Serato DJ Lite / Intro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Lite / Intro software and controllers.

This Program gives djing back to the DJ.

DJAudio 4:50 AM - 15 October, 2011
Product: dj-intro
Version: 1.0.1
Hardware: numark-mixdeck
Computer: pc
OS Version: win732
---

I would like to say thanks to the Serato team for coming out with a kick ass djing program that is free. I own Serato , VDJ , Torq , and Traktor and the one thing they all have in common is over the pass years becoming overkill programs making non-djs , damn djs this programs just what I think a real dj want without the overkill of all the BS like automix 4 + decks 20 sampler/loops playing music over a network I could go on in on but you get it. Older djs like me will love a program that all you need to know is how to mix. You know putting to songs together (beat mixing with you ears) not automix. You don't real need to know anything about computers with this program (that works for me) So for me this is a kick ass program. Thanks again
nrosselot 2:27 PM - 16 October, 2011
I am with you.

THANX!!!
Serato, Support
Martin C 11:31 PM - 16 October, 2011
Thanks to the both of you for showing support to the new software! Its great to read good feedback :D
traywigs 3:49 PM - 29 October, 2011
Yes I must say that this Program very cool. I love that it is plug and play with no hassles. works wonderfully with my MixDeck. To the Serato people keep doing your thing. Thank You
Serato, Support
Martin C 8:52 PM - 29 October, 2011
Thanks traywigs, awesome to hear you are enjoying using your MixDeck :)
DJ_Instigator 11:59 PM - 29 October, 2011
With some minor tweaks, it could be the MixDeck software of choice...it DEFINITELY makes this deck perform to the best of it's ability...just bummed about auto-loop and jog wheel LED's.... :)
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:59 PM - 30 October, 2011
Indeed, getting customer feedback and ideas is always a positive thing, I am hopeful that those issues will be addressed in the future.
DJ_Instigator 10:18 PM - 30 October, 2011
Thanks Martin...worked a few nights already with the DJ Intro Software, and my Mixdeck performs as good as the NS7 live...never was as easy with the software it came with...
djsmuve415 10:19 PM - 30 October, 2011
yeah, I finally picked up a Mixtrack Pro last week (a floor model on top of that - they seem to be sold out everywhere.. guess Numark must be doing something right) and had a chance to test it with both VDJ 7 pro & Intro ----- & after much reluctance cuz I'm still annoyed with the lack of an Auto-Loop feature & stuck with a pitch bend range of +8 - Intro came out the winner. VDJ seems unstable & gimmicky - & Intro was rock solid. so hats off to u guys.
I know theres a Numark guy rolling around in these forums somewhere - so my question is, is Auto-Loop something that can & might be happening in an update in the near future - specially with so many people requesting it? I don't think it was understood what an invaluable tool that is for must DJ's for it to be left out.. I get the tag line (& I'm quoting a moderator here) 'limited feature introductory software application' -- but if VDJ can stick it on there crappy program, I don't see why this can't happen - ---- & here's hoping it does.
Serato, Support
Martin C 10:35 PM - 30 October, 2011
Numark produce some excellent controllers no doubt! I do agree on the auto-loop front too, I couldn't say myself with any certainty, if it will be ever be included though.
DJ Ramo 7:27 AM - 31 October, 2011
I would like to thank the Serato team for creating such an amazing product! I would also like to announce that Serato saved me $2,300! NO Joke!

I've had my MixDeck for about 6 months and it works really well... BUT... I always had issues with Latency issues (trust me, I tried everything under the sun to correct it). I was considering upgrading the the NS6 (which I probably still will lol) and a MacBook Pro, but once Serato Intro came out, all of my latency issues are gone! Excellent software, really takes advantage of the MixDeck controller and now I'm completely happy. Already logged in about 20 hours of gig time and no issues!

Thank you Serato for the great work. I always wanted Serato since getting in the DJ game and now you guys made it possible with my Controller.
Serato, Support
Martin C 9:20 PM - 31 October, 2011
That is great to hear DJ Ramo! There is a lot of love in here, perhaps I will move this into Serato DJ Intro Discussion so other users out there can cop some of these positive vibes :D
9:20 PM, 31 Oct 2011
Discussion moved to Serato DJ Intro General Discussion
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:02 PM - 31 October, 2011
Quote:
I really takes advantage of the MixDeck controller .

Can you explain that, seems youve lost half it functions with this freeware.........
Lawrence 5:17 AM - 1 November, 2011
I have been using Intro with mixtrack pro at home for about a week and its great although auto loop and the track playing lock features would be nice.
DJFreshPC 3:42 PM - 1 November, 2011
Software is great...much better than Traktor 2. It's just missing a few minor features otherwise it would be perfect. I would be willing to pay $50 if autoloop and a few functions were added!
DJAudio 9:31 PM - 1 November, 2011
I see a lot of people are asking for added features when we all should be kissing the Serato Team ass for a FREE PROGRAM that has made are mixdecks better. The MIXDECK SOUNDS BETTER AND WORKS BETTER. I know people that want to sell there N7 in get the mixdeck now just because of Serato and the fact that you can play CDs and still get that CD like feel off the software. I say add nothing...Sorry you all I don't think we have the right to ask for anything for free. And beside I like them to keep this a overkill free program. If anything add more controllers and put some people out of business.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:28 PM - 1 November, 2011
I just wanna how y'all think it works better?? Everybody keep saying that but no one is giving any difinitive answers............
Serato, Forum Moderator
Mathew C 11:51 PM - 1 November, 2011
Hi DJFreshPC,

which hardware are you referring to? The Vestax controllers (Typhoon & VCI-100) have autoloop functions with DJ Intro :-)

Mathew
djsmuve415 1:56 AM - 3 November, 2011
Quote:
I see a lot of people are asking for added features when we all should be kissing the Serato Team ass for a FREE PROGRAM.

I knew somebody at some point was gonna raise this annoying, obvious point.. look - there's nobody more appreciative of this freeware than me at the moment, its gonna save my ass tomorrow night for the private party I gotta do, in which I don't need to lug a ton of gear to it now.
But --- here's my deal, u can't keep playing the "Free program" card all the time, I mean if thats the case - why bother putting FX into the program or Samples - which to me are luxuries & a bonus. and if they hadn't have put them, u know what? u would've had a bunch of peeps going 'would've been nice with some FX'! saddest part to me is - auto-loop IS on 2 other controllers - but NOT, unfortunately on the one model that seems to be the most popular. hopefully that will get rectified in the future.
DJAudio 3:54 AM - 3 November, 2011
I guess this is one of those times you ask yourself do I say thank you and keep it moving or do I say thank you and ask for more . Just 3 weeks ago I knew nothing about this program and my mixdeck was collecting dust in the corner. If not for the good people at serato my mixdeck would be just another thing I bought but now it's really something that I enjoy. Can we agree that this program did not have to be made or be free. I also own serato live and would be real mad to see them spin countless hours on updates for this free program and not for live that I payed $500 plus dollars for. If for some reason they would like to update this program then good if not I'm happy just to have serato working with my mixdeck without the soundcard (plug and play) is the way to go. Traktor dj and the mixdeck works OK and sounds great but the software itself sucks in is a overkill program. Virtual dj and the mixdeck is OK once you get the thing mapped the way you want it but like.traktor its a overkill program too. The sound is not that good with virtual dj but let me say this I did not know just how bad it was until I played with serato intro. For me the sound is like night and day serato wins. For the real feel of playing with CDs serato wins again. I don't care about looping , automix , autoloop ,FX. Sound and the real CD feel is what I want.
Souls Liberation 10:35 AM - 3 November, 2011
I haven't had a chance to explore DJ Intro (plus Itch 2.0/2.0.1) due to the fact both will not load the crates or songs on my Mac, but i have to agree with DJ Audio that this programme gives back to the dj and keep the essence of the dj-ing skills, but in a digital way. Hear this: have a friend whom we've worked together for many years, done may gigs for massive audience at many festivals and so on. When we met, he was on form spinning vinyl (i had moved to cd's) and could communicate with his crowd. He began producing and is now well known in his field (and a great producer i must say) but since getting into the digital dj-ing... he has lost the plot and the art of dj-ing for an audience at which i had to be honest and point it out to him on few occassions. He prepares playlisys from home and i don't care what anyone says but as a DJ... it's not wise to 100% make a play list. Challenge yourself also by playing for the audience and not yourself and keeping your head down 90% of your set. This is one reason in my opinion it it wise to play for a crowd who respect your style and build yourself on that. Some dj's get carried away by the digital era and have become lazy in the art form thus this piece of software could end up being the choice for real dj's who still value the real techniques of the art. As i play an eclectic musical style and my real crowd ranges between 25 - 80 years of age (no joke) i am choosy of the places i play and have turned down gigs because it's not my type of setting or... some of the dj's playing has got so lazy and chat alot of rubbish about this and that and has forgotten what dj-ing is about. The digital era is excellent and just like anything, it carries pros and cons. This is where you're in control. Just did a Chillout Mix session for myself and a dance mix for a judo instructor on my VCI-300 w Itch 1.7.1 and came away smiling like hell after completing both and re-listened my work. This is what dj-ing is about. We need to bring it back and keep the essence. So i support DJ Audio's comment and much respect to Serato for making very excellent softwares which allows people options. On top of that, i also would say a massive respect to Vestax and i hope that they and Serato will still be working together for years to come as i wouldn't mind to also know if Itch will be able to be mapped with the VCI-400 or will/would they make a Itch directly for VCI-400? Anyway Serato... big up, nuff respect, tek it easy and keep on keeping on. Irie.
DJ_Instigator 12:15 PM - 7 November, 2011
Quote:
I just wanna how y'all think it works better?? Everybody keep saying that but no one is giving any difinitive answers............

The best way to describe it working better is the latency, and layered waveforms. I loved traktor, as MOST things worked with it...but the latency was horrible, as was VDJ. Could never get a proper scratch out of either...not that I'm a huge scratch DJ, but it is nice to be able to throw a few in before you drop a beat. I could never do that with either of the other programs. The other programs make you "rely" on that stupid sync button.
How easy is it to beatmatch with the waveforms being side by side or on top of each other? MUCH EASIER...sometimes you don't even need headphones. The visual cues are just easier to read with DJ Intro. My "bleep/reverse" switch actually works...could never get that mapped right in any other program...Never have to bother with "sync" using Serato.

I do miss the LEDs on the Jog wheels though :(
djsmuve415 7:06 PM - 7 November, 2011
word of caution for any seasoned veterans who like a lot of control of their mixing, but might take the easy route out like I did & try to use Intro with a Mixtrack Pro at house parties or a private function, where bringing a ton of gear would be overkill - DON'T DO IT!
I got to finally use this combo last thursday night at a private party and it was a disaster!
Intro solid for 6 hours & didn't crash = Check!
See's all my crates from SSL & keeps them in the same order for ease (unlike VDJ) = Check!
Don't trust Sync or like using it and want to manually pitch shift & be able to ride it during a mix to keep unsteady BPM's on some of these tracks in line = FAIL! The guys at Numark & Serato stuck it at +8 really??? U guys must've not used vinyl very much.
Don't even get me started on the lack of Auto-Loop... = FAIL!
Tried to use the Low Pass Filter to help smooth out a couple of quick mixes (because I don't have Auto-Loop) & the default Resonance setting was jarring peoples eardrums.. Understand its a major bonus on a free software - but if u can't set the resonance becomes pretty pointless.
Headphone volume for someone 16+ years in the biz & getting deaf = FAIL!
All in all I understand if I had ponied up let's say another $300 & had gotten a VCI-300 & Itch I would've gotten some of the features missing & maybe had not sounded like I was drunk all night (which I eventually did so it was fitting). learn from my mistake Vets (& maybe some noobs) don't take the cheap way out. the pairing is a nightmare. but hey - at least it didn't crash on me. =)
DJ_Instigator 7:13 PM - 7 November, 2011
Sorry DJsmuve...that's a MixTrack limitation...not Intro's fault. Also, my headphone volume on my MixDeck is CRAZY loud...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:36 PM - 7 November, 2011
It's not a Mixtrack limitation!! They can program it to be anything they want, just like they did with the Mixdeck....... As far as latency goes I can promise you that mine using VDJ will blow this out the water! I saw your post but since you don't have a registered copy of VDJ (atleast you haven't registered it yet) you can't download the Registery Tool...... As far as having to "rely on the sync" gimme a break. No one is forcing you to use it, hell with VDJ you can create a skin that doesn't have it or just remove it from the mapping, the same with Traktor, just don't map it........ As for the bleep/reverse that's just your lack of mapping skills/know how.
Now for the other guy, this program isn't meant to be used in a professional environment . What were thinking? I've seen a ton of people say that here, even Serato has stated this is for the "beginner"......... You brought that all on yourself.
Don't get me wrong this is a great little starter program for kids who wanna say there cool cause they use Serato but let's not start making up things to make it seem like something it isn't......... That's all I'm sayin.
DJ_Instigator 7:59 PM - 7 November, 2011
SI...I'd like to see a video of you using VDJ to scratch on the mixdeck...or Traktor...I GUARANTEE I can be just as "professional" on Intro as I could on either of those programs...in fact I'm positive I sound BETTER.

And you're right...I don't care to rewrite the mapping. it should just work out of the box. I'm not a programmer, I'm a DJ.
DJ_Instigator 8:00 PM - 7 November, 2011
And no I haven't registered yet, as the minute I do, I own it...and it's more than likely going back.
djsmuve415 8:19 PM - 7 November, 2011
Quote:

Now for the other guy, this program isn't meant to be used in a professional environment . What were thinking? I've seen a ton of people say that here, even Serato has stated this is for the "beginner"......... You brought that all on yourself..

First off.. "this program isn't meant to be used in a professional environment".. Really? No shit! True - I got paid for this fiasco, so that does fall into the 'Professional' category.. I would never use this pairing at my spot on the weekend - or a VCI-300 for that matter. It's 2 decks and SSL all day long for me to do what I do at my own comfortable level.
But get this ---- there are (& I know of a couple myself) respected DJ's who do some private functions or an occasional wedding or 2 for friends, who might be tempted to pick up one of these (specially with all the hype surrounding this pairing lately) and use it & try to get by or --- think they can make it work without sounding like a rookie... A lot people I know right now are hurtin' money wise & can't justify plunkin' down $600 (on Ebay) for a VCI-300 to do some sporadic gigs here & there for which they may or may not even get paid for. so my experience was a just warning (and an opinion) for those who may not understand the limitations of Intro & the MTPro. Thats all.
And last note - VDJ does bring it's Pitch shift on the MTPro down to +6 - & it's auto-loop is clean as hell and functions. Probably would've used it & to be honest - would've sounded a bit more polished with that Fisher Price lookin' $250 toy. But when I messed it with it for hours there was too much jerkiness in the Midi data & a couple of other annoyances. But I may go back & give it another try, cause unless they do an update for Intro for the MTPro, the only 3 options your left with are - make VDJ work.. Buy a VCI-300 for more control with Itch, or lug tons of gear.. frankly - shitty options if u ask me.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:23 PM - 7 November, 2011
Here's the fix for VDJ and if you really need it I can do the same for Traktor, Watchwww.youtube.com
Don't take it personal but it's pretty lame that people are always quick to down another program when it's really that they don't even know how to use the program. Granted your a DJ but with anything you usually have to tweak a few things here and there. And yes even with this program you had to lower the latency in the settings...... this you can't deny. If you don't wanna use something cause your embarrassed of what someone else would then so be but don't go bashing things cause you haven't taken the to research.
djsmuve415 8:38 PM - 7 November, 2011
Embarrassed? Bashing VDJ?
WTF - do u work for Atomix or something? I didn't even say anything close to that. I'm not bashing VDJ. I'll use whatever the hell works and gets the job done. Am I loyal to Serato? Only because SSl has been solid for me over the years & so was Intro the minute I DL'ed. But they don't give me an endorsement fee or send me some damn white vinyl.. so u gotta do what u gotta do.. I even said I would go back and try VDJ again & spend the time to 'tweak' it (& no I'm not lazy, and feel that I'm fairly computer literate) - so how is that bashing it? just like Intro it has it's LIMITATIONS. so it just comes down to which one or ones can u live without.. or don't use both at all. just an opinion & an observation.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:43 PM - 7 November, 2011
Bro it wasn't aimed at you, maybe should have been more specific. No I don't work for them, lmao!!
djsmuve415 8:47 PM - 7 November, 2011
alright... then I'll man up & apologize. =)
DJ_Instigator 9:47 PM - 7 November, 2011
I didn't bash either of those progs...for me, they weren't anywhere as good, and no, I installed, plugged in my mixdeck, and DJIntro worked fine from there...it's also easier to "read" the waveforms than the other 2 although Traktor Pro2 has come a long way...
DJ_Instigator 10:53 PM - 7 November, 2011
Quote:
Here's the fix for VDJ and if you really need it I can do the same for Traktor, Watchwww.youtube.com
Don't take it personal but it's pretty lame that people are always quick to down another program when it's really that they don't even know how to use the program. Granted your a DJ but with anything you usually have to tweak a few things here and there. And yes even with this program you had to lower the latency in the settings...... this you can't deny. If you don't wanna use something cause your embarrassed of what someone else would then so be but don't go bashing things cause you haven't taken the to research.

Dude, you have a Rayne box...that totally doesn't count! Take the Mixdeck out of the box...run VDJ, Traktor and DJ Intro through them, then tell me which one performs better...I'm not trying to argue here, but compare apples to apples...if I had the hardware I'd just run SL and be done with it...???
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:33 PM - 7 November, 2011
Hahaa, that's an an Audio8 and its still better then Intro. If you look back at some of my first post the first thing I griped about was the platter response when using Intro. With VDJ like I showed in that video I can adjust how fast or how slow I want the platters to turn, with Traktor you can adjust it but only by percents with Intro it's whatever Serato decides is good which to me it's not tight........ It's all in the settings and with Intro there's no settings to adjust so tell how you think yours is tighter then mine?? (that sounds gay as hell, lmfao).
Look I never said it was a bad program, in fact I wrote out what does what when using the Mixdeck with Intro, what bugs me is how you keep saying this is better then that when you clearly haven't done your homework. Now I agree 100% with you guys about just plugging it in and it works, all programs should be like that. None of this routing sound and choosing what soundcard to use, that's where this kicks everybodies ass. But as far as the other stuff like it being so simple on screen that bogus cause with either of the other programs you can change how the skin looks with whatever you to see or don't. These effects do sound better the VDJ but Traktor has this beat. As far as actual output volume this program is too low. I have to crank up the gains and the master to hear anything, the sound is clean though don't get me wrong there. I'm not some dumbass kid who's here just talkin crap. Like the other kat said we use what works for us, it's just that simple. What works for you might not work for me........ If your ever in Iowa look me up and I'll be glad to show you my setups.

www.waxmuseumrecords.com
DJ_Instigator 11:40 PM - 7 November, 2011
ok I got your point...I still don't like using either of the other 2...LOL!
DJAudio 11:52 PM - 7 November, 2011
Okay people I started this all so I think I should finish it. Let me start off by saying I don't work for any of these companys. I love the fact that Serato made a FREE program that works with the mixdeck. In it works the way I think it should work. Out the box. do I like everything about the program NO. But I feel the same way about Serato live too. And yes I own virtual dj to since 2003 Do I like everything about it NO , does it need some work yes but I also own tractor dj in feel the same way about it. All these programs have good things about them (MY MONEY THAT I PAID THEM) but you need to ask yourself what works for you. Back to the point of all this for a FREE program you must say it's damn good. Remember I'm a dj that just happens to use a computer not a computer programmer that happens to want to be a dJ. I'm 41 years old still in the game still playing my record still playing my cds and yes playing my mp3 I'll be here for a long time. Software comes and goes only time will tell who will be left standing. Only 1 company can claim victory in the DJ world and that's Technic with the number 1 turntable since 1970. Do you like pioneer cd players or do you like denon cd players it's all about what you like not me or anyone can tell you that. By the way I like denon cd players....:)
Souls Liberation 7:17 PM - 8 November, 2011
Sorry DJ Audio... can't give you the last word as i have to say... WORD WORD WORD is bond. Solid as a rock bro. It seems like these software companies should hold a boxing tournament for these guys to slug it out man :-). At the end of the day... it's what works best for you. I've had a few software installed on my Windows & Mac and the only three that is lef ton them now are Serato Itch, Scratch Live (i really don't use much) and Virtual DJ (i don't use much either) Serato Itch for me is my main choice of digital dj-ing software and has been put to the ultimate test and it's the only one who stood up without a fault. 13 hours of nonstop dj-ing full on... 13 HOURS PEOPLE. also i personally don't like moving crossfaders and turning knobs and seeing that on the screen also and this is another reason why the Itch software comes out the winner for me. Not to mention the smooth integration i get between Itch and the VCI-300. Haven't tested the Itch V2.0/2.0.1 and DJ Intro as yet cause for some reason they won't load the crates and songs on my Mac but on my Windows... they work fine people. The truth be said... as long as my Itch 1.7.1 and VCI-300 communicates in harmony... i'm good as gold. And let it be known... just like you DJ Audio... MY HARD EARNED POUNDS ARE SPENT WITH SERATO & VESTAX... and i smile as it's cash well spent... and i've made it back :-). I personally can say that since using Icth, i knew this is going to be my software of choice no matter what comes out as i'm not fussed about all the bells and whistles. All i look forward to is getting the VCI-400 and hope it works with Itch or they make a direct Itch for the VCI-400... AND I'M SET FOR LIFE IN THE DIGITAL DJ-ING ARENA. I do enough wonders with the VCI-300 with the VFX-1 combo so look forward to the new unit with Serato Itch. As you said... as i said... as some other people said... it's what works for you at the end of the day. I'm a Pioneer user/fan but was never inreterested in a DDJ-S1... Vestax gave me exactly what i needed and it comes the my fave software company of choice. The DJ Intro is a wise move on Serato's part and it will/may bring more noobs into the dj-ing arena but most of all... it makes the less priviledge gets a chance to try out something they might be longing to do and couldn't afford to. Think bout that peeps.So at the end of the day... respect to all who contribute to this art form (cause it is art in it's own rights) and lets keep the vibes alive and chill and listen to Levitation 'More Than Ever People' or jump up to Mr. Benn & Souls Liberation 'The Jump' (The Numbers Version). Blessings and nuff respect. Will i get the last word in? :-). Big up Audio. Real Talk.
DJAudio 7:32 PM - 8 November, 2011
Lol...... thanks bro......:)
DJ Ramo 6:31 AM - 19 November, 2011
Quote:
Sorry DJsmuve...that's a MixTrack limitation...not Intro's fault. Also, my headphone volume on my MixDeck is CRAZY loud...

I have to agree with DJ Instigator... DJsmuve.. your first mistake is trying to perform a full "professional gig" with a Mixtrack Pro. That's asking for a fail. Don't like the sync lock? Then don't use it.

The Serato team did an amazing job.
djsmuve415 7:16 PM - 19 November, 2011
where the hell are you coming out of the left field bleachers from on this topic bro?!?! go back and re-read the post I wrote above it - make sure u specifically read where I wrote hats off to Serato for making a solid piece of software, albeit missing a couple of key things. and Sync lock??? I never use - or mention it. so get ur fucking facts straight.