DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Korg Zero 4 999$ !!!

Mad Erb 2:38 PM - 20 September, 2007
www.amazon.com
(NO LOGOUT)

Korg Zero 4 vs. TTm 57sl ?
Will it be possible to crossafade video with the Zero 4 when 1.8 drops?
Its really buggin me that the Zero 4 doesnt have a send recieve loop for external effects !!!
tig ol' bitties 2:40 PM - 20 September, 2007
Quote:
www.amazon.com
(NO LOGOUT)

Korg Zero 4 vs. TTm 57sl ?
Will it be possible to crossafade video with the Zero 4 when 1.8 drops?
Its really buggin me that the Zero 4 doesnt have a send recieve loop for external effects !!!

is that a serious ?

I would take the 57 even if the korg was 500 bucks. jsut me tho.
SELECT 2:53 PM - 20 September, 2007
Korg- Lots of effects buttons and knobs for the EDM cats.

Rane- Magnetic faders all around and effects.

Rane wins again.

Peace.
The E Head 4:39 PM - 20 September, 2007
I am an EDM dj but i like PRO gear, therefore stick the korg somewhere the sun don't shine:)
Rebelguy 4:53 PM - 20 September, 2007
Different mixer for different application. People shouldn't jump to conclusions regarding a product if they haven't tested it out.

Is it a scratch mixer? No but its not trying to be one. It does have a version of the ProX fader though.

Will the effects walk all over anything the 57 has now? Yes and probably will continue to. We have yet to see any new effects added and its been more than a year.

If it were Gemini or Numark I would laugh out loud but Korg makes some damn good products. From what I gathered from their customer service person they are behind the mixers 100%.
Dj BuddyLove 4:59 PM - 20 September, 2007
i kinda like the zero4..but dont like the color combination.
greeen & orange uggg!! if it were blue & red cool!!

im sticking to getting my xone3d.
Dj BuddyLove 5:00 PM - 20 September, 2007
i kinda like the zero4..but dont like the color combination.
greeen & orange uggg!! if it were blue & red cool!!

im sticking to getting my xone3d.
SELECT 5:53 PM - 20 September, 2007
I watched the video of it on the pro dj forums.
www.prodjforums.com

If you like effects & midi than the Korg is for you. Like the Torq guy always says.. it allows you to be more creative.

Im not knocking it, I really like the layout and the light scheme is DOPE!!!!! Korg makes some great keyboards, but I dont know about mixers. Would I buy it over a Rane 57, nah. If I were an EDM DJ though.. I would definitly consider it.
Rebelguy 6:12 PM - 20 September, 2007
Please note...from what I have been hearing the Amazon dealer with that price is selling refurbished units that carry no warranty. Proceed with caution.
AdamJay 6:23 PM - 20 September, 2007
the TTM57SL has 3 times the warranty as the Zero 4... just a thought.
Rebelguy 6:35 PM - 20 September, 2007
The Korg has 3 times the features as the 57...just another thought.

Let's be realistic about the warranties. If the unit doesn't break in the first year it probably will hold its own. From there its just wear and tear. If you are not abusive on your mixer it will last.

Besides, the Korg is not competing against the 57. It would be competing against the DJM-800 or other 4 channel mixer.
SELECT 6:47 PM - 20 September, 2007
Only time will tell if the Korg can hold some weight. The DJM 800 is the king of the nightclubs... slowly being replaced by the 57, lol.
AdamJay 6:54 PM - 20 September, 2007
i think your claim that the Zero 4 has 3 times the features of the 57 is way off.

the 57 comes with a software interface called Serato Scratch Live.
there's a shit ton of features in there bro... You don't get those with the Zero 4.

but regardless... go ahead and buy it... Korg's track record in the dj mixer market is so well proven, plus along with the measley 1 year warranty... no reasons for second thoughts at all... it's a sure thing!!

pfffffft!

c'mon guys... even in the synth market Korg is on the low end of the spectrum.
use your brains.
Rebelguy 9:02 PM - 20 September, 2007
Quote:
i think your claim that the Zero 4 has 3 times the features of the 57 is way off.

there's a shit ton of features in there bro... You don't get those with the Zero 4.

but regardless... go ahead and buy it... Korg's track record in the dj mixer market is so well proven, plus along with the measley 1 year warranty... no reasons for second thoughts at all... it's a sure thing!!

pfffffft!

use your brains.

Why is it so far off to believe it has 3 times the features? Its got the 57 beat in the effects department hands down. Even more because you can assign a different effect to each channel. It has midi control of every channel and the ability to decide between full midi, full audio or a split of the two.

Will I buy it...probably. I have a Serato box already and can control all the features from the Korg via midi-translator and then via 1.8 when it is released.

I have a 57 also and will doing a comparison when I get the other but like I said above...it's a different machine for a different application. I really don't see how it would be a comparison that would be fair given the differences between the two mixers.

When did Korg end up on the low end of the synth market? You got to be joking right? Let's see, there is the Triton, the M3, the OASYS and the MicroKorg to name a few.
AdamJay 9:07 PM - 20 September, 2007
sorry, i'm used to using really good synths like Cwejman, Blacet, Analogue Solutions... Just lost my Studio Electronics SE-1 due to a hike in property taxes..

So i guess Korg's beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Rebelguy 9:33 PM - 20 September, 2007
Quote:
sorry, i'm used to using really good synths like Cwejman, Blacet, Analogue Solutions... Just lost my Studio Electronics SE-1 due to a hike in property taxes..

AdamJay...those are all EXCELLENT CHOICES but are very specialized in their sounds and use. I was speaking more of all around sound units.

My condolences on the SE-1. You can get some WICKED Bass out of the unit.
The E Head 7:09 AM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Only time will tell if the Korg can hold some weight. The DJM 800 is the king of the nightclubs... slowly being replaced by the 57, lol.

Maybe in the hiphop side of thing, until rane listen to what there customer have asked ie. a 4 channel mixer it ain't ever going to happen on the EDM side
Beale Dabbs 7:17 AM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:

I have a lot of high end synths (Kyma, SE, AS, Vermona, Elektron, etc..) but the cheap ones have their place as well. The same goes with mixers. Cost isn't always the best indicator of sonic usefulness. The Korg looks legit. Look at the dominance of the MicroKorg. It's already becoming a classic and it's cheap as hell.

Sorry about your SE-1. My SE-1x is going to the grave with me. My Kyma is probably going up for sale soon, though.
Mad Erb 5:56 PM - 21 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

pfffffft!

use your brains.

Why is it so far off to believe it has 3 times the features? Its got the 57 beat in the effects department hands down. Even more because you can assign a different effect to each channel. It has midi control of every channel and the ability to decide between full midi, full audio or a split of the two.

Will I buy it...probably. I have a Serato box already and can control all the features from the Korg via midi-translator and then via 1.8 when it is released.

I have a 57 also and will doing a comparison when I get the other but like I said above...it's a different machine for a different application. I really don't see how it would be a comparison that would be fair given the differences between the two mixers.

When did Korg end up on the low end of the synth market? You got to be joking right? Let's see, there is the Triton, the M3, the OASYS and the MicroKorg to name a few.

Yes Yes Yall! Zero 4 looks like so much fun...hopefully the faders are solid.
Rebelguy do you think it will be able to crossfade video for 1.8?

Damn...I wish 1.8. was coming soon......

ps: Korg R3 is the truth !!!
jayo 3:48 PM - 22 September, 2007
Hi I am jayo from prodjforums..

And yes the zero has its flaws... HOWEVER, these few flaws are extremely over powered by the features of this mixer..
This mixer is not for hardcore scratch guys...

EDM guys will love this thing.. As I do..
How does this stack up against the djm-800? Well you can't really compare the two..
The korg zero 4 has a 18 on 8 ASIO via firewire (dual firewire for chaining additional items), pioneer has no built in ASIO.

Korgs midi is selectable per channel (no chance for double mapping a midi command to a analog control in use.. (turn it to midi and it is midi, turn it back and it is anolog. With two midi variations for audio/midi and straight midi use.)

Also the Pioneer only has midi send via a DIN plug, so you still need something like a M-audio UNO to get that info translated to your pc.. Korg has DIN midi plugs in and out, also the korg can send and receive midi via firewire.

Need I mention separate effects racks per channel with master effect and sampler, were as the effects can be used on any source: mic, guitar, phono, line, cdline, and audio feed from your pc via firewire..) Pioneer is not giving you this.

As to the 57, I am not going to say that it is better than the 57.. Why because that is like saying your car is better than my truck.. (well I live in the country so I say the truck beats your car in the winter) These are two extremely different mixers designed to do different things..

Will you be able to crossfade video.. Well the crossfader on the korg is midi mappable so it will be up to Serato if you can use it or not.

Any questions drop by prodjforums and we will be happy to answer them..
Seegweed 11:33 AM - 26 September, 2007
Hi jayo, good to see you here and thanks for dropping in and clear things up regarding the zero4.
See you at pdf.
blackavenger 12:45 PM - 26 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

pfffffft!

use your brains.

Yes Yes Yall! Zero 4 looks like so much fun...hopefully the faders are solid.
Rebelguy do you think it will be able to crossfade video for 1.8?

Damn...I wish 1.8. was coming soon......

ps: Korg R3 is the truth !!!

Well, if you're asking if the cross/up faders are MIDI mappable.......that is an affirmative (yes they are). As for the quality of the crossfader......my boy has the 56, and he states that my Zero4 has much smoother/more precise faders than his 56!

By the way:

I returned my unit for a replacement.....all issues w' sound quality, over-heating, and curve adjustment were absolved. It's pretty obvious that my previous unit was a lemon. Everything is great now, well except for the Monitor Balance issue, though I hear that is being addressed.

@ Mad Erb......get it, it rocks (especially for Electro effecting)
Seegweed 11:22 PM - 26 September, 2007
Quote:

By the way:

I returned my unit for a replacement.....all issues w' sound quality, over-heating, and curve adjustment were absolved. It's pretty obvious that my previous unit was a lemon. Everything is great now, well except for the Monitor Balance issue, though I hear that is being addressed.

@ Mad Erb......get it, it rocks (especially for Electro effecting)

Have you noticed if the problem with the way to low TRS-inputs are solved in your replacement?
blackavenger 4:56 AM - 1 October, 2007
Quote:
Have you noticed if the problem with the way to low TRS-inputs are solved in your replacement?

Don't use them, so I can't say.....sorry.