DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Technics 1200 MK2 help, beer spill!

diego vega 3:06 PM - 24 September, 2007
I was spinning at home on the weekend with friends and I made a stupid mistake, ended up spilling some beer on the pitch fader of one of my Technics 1200 MK2. They are pretty much new, only 4 years and a half old and have only been out of my studio a few times, been working perfectly until this accident.

Right after it happenned I immediately turned off the 1200, and use some paper towels with water to clean off the beer. I only tried it the next day in the afternoon to make sure it was dry and the pitch fader is messed up apparently. The zero point has moved down to around +3%, and it's acting weird since at some points it speeds up faster or slows down faster than normal. Also the quartz lock light kind of dims (not fully lit up) at different parts of the pitch...

Where I live there is no real place where to fix Techs, I just know this sound guy who has told me before he does maintenance to Techs so he could be my only hope since I know nothing about fixing electronics.

Would I need to replace the whole pitch fader part, or does it just need a proper cleaning and recalibration? If I do need to replace it completly, where could I buy this since I'm pretty sure I won't be able to find the parts here? Any websites that ship internationally?

Thanks for the help.

:(
sopranosupasta 3:18 PM - 24 September, 2007
try spraying some "electronics contact cleaner" in there and try to get the beer residue out. do not do this with the table plugged in, tip it up side down take the back cover off, pull the pitch fader screws(2 of them) and spray the thing down, and then get one of the "cans of air" and spray the crap out of it to dry it out, then try it. If it doesnt work after that, look and see if any of the the stuff is burnt or looks shorted out.
shiestO! 3:26 PM - 24 September, 2007
that sucks man. i am really anal about that when my friends spin at my house i always move their drink and wonder why in the living hell they would even think about doing that. hands moving around fast in small area= move your beer dickhead.

they think i'm crazy. this is why.. my condolences.
shiestO! 3:27 PM - 24 September, 2007
^^oh and i wasn't calling you "dickhead." that was a general statment. :)
diego vega 3:37 PM - 24 September, 2007
thanks supranosupasta.

shiesto- yeah I know what you mean, I'm always very careful and picky about drinks getting near equipment and shit, but thankfully it was my own fault, not a friend who did it. >:-[

but i'm still pissed with myself.
Nicky Blunt 4:02 PM - 24 September, 2007
i have one simple rule for my isht!

If You are dj'ing on my equipment

"YOU AINT FUCKING EATING OR DRINKING""

period!

I do but hey it's my equipment!
sixxx 4:09 PM - 24 September, 2007
That happened to a friend of mine years ago at a house party. He had to replace the pitch control card. It's an easy process.
feniks 4:35 PM - 24 September, 2007
yeah...might have to replace the pitch fader. only costs about 40 bucks but you do have to do some soldering.
diego vega 8:36 PM - 24 September, 2007
thanks sixxx and feniks... that's what I'm guessing.

Anyone know where can I get those parts shipped to me?
Logisticalstyles 1:10 PM - 25 September, 2007
www.PSSL.com sells Technics parts.
DPR250R 2:00 PM - 25 September, 2007
I had a pitch control start wigging on one of my MK2's so I decided to replace the control on both of them with the control from a MK5... bought them from this guy...

cgi.ebay.com

Shipping was quicker thn advertised.... OEM parts as well...

The LED no longer works at zero... but the click is gone.
diego vega 3:29 PM - 25 September, 2007
cool thanks guys
diego vega 6:13 PM - 9 October, 2007
Took it to the guy, he fixed it, just cleaned the fader and gave it some maintenance and it was all ok. I got home to test it, the fader seems fine, holds pitch, excellent. Then I go to put my needle back in, and guess what? F***ing tonearm is bent down, from the point where it locks, straight down. !!@#$@#$!@#$!@

Took it back to him, and he simply fixed it right there in front of me with this hand. Is this ok?

I mean the tonearm is not broken, it was just bent a bit, like a little force was put on it while locked, not like it was hit by something. No scratches or anything. And the audio goes through perfectly like normal.

I just accpted this "fix" cause over here i can't find parts, and he would be the guy to fix it again, and i'm not going to trust him again to dissasemble my tonearm.
djrocket 8:17 PM - 9 October, 2007
Quote:
That happened to a friend of mine years ago at a house party. He had to replace the pitch control card. It's an easy process.

YOUTUBE has a video of a guy replacing the pitch board.
arb 4:19 AM - 27 March, 2020
Been a long time since a google result made me smile