DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Novation Dicer broken link fault ***WARNING***

beezwax 4:16 PM - 23 September, 2011
My dicer link cable got disconnected accidentally and now they are broken and I can only use one at a time :-(

I've seen the warnings on this forum and the Novation website, so I kind of expected it to be a common problem, but it doesn't seem so. Anyone else broken theirs??

It will get sorted under warranty (2 months left thankfully!) but it's a bit of a ballache as I need to send them back to the original dealer (in a different country unfortunately) with proof of purchase etc....

Just spoken to Novation and they will only repair them free of charge inside the one year warranty.
Outside of that it's not really worth it as it would cost over £50 including shipping.
Warranty repairs need to be returned by the original dealer, with proof of purchase.

So anyway, if you're thinking of buying them then:

a) make sure the link cable never gets disconnected when powered up
b) buy from a local dealer if you can, even if it costs more
djpuma_gemini 4:28 PM - 23 September, 2011
I bought mine from GC and bought the 2 year warranty just in case.

You can unplug them while powered up, but you cannot unplug the dicers from each other.
Have them plugged together (dicer to dicer) first and last. Only unlplug or plugin the dicers if both are daisy chained together.
DJ Luminous 3:28 AM - 10 October, 2011
this seems like a pretty serious design flaw. is that just me?
Manny C dot com 5:55 AM - 10 October, 2011
Epoxy.
WarpNote 3:38 PM - 10 October, 2011
Gaffa... ;-)
beezwax 11:04 PM - 10 October, 2011
i think it is a serious design flaw and i'm surprised that they haven't managed to fix it yet.

however, the dicers are so amazing (and so cheap!) that i'm happy to let them off.....

;-)
Dj matty k 1:12 AM - 11 October, 2011
I did read about this a few weeks ago and very carefull now :-)
RAYSH 3:44 AM - 11 October, 2011
Quote:
however, the dicers are so amazing (and so cheap!) that i'm happy to let them off.....

+1
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:01 AM - 11 October, 2011
Careful how you disconnect them guys! Make sure you unplug the USB from the computer first. You might want to check out our FAQ : serato.com
SiRocket 10:26 AM - 11 October, 2011
pretty bad design flaw if you ask me......
beezwax 11:20 AM - 11 October, 2011
apparently it doesn't break them every time, i was just unlucky.

i was surprised that the dealers i spoke to were not aware of the problem but maybe that means it's not a big enough issue for them to make a change in the design/manufacture yet....
DJ Luminous 10:07 PM - 11 October, 2011
yeah i don't think i have been particularly careful about this process the entire time i have had them (about 9 months now) and it just caused a problem within the last two weeks. both of the dicers work fine alone if you plug them in direct to the computer, but they do not seem to want to work together. i feel like if this is a problem they should probably do a better job of making sure djs plug and unplug correctly, although, i don't really think this is on us as deejays, as I am usually pretty tipsy by the time I start packing up. they should have known this. is there anyway to like reset them or anything or is the only option sending them in for warranty repair?
beezwax 10:20 AM - 12 October, 2011
warranty repair only i'm afraid. that's exactly the same fault that i had.

it's pretty easy to accidentally disconnect them in use, or during pack up so i'm considering hard wiring mine once the warranty runs out.

otherwise, there's always duct tape ;-)
WarpNote 5:35 PM - 12 October, 2011
Quote:
Gaffa... ;-)

As said, anything and everything can be fixed with a bit of gaffer tape/gaffer's tape/gaff tape/gaffa tape. And if you can't fix it, you just need MORE tape.
Sherlock voice: "Elementary my dear Watson" ;)
> en.wikipedia.org
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:08 PM - 13 October, 2011
It doesn't happen everytime but it's best not to risk it and disconnect them from the computer first everytime.
DJ Stoyvo 1:32 AM - 14 October, 2011
it's happened to me already. Careful that the dicers are connected together first THEN to the computer, then disconnect the dicers and then from together
Dax 12:02 PM - 21 October, 2011
me too,last night broke down set up for a spring clean and a rearrange of laptop and controllers
and now today one of my dicer's is glowing orange and doing nothing.
SiRocket 6:07 PM - 21 October, 2011
this is a huge design #fail... stinks that if they are out of warranty and they fail because of a FLAW that you have to eat the cash...
DJ Super Mario 8:08 PM - 21 October, 2011
^^This +1000000
Dax 9:56 AM - 22 October, 2011
Quote:
this is a huge design #fail... stinks that if they are out of warranty and they fail because of a FLAW that you have to eat the cash...

tell me about it!!!!! i got mine the 1st week they were out.
DJ Bolo Yun 10:01 AM - 23 December, 2011
Will someone explain to if my dicers are failing or the actual wire connecting them together is flawed. apparently my dicer connected to the lap top works but, then the other one doesn't. I switched out the order the dicers were connected and now the other dicer that didn't work is working. For some reason power is getting through the other dicer. I just recently found out about these connecting and disconnecting dicers can affect them to not work anymore.
kryptonitednb 11:53 AM - 23 December, 2011
Mine are broken too. How do you make a warranty claim?
djdalite 5:21 PM - 23 December, 2011
Wtf have they fixed this yet? I was about to buy a pair now I'm having second thoughts
DJ Goce 5:29 PM - 23 December, 2011
I just got my old pair from a repair shop, the shortcut which happens when you unplug the link cable while connected to usb burns down some small capacitors labeled l1, they removed them from the path (Not authorized Novation service:)) and the dicers work...
I bought a new pair in meantime:(
Justin Styles 9:57 PM - 27 December, 2011
I think I've had one of my dicers fall off of a cdj almost every other dj set for the past year. I must have just been really lucky. Maybe I have an updated set?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 4:47 AM - 4 January, 2012
Quote:
Will someone explain to if my dicers are failing or the actual wire connecting them together is flawed. apparently my dicer connected to the lap top works but, then the other one doesn't. I switched out the order the dicers were connected and now the other dicer that didn't work is working. For some reason power is getting through the other dicer. I just recently found out about these connecting and disconnecting dicers can affect them to not work anymore.

Are you on Windows? What Rane hardware you using? Check you aren't running into this issue : serato.com If you are you will need to connect the Dicers in to a USB hub and the Rane hardware directly into the computer's USB port.
kryptonitednb 3:04 AM - 10 January, 2012
Quote:
Mine are broken too. How do you make a warranty claim?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 3:08 AM - 10 January, 2012
You will need to get in touch with either the dealer that you purchased it from or someone at Novation who can point you in the right direction. I can't seem to find a support number for them but perhaps you can contact them via this link : novationmusic.com
Shiny_D 9:25 AM - 18 August, 2012
Quote:
I just got my old pair from a repair shop, the shortcut which happens when you unplug the link cable while connected to usb burns down some small capacitors labeled l1, they removed them from the path (Not authorized Novation service:)) and the dicers work...

Hi!

I have same problem, L1 inductor is broken, but guy from service told me that he cannot fix it even if he pull out L1.

Can you please take a picture of opened dicer (closeup to that fixed L1 area) and send it to me? If I show him how your service did that, maybe he will fix it
Dziadek 4:02 PM - 6 January, 2013
Quote:
Quote:

Hi!

I have same problem, L1 inductor is broken, but guy from service told me that he cannot fix it even if he pull out L1.

Can you please take a picture of opened dicer (closeup to that fixed L1 area) and send it to me? If I show him how your service did that, maybe he will fix it

I have the same request, becouse I have broken L1 coil in both dicers?

There is picture of my dicer inside ... i48.tinypic.com
Shiny_D 11:54 PM - 22 January, 2013
I forgot to tell you guys, I solved problem with dicer. Anyone can take dicer to service for mobile phones or some SMD components. Thing was that both L1 inductors were bad.. After replacement of those elements, dicers work just fine :) Repairment costs were 6-7euros..

Cheers! ;)
Sonik303 2:40 PM - 4 July, 2013
Any idea on specs for replacement L1??

Quote:
I forgot to tell you guys, I solved problem with dicer. Anyone can take dicer to service for mobile phones or some SMD components. Thing was that both L1 inductors were bad.. After replacement of those elements, dicers work just fine :) Repairment costs were 6-7euros..

Cheers! ;)
Marv Incredible 9:57 PM - 11 July, 2013
Just blew mine! Damnit. When I read this thread the other day I was like 'oh yeah, I forgot they did that. Better be a bit more vigilant', as I had what I now realise was a premonition that something would go wrong.

And next time I go to use them, I plug them in without being paired. First time in nearly 3 years. Oh well, I guess they'll do for parts now. :(
sinesthetix 11:45 PM - 15 July, 2013
Quote:
Epoxy.

Tried it? I would do that without hesitation if I was confident it wouldn't create its own set of problems, ie poor conductivity

Not knowing much about whether or not it would f with my s; do you think it would work?
Dj Fergy 4:25 AM - 27 August, 2013
We repair this problem quite frequently at Technics 1200 Project, check us out on Face Book. The issue is with the common mode choke on circuit L1in which your slave Dicer does not respond and occasionally L2 master Dicer is shorted. We repair this problem and the cost is $16.00 plus $7.00 Flat Rate Shipping for both Dicers. Let us know if we can help. Bill Ferguson
Vini Gonzalez 4:05 AM - 22 October, 2013
After only one day of use one of dicers is faulty.
They're not completely dead.
One of the sockets seems poorly weldered.
Interesting is that when I hold up the connector, it resets them and they work.
Here's a video (recorded with a phone).
youtu.be
djmatman 7:55 PM - 18 November, 2013
I have 2 dead pairs of dicers now, one out of warranty and one pair bought second hand, the second pair I am sure I did not even disconnect incorrectly, but have developed the same fault!

Anyone know where I can get them repaired in the UK (preferably London)??
Marv Incredible 9:18 PM - 18 November, 2013
I'd like to know that too. I'm in London and have just talked to my local repair guy about doing them, but he needs to know the value of the L1 Inductors. Asked me to try and find a schematic for the dicers.
He just fixed an SL3 box for me so I'm hoping he can do something with these, even if we have to end up bypassing the L1s.
SeriousCyrus 10:49 PM - 18 November, 2013
I had no idea it was possible to break the dicers unplugging cables in the wrong order. I must have been lucky to get away with it.
Dj matty k 11:13 PM - 18 November, 2013
Quote:
I had no idea it was possible to break the dicers unplugging cables in the wrong order. I must have been lucky to get away with it.

Yeah it is , but only the link cable before the USB cable :-(
Dj Fergy 1:52 AM - 19 November, 2013
The problem is a shorted common mode choke on the L1. I have repaired quite a lot of Dicers. Novation changed there CMC last year to help solve this problem. I purchase my chokes through Wurth Electronics part number 732-1469-1-ND. It is a 370 ohm 28amp choke. I hope this helps.
SiRocket 2:49 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
The problem is a shorted common mode choke on the L1. I have repaired quite a lot of Dicers. Novation changed there CMC last year to help solve this problem. I purchase my chokes through Wurth Electronics part number 732-1469-1-ND. It is a 370 ohm 28amp choke. I hope this helps.

Good info right here! thanks fergy!
Dax 7:14 AM - 19 November, 2013
Quote:
I have 2 dead pairs of dicers now, one out of warranty and one pair bought second hand, the second pair I am sure I did not even disconnect incorrectly, but have developed the same fault!

Anyone know where I can get them repaired in the UK (preferably London)??

when mine broke i got on to Novation and kicked up a stink about it breaking due to design flaw.i couldn't find anything in the novation/dicer manual about plugging them in the right way(dont know if this has changed now) so got a new pair for free.
Brendon - Taranaki 10:52 AM - 25 April, 2014
Any contacts for service in New Zealand? Any help appreciated! Thanks
MurilloFagioli 8:58 PM - 19 July, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

Hi!

When you remove L1, have to make two jumpers on the place of the component.
Gadgetz 1:27 PM - 21 March, 2015
Has anyone done the repair with the bridge successfully and could you post or email a picture please.
gadgetz@djonly.co.uk
My chap is just doing this but has resulted in a non responsive dicer that previously worked on its own.
He is great at this kind if thing too so I trust his ability.
Brendon - Taranaki 12:23 AM - 21 April, 2015
Sorry no luck. Got told by sales agent it was cheaper to replace than to repair.
DJ Boxx 6:52 PM - 4 February, 2016
What's really crazy is in the Dicer manual that comes with them they say to first plug into the USB port of your computer and then link the two dicers afterwards.. I'm confident this is how my first pair broke.

www.performanceaudio.com
(Read here on page 4)

They should really fix this in the manual at least!
DJ Keelo 12:09 PM - 26 March, 2016
I've been looking for a fix for my pair for over a year now.. Tried using a powered usb hub and the slave unit actually lit-up and started working after waiting a few minutes.. Tried plugging in the Dicers directly to my Mac and voila! Same thing happened- albeit a bit longer without them going through the powered usb hub. Turns out they still work but with a delay in the slave unit powering up.. Hope this helps...
DJ Keelo 11:53 AM - 28 March, 2016
Quote:
I've been looking for a fix for my pair for over a year now.. Tried using a powered usb hub and the slave unit actually lit-up and started working after waiting a few minutes.. Tried plugging in the Dicers directly to my Mac and voila! Same thing happened- albeit a bit longer without them going through the powered usb hub. Turns out they still work but with a delay in the slave unit powering up.. Hope this helps...

update:

Seems the 'fix' was only temporary- tried again the next day and same issue with the slave unit.. still troubleshooting what made them work the day before :P
max_imus 10:41 AM - 13 June, 2016
Quote:
Novation changed there CMC last year to help solve this problem.

Are you saying that newer models no longer break if you plug/unplug them the wrong way?

I have 3 dicer units, all of which I seemingly have burned in the way described in this thread. If I have a fourth one that is working, and use that one as a master and one of the bricked ones as a slave, is there any danger of damaging the good one?
Greedy Knowledge 1:30 PM - 13 June, 2016
Not to sure. I would not take the risk. I would consider taking it to a cell phone repair shop. What I heard happens is that a capacitor burns out. Have that capacitor replaced and your dicer should be in good shape.
max_imus 8:00 AM - 15 June, 2016
Quote:
The problem is a shorted common mode choke on the L1. I have repaired quite a lot of Dicers. Novation changed there CMC last year to help solve this problem.

I have no idea what you mean by 'help solve this problem', I can only assume you mean help in replacing the parts. Because I contacted Novation, and they clearly stated that the hardware is still the same, thus it is still absolutely necessary to always connect the mini-jack cable first. So your statement is misleading at best.
djmatman 10:18 PM - 18 July, 2016
I now have 3 broken pairs :(

They all work individually, but the slave will not function. Tried different leads too but no joy.
max_imus 9:28 AM - 19 July, 2016
This may be of interest to others. I got a free replacement from Novation. This seems only fair, since I could not have know how not to plug them in when I bought them - the manual actually listed the wrong order.
DJ Keelo 5:17 PM - 28 July, 2016
Woot! Found a 'workaround' for the issue with the slave unit not powering up. I tried using a powered usb hub to no avail.. Decided to try plugging in an Android cellphone usb charger to the slave unit (main unit plugged in to laptop) and it worked! This isn't a fix, but at least it will let me use both units as they should albeit an extra wire.. To make things less fussy, a powerbank for ipads/cellphones can be used for the slave unit if an extra AC outlet is an issue. :)
djmatman 4:53 PM - 29 July, 2016
Thanks Keelo your workaround worked!

In the meantime I have contacted novation since I have now shelled out for 3 pairs of these, waiting to see if they'll do anything about it !
DJ Keelo 1:10 PM - 30 July, 2016
Quote:
Thanks Keelo your workaround worked!

In the meantime I have contacted novation since I have now shelled out for 3 pairs of these, waiting to see if they'll do anything about it !

Glad to be of help Matman! Hoping this doesn't cause the slave unit to get burned-out due to redundant power sources though.. :P
EISEN 10:33 PM - 4 March, 2020
Just reading up on this. Not sure if they upgraded thier dicers since but I've had mine for 2 years. Many of time where I've d/C it without the procedures and they work fine. Sometimes they won't sync but all I do is unplug again and it works.

Was looking to buy a second pair but I hear now they are discontinued. Checked prices online and they've hit the roof!