Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

My Vista Disaster! Please help...

Product
Scratch Live
Version
-
Hardware
Ortofon | Serato S-120
Computer
-
OS
Platform
-
DJ Zuz 5:52 AM - 22 September, 2007
This is my first time posting. I've been using Searto for over a year on a XP Pro Platform. Last week I formatted my machine and installed Vista Ulitmate. I did all the tweaks and fixes I could find and installed the lastest 1.74 RC 2 and 1.72 full release.

I opened 1.74 rc2 and all my overviews had been built (I Run my mp3s off an external HD). In over a year of using serato on XP pro I've never had one crash or dropout.

I start my gig last night and while mixing in my 2nd song 1.74rc2 totally froze up. For the first time I saw the word USB with a red circle to the left of it display at the top of the serato window. I can only assume this would be what people call "usb dropout"

I closed 1.74rc2 and launched old trust 1.72. This seemed to respond better...However, about 15 songs in while mixing the word USB and red circle started showing up again and the audio started to skip a bit. I quickly switched the song playing to INT mode and was able to mix without any crashes or problems.

I have a IBM Thinkpad T42p with duo centrino processor 2gb of ram and 100gb HD. I'm using a western digital passport 250gb external HD. My ram and processor usage is very low before opening serato. What am I doing wrong here?

Any suggestions? Can anyone tell me the best settings for Serato running on Vista. Please help me out guys!

Thanks!

DJ Zuz
DrStank 11:48 AM - 22 September, 2007
I think your computer is having a conflict with Ted Challenger. I would delete anything with the name Ted Challenger, China Blue or Dirty Little Roddy's in your computer and reformat.
DJ Zuz 3:16 PM - 22 September, 2007
That's not very helpful. Just goes to show all the haters out there, just asking for a little help and this is what gets written back. I wonder how many top paying gigs you are holding down....That's what I thought.

Anyways, once again....

Any suggestions? Can anyone tell me the best settings for Serato running on Vista. Please help me out guys!
DrStank 4:55 PM - 22 September, 2007
Chill out Mark, it's OJ. I was just funnin with ya. Looks like you shit out your sense of humor, so a little less fiber, k? (thanks Kagen)

My understanding is that Vista is not stable with 1.74. Let me look into it a bit and I'll get back to you later today.

PS. I wouldn't call $100-200 a night in Boise, Idaho a "top paying gig." Careful with the anger there buddy. Miss ya.
DJ Zuz 5:57 PM - 22 September, 2007
I figure it may have been you. However, I had to make sure it wasn't one of the many jaded haters out of work in Boise.

I think you would be pretty impressed to see what the going rate now is for China & Roddy's, we've come a long way. (Loft, Shakers, Badaboom, even Cactus have all closed). The rate compares to what a lot of guys have posted on here for playing in a much bigger city.

I think you would be suprised how far I've come skill wise, and I'm having a great time holding down Saturdays in China and Thur & Friday in Roddy's.

As far as 1.74 being stable with Vista, I also had the same problem with 1.72 after closing out of 1.74. I just want to make sure I have the usb buffer and audio cache settings optimized for running on Vista Ultimate.

Thanks for any info you can find to help me out with this.

-Zuz
DrStank 9:30 PM - 22 September, 2007
I figres Badaboom would close. Loft... that was Diggy #2 in my book. That's where all the rif-raf went after Diggy closed.

Try reinstalling 1.72 and also, plug in the SL1 when going through the setup. There are a lot of people that are much more familiar with Vista/XP usage of SSL. I've got a Mac Powerbook Pro so I wouldn't be of much help.

Try doing a search for "USB Vista" in quick search on this forum. I found a few discussions that were a bit enlightening. I'm sure someone has already gone through what you're going through and the answer's there somewhere.

I'll keep looking when I get a chance. Good seeing you on these boards and I'm glad to hear that you're working to improve your skills. I hoped I was at least a little inspiration in your growth. ;)

Talk to ya later. PM me if you need anything.
jhgjhjhg 11:35 AM - 23 September, 2007
Maybe Im missing something but u guys did install the new vista drivers? U proberaly hav and then Im overstating the obvious and its something else
DJ Zuz 2:12 PM - 23 September, 2007
Yeah, I did install the new vista drivers. Im thinking it's something with the usb Buffer and Audio Cache. Whats the best setting for those on a Vista machine?
Rane, Support
Zach S 4:32 PM - 24 September, 2007
Hello Zuz,

The reason why we suggest using an XP machine over Vista is because you can get your usb audio buffer lower on an XP machine.
It might be that your usb audio buffer is set too low for that Vista machine.

Try boosting it to 10.
Also make sure that you disable any anti virus (Norton or alike) and turn off your wireless internet.

If you unplug your external and just play tracks from your internal do you get the same drop out issue?
DJ Zuz 5:19 PM - 24 September, 2007
Thanks Zach,

Yeah I jumped the gun on Vista a bit early. I'll boost the buffer up to 10 and try it again.

Norton was disabled and my bluetooth, wireless and NIC were disabled.

Happens with track off external and internal.

I'll try the buffer. Any other settings I should change?

-Zuz
Rane, Support
Zach S 6:04 PM - 24 September, 2007
I would also try your other port(s) on your computer making sure not to plug into a hub/splitter.

Do you have any other usb devices plugged in?
djbriguy 6:36 PM - 24 September, 2007
thisssss is why i didnt get XP on the new laptop i just ordered.

Sorry i really don't have any suggestions hehe. Just wanted to remind everyone to stick to XP until Vista is reliable for SSL!
djbriguy 6:36 PM - 24 September, 2007
didnt get XP = didnt get VISTA. im stoopid
DJ Zuz 7:56 PM - 24 September, 2007
I have two usb ports on my laptop. The serato interface is plugged into one of them, the external hd is plugged into the other. I tried swapping them. Those are the only two devices I have plugged in.

This exact setup worked flawlessly with XP pro on the same machine, this is whats throwing me for a loop.

I figured with doing all the suggest Vista tweaks and with 2gb of RAM I would be good.

I really don't want this to happen on my next Gig.
DrStank 2:56 AM - 25 September, 2007
Zuz, your buffer settings should fix your dropouts from what I've read. Any chance you can get in there and try it out before the weekend? I'm sure you have access.
DJ Zuz 4:31 AM - 25 September, 2007
I'll give it a try tommorow. I'm in Michigan. I'll give it a try on my home setup (2 CDJ1000's and a DJM400) ;)

I'm so hoping the buffer settings fix the dropouts.

-Zuz
DJ Zuz 7:42 PM - 27 September, 2007
Alright so here is the update.

I removed 1.74RC2 & 1.72. I also removed the SL1 Drivers, rebooted machine. Re-Downloaded 1.74 & got 1.74RC3. Reinstalled these with the SL1 plugged in.

Made sure the drivers were up to date. Launched 1.74rc3 played a track, about 3 seconds in started getting USB dropouts. I bumped the USB Buffer up to 10 and that instantly fixed the issue.

I played for about 2 hours on my home setup without any dropouts. The true test will be tonight.

Wish me luck!

Thanks for the help!

-Zuz
DrStank 7:46 PM - 27 September, 2007
Good luck bro. You at Roddy's tonight? Say hi to the old crew if any of them are still there. Need to get me booked at China Blue on a weekend when I come into town.
Rane, Support
Zach S 8:28 PM - 27 September, 2007
Cool.. let us know if you need any more help. I'm going to close this discussion for now.