Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video Projection/Projection Mapping

SeriousCyrus 10:37 AM - 8 October, 2011
I've been interested in this for a while and recently got my hands on a projector, but I'm having a hard time finding information online, has anyone here used it, or know people that do?

Basically it's using projectors to beam textures, videos onto surfaces to create, well, just really cool visuals.

I got myself this free software called Video Projection Tools

hcgilje.wordpress.com

It's pretty clunky but I got it working, and after a couple of hours, got myself beaming the demo vids onto some boxes

Watchwww.youtube.com

Now I'm looking for software to create the textures and videos, but don't really know where to start, perhaps the video DJs here might have some pointers. If you make your own videos, I'm interested in hearing what software you use and any online resources you go to.

OSx preferably, but pointing me in the right direction is good too.
DJBIGWIZ 10:09 PM - 8 October, 2011
I use FCP, Motion, AE, C4D, Quartz Composer and a few other things for video.

I have been looking into projection mapping as well.
Not sure if there are better tools to create content for this or not.
phatbob 12:27 AM - 9 October, 2011
MadMapper is what you need, I believe.
DJBIGWIZ 2:25 AM - 9 October, 2011
Quote:
MadMapper is what you need, I believe.

but MM is not a tool for making visuals is it?
I thought it was just a tool for mapping your visuals.
phatbob 8:22 AM - 9 October, 2011
Sorry, the mapping aspect is the more unusual part of your question, thought that was what you were after.

I use After Effects. Would like to eventually supplement that with a 3D program like Maya or 3DS Max.
SeriousCyrus 12:13 PM - 9 October, 2011
Quote:
I use FCP, Motion, AE, C4D, Quartz Composer and a few other things for video.

Quote:
I use After Effects. Would like to eventually supplement that with a 3D program like Maya or 3DS Max.

I think getting the Adobe stuff is a bit steep for my level, ouch! But I'd never even heard of Quartz composer before, even though I've had the development tools for years! Looks like a really cool tool. Thanks. Got something to be working on this afternoon then.
DJBIGWIZ 6:47 PM - 9 October, 2011
Quote:

I think getting the Adobe stuff is a bit steep for my level, ouch! But I'd never even heard of Quartz composer before, even though I've had the development tools for years! Looks like a really cool tool. Thanks. Got something to be working on this afternoon then.

No problem man. QC is really cool once you start to realize what all it can do. I'm still coming up with new ideas for it... The possibilities are pretty much only limited to your own creativity.(and skill level or free time)
VSL and ME both play quarts compositions. ME can use Syphon and when VSL can, it's gonna be a great thing.
I don't know any other cheap programs for making visuals. I'm looking around for something that may be more suited for projection mapping. If I find something, I'll let you know but I think for now at least AE and some sort of 3d program combo is the best I can think of. motion is good but if you are doing long compositions, AE is gonna be better.
Blender is a free 3d program you can check out.
SeriousCyrus 6:16 PM - 10 October, 2011
Been looking more into Quartz Composer, seriously awesome tool, and it looks like I can do everything I want for now without even using VPT. I was trying to figure out how use syphon to bridge between the 2, wasn't having much luck, but started thinking there was no reason why Quartz couldn't do a lot of what VPT was doing, and found this.

Watchvimeo.com

Dunno about the wiimote, bit of a gimmick, but I reckon I could get the basics of the rest. Guess I got a project to be working on.

I used to be a bit interested in 3d stuff when I was younger, taught myself POVray and various other tools, I was even in the first beta program for rhino. Was never brilliant, but it kept me amused. The experience with CAD kinda led me to my current job, but haven't looked into making my own stuff in near 20 years.

Would love to learn AE at some point, but think I need a clearer idea of what I want to do, one step at a time.... cheers
phatbob 12:52 AM - 11 October, 2011
The Creative Cow After Effects podcast is a total tutorial goldmine if you do want to go down that route...
SeriousCyrus 7:22 PM - 16 October, 2011
Got Quartz Composer doing it with the quad warping from memo.tv

youtu.be

Got a cheapo tripod for the projector and painted a couple of cardboard boxes white to map too, really liking the effect so far. Now I got to see how I can start to animate it a bit more.
SeriousCyrus 10:55 PM - 2 November, 2011
Ya'll might like this one. I wondered if I could map the SSL interface to the decks in a meaningful way, think I got a good start.

Watchwww.youtube.com

Don't like talking on camera, so i'm a bit mixed up, also, excuse the mess.
fcprod1 11:05 PM - 2 November, 2011
ahaha thats cool
phatbob 12:55 AM - 3 November, 2011
That's immense dude...
FunkyRob 5:06 PM - 3 November, 2011
Whoah Cyrus, that's serious.

I'm not going to even pretend to understand what you are doing.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 5:52 PM - 3 November, 2011
Agreed, that is badass!!
SeriousCyrus 1:16 PM - 4 November, 2011
Thanks all! It's not exactly a practical setup at the moment, more of a demo, getting the projector far enough away from the decks to project on to both of them at table top height proved impossible in my flat. Gonna look to see if a short throw projector could make it more practical.
dj Navics 10:37 PM - 4 December, 2011
Here check this out www.youtube.com
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:59 PM - 4 December, 2011
Hmm.......I can see having the time and Bpm on the platter like in the video up a few post but whats the point of having them on your platters?? Dont get me wrong its cool you can do it but why?
phatbob 11:28 PM - 4 December, 2011
Quote:
its cool

That's enough for me when we're talking visuals!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 1:22 AM - 5 December, 2011
I meant, what's the point of having the video on the platters?
phatbob 1:45 AM - 5 December, 2011
I think it's more a cool proof of concept thing... Not really a practical application!
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:53 PM - 5 December, 2011
Looks pretty cool!
DJPNUT 11:41 PM - 5 December, 2011
Quote:
Here check this out www.youtube.com

It looks dope Navics,
Are you keeping this at home, or have you set this up at some of your venues/events?
Code:E 12:23 AM - 6 December, 2011
Quote:
I don't know any other cheap programs for making visuals.

OneIdea made by the guys who make Mixedinkey... I have mady a buncg a videos with it and its cheap and easy. But its PC only. :(
SeriousCyrus 10:02 AM - 7 December, 2011
So I got a new projector, almost at the stage where I could set it up outside of my flat and in a club environment, just need to build a sturdier mount.

youtu.be

Added a new TT display mode that you can see in this video, it projects the waveform directly to the platter. Although not shown in this video because I forgot to load up ME, it's possible to switch between various platter modes with a MIDI knob, so you can have the SSl readouts, the waveform and a few other things I'm working on, video will probably come at some point too, but as I don't normally do that, it's low down on the list.

Been working on the software too, it's less of a nightmare to setup, but still far from ideal, at least I'm no longer typing in x y coords by hand.
Joshua Carl 2:04 PM - 7 December, 2011
ddddddddddddddddddddddddoooooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppeeeee
eeeeeeee!