Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

What other Video DJing options are there.

djpuma_gemini 8:43 PM - 29 September, 2011
What's up everyone.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Serato doesn't care about dj's or video dj's anymore.

I would like to know what other options are there to dj video with.
Keep in mind that I use SSL, Mix Emergency and a mac.

I know traktor is an option, but one that doesn't do video.

Has anyone explored anything else or am I wishing in one hand and... you know the rest?
Audio1 8:46 PM - 29 September, 2011
and dont say Virtual DJ. LOL
Dj_KaGeN 8:56 PM - 29 September, 2011
Was it Itch??
Was it the new Intro??
Or the bugs in the "PROFESSIONAL" version that are throwing ya??

I have to admit, I'm on the look myself. With a recent mishap of a 'possibly' tiring TTM57 and the glaring obviousness that things have gotten a bit stagnant when it comes to ADVANCEMENTS. Maybe I need to MOVE ALONG, find a new mixer - new software - new outlook on a better bet for the future??

perhaps.. Serato should hire more staff for Scratchlive and it's components, I'll pay for the next version. I'm still a wee bit pist off VSL got beast out by Mix Emergency, and there was NO REPLY on that front. So really now... Stop making crapware for plastic toys and keep the big boys using their big boy toys with New and improved ScratchLive. We all used to be on one team and fuckin PROUD of it.
djpuma_gemini 9:00 PM - 29 September, 2011
This is how I feel.
Watchwww.youtube.com

But they jumped on board and said let's roll with it.
tomatoslice 9:21 PM - 29 September, 2011
modul8
it's insane!!

Quote:

...perhaps.. Serato should hire more staff for Scratchlive and it's components,

they have
DJBIGWIZ 9:21 PM - 29 September, 2011
I'm sure there are other VJ options out there but as far as tight integration with your DJing... I don't think there are better options than V-SL or ME. Not any easy options or ones that wouldn't include one of those anyway.
I wouldn't give up on V-SL just yet and before anybody asks, NO, I really don't know what they are or are not planning. It just seems to me (even though they haven't addressed it in a long ass time) that it wouldn't make much sense to just let it die. I know you keep telling everybody that it's dead and they aren't gonna ever upgrade it but that's ridiculous. I can't imagine that if you had that kind of inside info and were breaking a NDA by telling everybody that that they wouldn't have gotten at you about it and deleted your posts which further makes me think they are not letting it go.
I think they care about DJ's because that's what they depend on... I just think they took on a lot of new things and maybe weren't completely ready for all of it. They were dealing with things they haven't done before and also relying on other companies to do their part as well... all things you can try to prepare for but will still be a learning experience since it's new ground. They know there have been a lot of problems with SSL lately and they know that's the foundation of their reputation and main bread and butter. AI don't think a company smart enough to create that kind of flagship product and rep is gonna stay down when they fall down. They obviously know WHAT to do and that it needs to be done ASAP. It also seems like they are trying to regroup and re position their self to take a bigger hold on the market and they cant do that with out making SSL and VSL right.
I am as frustrated as anyone else (if not more) with the dip in their legendary stability and consistency and the stand still on VLS and the Bridge and could care less about itch or dj intro and wished their focus was 100% on SSL but what I want for me personally is not necessarily good for them as a company and know they gotta do what they gotta do.
But, I honestly don't think it's time to give up just yet. They know what it takes and they know how to do it, they just need to get back on it and reclaim their spot. The next few releases should be a little more telling as to where their head is at and priorities are with all this. It's too early to jump ship.
Anyway.... just my 2cents
djpuma_gemini 9:32 PM - 29 September, 2011
I honestly don't care about vsl anymore and the question was more towards the base product SSL

I'm happy wth mix emergency, but you can only use ME with SSL and if Serato wants to release newer products but not fix old ones I feel I should look other places.
FunkyRob 9:35 PM - 29 September, 2011
anybody ever tried Mix Vibes video thingy?

www.mixvibes.com
Dj_KaGeN 9:37 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
I wouldn't give up on V-SL just yet

LMAO.. the $200 dollar box of Janky. I shelved that YEARS ago.
DJBIGWIZ 9:43 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
I honestly don't care about vsl anymore and the question was more towards the base product SSL

I'm happy wth mix emergency, but you can only use ME with SSL and if Serato wants to release newer products but not fix old ones I feel I should look other places.

I feel you on that completely and spoke on that in my long ass rant above hahaha.
Maybe you didn't read that far and I don't blame you... I got off topic a bit but my overall point is I don't think there are any other better options right now but feel like Serato is gonna get SSL back to where it needs to be which will or should give you and everyone else (myself included) what they want and need.
eder 9:53 PM - 29 September, 2011
While it's nice to think that Serato will turn SSL around and "forecast" the future, the stability has really been run into the ground since 2.0 came out. I don't blame them for half-assing SSL...more and more new DJs are turning to controller systems so why not try to capture that market. It just sucks that the professional DJs get fucked in the process.

When Serato came out and said Scratch Live would never have auto-sync, I never imagined that would mean they'd devote all of their resources to making 2 different software solutions that auto-sync while running their top-tier app to the point of instability. To compare it to other software companies, it would be like Apple focusing more time and effort into two different versions of iMovie than improving their flagship Final Cut Pro.
Culprit 10:09 PM - 29 September, 2011
so much to be said on this topic, its kind of sad that vsl got shelved, dev's moving on to other projects, no updates on current situations, you know somethings up, everyone does..
DJBIGWIZ 10:47 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
While it's nice to think that Serato will turn SSL around and "forecast" the future, the stability has really been run into the ground since 2.0 came out. I don't blame them for half-assing SSL...more and more new DJs are turning to controller systems so why not try to capture that market. It just sucks that the professional DJs get fucked in the process.

When Serato came out and said Scratch Live would never have auto-sync, I never imagined that would mean they'd devote all of their resources to making 2 different software solutions that auto-sync while running their top-tier app to the point of instability. To compare it to other software companies, it would be like Apple focusing more time and effort into two different versions of iMovie than improving their flagship Final Cut Pro.

And by assuming the worst you are not "forecasting" the future? C'mon man.... it's the glass being half empty/half full scenario. You are doing the same thing here.
It also must be nice to assume Serato did all of these negative things you mentioned on purpose and that they actually devoted ALL their resources to itch and intro... I guess 2.0 upgraded it's self. Really? They made (or tried to make) what they thought were improvements to the software and some bugs got past the testing phase. It could have happened with or with out itch and intro even existing. When they add new stuff or tweak something to make it more efficient, there is a chance it will affect other things. Does that mean they should just get it right and never try to make it better because they may introduce a bug that they will have to go back and fix? If that is how things are done, we would still be using fire for out light and riding horses. You gotta take educated risks in order to grow... mistakes happen. It's how they will now address these issues that will position them in the next few yrs. They have a proven history that they can make a stable, reliable product. That's been more their usual than the buggy recent releases. Do you really think the smart bet here is on the more recent anomaly vs the long history of a proven track record? I'm frustrated to... don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to show my side as well because I'd hate to see anybody not take a more educated look at the big picture and jump ship too soon just to have Serato get back on track where everybody wants to be again. I'm sure you spend good money on your gear. To sell it and buy a whole new expensive set up just to possibly regret it a few months later would suck. I think waiting a few more releases to see if they do better or get worse is a more practical idea. Everybody's gonna do what they want but I'm honestly just trying to offer some sound advice as I see it
To say you don't blame them for trying to capture a bigger share and that it is good business on their part is to say you believe them to be a smart company. So... why would a smart company hire someone (AnthonyS) to deal with a department (VSL) they they are just going to let die... spend money on a discontinued product? Really? I don't see that as a plan to let VSL die out.

As far as the Apple/FCP argument goes. I hate what they did as well. I use FCP 7 and rely on a lot of the Pro features it has. iMovie Pro... I mean FCP X I thought was a bad move but when you looka t the big picture and the future of the industry... it's a good thing in the long run. (sucks a$$ for now though)
Apple is the only company that can financially take that kind of risk as their main share of profit is not reliant on FCP. They will be just fine w/o that money. Adobe and any other serious Video editing software can't do that because that is part of their main bread & butter. Apple is trying to redesign from the ground up and make improvements and betterments to video editing and that has to start somewhere. When you are starting over, that somewhere is unfortunately at or near the beginning.
FCP 7 didn't become FCP 7 overnight... it took all the years of previous builds to get it to the point where it was and it's unfortunately gonna take some time for them to develop the new improved FCP back to that point. Again, it sucks for now (I'm pretty pissed about it) but it's for the future good of that industry. Once they figure out all the new technology and it's easier and cheaper to incorporate, all these other editing companies can take advantage of what Apple had the balls to invest in and create and the whole industry can benefit from it and move forward.
eder 11:12 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

And by assuming the worst you are not "forecasting" the future? C'mon man.... it's the glass being half empty/half full scenario. You are doing the same thing here.
It also must be nice to assume Serato did all of these negative things you mentioned on purpose and that they actually devoted ALL their resources to itch and intro... I guess 2.0 upgraded it's self. Really? They made (or tried to make) what they thought were improvements to the software and some bugs got past the testing phase. It could have happened with or with out itch and intro even existing. When they add new stuff or tweak something to make it more efficient, there is a chance it will affect other things. Does that mean they should just get it right and never try to make it better because they may introduce a bug that they will have to go back and fix? If that is how things are done, we would still be using fire for out light and riding horses. You gotta take educated risks in order to grow... mistakes happen. It's how they will now address these issues that will position them in the next few yrs. They have a proven history that they can make a stable, reliable product. That's been more their usual than the buggy recent releases. Do you really think the smart bet here is on the more recent anomaly vs the long history of a proven track record? I'm frustrated to... don't get me wrong. I'm just trying to show my side as well because I'd hate to see anybody not take a more educated look at the big picture and jump ship too soon just to have Serato get back on track where everybody wants to be again. I'm sure you spend good money on your gear. To sell it and buy a whole new expensive set up just to possibly regret it a few months later would suck. I think waiting a few more releases to see if they do better or get worse is a more practical idea. Everybody's gonna do what they want but I'm honestly just trying to offer some sound advice as I see it.

Not once did I "forecast" anything. I'm stating the facts. Since 2.0, Serato has become more buggy and more prone to crash than ever before (and I'm not including the 1.4 fiasco where it would fry the SL1 box if you plugged it into a mac). The first crashes I've had in YEARS were with 2.2 and up. We get a new version that supports (insert unneeded newly released hardware here), but adds more and more bugs to the software. Am I the only one that remembers when there was a major flaw/bug in SSL back in the day there would be a fix within a week or two? Their track record was having QUICK and RELIABLE fixes to bugs that arose...haven't seen anything resembling that in months. I'm not saying I'm jumping ship at all, it's just disheartening to see more focus and more improvements being made for their Fisher Price line of DJ software than fixing their main program.

Okay yeah recently, final cut was a bad example. Let's look at another product line by Apple. How do you think the pro audio community would react if Logic Pro became unreliable and instead of fixing the problems, Apple launched 2 new versions of Garage Band?
Dj_KaGeN 11:28 PM - 29 September, 2011
I get the feeling someone here posting is on the payroll.. taking the middle of the road approach, as to not bite the hand that feeds you. Now, why don't you step up a wee bit and start squeaking some noise in the appropriate ears. Perhaps the wheels will get oiled and we can all benefit from it.

I agree 100% with eder. Back in the day, we all loaded Beta's that Friday afternoon- and rocked with confidence that night.. UNTESTED.. Well, now we wait for the issues columns to start firing off. I too loaded up the latest 2.3.someshit and watched within 15 min Serato crash. All in an effort to work with the CDJ-850's in PC mode. It's disgusting to see a company fall - and hard. I have been here since the beginning. I remember the photo of a SL1 box under the wheel of a Truck (Ford i think). Ya, that's the kind of Balls I want a company to have.. Gutting the core of SSL in to Itch and now Intro....?? Ya, the days of being a HARDCORE fan are diminishing.. but keep dreaming of greener pastures and typing long long nothings... The rest of us are looking at websites and googling other products. Perhaps new companies with a drive and passion that will soon be taking awards for the next few years.
djpuma_gemini 11:35 PM - 29 September, 2011
I used to run betas too.

I remember getting a text from Sixxx like hey 1.8 is out. Hell yeah installing now.

Now it's hey 2.3 is out. aww man I'm cool with 2.2 or 1.9.2. I'll wait to see what it messes up.
DJBIGWIZ 11:42 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

Not once did I "forecast" anything.

You're right.. my bad. I'm getting the vibe of what seems to be the over all consensus balled up into one response. So that wasn't meant for you but still stands for the "it's all over" cats.

Quote:

Okay yeah recently, final cut was a bad example. Let's look at another product line by Apple. How do you think the pro audio community would react if Logic Pro became unreliable and instead of fixing the problems, Apple launched 2 new versions of Garage Band?

I think it would be the same and so would my stance considering the track record of Logic. I would give them the benefit of the doubt and think since they have been so solid for so long that the better bet is that they will address these issues and get back on track. I would also recommend to long time users that have invested a lot of money and time into a setup running Logic to resist the instant urge to trade it all in and invest in something else that may be good but doesn't have the same record or being better than they are bad... like you said yourself...
Quote:
The first crashes I've had in YEARS were with 2.2 and up.....
Am I the only one that remembers when there was a major flaw/bug in SSL back in the day there would be a fix within a week or two?
Their track record was having QUICK and RELIABLE fixes to bugs that arose...haven't seen anything resembling that in months. I'm not

Exactly my point... not so much directed to you but the guys who think they should look elsewhere.
If you think it's smart to bet on months of behavior instead of years of behavior, I don't think that is a good or smart bet for their money.
Again, I'm not trying to argue with anybody or stop them from doing what they want to do I'm just trying to point out some things based on statistical odds rather than emotion of being pissed off that some people may not be taking into account. Really trying to offer some (IMO) good {logical)advice. I'm gonna do what I do and be fine regardless. Maybe I shouldn't care if I see somebody contemplating a bad decision on impulse rather than thinking rational but... I like to [i]try[/i0 and help where I can when I can.
DJ'Que 11:53 PM - 29 September, 2011
my take and thought on vsl is this. Nov we might see a private beta. then in jan (at Namm everybody will see it). this is too long to not hear nothing. but I also feel that there letting M.E fill in right now to ease up the slack. there up to something and we would be stupid to not think there letting it go.
eder 11:56 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:

Quote:
The first crashes I've had in YEARS were with 2.2 and up.....
Am I the only one that remembers when there was a major flaw/bug in SSL back in the day there would be a fix within a week or two?
Their track record was having QUICK and RELIABLE fixes to bugs that arose...haven't seen anything resembling that in months. I'm not

Exactly my point... not so much directed to you but the guys who think they should look elsewhere.
If you think it's smart to bet on months of behavior instead of years of behavior, I don't think that is a good or smart bet for their money.

You completely missed what I was saying and tried to use my words to prove your point. I'm not talking about losing faith in Serato because of bugs; hell, there's always been issues that could be ironed out better in most releases since 1.1. I'm losing faith in Serato because of how they RESPOND to the bugs. If someone found a bug in earlier versions (prior to 2.0/itch/intro/etc), it would be corrected within a week or two. Now you're lucky to get a bug fixed by the next "stable" release that will be chock full of new features (read:bloatware) and more bugs than were present in the previous "stable" release.
DJBIGWIZ 11:59 PM - 29 September, 2011
Quote:
I get the feeling someone here posting is on the payroll.. taking the middle of the road approach, as to not bite the hand that feeds you.

HA... you're a funny guy.
Aint no need to pussyfoot around me my dude... fuck the passive aggressive shit..call me out. Put my name in it if that's how you feel.

Don't get it twisted, I ain't on nobody's payroll accept mine and the only hands that feed me are at the end of my own arms. I do for me... period!
If I don't create opportunities for me, I don't make money.
If you have a company that offers a service and you are hired on a job by job basis, you work for yourself. True, I work with Rane and Serato from time to time but I have NEVER worked FOR them or any other company I have dealt with and have never been on any of their payroll... hell, I wish i was. I'd make steady money and not have to hustle all the time or spend so damn much on health insurance etc...
As far as "steppin' up a wee bit" and "squeaking some noise in the appropriate ears."
I have no problem steppin' up when my opinion is wanted and even when it's not and I hardly ever do anything only a wee bit and I am not known for "squeaking" my mind but saying exactly what's on it and making sure it's heard.
That said... I again do not work for either of these companies and no amount of my talking to the right person can make them do something they way I want it done on my time schedule nor should they. I have proven myself to be useful so I do have ears that will listen but again, all I can do is speak my piece and if you think I haven't then you are not thinking very hard at all.
eder 12:00 AM - 30 September, 2011
Kagen was talking about me. Duh.
DJBIGWIZ 12:06 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:

You completely missed what I was saying and tried to use my words to prove your point. I'm not talking about losing faith in Serato because of bugs; hell, there's always been issues that could be ironed out better in most releases since 1.1. I'm losing faith in Serato because of how they RESPOND to the bugs. If someone found a bug in earlier versions (prior to 2.0/itch/intro/etc), it would be corrected within a week or two. Now you're lucky to get a bug fixed by the next "stable" release that will be chock full of new features (read:bloatware) and more bugs than were present in the previous "stable" release.

I didn't completely miss your point, it's just that I guess my point is dealing with more than just that... and part of it was that they have dealt with new ground by adding product lines and still trying to work on SSL and as prepared as they may have thought they were, they obviously encountered things they didn't account for which took up more time and resources which slowed everything down (not all of them though) but now that they have been through it, they should better know what they need to do to get back on track. It all plays into the same result.

Quote:
Kagen was talking about me. Duh.

think so?
DJBIGWIZ 12:08 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
my take and thought on vsl is this. Nov we might see a private beta. then in jan (at Namm everybody will see it). this is too long to not hear nothing. but I also feel that there letting M.E fill in right now to ease up the slack. there up to something and we would be stupid to not think there letting it go.

Thank you! It's good to know somebody else can see that.
I was about to give up on anyone seeing a logical possible line of thought here.
Dj_KaGeN 12:12 AM - 30 September, 2011
I might win the lotto.. solid point.
djpuma_gemini 12:24 AM - 30 September, 2011
My point is about stability of SSL and Video Djing. maybe mix emergency will work with itch, dj intro, traktor or whatever someday, but right now I'm stuck using a piece of software that doesn't have any updates that are worthy of moving to.

It's like Apple ditching OSX and only focusing on IOS.

I'd gladly pay for an update to SSL that works.

Do you know the only reason I bought the 57 was?
It was to spin video with VSL.
I was super stoked bought them both at the same time.

Now I couldn't tell you the last time I used VSL or even opened it.
Culprit 12:39 AM - 30 September, 2011
i'd love to beta test the next vsl in hopes to help them get it working on pc correctly. I still have that part of me that has hope. I know mac has ME, but the pc users need to have vsl available to them as well since it is listed and sold with the requirements for pc and mac, but does not work on pc.
DJBIGWIZ 12:46 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
i'd love to beta test the next vsl in hopes to help them get it working on pc correctly. I still have that part of me that has hope. I know mac has ME, but the pc users need to have vsl available to them as well since it is listed and sold with the requirements for pc and mac, but does not work on pc.

it works on PC but you have to have all the right components. DJ Shorty has been running VSL on custom built PC and it runs as good if not better than on a mac but she had to do her homework and find out what would and wouldn't work. There are too many variables with PC. I don't think you are gonna get something off the shelf that's gonna work well.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:47 AM - 30 September, 2011
Runs perfect on my Asus.......granted had to run through a few different drivers for my video card but its all good here...
skinnyguy 12:51 AM - 30 September, 2011
my friend runs mixvibes. he loves it. but he's also anti-mac. and didn't like vdj. so that was his only other option. he would've gone traktor in a heartbeat, but no video support.
DjWoody 12:53 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quite honestly, I don't have any problems with VSL and I use it every week. Than again, I'm still on ScratchLive 1.9.2, but I do use the latest version of VSL. 1.9.2 + VSL = Rock solid system for me.

*knock on wood
DjWoody 12:55 AM - 30 September, 2011
Back to the original topic, the other resident DJ uses Virtual DJ with a Pioneer MEP controller. He's been using it like that since the MEP came out and it's rock solid for him too. The only problems he had were related to his computer, not Virtual DJ.

This is what he uses.
www.alliesdj.com
sixxx 2:52 AM - 30 September, 2011
Here are my 6 cents....

While I've been using SSL and VSL since I got my macbook 2.0 dual core, I can't wait to move up to Mix Emergency just because it has a lot more to offer. And, while I may not use all the stuff it does (since I really don't know all the stuff it does, just what I've heard), I've heard nothing but positive feedback, so I'm going to give it a go now that I have a macbook pro quad core.

I do feel VSL got shelved... and yes, SSL has been very unstable/buggy. And yes, I remember when I used to text cats I knew about new releases or they would text me and we would all jump on it and be spinning at a gig without issues soon after. Now, it's like they've said... a new version comes up and you wait and see what is fucked up with it.

Sad but true.

Now, I'd like to know what other video djing options are out there too. Not because I'm going to switch, but it's good to know what other options there are. For now, VSL on my Macbook until Serato supports Lion which is the operating system that my new MBP came with and no. I will not downgrade.
ta2423 4:24 AM - 30 September, 2011
Personally ssl and m.e. are on lockdown. I dont see it getting any better. Every gig zero hiccups with smooth sailing. Guess for some the next best thing is the softeware actually mixing for you.
tomatoslice 4:55 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:

what is this vsl people keep mentioning?

i have to relearn modul8 in the next couple of weeks.
after that i plan on hyper-focusing on ME and it's capabilities. every time i look at it just for a few minutes i discover something new.
Dj Nyce 5:28 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
What's up everyone.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Serato doesn't care about dj's or video dj's anymore.

I would like to know what other options are there to dj video with.
Keep in mind that I use SSL, Mix Emergency and a mac.

I know traktor is an option, but one that doesn't do video.

Has anyone explored anything else or am I wishing in one hand and... you know the rest?

you'll need a midi controller but vdmx, modul8, resolume are some dope vj apps.
djpuma_gemini 5:43 AM - 30 September, 2011
Yeah I'm trying to mess with resolume and I can't even get the output of me to get into reosolume via syphon.
skinnyguy 7:18 AM - 30 September, 2011
Hey sixxx, guess what? Alluva sudden, now serato supports lion for scratchlive!

W00t!

.....but I'm still staying on snow leopard.
eder 10:02 AM - 30 September, 2011
Quote:
Hey sixxx, guess what? Alluva sudden, now serato supports lion for scratchlive!

W00t!

.....but I'm still staying on snow leopard.

I'm rockin' leopard like an OG
sixxx 1:54 PM - 30 September, 2011
Yeah. I saw that! I'm gonna give it a go next week.
Too late to get everything done and tested by tonight. nm
skinnyguy 8:56 PM - 30 September, 2011
weird thing is....there's no "new" version. more like they just "officially" support it now, just by making an official statement. and they also acknowledge that the same bugs are still there and that they are now working on it.

so i guess that means the devs are back to work on ssl improvements now that intro is out of the bag?

just by stating it's officially supported without a new version doesn't mean it's any safer now than it was previously....but it does show that they're now putting an effort into an update.
Code:E 4:25 AM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
and dont say Virtual DJ. LOL

Why not???? I used VDJ for YEARS and to anyone using a PC i would tell them to avoid VSL (and ME cause they have no choice cause there it no PC version) Like the plague. In years of use i never once had it crash well doing videos with it well live. It has more Video efx, more options and is far more customizable than SSL could ever hope to be. If you had stability issue's with VDJ its not the softwares fault its the user. VDJ has its own MIK built in, it plays 10 times more file types, and is capable of doing anything serato can. If the bridge didn't exist i would probably still be using VDJ. I don't understand what is with all the VDJ hate.
FunkyRob 10:36 PM - 3 October, 2011
I honestly think that so many guys out there are using cracked versions of VDJ and those are the ones that crash all the time.

I've rarely heard of legitimate users having problems and I doubt that the program is as bad as it's reputation

/opinion
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:12 PM - 3 October, 2011
That's what I can't figure out either, why all the VDJ hate?? I've been using it for 5 years now and have never had a crash while playing live. I have VSL aswell, yes running successfully on a pc and I really don't see what all the hype is. Both programs have there pros & cons like anything else. Is it because of the sync button, really?? Scratch Live is the only software that have it, not that that matters. I use both programs just depends where I'm at and who's playing behind me or in front of me. Don't let the crackheads deter you....
phatbob 11:21 PM - 3 October, 2011
Unfortunately, in the UK at least, VDJ will forever be associated with crap DJs in shit pubs and bars, using auto sync/auto mix on their battered laptops with 128kps torrented mp3s.

All using cracked copies of the software, of course.

There is no denying that a skilled DJ can use VDJ to great effect. But there is also no denying that it allows talentless f*cks to pass themselves off as real DJs.

That's the legacy VDJ users will always have to fight, I'm afraid.
Code:E 11:23 PM - 3 October, 2011
Quote:
I honestly think that so many guys out there are using cracked versions of VDJ and those are the ones that crash all the time.

I've rarely heard of legitimate users having problems and I doubt that the program is as bad as it's reputation

/opinion

Completely agree, most of the people i have talked with in person having issue are using cracked version. That's usually where i end the conversation, and they call me some foul name or tell me im all high and mighty and have no clue want im talking about....
Rick Hodgkins 11:29 PM - 3 October, 2011
Well supporting most video formats, across all operating systems does take some doing.
As fast as hardware, operating systems and drivers were changing, keeping up was not quite so simple as select hardware, formats and operating systems like with other software, you call it.

Now in the meanwhile, MOST of those things are history and there are many high profile dj's who see through the hate and focus on reality.

Crack usage isn't much of a factor anymore, the latest free version killed most of that off and software protection problems dropped off significantly.
djpuma_gemini 12:46 AM - 4 October, 2011
I'm glad serato is hardware based. At least you know you have to purchase something to dj, unlike vdj.
Bren 2:39 AM - 4 October, 2011
I think from now on anyone who wants to be a DJ should have to purchase a license for something like $10,000 - lets just kick away the ladder! As long as we can have our fun...

I was setting up in a club with VDJ and some cool kid was supposed to be DJ'ing on another night, so he came over and said he'd just bought a new pair of CDJ's and found it mildly amusing that I was using VDJ. He didn't seem aware that video mixing was even possible, and when I started mixing videos he was nearly moved to tears...that's when you know you've been left behind, despite spending thousands on new CDJ's that same week, true story.
djpuma_gemini 5:12 AM - 4 October, 2011
So you don't use SSL or VSL or ME?
tomatoslice 6:17 AM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:

there is also no denying that it allows talentless f*cks to pass themselves off as real DJs.

kind of like serato intro...
Rick Hodgkins 8:50 AM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
I think from now on anyone who wants to be a DJ should have to purchase a license for something like $10,000 - lets just kick away the ladder! As long as we can have our fun...

Well there's no need to spend 10k Bren, all you need is an old sl1 interface and you automatically qualify to be a real dj, no talent required. Kicking away the ladder is much easier than proving your not a talentless dj.

What I fail to see is how this is valid when dj's are spending crazy money on cdj 2k's and a mixer or video mixer regardless of their personal choice in software.

Of course this all means more when it comes from respected SSL users on a video panel discussion as it was in Atlantic City this last August.

I would love to see this discussion go down with guys like Biggie, Scotty B and Larry D present. My bet is the crickets is all you would hear, but forum bashing is much more sporting.
phatbob 9:27 AM - 4 October, 2011
Actually tomatoslice, as much as I have issue with Serato launching a third product, at least Intro requires some real hardware, and althogh it syncs it's not a simple as the automix function in VDJ. Intro won't do the crossfade for you.
SiRocket 10:30 AM - 4 October, 2011
lol at the auto crossfade.... i love when i goto the bowling alley and that shit is mixing stuff together automatically.... shouts to the creator of VDJ who always trolls the forums and the booths at namm, for taking away the $50 dj jobs, so now they have to flood the higher end dj jobs... :p..

Back on the VSL topic, i have been bummed yet patient, i have been losing my patience so i recently got ME, i love the extras on it, the placeable video preview windows the random video (if an audio only track is playing) etc...

To be honest, after i cleaned up my video library and got rid of crappy video files i haven't had crashing issues, granted i haven't mixed out live doing video for 2 months but i still mainly play 80%+ video files in my sets (even if audio only)... I haven't had a beachball or a total crash for awhile (since 2.1 i believe).....

I don't doubt there are stability issues, and i know there needs to be some speed improvements and id3 tag improvements for videos, so im all for a good update and cleansing.

But i haven't had any interest to leave serato and SSL, and i feel when i do have a bigger issue things will be worked out. If not i might be on the same boat as everyone else ;)

p.s. i gig out 3-5 times a week plus muchos practice...
Rick Hodgkins 2:20 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
shouts to the creator of VDJ who always trolls the forums and the booths at namm, for taking away the $50 dj jobs, so now they have to flood the higher end dj jobs... :p...

I can assure you he is not trolling forums or NAMM for that matter.
But why if he is a good business man and studies his competition shouldn't he be doing those things on occasion? I can also assure he listens with great interest and detail to his customers when he codes, few software companies can say that.

I've personally seen the whole dj food chain collapse because of the economy forcing the high end dj companies to work for nothing to stay busy feeding off the bottom end dj's.
Funny the economy is totally ignored as a factor in this discussion of worth.
But I am sure its much easier to take shots at VDJ, Funny how none of the more automated programs that also do video also are not included in the ass whooping like Mixmeister and OTS...who???
Seriously if you ever saw those apps mix on auto it would blow your mind.
phatbob 2:24 PM - 4 October, 2011
VDJ gets the heat because it's so ubiquitous. Mixmeister is not so immediately accessible if you've never used a DAW, and in all my years DJing I've only ever seen one guy using Ots.
Rick Hodgkins 2:42 PM - 4 October, 2011
Not sure how you can say that, every club I've ever seen was prewired and ready to go with SSL.
Just plug in any laptop and it works (even without spending a dime on software by the dj)
Now if your referring to beer tab bar dj's, they are doing you a favor imo.
I can't work for that kind of money or they can't afford me but so be it.
It's kind of like the immigration issue in a way, these people take jobs that most don't want and wouldn't take working for nothing.
tomatoslice 3:26 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
Actually tomatoslice, as much as I have issue with Serato launching a third product, at least Intro requires some real hardware, and althogh it syncs it's not a simple as the automix function in VDJ. Intro won't do the crossfade for you.

ah gotcha
djpuma_gemini 4:50 PM - 4 October, 2011
Some make Mix Emergency run with Traktor so I can test it out
SiRocket 6:19 PM - 4 October, 2011
@mp3rick... im not here to get my jollies off of how dope a software can be coded to do my job, i'm here because of what the software can provide as a tool to help me with the job that i love to do.... I'm also not a programmer in a basement excited because i created an algorithm. Kudos to his excitement but auto-mode (not to be confused with auto-synce)... isn't the issue/reason why most of us are in this thread.....
SiRocket 6:19 PM - 4 October, 2011
auto-sync*
dj marvelousLA 6:56 PM - 4 October, 2011
Here's my 1 1/2 cents. I've been using both serato and vdj. I recently decided to give vsl a try and I wish I would have kept my money. I'm a registered user of VDJ and it's great, some minor problems such as how to configure my PC, but feature wise there is nothing close to it. I thought I would be making an upgrade to a better program, but vsl isn't. I use serato for music and vdj for video. I think that's the best way to do it.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:12 PM - 4 October, 2011
Other then the fact VDJ has an automix or sync, why all the hate?? No one here has given a real reason....... It has a ton of features that I see a lot of VSL users asking for. Like I said I use both just depends where I'm at. I just don't get it.......
Rick Hodgkins 7:18 PM - 4 October, 2011
Quote:
@mp3rick... im not here to get my jollies off of how dope a software can be coded to do my job, i'm here because of what the software can provide as a tool to help me with the job that i love to do.... I'm also not a programmer in a basement excited because i created an algorithm. Kudos to his excitement but auto-mode (not to be confused with auto-synce)... isn't the issue/reason why most of us are in this thread.....

Nor am I, but people have this attitude towards Virtual Dj that is wrong and baseless anymore. Its one little feature that has your focus and not the whole picture of what it can do.

Everybody is all worked up over auto play/not mix, saying it makes the DB dj took better than he is and I totally dispute that.
I am very happy with what the software does in the application that I use it and its heavy use video only pretty much on a larger than average scale projection wise.
What I also find is that if you depend on auto play to mix for you, the results are not very good. Don't know about you, but one time is too many.
Its meant for dinner sets, and yes if set up will take a stab at blending, but I would never use it that way.

Now what I am saying to you is that if you try it, you may be pleasantly surprised, but don't put it down because of one silly feature that nobody professionally uses.Bowling alleys are the exception naturally. But most pro dj's want to look busy and standing there while a playlist is running is just plain stupid.

There are loads of guys who use both and frankly if you aren't scratching with vinyl but using turntables, you're only fooling yourself. (not you, in general) There are many who do just that, and technically are only shortchanging themselves not using cdj's or other control devices that have the features you have to add with a Dicer or the like or use keyboard shortcuts which is friggin antiquated imo.

Sure I use a coffin with two decks and a video mixer for show, certainly turns people on.
But I also use a smaller rig that might look a little wavie to some here, but I can do the same exact thing on both to perfection.

Technology waits for no one
Code:E 8:17 PM - 4 October, 2011
My buddy scratch's and mixes video with VDJ using the Numark Virtual Vinyl soundcard. But he only started using turntable again recently with this setup when he discovered that when using serato Vinyl timecode's (VDJ has an option to do that) that tracking performance went way up. so thats what he plays on now.
SiRocket 2:49 AM - 5 October, 2011
i was dogging the feature, not the program.... appreciate the novel though.... im in this thread for SSL, so if you want to talk vdj and continue to go indepth on it, feel free to bounce over there, and don't forget to add on the karaoke program.
phatbob 9:11 AM - 5 October, 2011
lol
Rick Hodgkins 11:03 AM - 5 October, 2011
Sorry for the long assed rant

When people asked for options I never said a word, I respect this forum and it's staff.

I just wish people would open their eyes a bit and stop the hating nonsense.

My car has a cigarette lighter in it, I hate it, it makes me look like a smoker and that's not me at all. I could let it go, but I can't, so I am forever committed to hate on that car company despite the fact that its a Corvette with all the options.

Karaoke codecs are included

It's not the software, its what you do with it that matters.

out
tomatoslice 2:26 PM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:
Other then the fact VDJ has an automix or sync, why all the hate?? No one here has given a real reason....... It has a ton of features that I see a lot of VSL users asking for. Like I said I use both just depends where I'm at. I just don't get it.......

neither do. any tool that makes my Djing better i am cool with.

does Vdj use any type of hardware besides a comp? like an external soundcard?
what do you need exactly to run it?
djpuma_gemini 2:41 PM - 5 October, 2011
I'm talking about options other than SSL, Since I use mix emergency, I'm tied to SSL and since the iphone 4s, I mean DJ Intro came out, I'm assuming that Serato isn't focused on the og software and now they have a 3rd app to fix bugs and dev on.
tomatoslice 6:02 PM - 5 October, 2011
i learned how to make qtz files, forgot how, and now have to relearn.
at the same time trying to figure out syphon.

would like to figure out how to use mix emergency, syphon and either modul8 or avenue to vj.
anyone doing any of this or know how?
Code:E 6:10 PM - 5 October, 2011
working on doing the same thing this week.... I was looking to use modul8 or arkos VJ and syphon both deck feeds to the program and have a second person on a second monitor do al the video efx and and mixing... 2 problems that might be too much for 1 computer to handle both video efx and serato (plus i use the bridge too so im really taxing my system) and the need for 2 eternal monitors. Im gonna borrow my buddys matrox triplehead2go and see if i can do it that way the weekend. I will let you know how it goes. Tomato PM how far along are you? you got any other idea's you could share on how tod this?
Rebelguy 6:35 PM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:
working on doing the same thing this week.... I was looking to use modul8 or arkos VJ and syphon both deck feeds to the program and have a second person on a second monitor do al the video efx and and mixing... 2 problems that might be too much for 1 computer to handle both video efx and serato (plus i use the bridge too so im really taxing my system) and the need for 2 eternal monitors. Im gonna borrow my buddys matrox triplehead2go and see if i can do it that way the weekend. I will let you know how it goes. Tomato PM how far along are you? you got any other idea's you could share on how tod this?

If you are doing the audio how would the other person mix the videos. Why not just get a second computer and let the other person handle things on that?
Code:E 7:12 PM - 5 October, 2011
How will they not? I have perviously mapped a M audio Xsession pro, to the midi mixer controls of VSL. so i mix audio and pay no attention to the video well the GF fades and effects between videos. I would like to give her, her own computer, but how an i to get both decks video feeds to her computer? i have not figured out a way todo this yet.
DJ'Que 7:59 PM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:
Here's my 1 1/2 cents. I've been using both serato and vdj. I recently decided to give vsl a try and I wish I would have kept my money. I'm a registered user of VDJ and it's great, some minor problems such as how to configure my PC, but feature wise there is nothing close to it. I thought I would be making an upgrade to a better program, but vsl isn't. I use serato for music and vdj for video. I think that's the best way to do it.
didnt you do video at the savoy
DJ'Que 8:02 PM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:
i was dogging the feature, not the program.... appreciate the novel though.... im in this thread for SSL, so if you want to talk vdj and continue to go indepth on it, feel free to bounce over there, and don't forget to add on the karaoke program.
im reading all this vdj crap too and wondering if they so happy with vdj then are they on serato site and why have both is 1 is better,
SiRocket 8:03 PM - 5 October, 2011
karaoke que.... karaoke....
SiRocket 8:03 PM - 5 October, 2011
lol
Joshua Carl 10:49 PM - 5 October, 2011
I cant use VDJ becuase my wife will make fun of me....

I taught her how to use it in under 3 hours.
so, whenever she "offers" up my DJ services for her friends neices graduation party,
I say here's the eons; heres a copy of the hard drive.... have fun.
and she always gives me shit now because of how easy it was, is....

Like mentioned above, it all depends on what ya do with it, and preference.
I know guys on VDJ who are amazing... though, they are in the the low %.
fact is, most of the guys I know using VDJ are the hacks...
(thats a fact that the "few guys i know" are hacks....not that I know everyone is)

Its funny Rick mentioned the cars.
Thats the same anaology I always goto... when CDJs came out, and there was the
are u CDJ or Vinyl... Id always say both...
why?
Well of someone said... you can have this cherry 63 Vette, or this 2011 Vette..
well, Id want both.... who says I cant have (use) both...DJ Law?

So, when I look at DVS I personally, IMO, think VDJ on most levels is a consumer grade sports car... like a mustang maybe?
anyone can go buy it, and if you have driven enough cars you be able to street race it pretty well and look flashy.... and its certainly a ballsy car, worthy of its pricetag.

but I wouldnt Take it on a Formula race track where those cars are designed to do
one thing, race on professional race tracks against other drivers.

and Ill tell ya, theres days i WISH i had VDJ on my computer.... weddings.
I still mix my dinner sets live...or its slow and I just want 4 tracks to play so I
can talk to the manager/bartender...and not have to stop, run to the booth, mix the next record...."okay...where were we?"

not to get off topic... and start yet another VDJ /SLL debate....
thats just my opinion, and I started out on VDJ with video, and have always kept up
with their progress, they have certainly made moves....good ones.
but fact is "joe public" knows serato.. "jimmy raver" knows traktor.
and they both know VDJ becuase they have it on their computers at home...
and if they have it.... well... you see where Im going.. "if i have it, and im not even a dj"

but in the end...I just can have my wife talking shit about my DVS to me.
Code:E 11:15 PM - 5 October, 2011
I would consider VDJ to far more that a DVS and closer to something like Traktor has going. I started on VDJ because i could use CDJ's at the club and then pull out my wedding rig with the DMC2 in it and use the same compute same and the same program for both cases. Yes my DMC2 also works with Serato but i find it functions far better with VDJ.
tomatoslice 11:55 PM - 5 October, 2011
Quote:

so, whenever she "offers" up my DJ services for her friends neices graduation party,

if the War Department EVER talked some shit to me or made fun of me for how i Djed i would just battle her, knock her down a couple pegs and tell her to make me a sandwich.
Christopher2 1:34 AM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:

Yea I tried VSL but it was just too difficult so I had to go back to VDJ, well any excuse to spend 3 hours with your wife.
Rick Hodgkins 12:21 PM - 6 October, 2011
Well I was out, but gotta add that the learning curve as Josh said is easy, I call it kind on the mind, which it should be in a basic mode kind of way.
But its also got the ability to be customized to fit the technical dj like a glove.
Again, its what you do with it be it simple or technical.

Quote:
Well of someone said... you can have this cherry 63 Vette, or this 2011 Vette..
well, Id want both.... who says I cant have (use) both...DJ Law?

Good point, and with VDJ you can have both and even run both at the same time side by side.

Quote:
So, when I look at DVS I personally, IMO, think VDJ on most levels is a consumer grade sports car... like a mustang maybe?

You mean Shelby..hehe and keep an eye on the rear view mirror...lol

I've looked at VSL myself, and it was only the ME options that really had my interest, options I hope to see VDJ have soon. I just wasn't willing to re encode my whole video collection for the sake of a change that would offer less to me. I'm not bothered by learning curves or time that it takes to get acclimated to new software.

Now @ Rocket, real time I get the call from Harvard for a dance party at one of their retreats. They came the question "are you able to do karaoke"? Ok, so yes I do, in fact if we are setting up video monitors, you can also add music video and make this a video/karaoke dance. Bam, sold just like that. Cracked that party wide open with interaction, laugh at it if you like but it started with that question and my answer.
People really need to look at things from a different perspective, half full, not half empty. Sure I've seen some dumb ass kj shows, but I've done some great ones too.
Dj Nyce 1:19 PM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
i learned how to make qtz files, forgot how, and now have to relearn.
at the same time trying to figure out syphon.

would like to figure out how to use mix emergency, syphon and either modul8 or avenue to vj.
anyone doing any of this or know how?

i'm using ME, syphon and modul8. alot of things you can do with that combo.

i'm working on a tutorial highlighting some of the more common usage scenarios. in the meantime what do you want to know?
Joshua Carl 1:35 PM - 6 October, 2011
just curious,,,, what made you pick Module 8 vs Avenue
Dj Nyce 1:47 PM - 6 October, 2011
i picked modul8 just it because it supports syphon in and out. Resolume Avenue only supports syphon in via quartz composer. Aside from that they're all about the same.

Avenue is some dope software and in the end doesn't really matter.

It's amazing how all of this software is huge overseas and just now catching on in the states.
Code:E 7:09 PM - 6 October, 2011
I want to know EVERYTHING^^^^^ I just got that same thing working last night with Grand VJ instead of modul8
SiRocket 7:33 PM - 6 October, 2011
i'm not a mobile dj so i could care less on the karaoke :)
skinnyguy 8:04 PM - 6 October, 2011
nyce - how much ram does your lappy have? and does ssl/me/syphon/modul8 run smoothly?
Dj Nyce 8:19 PM - 6 October, 2011
Quote:
nyce - how much ram does your lappy have? and does ssl/me/syphon/modul8 run smoothly?

2009 macbook w/4gb - ssl/me/syphon/modul8 works ok; screen updates a little sluggish; ssl waveforms sluggish
2009 macbook pro w/4 gb - everything works perfectly
2011 macbook pro w/8gb - everything works perfectly *this is my current DJ laptop
Code:E 9:37 PM - 6 October, 2011
Nyce got a question/Idea... Im still new to all this VJ stuff like syphon, but last night well i was playing with syphon and quartz, I think i found an option to network syphon data... Do you know if its possible to send my video from from ME via syphon to a second macbook? do you have 2 at home still could you try this out?
skinnyguy 1:38 AM - 7 October, 2011
wow. 4gb ram and it runs smooth?
Dj Owe 11:59 AM - 17 October, 2011
Quote:
I used to run betas too.

I remember getting a text from Sixxx like hey 1.8 is out. Hell yeah installing now.

Now it's hey 2.3 is out. aww man I'm cool with 2.2 or 1.9.2. I'll wait to see what it messes up.

same here ever since 1.9.2 i rocked every beta avail with no issues at gigs. since yall added the dicers each version has had major bugs,
djkulo 6:22 PM - 28 December, 2011
I heard that Virtual DJ 8 is coming soon. Hope it is as good as I am hoping it to be.
djpuma_gemini 6:27 PM - 28 December, 2011
I was thinking about this thread again and want to reiterate my point.

I love SSL and I love love Mix Emergency.

What else can someone use to spin video that works like SSL AND ME with turntables.

Traktor for SSL but no video portion.

Think of it this way.
IF ssl was gone right now what would you as a video dj use.
Bren 6:44 PM - 28 December, 2011
Personally I use neither atm, I have nothing against them but neither suite my particular needs, for this reason I use VDJ regardless of what some douchebag DJ may or may not say about it; it's a powerful tool and offers me the versatility that I need.

Some of you may know that version 8 is in development and it involves a whole rewrite of the program with a larger development team,it should be released a few months (or more) from now and I've every confidence it's going to blow away what is already a solid program.
djpuma_gemini 7:17 PM - 28 December, 2011
Hmm, very interesting.

I've never really thought of using VDJ.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 7:41 PM - 28 December, 2011
Why?? It's been around a while.
djpuma_gemini 8:04 PM - 28 December, 2011
Just cause I thought it was a piece of crap
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:11 PM - 28 December, 2011
Lol, fair enough. It's really not and no I'm not some karaoke DJ or a sync DJ either, lmao!! It's like anything though, has it's pros & cons. Like the other dude it is also my software of choice.
tomatoslice 10:13 PM - 28 December, 2011
i'd use VDJ but i like turntables.

if i used cdjs, which are basically, an overpriced large jog wheel i would jump to controllers instantly. with that you might as well try vdj. only thing holding me back is a solid controller.
Bren 11:02 PM - 28 December, 2011
I use the Denon MC6000 which is natively compatible but it's easy to customize everything, I like having that amount of control on such a small footprint, I don't have to go anywhere when mixing - but I also have the option of connecting CDJ2000's for deck control.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:27 PM - 28 December, 2011
You have deck control with the MC6000 when using it with an SL3..........read around my friend, lol!
Rebelguy 11:42 PM - 28 December, 2011
Quote:
You have deck control with the MC6000 when using it with an SL3..........read around my friend, lol!

I think he means real deck control. The MC6000 hack works but it is barely useable.
Dj TopDonn 4:40 AM - 26 January, 2012
Quote:
i picked modul8 just it because it supports syphon in and out. Resolume Avenue only supports syphon in via quartz composer. Aside from that they're all about the same.

Avenue is some dope software and in the end doesn't really matter.

It's amazing how all of this software is huge overseas and just now catching on in the states.

Whats up Nyce, Im checking out Resolume Avenue 4 and looks like they did not update it to support syphon in ----> www.resolume.com

With that in mind would you still recommend going with modul8?

Thanks