DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Question for scratchtools users

mud_mouthed 1:24 AM - 22 October, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.3.1
Hardware: scratchlive-sl1
Computer: pc
OS Version: xp
---

Just want to do two simple things. Sync crates with folders (remove those that have moved from folder and add those that are new).

Remove old duplicate files (as in remove those in database longest).

I looked over at www.scratchtools.de fourms and I didn't get any where.

Anybody have experience with any of the above tasks?
Konix 5:12 AM - 22 October, 2011
Yes I can help you out with ScratchTools.
mud_mouthed 6:07 AM - 22 October, 2011
Is it possible to do these things?
mud_mouthed 3:58 PM - 22 October, 2011
Glad you can help I've been wanting to do this for a while. I add music often so this gets to be a pain.

Syncing folders with crates

Alright so I've installed scratchtools and started to make a *.bat file to update my crate !! Hip Hop - 00's (same name as the folder on my hd)

This is what I have in my bat....

cd C:\Program Files\ScratchTools
java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m ScratchTools.jar "G:/" --sync "!! Hip Hop - 00's;Music Libaray/!! Hip Hop - 00's"

Does this look correct?
mud_mouthed 4:32 PM - 22 October, 2011
Doesn't seem to be updating the crate.
Konix 5:15 PM - 22 October, 2011
Looks correct, what's the output saying in the command line window. Is it saying any errors?
mud_mouthed 5:23 PM - 22 October, 2011
C:\Documents and Settings\I'll HOUSE YOU\Desktop\BAtch Files>cd C:\Program Files
\ScratchTools

C:\Program Files\ScratchTools>java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m ScratchTools.jar "G:/"
--sync "!! Hip Hop - '00's;Music Libaray/!! Hip Hop - '00's"
Implementation version/built date : 00.10.09 2011-01-18 21:15:27
Setting library path to G:/
Loaded Test from:C:\Program Files\ScratchTools\ScratchTools.jar
C:\Program%20Files\ScratchTools\ScratchTools.jar\lib\WinFoldersJava.dl
l
C:\Program Files\ScratchTools\lib\WinFoldersJava.dll
checking for library path on 'G:\'
found library on 'G:\_Serato_'
free memory: 498429
allocated memory: 506816
max memory: 506816
total free memory: 498429
Databaselocation set to G:\_Serato_\database V2
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 00's.crate
Reading crate !! 00's from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 00's.crate'
setting sortColumn # as false
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 10's.crate
Reading crate !! 10's from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 10's.crate'
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 40's + under.crate
Reading crate !! 40's + under from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 40's + under.c
rate'
setting sortColumn song as false
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 50's + 60's.crate
Reading crate !! 50's + 60's from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 50's + 60's.cra
te'
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 70's.crate
Reading crate !! 70's from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 70's.crate'
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 80's.crate
Reading crate !! 80's from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 80's.crate'
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 90's.crate
Reading crate !! 90's from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! 90's.crate'
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! Barcade 09-15-11.crate
Reading crate !! Barcade 09-15-11 from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! Barcade 09
-15-11.crate'
setting sortColumn artist as false
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! Country, Folk, Old Time, Blues.crate
Reading crate !! Country, Folk, Old Time, Blues from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcrates
\!! Country, Folk, Old Time, Blues.crate'
setting sortColumn artist as false
done setting columns
Reading crate G:\_Serato_\Subcrates\!! Electronic + Dance + Techno + Club.crate
Reading crate !! Electronic + Dance + Techno + Club from file 'G:\_Serato_\Subcr
ates\!! Electronic + Dance + Techno + Club.crate'
setting sortColumn album as false
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
at ssl_crates.O.F(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.S.B(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.F.D(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.F.B(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.g.A(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.N.A(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.L.B(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.L.J(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.L.G(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.E.A.K(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.E.A.A(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.foo.A(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.foo.main(Unknown Source)

C:\Program Files\ScratchTools>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
Konix 5:26 PM - 22 October, 2011
Try increasing the RAM from 512 to 1024

java -jar -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m ......everything else
mud_mouthed 7:01 PM - 22 October, 2011
Yeaah that did the trick, worked great. Whats the protocol for syncing multiple crates/folders in the same batch file. Do I just use a ; or ,?

Thanks for your help my life is going to be a hell of allot easier.
Konix 9:42 PM - 22 October, 2011
Yes just use a semicolon to separate the next crate and path

--sync "crate;path;crate2;path2;crate3;path3,etc..."

Or if you mirror all your folders in your G:/Music Library/ folder, you might want to use the --sync-subcrates command instead. This will do them all at once and not have to list each one individually. But only do this if you want every folder in your Music Library folder to be crates/subcrates in Scratch Live.

Also might want to check out this other crate sync program as well, which basically does the sync subcrates command as well, but somewhat easier than ScratchTools.

serato.com

Video in action... Watchwww.youtube.com
4:57 PM, 24 Oct 2011
Discussion moved to DJing Discussion
mud_mouthed 9:03 PM - 9 November, 2011
Thanks for your help knonix!
nik39 10:18 AM - 10 November, 2011
Thanks Konix :)
Dj TopDonn 2:49 PM - 23 November, 2011
Hi Konix. I have slightly different question. I already have my library organized manually without any of the tools (Scratch Tools or Sync-Itch). I'm now looking to implement some sort of Sync Action where if I add a specific song to folder its get updated to a specific crate. Would I have to start from scratch and have Sync Tools do my crates over, or can i go ahead and use something similar to what was discussed above.
Dj TopDonn 9:02 PM - 5 December, 2011
Hey Folks. Still did not get an answer to my question, maybe I was not clear enough. Here is an example. I have Music in Folder X that I update regularly. I have a Crate called Pop with a sub crate called Current Dance. I would like to Sync Folder X with the Sub Crate Current Dance. Is that possible. So far each time I run the --sync-subcrates command it creates a brand new sub crate instead.
Konix 1:14 AM - 6 December, 2011
Yes, you can do this with ScratchTools.
Dj TopDonn 5:39 AM - 6 December, 2011
Thanks for the reply. So here is the command that I run.

java -jar -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m ScratchTools.jar "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/TopDonn/Music" --sync-subcrates "Current Dance;Users/TopDonn/Videos/Temp/MP4's"

This ideally should sync my Sub Crate Current Dance with new items I added to my folder MP4's. However the result is that a new crate called Current Dance is created. What i am missing here?
Konix 5:45 AM - 6 December, 2011
Since it's a single subcrate you want to sync to just one folder, you want to use the normal --sync command and not --sync-subcrates, also, you have to know that subcrates are named (in your _Serato_/Subcrates folder) parent crate%%subcrate. So your code should be this...

Quote:
java -jar -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m ScratchTools.jar "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/TopDonn/Music" --sync "Pop%%Current Dance;Users/TopDonn/Videos/Temp/MP4's"
Dj TopDonn 5:51 AM - 6 December, 2011
Awesome thanks will give it go.
Dj TopDonn 6:15 AM - 21 December, 2011
So I was able to get it to work, however, whenever I sync all my crates have duplicate files in them, is there is an option in the command line that I need to includes to avoid having the dupes? I'm running this command line

java -jar -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m ScratchTools.jar "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/TopDonn/Music" --sync "Users/TopDonn/Videos/Temp/SyncToCrates.txt"

Thanks
nik39 7:12 PM - 29 February, 2012
Something in OSX and SL has changed along the way, so the recommendation is to use:

Quote:
java -jar -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m ScratchTools.jar "/Users/TopDonn/Music" --sync "Users/TopDonn/Videos/Temp/SyncToCrates.txt"
Dj TopDonn 9:05 PM - 29 February, 2012
Cool I will try this out. Thanks for responding.
VideoDJQ 12:11 AM - 22 August, 2012
Konix,

I'm hoping you can help. I manually created my crates and subcrates to mirror my external drive long ago before knowing about ScratchTools. I download and sort my files often on my external drive, but updating my crates can be a tedious pain in the ass. What I would like to do is just have ScratchTools do that for me from now on without starting over from the beginning. I also tend to sort my files (in SSL) by date added quite often to highlight my most recently added files. If I start from the beginning with ScratchTools I think all of my files would then have the same date under the "date added" column and I'd really like to avoid that if possible! As I said, I've already manually done the work anyway, so I just want to update all my crates and subcrates now and continue to update every week or so.

If I was to start from the beginning with ScratchTools, I believe this would be the correct scrip to use:

cd /Applications/ScratchTools
java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m ScratchTools.jar "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Mikey/Music" --sync-subcrates "Q Crates;/Volumes/VideoDJQ/Video Remixes"

Which should mirror my external drive named "VideoDJQ" where all of my folders and subfolders reside in a parent directory named "VideoDJQ Remixes". Also if the above script is correct this would keep in tact my SSL crate and subcrate system where as I have a parent crate named "Q Crates" where all of my crates and subcrates reside.

I'm afraid to just run the above script without asking for advice first, mostly out of fear that all of the "date added" dates will be replaced with the date I run the script. Please advise me on how I should proceed!

Also 2 other questions;
1) Do I have to keep the script as it is above with ScratchLive being in my "Music" folder or can I actually move ScratchLive to my "Applications" folder and re-write the script to:
cd /Applications/ScratchTools
java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m ScratchTools.jar "/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Applications" --sync-subcrates "Q Crates;/Volumes/VideoDJQ/Video Remixes"
2) When I manually created my crates and subcrates I did so in Alphabetical order. Will I need to do anything to maintain that order when I initially run the script or each time I run it after that?

Thanks for any and all your help!
VideoDJQ 4:06 PM - 28 August, 2012
so can anyone else help then?
nik39 6:35 PM - 28 August, 2012
Hey DJQ,

sorry for the delay, but lately I have less and less spare time which I can spend on doing ScratchTools related stuff. :(

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. As long as you don't wipe your library, ST will not change any added-time-stamps of tracks which have been in the library before. But always remember: Backup your stuff!

2. I am not sure what you mean with moving the script or your SL application. ST does not care about the SL installation, it only cares about the library database location.

3. No, you don't have to change the order, nor will ST change the order by default. However you can of course instruct ST to sort your crate order.

Does this answer your questions?
VideoDJQ 2:59 PM - 5 September, 2012
Nik so after I run the above script I get this in terminal...

Setting library path to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Mikey/Music
checking for library path on '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Mikey/Music'
found library on '/Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Mikey/Music/_Serato_'
free memory: 512503
allocated memory: 517760
max memory: 517760
total free memory: 512503
Databaselocation set to /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Mikey/Music/_Serato_/database V2
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at ssl_crates.q.G(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.M.D(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.M.B(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.L.C(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.L.G(Unknown Source)
new-host-4:ScratchTools Mikey$

...and nothing changes. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
nik39 5:47 PM - 5 September, 2012
Do you already have crates here: /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Mikey/Music/_Serato_ ?
VideoDJQ 5:58 PM - 5 September, 2012
No it doesn't appear so..
[IMG]i46.tinypic.com[/IMG]
VideoDJQ 6:20 PM - 5 September, 2012
I just tried deleting the folder shown named "Subcrates" and ran the script again but no difference.
Konix 6:35 PM - 5 September, 2012
You need to have at least one crate first in Scratch Live, so just make one and put a(ny) song it in. Close Scratch Live, then try running the script again.
VideoDJQ 6:51 PM - 5 September, 2012
Konix, please see my original note above, I already have all my crates created in scratch live but using an external drive which is why there are no crates in /Volumes/Macintosh HD/Users/Mikey/Music/_Serato_

All my crates are on my external drive. I am only trying to use this script to update all of those crates each time I sort new tracks into the corresponding folder

[IMG]i49.tinypic.com[/IMG]
nik39 9:53 PM - 5 September, 2012
As Konix said, you need to have at least one crate on the drive where you are running ScratchTools on.

BTW.. Hello Konix - glad to see you alive :)
nik39 9:55 PM - 5 September, 2012
Ooops. just saw your screenshot. Well then your initial ST command is wrong, that's the correct one:

java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m ScratchTools.jar "/Volumes/VideoDJQ" --sync-subcrates "Q Crates;/Volumes/VideoDJQ/Video Remixes"
Roberto Dj RC 6:28 PM - 11 September, 2015
Hello!

I'm trying to install Scratchtools in my laptop but I can't. I tried to do everything, but I don't know what's wrong..

1) My operating System is Windows 8.1, 64 Bit. Intel Core i7 2.20GHz, 8GB RAM.

2) The version of ScratchTools I'm using is 0.0.9.0.

3) I type the following:

C:\Program Files (x86)\ScratchTools>java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m ScratchTools.jar "C:/" --full-sync --sync-subcrates "FLAIX;/Usuarios/RobertoC/Escritorio/Flaix FM"

The error message or output that I get is the following:

Enabling full-sync mode.
Setting library path to C:/
Loaded Test from:C:\Program Files (x86)\ScratchTools\ScratchTools.jar
C:\Program%20Files%20(x86)\ScratchTools\ScratchTools.jar\lib\WinFolder
sJava.dll
C:\Program Files (x86)\ScratchTools\lib\WinFoldersJava.dll
checking for library path on 'C:\Program Files (x86)\ScratchTools'
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
at ssl_crates.L.A(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.L.F(Unknown Source)
at ssl_crates.L.<init>(Unknown Source)

Please, could anyone help me to run Scratchtools with my Windows 8.1 and my Serato Scratch Live 2.5.0??

Thank's in advance!!
nik39 1:56 AM - 12 September, 2015
Java -jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m ScratchTools.jar "C:/" --full-sync --sync-subcrates

I assume your database is somewhere like

"c:... Users.. Username...documents... Music "

This is the path which you have to supply as the first argument.
djdesijay 3:59 AM - 1 September, 2017
hi..does this scratch tools still exist..the website forum.scratchtools.de is def down
nik39 11:03 AM - 1 September, 2017
Yeah, what do you need?
djdesijay 4:05 AM - 19 September, 2017
is there any link or can u send me by email the installer and the command lines?
Dj TopDonn 9:53 PM - 17 November, 2017
@nik39 Any link to new binary that we can download to run this tool. The link I had stopped working.
Dj TopDonn 9:14 PM - 1 February, 2018
Anyone?