the signal chain is that it was at 30%
pdidy 1:33 AM - 24 May, 2014
Quote:
You're talking to an electrical engineer :p Good explanation though. My best estimate based on the settings of the devices in the signal chain is that it was at 30%

something still doesnt sound right.......how many subs were you using for the larger 200-person gig ?
Jim Davis Productions 2:52 PM - 24 May, 2014
I'll do a sanity check on my next larger gig, maybe the memory of my settings is fuzzy... I only had the one sub. My Numark NS6 was feeding the sub directly via XLR, and I was using the link out on the subs to feed my K12 tops. Sub's built-in 80Hz crossover was turned on, and "Vega Bass" switch was on. IIRC, subwoofer gain knob was at ~25% and the NS6 master knob was at ~60%
Jim Davis Productions 3:11 PM - 24 May, 2014
Either way, anyone looking for a lightweight sub should consider it. The problem is, I don't know what brick-and-mortar stores carry it as far as hearing it in person first.
DJ Tracktion 6:12 PM - 27 May, 2014
Well I'm still rocking the EV elx 115p's and no problems at all. I ended up getting a pair of the EV elx 112p's as well and really don't think anything is competing with EV at their respective price points. They are worth the couple extra hundred dollars to get these rather then Alto, Mackie, Behringer...etc. The speakers that are a close second for less money would be their own zlx line (which I've used but prefer the elx)

I passed on the EV elx sub. I bought the jbl vrx918sp but it was too big for my purposes. Haven't bought another sub yet but looks like the qsc kw181 will fit what I need it for and a partner of mine already has 2 of them so if/when we do any real big events we can double up and have fours kw181's going.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:25 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
Well I'm still rocking the EV elx 115p's and no problems at all. I ended up getting a pair of the EV elx 112p's as well and really don't think anything is competing with EV at their respective price points. They are worth the couple extra hundred dollars to get these rather then Alto, Mackie, Behringer...etc. The speakers that are a close second for less money would be their own zlx line (which I've used but prefer the elx)

I passed on the EV elx sub. I bought the jbl vrx918sp but it was too big for my purposes. Haven't bought another sub yet but looks like the qsc kw181 will fit what I need it for and a partner of mine already has 2 of them so if/when we do any real big events we can double up and have fours kw181's going.

I'm with you and the ELX115. They do everything I need. I rent subs when I need it. If the prices on the KW181 ever drop I'll buy 2. I need my set up to fit in the car.
Joee 8:31 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
I need my set up to fit in the car

that rcf sub 705-as might be the right fit for you as it's small & compact

i did a side buy side comparison with the kw181, the qsc hit's lower while the rcf punches harder but doesn't go as low
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:36 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:
I need my set up to fit in the car

that rcf sub 705-as might be the right fit for you as it's small & compact

i did a side buy side comparison with the kw181, the qsc hit's lower while the rcf punches harder but doesn't go as low

I'll take the 18 over the 15. Besides I am in no rush what so ever to get a sub. I can rent the Yorkie for $70 for the entire weekend.
Joee 9:20 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:
I can rent the Yorkie for $70 for the entire weekend.

thats a good price, you can pay 70 flat and use it for 2 to 3 gigs

i see why you rent, i wouldn't even be paying i'd just ad that $70 to the gig fee
Jim Davis Productions 9:22 PM - 27 May, 2014
Ditto @ what Joee said... I need to look into local rental prices here. Maybe I don't need to turn down gigs when I don't think I have the gear to handle them, haha.
JDforKing 11:48 PM - 27 May, 2014
Quote:

What did you prefer about the elx over the zlx? Do they sound similar?
Joee 12:02 AM - 28 May, 2014
Quote:

for me i can tell you SPL for starters

when comparing the elx115p to the zlx15p trust me when i tell you your better off spending the extra $200 to $300 for the pair

my 2 cents...
DJ GaFFle 12:04 AM - 28 May, 2014
+1 ^^^
Jim Davis Productions 5:27 PM - 28 May, 2014
I use the ZLX-12p's for wedding ceremonies and background/dinner music if they're in a different room/area from the dance floor, they serve that purpose well. Use K12's for my mains/dance floor speakers though.
DJ Tracktion 6:33 PM - 29 May, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

for me i can tell you SPL for starters

when comparing the elx115p to the zlx15p trust me when i tell you your better off spending the extra $200 to $300 for the pair

my 2 cents...

...yep. Prefer the wood box as well even though the dsp in the zlx is nice. Bass was better in the elx also.

Quote:
I use the ZLX-12p's for wedding ceremonies and background/dinner music if they're in a different room/area from the dance floor, they serve that purpose well. Use K12's for my mains/dance floor speakers though.

I use my elx112p's for the same thing but they also double as mains for smaller gigs and in-store events. I'm thinking of going to the zxa-1 for ceremony/cocktail duty now though.
Dreferd Silveira 3:47 AM - 24 August, 2014
Hey guys!..I'm looking for a pair of 15 inch speakers. I plan on using them without subs for an approximate crowd of 50-100ppl. I have done quite a bit of research on the JBL PRX715 and the Yamaha DXR15, However, I cant really come up to a conclusion. Pls. help me through this, and give your opinions about the 2 models mentioned above..
Aden 10:51 AM - 24 August, 2014
No sub? Get those dxrs. They sound great. Cost less and have a longer warranty.

I haven't heard the new prx line yet though
rayjthedj 11:55 AM - 24 August, 2014
Don't have the JBL and haven't listened to them, so I can't hate on them :)

I have the DXR15s and they are great sounding stand alone tops (even though I am a sub guy). With the size crowd you are talking, they will be great, however I am also not a fan of spending money twice. If a sub is in your future buy a good 12" top and keep the savings to add in your kitty for a good sub.

I only caution you on the sub, becuase about 90% of the people I talk with start out not planning on a sub, they buy one within a year :)

Good luck on your selection.

In the future you might give the forum a budget and what manufacturers are available in your area. There is a lot of diverse knowledge on this forum when it comes to speakers.
Dreferd Silveira 12:04 PM - 24 August, 2014
Quote:
Don't have the JBL and haven't listened to them, so I can't hate on them :)

I have the DXR15s and they are great sounding stand alone tops (even though I am a sub guy). With the size crowd you are talking, they will be great, however I am also not a fan of spending money twice. If a sub is in your future buy a good 12" top and keep the savings to add in your kitty for a good sub.

I only caution you on the sub, becuase about 90% of the people I talk with start out not planning on a sub, they buy one within a year :)

Good luck on your selection.

In the future you might give the forum a budget and what manufacturers are available in your area. There is a lot of diverse knowledge on this forum when it comes to speakers.

Thanks for that!..definitely Helps!...I have been using Yamaha products for quite some time, and I might end up with the DXR's. I reside in The United Arab Emirates, and we have got all the known brands available here(QSC, FBT, JBL, RCF, EV)...
rayjthedj 12:19 PM - 24 August, 2014
UAE is a beautifull place! Have flown in there a few times to work with the Apache Attack Helicopter feilding teams. I am a retired Army Pilot and the UAE bought Apaches several years ago.

All of the brands you have available are quality. If you are looking for a little more sound and can handle the difference in weight, look at the Yamaha DSR tops.

If you are looking for the best sound with not a huge difference in set up, get a EV-ETX15SP sub with a pair of EV-ETX10P tops. It will crush the sound of just a pair of tops stand alone.

Go to one of your local audio stores, if I remember right, everything in the UAE is top notch when it comes to shopping and store owner displays. Play some different set ups and let your ears decide for you.
Phil-Ibo 7:50 PM - 24 August, 2014
Derferd silveira

Please tell me the shop location in UAE, I want to buy speakers but still confused.....
If there is a shop have all this brands will be easier to decide
Triskelion 3:52 PM - 18 October, 2014
Hi all, first of all thanks for all the information. I know this thread is a little old, but I figured it was the best place to post my findings. I'm not getting them for DJ purposes....but here's my take on the 12" speakers.
I was looking for a couple of active speakers, for our rehearsal studio (contemporary dance and some site specific performances) with a budget of 2000 CHF (roughly the same in US$). So after reading a bunch of posts and listening to QSC K12, Yamaha DXR12 and Turbosound Milan M12, I bought the DXR12.

Why?
Well I was initially thinking of getting 15” because I was concerned about the bass being too thin on the 12”. Then I read that people were saying that 12” speakers were better balanced when used alone and tended to work better than the 15” when paired with subs. So I figured that the 12” would probably be fine and if I decided that more bass was needed I'd just add a couple of subs later on.

Note:
Unfortunately EV doesn't seem to be distributed very well around here (Geneva, Switzerland) so they were out of contention and the JBL PRX 712 have reports of loud fan noise and lack of robustness and weren't available for testing so I decided that I'd only test them if none of the others satisfied me.

What?
I needed speakers for our dance studio (LxWxH = 14m x 6m50 x 3m50) where we have rehearsals and presentations (mostly video and dance but can involve live voices / music). 30-50 people come to the presentations and choreographers (laptop / phone) and sound designers will use them during rehearsals. The space has mirrors and a wooden floor so there's quite a bit of resonance to it.

How?
I wanted something that would sound as neutral/flat as possible with sharp detail.
I listened to the QSC K12, Yamaha DXR12 and Turbosound Milan M12 in the store, first at a low level then louder. The M12 was by far the worst mainly because of it's lack of clarity in the mids but to be honest it under performs the other two in every respect at every sound level. The K12 sounds good but I felt that the bass was a bit too “wet” and it lacked the DXR12's clarity. I could hear the breathing from a wind instrument quite clearly on the DXR12, notice it on the K12 and not hear it at all on the Turbosound. Then as we turned the volume up I felt that the K12 came into it's own but still couldn't match the DXR12's detail and sharpness and still felt a little too “wet” to me. I would have gone for the DXR12 anyway, but the fact that the dance studio has a bit of reverberation to it made the choice easier.
During the test we also tried them with the flat and FOH (deep) settings on the back panel.
The listening session went on for about 45minutes at which point I was getting tired and had made my mind up.

So far they've been used for watching video art and a short movie (30 people audience in our rehearsal space) where they sounded well balanced and very clear, the presence of the speakers couldn't be felt . And for rehearsals where once again they fared well, the sound fills the space nicely without being harsh and manages to keep it's transparency even in this rather hostile environment.

One final note, the bass on these 12” speakers is quite surprisingly powerful (both the K12 and the DXR12) and I'm pretty sure that for all our needs in the dance studio we won't be needing subs. So my plan is to just rent the subs for the occasions when we need them.

Prices in Geneva:
k12: 950CHF
PRX712: 1000CHF
DXR12: 670CHF
Milan M12: 570CHF
Al Poulin 2:18 AM - 21 October, 2014
Thanks for the detailed comparison. I actually used my DXR8s and DXR15s today for 2 live shows for 150-250 kids and they did terrific as always. I never have to worry about them sounding bad regardless of level. I also use them (DXR15s) for all of my in home listening. They simply sound fantastic for PA speakers...

Al
lvmez 2:43 AM - 21 October, 2014
Question: Are the DSR's a higher end speaker than the DXR's? Trying to decide between the two.
dj_soo 3:02 AM - 21 October, 2014
yes, the dsrs are a step up from the dxrs.

That said, the larger voice coil in the tops seem a bit better suited to live music application over prerecorded stuff...
DJ.Tyme 9:24 AM - 21 October, 2014
Quote:
Question: Are the DSR's a higher end speaker than the DXR's? Trying to decide between the two.

i was on the same fence as you (trying to decide) trust me get the DSR's i 1st got a set of DSR 115's about 4 years ago. and i just bought a set of DSR112's for smaller gigs about 4-5 months ago. to be honest ive been taking the 12's to like all most of my gigs they really really sound that good
Liutasil 11:36 AM - 23 August, 2015
Very old topic, but i'll try my luck and hope someone will answer me.
Guys!
I am looking for very good PA and two came through my mind. Just something for around 100 people. It would be something for keyboard and vocals. Do you think, that RCF art 312 is still a good option? I have heard great things about it as well as about YAMAHA dbr12. Any help?
Thanks!
Aster 12:30 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
Guys!
I am looking for very good PA and two came through my mind. Just something for around 100 people. It would be something for keyboard and vocals. Do you think, that RCF art 312 is still a good option? I have heard great things about it as well as about YAMAHA dbr12. Any help?
Thanks!

If you wants to choose between the RCF312A and Yamaha DBR12, I would go with the 15" DBR15 which is only 17.7 KG

Another options better than what you mentioned--> you may consider a good offer based on where you are and the availability of:
- Montarbo W440A (My favourite 12" speaker)
- Montarbo Fire 12a
- FBT Promaxx 12a
- FBT Evo2Maxx 4a
lvmez 1:42 PM - 23 August, 2015
If the budget allows:

RCF EVOX8
Joee 6:50 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
Guys!
Thanks!

the art 312-a is a great speaker, as Ivmez mentioned if budget allows look into the evox 8

if budget doesn't …….i would consider the speakers you mentioned along with the dxr12
Jim Davis Productions 6:59 PM - 23 August, 2015
I wanted to echo Aster's FBT recommendation in general. I don't have FBT tops, but I just swapped out that Cerwin-Vega i mentioned earlier in the thread for a lighter FBT Subline 15sa. I spent some time at the FBT booth at the DJ Expo in Atlantic City last week and man, all of their stuff sounds great!!

I may need to upgrade to FBT tops sometime...
Joee 8:06 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
FBT booth at the DJ Expo in Atlantic City last week

did they have the promaxx15sa sub?…….i don't see one
Joee 8:06 PM - 23 August, 2015
65lbs^
Jim Davis Productions 8:08 PM - 23 August, 2015
As far as I know they only had the Subline, not the Promaxx sub. I bought their floor model on Tuesday and wasn't there Weds/Thurs so I don't know what they did after I walked out with it Tuesday evening haha. The sales rep said the manufacturer's rep wasn't particularly happy he sold it that early...
Jim Davis Productions 8:13 PM - 23 August, 2015
The Subline 15sa weighs just over 59lbs (checked it myself). Their website lists it at 70lbs, which must be the weight in the packaging.
Joee 8:15 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
The Subline 15sa weighs just over 59lbs (checked it myself). Their website lists it at 70lbs, which must be the weight in the packaging.

o wow…….if you ever do a party in the philly area let me know ,i would like to here it….i see some fbt tops in your future ……..haha
desmorider 9:32 PM - 23 August, 2015
Quote:
As far as I know they only had the Subline, not the Promaxx sub. I bought their floor model on Tuesday and wasn't there Weds/Thurs so I don't know what they did after I walked out with it Tuesday evening haha. The sales rep said the manufacturer's rep wasn't particularly happy he sold it that early...

How much did they charge you for the floor model?
Jim Davis Productions 9:45 PM - 23 August, 2015
$1050... I did some haggling :)
CKW 6:29 PM - 8 January, 2016
I'm looking for a portable system that will really thump in small to medium sized rooms. Up to about 250 people. Mostly house music, but the occasional open format wedding or corporate gig as well.

I've used the JBL PRX7 series many times, and I adore that system. For how small and lightweight those tops and subs are, I'm absolutely stunned at how big and clear that system sounds.

I thought I was sold on the PRX712's for tops and two PRX718 subs. Still probably my ideal system in that price range.

However I've found a great deal on some EV ELX112P's, paired with two of the EKX-18SP's for about $1,150 less than I can get the PRX7 series for.

I'm curious what everyone thinks. Is the PRX7 set up worth the extra money? I haven't heard the ELX stuff, but people seem to dig it. Thoughts?
DJ.Tyme 5:34 AM - 11 January, 2016
Quote:
I'm looking for a portable system that will really thump in small to medium sized rooms. Up to about 250 people. Mostly house music, but the occasional open format wedding or corporate gig as well.

I've used the JBL PRX7 series many times, and I adore that system. For how small and lightweight those tops and subs are, I'm absolutely stunned at how big and clear that system sounds.

I thought I was sold on the PRX712's for tops and two PRX718 subs. Still probably my ideal system in that price range.

However I've found a great deal on some EV ELX112P's, paired with two of the EKX-18SP's for about $1,150 less than I can get the PRX7 series for.

I'm curious what everyone thinks. Is the PRX7 set up worth the extra money? I haven't heard the ELX stuff, but people seem to dig it. Thoughts?

youtube Yamaha DSR 112 its what i use for smaller gigs & for bigger gigs i use DSR 115's
djvtyme85 7:28 PM - 11 January, 2016
i'd pass on the elx because they lack a internal fan. great speakers just don't let them get hot, they will shut down. the ekx and prx subs are very close, to the point i cant say one is better than the other. honestly i'd i pay the extra money for the etx 18 sub as it is a powerful beast when paired with either jbl prx or ekx tops.
JD WAS. 12:24 AM - 12 January, 2016
@DJ.Tyme how do the DSR 112 compare to the 115's in the base dept. ?
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:41 AM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
i'd pass on the elx because they lack a internal fan. great speakers just don't let them get hot, they will shut down. the ekx and prx subs are very close, to the point i cant say one is better than the other. honestly i'd i pay the extra money for the etx 18 sub as it is a powerful beast when paired with either jbl prx or ekx tops.

You do realize that there are plenty quality speakers without fans on them right? Let any speaker over heat and they will shut down.
djvtyme85 1:06 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

You do realize that there are plenty quality speakers without fans on them right? Let any speaker over heat and they will shut down.

of course. i've owned plenty over the years and the only ones to let me down on a 80 degree day were the elx, and i had a tint covering them. never had that problem with my eons or my rcfs. same conditions and location.
djvtyme85 1:07 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:

never used the dsr tops personally. but i do hear they are solid.
Al Poulin 7:23 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:

The DSR112s don't do very well reproducing deeper low frequencies. The 115s are much, much better used full range than the 112s. When using subs however, the DSR112s are superb and super compact too - why they don't do well in the low frequencies when used stand alone.

Al
JD WAS. 9:34 PM - 12 January, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

The DSR112s don't do very well reproducing deeper low frequencies. The 115s are much, much better used full range than the 112s. When using subs however, the DSR112s are superb and super compact too - why they don't do well in the low frequencies when used stand alone.

Al

Hey Al dsr115 vs your 8/12 Yamaha combo?
Al Poulin 4:41 AM - 13 January, 2016
Al

Hey Al dsr115 vs your 8/12 Yamaha combo?

The 8s over 12" sub combo will absolutely sound nicer and fuller as a system as is usually the case when comparing tops on stands versus tops over subs. The DSR115s are simply very impressive as a single cabinet solution that is able rock many parties without absolutely needing subs to thump. They are loud as fuck and thump very well for a single pair of 15s - why I often recommend them for those who are limited space wise in their vehicle, mostly do smaller parties and don't want to carry subs.

Al
DJ.Tyme 12:02 PM - 13 January, 2016
Al Poulin has alot of great videos on youtube about yamaha speakers :-) anyhoo yeah i dont never use subs. big gigs i take my dsr 115's & smaller backyard stuff & alot of weddings i just take my dsr 112's :-) if im doing some big azz hall/event i just rent some subs but for the most part i never use subs period
Steve D 4:55 PM - 24 February, 2016
Hey guys, I'm looking for honest reviews on the QSC k10 + Ksub system for live sound, and comparison to other small-crowd pa systems.
So far every review I've read online is ravingly positive, and my local store says it's the best system they've got.
A pro sound-tech guy I know (who has mixed sound for our band, but has never worked with QSC) says he thinks it's cheap & I'd be better off investing in RCF, Allen & Heath or ProaudioTech.
So I'm just looking for answers from someone who's used it in a live-sound setting, what are the downsides? Is it as good as advertised?
Thanks for your feedback,
Steve
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:00 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking for honest reviews on the QSC k10 + Ksub system for live sound, and comparison to other small-crowd pa systems.
So far every review I've read online is ravingly positive, and my local store says it's the best system they've got.
A pro sound-tech guy I know (who has mixed sound for our band, but has never worked with QSC) says he thinks it's cheap & I'd be better off investing in RCF, Allen & Heath or ProaudioTech.
So I'm just looking for answers from someone who's used it in a live-sound setting, what are the downsides? Is it as good as advertised?
Thanks for your feedback,
Steve

If you want to stay QSC replace the K Sub with the KW 181 and you are set.
Steve D 5:03 PM - 24 February, 2016
thanks DJ Val, but would you recommend QSC for live sound?
Taipanic 5:26 PM - 24 February, 2016
My personal opinions:

The K-Sub is an under performing sub, replace it with something better. K181, EV EKX or ETX, Yamaha DXS18, Yorkville LS801p, etc...
I think the K speakers sound a bit harsh when pushed hard, I prefer a warmer sound like what comes from the EV lines.
QSC makes quality equipment. They are workhorses and you can't go wrong with them if you like the sound.
Rebelguy 5:35 PM - 24 February, 2016
I actually found the EVs a bit harsh and overprocessed sounding. If you have the money I would recommend the JBL SRX 812s or Yamaha DSR112s. If you don't want to make the investment then I would say go for the Yamaha DXR line. The K series was great when they were released as their main competition was the Mackie SRM-450 and the JBL Eon line. Nowadays there is a lot of competition which sounds better, offers more features and in some situations cheaper. And yes the K series can sound a bit harsh when pushed close to limiting. There are also rumors that there is a new version of the K series being tested and possibly released soon so if you are set in QSC you may think about waiting.
DJ.Tyme 5:45 PM - 24 February, 2016
Qsc is "okay" look into Yamaha's DSR 112's & DSR 115's I use both for small gigs (112) and bigger gigs (115) go read up on the DSR 115 most reviews say they run away from most subs because they are that loud & can do many events without a sub.I can attest to this since I've done so many events without a sub.been in the fence about buying a sub...... But $ iz funny right now. Look in to more reviews about crappy K10 when pushed hard the sound like coral & lose the lower end. SK many DJ's jump on the K10 bandwagon just like So many DJ's are on Pioneers Dick.there is so many other controllers, players,mixers from other great company's. So don't follow the rest of the sheep......
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:59 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
I actually found the EVs a bit harsh and overprocessed sounding.

I have never heard that before. EV has always been the opposite. Nice clear warm sound.
DJ Johnny Bertone 6:24 PM - 24 February, 2016
EV have a nice warm sound, but they don't go anywhere near the SPL of the JBLs.
The sub also blows. you can't use the thing past 12:00 on the level dial or it clips really hard.

PRX 700 seriese is a little bit harsh. i personally own the PRX 615m and pound for pound they BLOW the 715 away as far as sound and response range. The 715 is very tinny and has harsh highs and mids with very little lows., where the 615 has a warm, even response range. the 718 sub is way better than the 618, but coupling 2 618s subs together and they sound like a completely different subwoofer.

id try to find a used set of JBL PRX 615M and 618S OR 618S-XLF subs, rather than the 700 series, or EVs. The EVs suck compared to the JBLs, and the 700 series is way overpriced for poop cabinets.
DJ.Tyme 7:17 PM - 24 February, 2016
JBL ? those Crown amps are know to blow & overheat ? google it ;-)
DJ Johnny Bertone 7:20 PM - 24 February, 2016
The JBL 625 and 635s had known overheating issues but I've never had a problem with mine. Even riding the limiter the entire night. Crown amps are the best next to crest audio amps. And that's only because the 600 series was passive cooling
Mr.Jace 7:23 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

of course. i've owned plenty over the years and the only ones to let me down on a 80 degree day were the elx, and i had a tint covering them. never had that problem with my eons or my rcfs. same conditions and location.

When your elx112p shut down on you in 80 degree temperature, were you running them full range or were they high passed? Just curious.
Rebelguy 7:55 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I have never heard that before. EV has always been the opposite. Nice clear warm sound.

When I compared the ETX-12p vs the JBL SRX812P and my current speakers the EVs sound a bit harsh and over-processed. Something about the horn bothered me as well. They weren't consistent across the whole coverage pattern. It was decent in the middle but the sound changed as you moved to the left or right. These are my opinions. Others may love their EVs.
DJ Johnny Bertone 8:17 PM - 24 February, 2016
Why is there even a discussion on 12" speakers? They're useless unless your bringing a sub. Just get the 15s so you won't need a sub for every gig
Rebelguy 8:44 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Why is there even a discussion on 12" speakers? They're useless unless your bringing a sub. Just get the 15s so you won't need a sub for every gig

Useless to who? If I were doing a corporate event or a public speaking event I would not bring 15 inch cabinets. I also have no problem using 12 inch cabinets for smaller weddings. Not every event requires a sub.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 9:03 PM - 24 February, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

When I compared the ETX-12p vs the JBL SRX812P and my current speakers the EVs sound a bit harsh and over-processed. Something about the horn bothered me as well. They weren't consistent across the whole coverage pattern. It was decent in the middle but the sound changed as you moved to the left or right. These are my opinions. Others may love their EVs.

Funny thing is the ETX & the new JBLs are the ones with the active DSP processing built into them. The ELX don't. Go figure....
Hanginon 9:28 PM - 24 February, 2016
You can't get good, full range sound out of any two-way on sticks speaker. Without going into all the scientific reasons why, it's basically the immutable "Laws of Physics". Please do not confuse good sound with loud sound, although usually having a separate sub will also give the tops more headroom.

So how do you separate yourself from the legions of DJ's who pride themselves by putting 50+ pound speakers up on sticks? You design your system to be as physically light as possible, and to always include the sub. 10" tops with a good, light, sub, that you always bring - that's how. The total weight can be as little as 10 pounds more than a pair of 15" tops alone. You do not have to hang 50+ pounds up in the air, and (most importantly), you have good bass, good mid-range, and good dispersion.
DJ.Tyme 10:47 PM - 24 February, 2016
Useless to who? If I were doing a corporate event or a public speaking event I would not bring 15 inch cabinets. I also have no problem using 12 inch cabinets for smaller weddings. Not every event requires a sub.

Amen to that:for smaller gigs my Yamaha DSR 112's work just fine without a sub.small wedding's & backyard function's. My 12's is all I need 😉
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:11 AM - 25 February, 2016
I ran K10s and 1 Ksub. didn't cut it
I got another Ksub, coupled them together. didn't cut

I traded the Ksubs for 1 KW181 and was happy. I even was happy with a pair of K8s and the KW181. I would go with the 10s for live music because you can use them as floor monitors also.

I think you will find similar results from the Yamaha DXR/DSR combos.
dj_soo 8:59 AM - 25 February, 2016
I just sold my K12s for a pair of DXR8s and don't regret it for a minute.

I rarely do parties larger than 300 and a pair of DXR10s, DXR8s, and 1-4 Yorkville NX720Ss works perfectly at a small size and weight footprint.

I want to grab a Yorkville PS12S and have a high output micro rig that weighs less than 120lbs combined and can easily handle parties of 120 or less.
Djmag3 1:15 PM - 21 March, 2017
Yahamaha dsr115 or JBL prx 815?
Hanginon 1:55 PM - 21 March, 2017
Quote:

It is truly incredible to me how ingrained the 15" two-way is.

Thank goodness the DJ industry never pushed 18" two-way's
on the unsuspecting neophyte's.
577er 4:32 PM - 21 March, 2017
I would recommend two 15"s vs two 12"s to anyone starting out who couldn't afford a sub & smaller tops or who just wanted a two speaker system for whatever reason.
Arjun B 8:11 PM - 21 March, 2017
Quote:

Yamaha DSR115 if you're not going to be using the bluetooth control functionality.
The DSR line is comparable to the JBL SRX line, so PRX would fall under it.
DJ.Tyme 5:49 AM - 23 March, 2017
Yamaha's all the way i DJ with DSR 115 for larger events & use my DSR 112's for smaller gigs :-)
Ferda 10:10 AM - 20 April, 2017
Pair of JBL PRX612m (without subs!) is the way best solution for outdoor or large events (stadium, gym..) With a small mixing console such as AH ZED 10i for music from iPad or notebook and speech (presenters). Proffessional, very clean, transparent, FULL sound on the loudest volume of all, no competition here (in 10"-12" and leightweight range).
Danve 7:31 PM - 7 August, 2017
i want to buy a pair of speakers but i'm not shure about one to choose. I have 2 first option

A)-JBL EON615. chf- 575.00

B)-YAMAHA DBR15. chf 535.00

A-1) YAMAHA DXR15 chf 679.00

B-1) Fender Fortis F 15BT chf 690.00

Does anyone help me choose one?
dj_soo 8:35 PM - 7 August, 2017
Get the DXRs if you're in it for the long haul.
Arjun B 4:13 PM - 8 August, 2017
Yeah, grab the Yamaha DXR15 and don't look back
Danve 4:22 PM - 8 August, 2017
Thank you, Arjun B.
  If I have to choose between the JBL or the DBR which would be better option?
So I actually want the dxr but if I had to choose between JBL or DBR ????
Arjun B 8:18 PM - 8 August, 2017
I would get the DBR15's, but honestly spend the little extra and get the DXR15's. You'll be much more comfortable in the long run.

JBL Eons don't get good or bad reviews in general, but people find the DBR15 and EV ZLX15 to be better competitors. DBR will get a touch louder than both. I own the DSR115 and have heard the DXR15 aswell. Love all of the Yamaha gear, best in class.
kasey 5:26 PM - 29 August, 2017
Bottom line: Price for performance, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING could rival the EV ELX series (Not the 18" sub tho, that sucks big time).
Rebelguy 5:31 PM - 29 August, 2017
Quote:
Bottom line: Price for performance, NOTHING and I mean NOTHING could rival the EV ELX series (Not the 18" sub tho, that sucks big time).

Yeah the Yamaha DXR line does. They get louder and sound better doing it.
Rebelguy 5:31 PM - 29 August, 2017
And the Yamaha 18 sucks as well.
kasey 10:43 AM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah the Yamaha DXR line does. They get louder and sound better doing it.

Is the Yamaha the same price?
kasey 10:47 AM - 30 August, 2017
Note, I said PRICE for performance. Amazon has the EV at $550 whereas the Yamaha is $800.
Rebelguy 2:44 PM - 30 August, 2017
Quote:
Note, I said PRICE for performance. Amazon has the EV at $550 whereas the Yamaha is $800.

You can find the DXR15 for $670 if you shop around. Possibly even lower. I would save up the extra $120.
Siddharthpande 6:22 PM - 20 September, 2017
In India the prices are a little different. Please help me choose one according to these stats.
I had chosen the SRM450v3 but then I got a doubt that should I invest a $100 dollars more and get JBL EON 515XT.

JBL EON 612 (not prx) $628 (USD)
Mackie SRM 450v3 $520
EV - ZLX 12p $621
JBL EON 515XT $652

My use will be at very low volumes, and rarely high volumes for a house party. I prefer "Quality over Loudness". I can't go beyond $652. It is the max I can go. Also is the jump from $520 for mackies to $652 EON 515 worth the cost ?

The above are the only options I have. EVs, Yamahas and QSCs are way too expensive here. I have Behringers in option but they had too bad reviews. Thus only the listed speakers.
Siddharthpande 6:30 PM - 20 September, 2017
Also.. The JBL PRX series is unavailable in India and will be way too costly as the PRX 412 is way over $650 dollars.
dj_soo 6:45 PM - 20 September, 2017
of those choices, I'd probably go with the ZLXs
Siddharthpande 7:23 PM - 20 September, 2017
If that's the case, how will the Mackie Thump 12 hold up against EV ZLX 12p ? I initially wanted the Thump 15 but thought that SRM series will sound better as they are above the Thump series.
Will the JBL 515XT and Mackie SRM 450v3 be any better in Sound Quality at higher volumes just because they are a step higher than the Thump/ ZLX level series ?
I will be using the speakers mostly for listening to EDM.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:31 PM - 20 September, 2017
Y'all still buy Mackie?
dj_soo 7:35 PM - 20 September, 2017
zlx is a step or two above thumps and more in line with Eons (although better).

The Mackies are one of those companies where quality is iffy and while they sound pretty good, they have a history of reliability and quality issues.

If you can afford it, look at the ZLX15s if you don't think you'll get a sub. If the Yamaha DBR tops are available (and similar in price), I'd choose those over any of the tops you listed.
Siddharthpande 7:36 PM - 20 September, 2017
@DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 : Well.. It's India.. :P
Mackies are the cheapest and other are way too costly for most here. Honestly, I am new to the "PA systems world" and don't know much about em.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 7:40 PM - 20 September, 2017
Quote:
@DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 : Well.. It's India.. :P
Mackies are the cheapest and other are way too costly for most here. Honestly, I am new to the "PA systems world" and don't know much about em.

Honest answer, I respect that.

Do what you gotta do.
Siddharthpande 7:43 PM - 20 September, 2017
Quote:
zlx is a step or two above thumps and more in line with Eons (although better).

The Mackies are one of those companies where quality is iffy and while they sound pretty good, they have a history of reliability and quality issues.

If you can afford it, look at the ZLX15s if you don't think you'll get a sub. If the Yamaha DBR tops are available (and similar in price), I'd choose those over any of the tops you listed.

The ELX 112 is the only speaker available right now. And the ZLX 15 is for a whooping $932.
Siddharthpande 7:44 PM - 20 September, 2017
ELX 112 is the only EV available apart from zlx 12*...
DJ Tracktion 8:16 PM - 20 September, 2017
ELX112 are great. Like really, really good. Better than all the others you had listed there (The Eon515 prob beats it in bass though).

What can you get those for? I rocked a pair of them for quite a while. With subs and without - I liked them more than the prx612 and k12, esp at their price point.
Siddharthpande 8:55 PM - 20 September, 2017
Quote:
ELX112 are great. Like really, really good. Better than all the others you had listed there (The Eon515 prob beats it in bass though).

What can you get those for? I rocked a pair of them for quite a while. With subs and without - I liked them more than the prx612 and k12, esp at their price point.

The ELX112 is for $465 but passives. The powered one ELX112p is unavailable. And the ELX115p is for around $930. I guess I will have to go for the ZLX112p. Also, how loud is 127 db on the ZLX112p as compared to Logitech Z623 pc speaker ? :P Would the ZLX112 sound same as ELX112 ?
(NOOB alert)
Siddharthpande 8:58 PM - 20 September, 2017
I guess i will have to reframe the question. :D
In terms of loudness, will it be loud enough for a 50 x 50 feet open space without losing quality ?
577er 5:44 AM - 21 September, 2017
Quote:
I guess i will have to reframe the question. :D
In terms of loudness, will it be loud enough for a 50 x 50 feet open space without losing quality ?

Yes all of these speakers are easily loud enough for a 50x50 foot "room" if you don't need much bass. Don't go by the specs like "127dB" as that's a calculated marketing hype number and beyond the actual capacity of the speaker in any meaningful way. Getting an actual 127dB on the dance floor would be too loud even for India! 105dB is more realistic for a loud dance floor.
Siddharthpande 12:46 PM - 21 September, 2017
Thanks a ton for the inputs everyone...!! I was going to buy the Mackie SRM 450v3.

The decision to seek advise on this forum was a life saver ! Apparently, all the local dealers here vouch for the Mackies ad JBLs. And the EVs aren't that famous because most people here care only about how will the speaker get. I finally on the verge of fixing a deal at $678 for the EV ELX112p (single).

Also, will the wooden cabinets of the ELX be any weaker than the Plastic ones on the ZLX ?
If the deal doesn't go through and the ELXs come too costly, will the ZLX be good enough ?
Siddharthpande 12:49 PM - 21 September, 2017
*And the EVs aren't that famous because most people here care only about how loud will the speaker get.
577er 3:25 PM - 21 September, 2017
The wood cabinets of the ELX are stronger than the plastic cabinets of the
ZLX in terms of scratches and wearing.

The ZLX are a lower level but newer model than the ELX. The ELX probably has a bit more output if I remember correctly.
Taipanic 4:14 PM - 21 September, 2017
Wood cabinets are always better as far as sound quality. The biggest benefit to plastic speakers is the weight savings, though at a cost of sound quality.
flashdj 7:52 AM - 24 September, 2017
Please help me choose Electro-Voice ZLX-12P vs JBL EON 612 ?
Taipanic 2:41 PM - 25 September, 2017
Quote:

I prefer the sound of the EVs for prerecorded music.
kasey 11:41 AM - 26 September, 2017
EV will pulverize the JBL.
RCF Nick 11:57 AM - 28 September, 2017
TechOne 9:05 AM - 7 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

I prefer the sound of the EVs for prerecorded music.

I would agree. I own both a set of EON 612's and a EV ELX-200 10P with the ELX-200 12SP. Even without the subs inline. The EV's just have a better sound in whole. All depends though on your application and how you hear the system. I have had the pleasure over the past 17 years to own or spin on many brands. IMO hardest hitting subs I have came across are the Cerwin-Vega's T-750 with the EV Eliminator tops were always one of my favorites, but now days everything is moving to powered cabinets. I personally focus on SPL and the -10dB freq response when looking for new speakers and of course a test drive.