DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

got me some digitracks...

AdamJay 10:27 PM - 26 September, 2007
Craig at GC in Indy matched DJDeals.com's low price of $124 each for the digitrack concorde kit (w/ extra stylus), so i got the pair for $248 plus tax.

i'm gonna break them in tonight and later this week and give a review in the next few weeks. i'll be comparing them against Shure M44g, as well as Ortofon DJ S / Nightclub S / Pro S.

We'll see what all the hype is about. =)
a-swift 10:34 PM - 26 September, 2007
holy shit them some expensive needles.
AdamJay 10:36 PM - 26 September, 2007
i paid way more than that for my Nightclub S pair 6 years ago.
sixxx 12:00 AM - 27 September, 2007
Quote:
i paid way more than that for my Nightclub S pair 6 years ago.

If I were you, I wouldn't announce that.
dj cubicle 12:39 AM - 27 September, 2007
For that price, do they come with automix?

Thanks, I'm new.
Swizzle 1:02 AM - 27 September, 2007
Quote:
Craig at GC in Indy matched DJDeals.com's low price of $124 each for the digitrack concorde kit (w/ extra stylus), so i got the pair for $248 plus tax.

i'm gonna break them in tonight and later this week and give a review in the next few weeks. i'll be comparing them against Shure M44g, as well as Ortofon DJ S / Nightclub S / Pro S.

We'll see what all the hype is about. =)

Throw them DJtracks away.

I bet you'll be replacing the Stylus in 2 weeks with some PRO S

They are Coached at GC to tell you if you use Serato and don't scratch, and dont like to touch or put finger prints on your Control Vinyl then by these Vinyl Friendly Digitracks :-)

You are better off Mixing in INT Mode all night
AdamJay 7:51 AM - 27 September, 2007
Swizzle... i already own a pair of Pro S, and i don't mix and match styli...

and actually they didnt know a damn thing about the digitracks at GC.

i wanted to try them out to see what the fuss is about (low record wear, tracking, etc.)... and that's exactly what i am doing.

and i DID get an extra stylus with each cart guys... $124 for a cartridge with a stylus plus one extra stylus is not a rip off... in fact if you add the price of an extra stylus ($30) to an M44-7 premounted on a headshell ($85), its not too far off.

for fucks sake,.. i was just letting you guys know that i'll be comparing them to other carts that i have access to in hopes of helping other DJs in one way or another to make their own cartridge purchasing decision in the future... but you're all too fucking bitter and pale from spending too much time on the forum to see that. You guys need to get out more. Like besides this forum and the club... go read a book under a fucking tree or something.
Charlie Five 8:14 AM - 27 September, 2007
HaHa. I'm interested in the performance of the Digi's. Please post after you give them a run.
Swizzle 12:08 PM - 27 September, 2007
Quote:

for fucks sake,.. i was just letting you guys know that i'll be comparing them to other carts that i have access to in hopes of helping other DJs in one way or another to make their own cartridge purchasing decision in the future... but you're all too fucking bitter and pale from spending too much time on the forum to see that. You guys need to get out more. Like besides this forum and the club... go read a book under a fucking tree or something.

whoa Nap town, you'z a fiesty one.
Here, have some White Castle or better yet, Steak N Shake? :-)
(Found out it was the only two places open after 11pm when i visited last)

PSA: It's a message board so maybe get used to an opinion or sixty.

Only thing I can do is give an opinion on my experience with Digitracks. You got a great deal no doubt. I bought them both at $180 a pop when i first purchased Serato. The Guys at GC swore by them. So I used them didn't like them. major reason was the weight 3grams. I preferred 4grams. And they also broke very easily. I've found the right styli for now, and Gruv Glide helps with less 'Vinyl Wear' IMO.

But we would luv to hear how they fare with you AdamJay?
shiestO! 1:08 PM - 27 September, 2007
word! report back.
cappinkirk 2:17 PM - 27 September, 2007
the red junts right?

the only things that suck about Digitrax (Indiana Jones and I both had this problem)...

One of mine broke (and one of Jonesies broke too) just under normal use & being in the cases one of the arms snapped off. Krazy glue saved the day for me.

Also one of mine got a hairline crack in it (i think i tried to pick it up while the tonearm lock was still on) and it eventually split into two parts. I krazy glued mine and it works great.

and...make sure you take off the rubber grabbers before you put them back in the cases (might be common sense but heads up)

I guess I shouldn't smoke so dank blunts.
cappinkirk 2:20 PM - 27 September, 2007
make sure you put them on correctly and you won't have any problems with the sound going bad...that applies to all Ortofon carts...

scratchlive.net
cappinkirk 2:21 PM - 27 September, 2007
i just like them because they're red and because everybody else hates them haha
DeezNotes 2:51 PM - 27 September, 2007
I did one of the first reviews on these. To me, they share similar characteristics of other Ortofon carts with their strengths directed at the application at hand. Ortofon does this well IMO. Low record wear is NOT an attribute to this cart. Neither is skip resistance. I question the fact that they handle the control signal better than other carts now that SSL reads beat up control records much better than it did before the carts were released. Go grab your oldest control records and fire up that 1.7 beta. I was amazed.
DJ Silk 5:52 PM - 27 September, 2007
I've had a OM Digitracks for a long time now and I think that they are a solid performing carts across the board. I used the 44-7's and the ort DJ's before them and the Digitracks out perform both of them.
I would recommend getting OM just because you can easily replace the headshell if something should go wrong.
AdamJay 6:37 PM - 27 September, 2007
Swizzle & Cappin'... good to see some more in depth replies.

Cappinkirk... as far as the arms snapping off, yep i've had that happen before on other ortofons, so i'm pretty delicate with mine now. i dont use the rubber grabbers, and i don't even use the case insert that Ortofon provides with their cases. i take out the bottom insert and make my own with some foam, which seems to hold the needles in the case better, plus it allows me to put both carts, and the extra styli, and a brush all in 1 case. maybe some day i'll post a pic.

and yea the tip about the click-turn when mounting them i've been using that method for years. That and a little Deoxit Gold G5 as a contact protectorant goes a long way. But honestly, since Ortofon rounded their contacts i haven't had a single contact problem with their carts.
cappinkirk 7:13 PM - 27 September, 2007
...they sound great of course, or I wouldn't use them...but for a while I did hate them (until I got the click-turn trick down).

I did a show in a small town in Illinois and the needles kept crapping out back then...they were like "you should go back to using regular records" haha.
djdisciple 7:48 PM - 27 September, 2007
I bought these carts about 6 months ago...
before these i was using the m447's and still do on occasion.
after they broke in a little they worked great. they sound better on regular vinyl than the shures but don't produce alot of bass like the m447's. I scratch and juggle alot on serato and i can barely feel a difference in tracking ability @ 4grams Digitrack (Concord) vs 3.5 gram M447s. so all in all im prettyy happy with them but they were damn expensive 170 a kit when i got mine.
djransom 8:27 PM - 27 September, 2007
I got mine from DJDeals about a few weeks ago. I feel like I'm collection needles now with the Q-Berts, Shure M44-Gs, and most recently the Digitracks. They're pretty good. I have the rubber grips on both my Q-Berts & Digitracks as I recall me breaking the arms off my Orto Pro-S needles. I think they're pretty good as I still believe the the Shures are just plain tanks seriously.
Dustin Fields 4:01 PM - 28 September, 2007
I wanted to mention that Ortofon cartridges in the USA have a 1 year warranty. Should you ever have a problem with the cartridge itself within the period of 1 year from the date of purchase, just contact the USA office and they'll be happy to talk to you about warranty.
AdamJay 5:25 PM - 28 September, 2007
Dustin, what about styli? The plastic housing of the stylus that was already attached to the cartridge has a small hairline crack down the front of it. And this is on both of my digitracks. The extra stylus included for each cartridge do not have this problem though. I'm using those right now.

Would these cracked styli be covered under the warranty? They haven't touched any vinyl.
nik39 11:24 PM - 29 September, 2007
Quote:
I question the fact that they handle the control signal better

+1.
Charlie Five 8:57 AM - 11 October, 2007
How are these coming along? I'm sure that they are broken in by now. I'm thinking of getting a set.