Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

IN NEED OF HELP..

Product
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
Geo500 2:58 AM - 25 October, 2011
I just bought a new setup:
Rane TTM57SL mixer
Stanton STR8.150 x2

I have no idea how to set my equipment.. i downloaded the newly Serato software update, I got everything up and running but when i hook up my turntables to the mixer i receive no sound just a humming noise.. the humming noise is usually from the ground connection but my turntables do not require it. I'm using the vinyls that came with the mixer is that a problem?? and i also didn't connect my speakers is that a problem also, wouldn't it play threw my laptop instead?? please help.. this is my first time using vinyls and turntables.

(PS I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO CONNECT MY WIRES)
3:11 AM, 25 Oct 2011
Discussion moved to Scratch Live Help
Geo500 3:25 AM - 25 October, 2011
cmon can anyone help me..
DJ Dub Cowboy 3:53 AM - 25 October, 2011
there are pictures of where the wires go in the manual. the sound will not come out of your computer, you need speakers or at least headphones.

is the humming noise the sound of the control vinyl?
if so, then switch the input selector to D1 or D2 to hear the virtual deck

also make sure that your input dip switches on the back of the mixer are set to phono as opposed to line.

if you are in input 1 and 3, try 2 and 4
there is a setting in the setup page of scratch live to decide which inputs will receive the control signal.

I recommend reading the manual twice from front to back. Even if you think you know something there is always more to learn.
WarpNote 7:19 AM - 25 October, 2011
Geo500, you also might wanna have a look at this video > serato.com
Also, I don't have the Stantons myself, but from what Ive read, they can deliver spdif or line levels, so you might want to check any switches to make sure you have the same level set on both the mixer and the turntable.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:04 PM - 25 October, 2011
Any luck Geo500?
Geo500 4:58 PM - 25 October, 2011
yes. plenty of luck it seems to me that the problem is with the vinyl that came with my mixer. it doesn't do anything just a humming noise, its like a blank vinyl, all u can do is scratch with it, it does not play the song i put on the software. the turntable is set to phono and same with the mixer.. im still struggling getting my setup working. do i need to buy new serato vinyls?? :S
Geo500 5:01 PM - 25 October, 2011
and i switched to d2 and i can hear the music but im unable to scratch. but on a3 i can scratch but all i hear is humming noises.
WarpNote 5:12 PM - 25 October, 2011
Switch virtual decks into "REL"..... turn off any "THRU" setting....
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:24 PM - 25 October, 2011
There won't be a thru setting when using a 57 but definitely put the virtual decks in either ABS or REL modes.

Quote:
yes. plenty of luck it seems to me that the problem is with the vinyl that came with my mixer. it doesn't do anything just a humming noise, its like a blank vinyl, all u can do is scratch with it, it does not play the song i put on the software. the turntable is set to phono and same with the mixer.. im still struggling getting my setup working. do i need to buy new serato vinyls?? :S

Your hearing/scratching the control tone that is on the record.
There is nothing wrong with your record.
Set the input switches correctly (D1 for PGM1 and D2 for PGM2) and put the virtual decks in ABS or REL mode.
That should get things working.
Geo500 6:01 PM - 25 October, 2011
ok thank you. now i have another problem lmfao i cant control my faders and cross fader.
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:06 PM - 25 October, 2011
What do you mean you can't control the faders?

They aren't cutting the sound in and out?
Are you listening to the audio through speakers connected to your mixer or in your headphones?
Geo500 6:48 PM - 25 October, 2011
headphones.
Geo500 6:50 PM - 25 October, 2011
yea there not cutting the sound out, is that bcs of my headphones. so it will cut out on my speakers? ok. and how do i setup my midi effects on the mixer?
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:54 PM - 25 October, 2011
You not going to hear the cut in your headphones unless your monitoring the main output.
You can do this by pressing the master/cue button on the mixer.

Quote:
ok. and how do i setup my midi effects on the mixer?

I would suggest watching the videos on the 57 to get a better understanding of how the mixer works --> serato.com (look at the Scratch Live videos section).

There are no such things as "midi effects".
If your wanting to know how to route the internal effects to your 57 watch this video --> serato.com
pdidy 11:01 PM - 25 October, 2011
Quote:
yea there not cutting the sound out, is that bcs of my headphones. so it will cut out on my speakers? ok. and how do i setup my midi effects on the mixer?

there is just so much you dont no, I think you need someone to teach you the basics. An online forum just will not do because you need detailed assistance. I suggest you make or find some dj friends quick or even pay one for a few hours training.
Geo500 4:49 AM - 26 October, 2011
um sir thats why im asking for help on the forum yes i do have friends that dj over my area, and ure comment isnt really nessesary.. u can either contribute into helping me towards my new equipment or do not get involved in this help request,, thanks..
WarpNote 7:07 AM - 26 October, 2011
Geo500, pdidy's comment was meant as help, no need to tell him off.
And he is right you know, it will save you a lot of time :D
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:39 PM - 26 October, 2011
Along with the links I gave you above, most information you will find in the manual.
We are definitely here to help when you run into a snag or need some clarification on something:)
Dj Wunder 10:24 PM - 26 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

there is just so much you dont no, I think you need someone to teach you the basics. An online forum just will not do because you need detailed assistance. I suggest you make or find some dj friends quick or even pay one for a few hours training.

Quote:
um sir thats why im asking for help on the forum yes i do have friends that dj over my area, and ure comment isnt really nessesary.. u can either contribute into helping me towards my new equipment or do not get involved in this help request,, thanks..

I disagree, his comment was spot on. Please believe me when I say I don't mean to be rude, but your experience level is waaaaay low when it comes to your new setup, and having someone help you in person is really the only way you're going to understand some of the core concepts.
Geo500 4:43 AM - 27 October, 2011
ok. another problem.. where are my effects on this mixer?? or even on serato scratch live, how do i assign effects.

another question.. any good sites to download music? utorrent ? pirate bay? :s
WarpNote 4:46 AM - 27 October, 2011
ibtl..
Geo500 6:21 AM - 27 October, 2011
ok..
Geo500 6:21 AM - 27 October, 2011
ok. another problem.. where are my effects on this mixer?? or even on serato scratch live, how do i assign effects.

another question.. any good sites to download music? utorrent ? pirate bay? :s
WarpNote 6:54 AM - 27 October, 2011
Don't promote illegal downloading > serato.com

Some good sites for buying music are:
> www.amazon.com
> itunes store
> www.junodownload.com
> www.beatport.com
Find more legal sources here > serato.com

Internal FX on the TTM > serato.com
DJ-FX Plug in in SSL > serato.com
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:03 AM - 27 October, 2011
Geo500

the manual is your best friend right now. I read it often.
serato.com

PS> this manual is for 2.1 and needs to be updated by Serato

to answer your questions:
The 57 internal effects are in group 6. Press the Group button and then B6. Now the controls will control the two internal effects processors in the TTM57. To see what you are controlling open scratch Live and press on the Hardware tab. There is too much to explain on the forum so I recommend reading up on the manual.

The DJ-FX in Scratch Live need to be activated in the setup screen under Plug Ins. Once you do that a DJ-FX tab will appear in Scratch Live. When you click that tab you will see two effects processor units. These are all controlled in the software however Group 5 on the TTM 57 can control some of the functions.

I use my internal 57 effects often. I have the first effect set up for a delay, and my second effect for a Phaser. I assign the effects to the Aux channel and use the Flex FX to activate them on either channel.
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:03 AM - 27 October, 2011
Geo500

the manual is your best friend right now. I read it often.
serato.com

PS> this manual is for 2.1 and needs to be updated by Serato

to answer your questions:
The 57 internal effects are in group 6. Press the Group button and then B6. Now the controls will control the two internal effects processors in the TTM57. To see what you are controlling open scratch Live and press on the Hardware tab. There is too much to explain on the forum so I recommend reading up on the manual.

The DJ-FX in Scratch Live need to be activated in the setup screen under Plug Ins. Once you do that a DJ-FX tab will appear in Scratch Live. When you click that tab you will see two effects processor units. These are all controlled in the software however Group 5 on the TTM 57 can control some of the functions.

I use my internal 57 effects often. I have the first effect set up for a delay, and my second effect for a Phaser. I assign the effects to the Aux channel and use the Flex FX to activate them on either channel.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:03 PM - 27 October, 2011
Thanks Dub:)

The 2.3 manual is what is in the 2.3.1 download section --> serato.com
Geo500 3:33 AM - 3 November, 2011
Quote:
Geo500

^ how do i do that
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????

ok so i followed your steps in turning my dj-fx on and it shows me the 2 processors that shows 6 effects; LPF, Reverb, Delay, HPF, Phaser,and Echo. Now how do i assighn them to my mixer so when im in the mix they will work with a touch of a button.
DJ Dub Cowboy 4:08 AM - 3 November, 2011
look in group 5, there should be controls for the DJ-FX
Geo500 4:56 AM - 3 November, 2011
can you be more specific lol i went to group five how do i pick what effect to go on which button. :s and where do i go to assignand choose where it goes.. :s
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:56 AM - 3 November, 2011
are you trying to use the DJ-FX plug in in Scratch Live or the built in Effects in the 57?

DF-FX = Group 5 serato.com
57 Effects = Group 6 serato.com
Geo500 7:03 PM - 3 November, 2011
57 effects
DJ Dub Cowboy 7:14 PM - 3 November, 2011
B1 assigns to Deck A
B2 assigns to Deck B
B3 assigns to Aux
B4 assigns to Main
B5 lets you cue the effect in the headphone
B6 turns it on and off (it must be on to hear the effect)

there is also the Deck button which switches between the two effects processors.

so pick your two effects
use Deck to select which one you want to control

assign to the deck you want with B1-B4
turn on with B6

I leave mine assigned to AUX (B3) and then you can activate either deck with the FLex FX buttons up by the EQs

the downside of that is the mic and anything coming into the aux channel will be effected also
Geo500 7:53 PM - 3 November, 2011
ok. and what coffin should i buy for my mixer and turntables. should a mixer 12 inch be fine?
Geo500 8:11 PM - 3 November, 2011
and what speakers would u recommend rokits?
Geo500 8:59 PM - 3 November, 2011
and can i bring any dj coffin on an airplane? how do i bring my dj equipment on an airplane?
DJ Dub Cowboy 10:03 AM - 4 November, 2011
I have the Rokit6s and I love them

I also prefer Road Ready cases and you need one for a 10inch mixer.
Geo500 4:07 PM - 5 December, 2011
how do i make loops.. fast??
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:50 PM - 5 December, 2011
I'm assuming your referring to using auto loops?

The keyboard command for auto looping is alt + ctrl + the number keys.
Or you can use your mouse and just click on the auto looping parameters that are directly below the manual looping parameters to engage an auto loop.

5:00 PM, 19 Dec 2011
This help request has been closed due to inactivity.
Geo500 3:30 PM - 22 January, 2012
When i record on my 57 mixer how come the audio output is so low.. i would have to turn my speakers up all the way to listen to it from a laptop. why is this?
Rane, Support
Zach S 7:07 PM - 23 January, 2012
The recording level should definitely be adequate.
Just make sure that the recording input level is just under clipping (red).
If you need the volume to be louder still you would need to boost it using an audio editing program.
Geo500 11:17 PM - 24 January, 2012
I fixed the problem by setting my gain higher in next to the record button lol didnt notice it till now thanks
Geo500 11:23 PM - 24 January, 2012
soundcloud.com

nice mix :)
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:43 PM - 24 January, 2012
Awesome:)
Thanks for the link:)
Geo500 12:02 AM - 25 January, 2012
follow and exploit it lol
Geo500 10:12 PM - 7 February, 2012
i need help with my effects on the 57 mixer... it seems that i have barely any effects in the mixer, i thought that serato will come with plenty of effects, but theres only about 8 of them flanger, echos, desecrater, and filters.. not many variety.. is there something that im missing? shouldnt their be more of a variety with serato?
Rane, Support
Zach S 11:02 PM - 7 February, 2012
There are effects in the mixer and DJ FX in the software.

Go to Setup in SSL, click Plugins, click DJ FX, and enable them.

Once enabled you'll see a DJ FX tab on the left side of the screen.
12:00 AM, 22 Feb 2012
Geo500 11:25 PM - 15 April, 2012
I recently bought Novation Dicers for my Stanton str8-150s wondering how I remove the start/stop button to fit my dicer on the turntable without causing damage.
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:26 PM - 16 April, 2012
I would contact Stanton and ask them how to mod their turntables.
Geo500 2:14 AM - 26 April, 2012
Does anyone know how to get a better quality recording with the 57 mixer? I upload my mixes to soundcloud but they are not as loud. I put the gain volume all the way up on the serato program while recording, and i also put the gain volume on my mixer to as far as it goes without ruining the mix. So my question is... How do I make my mixes louder ?
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:51 PM - 26 April, 2012
You'll need to boost the volume using an audio editing program such as Soundforge or Wavelab (PC) or Peak (Mac).

This is getting into audio production skills though.
If your not familiar with mastering audio I would suggest finding someone who is and have them beef up the mix.
If you'd like to try it yourself I would pick a program and watch some YouTube tutorials to get an idea of what you'll need to do within that program to get your mix louder.
Geo500 6:34 PM - 26 April, 2012
would audacity work?
Rane, Support
Zach S 9:15 PM - 26 April, 2012
Yes.. I think so.
Try doing some research about it via YouTube or Google.
Geo500 5:40 AM - 28 April, 2012
i just bought dicers and im having troubles setting it up I followed the steps exactly as it says. but when i turn on my scratch live something pops up to upgade driver or something.. so i do that and its been on a loading screen (i guess you can call it that), its like a checklist of what you are using, What am i suppose to do? should i leave it on? it says it may take a while... and when i try to play around with the dicer they change colour.
Geo500 5:41 AM - 28 April, 2012
by play around i mean (try to hook it up) and changing colour as in im not pressing the buttons its doing it on its own lol
Geo500 6:01 AM - 29 April, 2012
k i fixed the dicer problems now im having troubles setting up my new studio monitors (akai rpm3) i tried everything but i cant get sound from them from my mixer (TTM57SL)
phatbob 9:24 AM - 29 April, 2012
How are you connecting them? You need XLR to jack cables, from the Master out on the mixer to the jack inputs on the speakers. That should work fine.
Geo500 11:16 AM - 30 April, 2012
thats what i did lol i used a 1/4 jack or 1/8 jack ill try it again later on today
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:34 PM - 30 April, 2012
You need to go out of either the 1/4 or rca output of the 57 into either the 1/4" or rca inputs on the right speaker. From there, run a 1/8"(?) cable from your right speaker to your left speaker. Make sure to turn up the level knob on the 57 for whatever output your using.
Geo500 5:11 AM - 4 May, 2012
You know what... "fuk it" these monitors are poop any ways ill just buy something else
Geo500 5:24 AM - 4 May, 2012
Behringer Eurolive B208D-WH Professional Speaker

are these any good? i just need something small, yet loud, and very easy to use (plug in and hear the music) will these be a good option?

The akai monitors I don't think they work to begin with, I tested them out on my laptop and the laptop reads the monitors and knows its there but no sound comes out, when I use the USB to Laptop it should automatically sync in, am I correct? so then I plugged in my headphones into the speakers and then I start hearing country music... no joke lol.
Geo500 5:32 AM - 4 May, 2012
and if I were to buy the Behringer Eurolive B208D-WH Professional Speaker can I buy one of them or do I have to buy 2?
Rane, Support
Zach S 5:15 PM - 7 May, 2012
Those are ok monitors.
You don't need to buy two of them.
6:00 PM, 21 May 2012
Geo500 2:50 AM - 20 June, 2012
OK so there's a new club out in my area and they are looking for DJs bartenders ect. and they want an on-line resume. What kind of information should I put down? Sound cloud info? signed to a record label?
Rane, Support
Zach S 3:48 PM - 20 June, 2012
Please post a separate thread in the DJing Discussions section as your questions are not related to using Scratch Live.

You will get a much better response in that section.