Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ Pro

thebulge 2:52 AM - 6 October, 2011
I am calling it...

It would make no sense at all for the VCI-400 to ship with DJ Intro, and then not have Serato offer a Pro version as an upgrade. Perhaps it will gain ITCH certification and overlays (notice that awesome slicer-esque matrix of buttons??? I do)... but I kind of doubt it.

I think the announcement of the VCI-400 and Serato DJ Intro has given an insight into the direction of Serato's future software releases.

There was a weird controller that came out a little while back. It was the Novation Twitch, it shipped as an ITCH controller AND had overlays for Traktor. A strange hybrid beast, never before had we seen such a box.

Effectively if you want to buy a Twitch to use with Traktor, you are also paying for an Itch license - even if you didn't use it. These things are cheap... less moving parts, no platters, selling in AU for $579 - that still seems really cheap for a pro piece of kit. I am gonna take a stab at it, and perhaps Serato's license fee is $30-40 for these, but it's probably even less.

With SSL Rane ship pretty expensive sound cards, and there is plenty of room to bundle a software license in there (thanks to the exclusive deal), but the same can't be said for the ever more competitive controllers from multiple vendors (and they ARE the future of DJing).

Serato aren't stupid, they've been listening and watching the market. Whilst ITCH suited the initial launch into midi control... true, simple, plug and play 1-1 mapping, I think they've realised the inherit limitations in this model. The market is screaming for some more customisation. It also makes it tricky for them to implement new software features when the hardware is 1-1 mapped. People are more likely to drop $29, on a software upgrade every 6-12 months, rather than toss their hardware (more likely every 2-3 years).

Times have changed a little to when ITCH first dropped... The barrier to midi controllers has been broken down, they are now widely accepted and the tech has matured. Serato (and hardware guys) have refined platter control, etc. ITCH sure helped pave the way, but as people have had a taste, they realise they'd probably like to tweak their setups. What to do? Do serato just sit idly by and let people move to Traktor Pro? I doubt it...

And so... what I think we'll see is a paid version of Serato DJ Pro (or whatever it's called) that supports a wider array of controllers (but still limited to solid partners - it won't run with junk). These will have been tested thoroughly by Serato and will come with plug and play mappings.... BUT this pro version will let you midi map and customise your rig, in a direct answer to Traktor. Maybe not to the same extent as NI's software, but it will easier.

Controllers like the VCI-400 will get access to Slicer... and Serato DJ Pro might even support older ITCH controllers too, bringing custom midi mapping for peeps that want it.

It will be priced competitively to Traktor Pro (it might even show up on the Mac Appstore) and the onus of the software licensing will be moved to the user, rather than bundling it into the hardware manufacturer.

If it's $50-100 it will totally shake up Traktor Pro in this market, Serato will make more $ out of it, which will in turn drive innovation further.

I called it now... let's see.
dj lashes 3:37 AM - 6 October, 2011
i kinda hear you bro gonna wait and see this one out lol
kraal 7:16 AM - 6 October, 2011
i think the opposite ... cause no matter how you look at it know if you purchase traktor scratch pro... you get all the features of every single itch version. so unless you can offer the same charging for a 'limited' upgrade will not work.
skinnyguy 8:51 AM - 6 October, 2011
i think it's called scratchlive
thebulge 10:26 AM - 6 October, 2011
My point here is... Why would a pro controller ship with an intro piece of software and no upgrade path?

If it's going to be an itch contoller it would just ship with itch.

So... Itch we be retired moving forward and replaced with Serato DJ Pro.

You heard it here first.
Solidsnake 4:42 PM - 6 October, 2011
Actually you heard it in the VCI-400 thread first just for clarification's sake. Lol.
kraal 4:56 PM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
My point here is... Why would a pro controller ship with an intro piece of software and no upgrade path?

why not? the software can upgrade... and it's not like serato intro is junk
irieproductions 5:36 PM - 6 October, 2011
You can upgrade to Traktor Pro and Virtual DJ Pro, the only software in the market is not Serato Intro. The device targets all software markets not just one specific software.
thebulge 9:40 PM - 6 October, 2011
You are missing the point here. Sure you can buy traktor or virtual DJ, but serato don't have an option. People get their VCI-400... Have a play with DJ intro, decide they love the serato UI and workflow, but want to go to 4 decks and take it further.... It's a gap that will be filled shortly. I am pretty sure the ns6 and twitch will be the last itch controllers we see.
kraal 9:56 PM - 6 October, 2011
i think intro is becoming what itch was going to be till the users started asking for more.... intro will have good controllers just more basic function... itch will be more advanced controller product and ssl remains what it is.... i how ever dont think there will be major crossing of controllers per platform
DJ Boom Bap 1:15 AM - 7 October, 2011
Why not make a paid midi mapping plug-in?
kraal 2:53 AM - 7 October, 2011
Quote:

as intersting as that sounds i think that would open a whole different can of worms.... paying for extra features ... but paying for a funtion is just strange
Maskrider 3:27 AM - 7 October, 2011
Quote:

I don't think this will happen........ I maybe wrong.
Dj Fitty 6:05 AM - 7 October, 2011
Itch should get canned, it has to be a nightmare for the devs. Besides the 1 to 1 format has been killed with 2.0
Maskrider 1:52 PM - 7 October, 2011
Everybody got off guard with the SP6.......It means upgraded controllers are on the way...lol
Solidsnake 7:34 PM - 7 October, 2011
I guess but this is a format that won't work... it has to have open MIDI sooner or later.

Guess who is going to be really p o'd when Video finally does drop? V7 owners, as they won't be able to take advantage of midi controlled Video transitions. Something has to give.

And the other thing everyone wants, The Bridge... well once again something has to give...
Dj Fitty 7:39 PM - 7 October, 2011
Quote:
Everybody got off guard with the SP6.......It means upgraded controllers are on the way...lol

not speaking for everyone but I don't want an updated controller everytime new features come out. My Vci 300 is not the best but it serves my needs. If midi is added I'm good for a minute.
Ragman 9:10 PM - 7 October, 2011
Quote:
[...]Guess who is going to be really p o'd when Video finally does drop? V7 owners, as they won't be able to take advantage of midi controlled Video transitions. Something has to give.[...]

How are SSL/SL1 owners doing it [Video transitions] with their mixers?
Solidsnake 11:16 PM - 7 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
[...]Guess who is going to be really p o'd when Video finally does drop? V7 owners, as they won't be able to take advantage of midi controlled Video transitions. Something has to give.[...]

How are SSL/SL1 owners doing it [Video transitions] with their mixers?

Majority of SSL owners use the TTM57, which has midi faders to control the video. There are lots of midi capable mixers, like in my SSL setup, I use the Vestax PMC-05 Pro IV which has MIDI Faders to control the video transitions. I guess you could always use the keyboard but its just not as fluid to say the least and will open up a lot of complaints.

A lot of the Pioneer mixers are also MIDI capable. So once again ITCH needs to open up MIDI-wise to allow users to grab MIDI mixers.
Ragman 12:10 AM - 8 October, 2011
Gotcha Solidsnake thanks. I never really knew that fact. :-)
DJ Boom Bap 3:49 AM - 8 October, 2011
I still think that if they charged for a plug in instead of a controller, we would be happier, and Serato would make more money