DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Radio Broadcasting & Software

LOQUITO 3:43 AM - 20 October, 2011
Can anyone give me some pointers regarding software for Radio Broadcasting. I have very little experience and I have been getting small budget gear. so far:

USB Tascam Mixer
A mic
Monitor Speakers
I also have Ableton Live
A mac and a Dell Laptop
A USB to RCA audio interface

My bud has the online website up and running already. I just have to figure out what to use to broadcast from my basement.
DJ Trixsta 8:01 AM - 20 October, 2011
are we talking Internet Broadcasting or actual FM Broadcasting?
toasted 9:51 AM - 20 October, 2011
i just use 1 pc for the mixing with itch and then use a lead to my other pc soundcard and run simplecast on that to encode it 128kbs and stream it to the server
its pretty easy to setup
DJ Trixsta 9:58 AM - 20 October, 2011
The way that i used to it is pretty simply so you can probs use the same format..

Use your PC/Mac to use Serato etc. Run an Aux lead from your "Tape" or "Record" output on your mixer to the input of your other PC.

Use Virtual DJ's broadcast feature (only thing i use vdj for) to broadcast the mix to the internet. you will need. Server Address, Port, Passwords etc.
LOQUITO 3:23 PM - 20 October, 2011
Yes i have a bud who does online radio broadcasting and he wants to give me a spot on weekends. I am going to record my mixes during the week and just worry about taking requests and the broadcasting part during the show. so i would rather not use serato or virtual. but i might end up just doing live sessions instead.

any recommendations on software ???
Dj Nyce 9:27 PM - 22 October, 2011
for online broadcasting you are going to either use shoutcast/icecast, windows media or live365. shoutcast/icecast is the most common and you use client software to connect to the online radio's server. the client software can either stream an audio file or your computers mic/line in.

the shoutcast tools are free and only support shoutcast/icecast. The best one (not free) is SAM Cast. SAM Cast supports all streaming types.

Shoutcast
www.shoutcast.com

SAM Cast
spacial.com
LOQUITO 5:39 PM - 23 October, 2011
Great info guys. Thanks .