Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Rane Mixer with SSL Scratch amp built in

DJ White Lightning 5:21 AM - 26 August, 2004
I want that and I am ready to pay for it right now.
Alexander 5:26 AM - 26 August, 2004
interesting!
DJ White Lightning 7:01 AM - 26 August, 2004
Right? All you gots ta do is plug in the usb and your off...
Alexander 7:38 AM - 26 August, 2004
you got a good point ....but that would only be good for mobile gigs...unless if you play at clubs which I do everyonce in a while you bring your SSL/Rane Mixer with you ?
DJ White Lightning 7:51 AM - 26 August, 2004
All I do is spin at clubs... No barmitzvahs here. but I always bring my coffin containing CDJ 1000's and a Pioneer DJM 600. Right now I am figuring out how to custom make a case to hold all of the above and the Bulky (cool, but Bulky) SSL Scratch Amp. So then I just plug in the USB and My mixer into the Club Mixer or XLR useage.
Alexander 8:07 AM - 26 August, 2004
I hear you bro. ....but usually when I play at a club they usually have the equipment setup already ....you know what I am saying?....I do have those gigs where I bring my own equipment to lounges and such but for clubs that already have a DJ booth setup sometimes connecting 2 decks to another mixer is a pain in the ass...it all depends on how the sound guy has his shit setup I guess....this one place all I had to do was plug into a patch bay which was dope! But not all place are like that.

As for Barmitzvahs and stuff like that ....it isn't my bag either! :)
djpetey 9:06 AM - 26 August, 2004
I was wondering this same thing with fs.... I think its a natural progression..... Im assuming theyre waiting for more ssl users.... Id buy a ttm 56 with built in scratch amp right now though
djpetey 9:07 AM - 26 August, 2004
a lot of people on this board seem to be pretty "do it yourself".... any ideas on how it could be possible to join the two pices together ourselves???
J-BRAVO 12:04 PM - 26 August, 2004
ttm with buily in SSL and computer (apple) would be cool. rane/apple collaboration plz.
djpetey 1:53 PM - 26 August, 2004
itd be cool, but how much would something like that have to cost? to cover R&D, itd have to be close to a 4 thousand dollar piece of equipment
BadCompany 3:24 PM - 26 August, 2004
yeah i agree rane mixer w/ an SLU built in would be CoOooOOoooOOoOoOOooL... www.scratchlive.net

To put one together yourself would require alot of capitol... serato or rane probably have it.... but dont know how many people would be able to afford it once it came out it would probably be 1500USD+ they would have to include SL records n all w/ the mixer... still a cool idea
DJ White Lightning 1:51 AM - 27 August, 2004
Alexander,

Firstly this idea will be done it is the next logical step for this product. And when it happens - I am gonna make the clubs that I work in buy it... That would literally be plug and play.
12micsn1 3:08 AM - 27 August, 2004
this product would be a specialty product that couldnt be massed produced an it would cost lost more money an maybe not sell well. I like the whole idea of adding firewire or usb to mixers. Show us a drawing of your design ideas in the future.
Alexander 7:19 AM - 27 August, 2004
Quote:
Alexander,

Firstly this idea will be done it is the next logical step for this product. And when it happens - I am gonna make the clubs that I work in buy it... That would literally be plug and play.

If this happens bro that would be great!
DJ White Lightning 9:57 PM - 27 August, 2004
Quote:
this product would be a specialty product that couldnt be massed produced an it would cost lost more money an maybe not sell well. I like the whole idea of adding firewire or usb to mixers. Show us a drawing of your design ideas in the future.

You are just talking to hear your self type... There is no basis in what you are saying. This is going to implementaed soon, it just makes sense. And the USB is only needed to connect CPU no firewire will be added- you will still need a cpu to plug into the mixer or to add fire wire HDs - the mixer is in no way going to replace the COMPUTER that makes no senseand as said earlier would be waaaay to expensive, so then you have to carry your mixer every where to add music to? Foolish. The whole point of the is to get rid of the extra compnent the Scratch Amp Interface and make it a part of the mixer, of course it would be a RANE mixer.
J-BRAVO 12:18 AM - 28 August, 2004
i mean a mixer with an APPLE built into it and a nice tilting LCD above the eq's
DJ White Lightning 2:39 AM - 28 August, 2004
Quote:
i mean a mixer with an APPLE built into it and a nice tilting LCD above the eq's

That is rediculous and will not happen. Why you you want a Bulky Mixer/Computer? So you have to carry this huge mixer / cpu and put all your songs in it. That is why laptops are made for - thin transportable design.
BadCompany 6:05 AM - 28 August, 2004
weeeeeeeeeeeeee eventually deejays will be so lazy they wont wanna carry record, walk to the club, shit even get out of bed, ...little alone spin records lets just have a walking talking serato robot that wakes up shits showers and shaves for you gets dressed makes your mix tape all after making you breakfast and before going to the club to spin your set while you sit at home and watch tv ;)
BadCompany 6:06 AM - 28 August, 2004
err that was kinda ass backwards but you get the point lol
DJ White Lightning 6:37 AM - 28 August, 2004
LoL @ BadCompany
12micsn1 3:53 AM - 2 September, 2004
i need to see a picture of this scratch amp
djpetey 6:33 PM - 2 September, 2004
Ive got a pretty good homemade version of this in the works..... its not as impressive as a rane mixer with the amp built in, but i found out that my scratch amp can fit underneath my rane ttm56 with I use my setup.... it makes it the same height as my technics in their travel cases.... so, I velcroed the scratch amp to the bottom of the mixer and bought really short rca cords to run permanently from the scratch amp to the mixer..... essentially, all I have to do is set plug it in, plug my tables in and turn on the computer..... its a good alternative to the mixer that rane might take their time with
capo di exmixah 9:18 AM - 13 July, 2005
excellent idea. i think the guys at rane should get cracking on that right away.
hard8 6:14 AM - 14 July, 2005
Great idea. I posted this on a forum that I moderate about a year ago. People were discussing the future of digital/vinyl hybrid systems and I predicted that Rane would do something like this within 5 years (mixer and scratch amp that is).

I thought that a 56 with SSL built in would be the way to go. Especially if they added the functionality of CD players right on the faceplate...

Imagine being able to do punch-in loops from one deck while the other is playing live and also have the ability to pitchbend that loop with the turntable while mixing it into the live track. How about being able to do that and then dump the loop off the record and load a new track or grab another loop while the previous one kept playing out in hardware from the mixers internal memory buffer? what about having the having a memory stick slot to store loops and samples that could be triggered anytime?..... The posibilities are pretty exciting.
That would make a $1500 mixer totally justified.

you guys should just hire me.
s42000 6:39 PM - 14 July, 2005
hired !! ... can you start Monday ?
You will have to stay at minimum wage and all sofwtare updates will be free for you :)
Skip-A-Beat 3:37 PM - 16 July, 2005
I hear that they are already on this... Rane is making a specialty mixer and already has a dj to represent the product...

but that's just hearsay... from a good source
Skip-A-Beat 5:42 PM - 16 July, 2005
to be specific a TTM56 with the Serato Interface built in...
nik39 8:25 PM - 16 July, 2005
I wouldnt buy such a mixer. Makes no real sense, having my SSL sticked to one specific mixer. Imagine I play in a club where I cant use my mixer cause the built in one cant be removed... does this mean I need to buy a 2nd SSL unit for that cases? Something modular would be okay, but definitly not something glued together, at least not for me.
Detroitbootybass 8:44 PM - 16 July, 2005
Yeah... who would want to bring their mixer to the club (in addition to their laptop, headphones, control vinyl, etc). Also, what would happen if something went wrong with the built-in SL1 or the mixer itself? You would be screwed because you couldn't use either until the all-in-one unit was fixed. Components are better because they allow the user to customize to their specific needs.
nik39 8:47 PM - 16 July, 2005
Ah good, I thought I was the only one not likeing that idea :-)
BassChamber 10:05 AM - 17 July, 2005
mmm you know, some (a lot of?) djs (ttablists, hip hop djs) take their mixers with them because they are used to it, or they play in a temporal stage (live concert). for those djs, a mixer with a SSL built in would be quite comfortable and easier to sep up.

the question that RANE people have to answer is: is out there enough market to make a SSL-built-in mixer profitable enough?

i dont really know, but it could be... when talking about creating a new product, we shouldnt think about our preferences only, we should think about the whole market.
nik39 8:31 PM - 17 July, 2005
Yes, and I think a modular thingie would be the best way to go, something that you easily attach to the back of the TTM56 for example but which enables you to also use it with any other mixer. But this is only my personal preference, from my (very limited) marketing POV this would be better.

Okay, I almost dont know anything about marketing. :-)
s42000 4:49 PM - 18 July, 2005
Marketing 101: Marketing is simply the You-didn't-ask-but-I'm-telling-you-anyway department of life.
J rock 8:58 PM - 19 July, 2005
Set up would be easier if all the dam plugs and shit were on only one side of the box! That way I could stand it on end making it a little more low profile, and easier to plug things in once I place it. (most small club/lounge DJ booths are quite tight on space.)
Also the power supply should not be an option but should have been included when I bought this shit. I use my Laptop for more than just DJing and am also recording my records into my computer. It is a pain to have to plug and unplug everything during the week. when I want to listen to records and am using my computer for something else!!!
(how much is the plug anyway?)
nik39 9:08 PM - 19 July, 2005
Quote:
Set up would be easier if all the dam plugs and shit were on only one side of the box!

I agree. :-)

Quote:
Also the power supply should not be an option but should have been included when I bought this shit.

I disagree, instead of paying an additional 50$ for different power supplies and packing I prefer buying my own, cause its much cheaper that way (they dont need to have different packages for different parts of the world where you need differen power supplies).
J rock 10:01 PM - 19 July, 2005
It could be auto switching power supply like my mac. The only thing you would need is the adaptor for the plug. Beside since I'm assuming Rane conducts business internationaly already I would think that that would not be to hard. (since it's not included you have to pay anyway.) And it's described as a club option for a permenant set up which downplays it's importaninse for personnal use.
J rock 10:02 PM - 19 July, 2005
yes I can't spell!
Detroitbootybass 10:32 PM - 19 July, 2005
I've never needed a power supply...
J rock 11:27 PM - 19 July, 2005
do you listen to records when your computer is somewhere else? or record into the same computer that your scratch live is hooked to?
Detroitbootybass 3:48 AM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:
do you listen to records when your computer is somewhere else? or record into the same computer that your scratch live is hooked to?

Yes.

Yes.

:-)
DJ 3pm 1:30 PM - 20 July, 2005
Quote:
And it's described as a club option for a permenant set up which downplays it's importaninse for personnal use.

i was equally disgruntled when i first got ssl and discovered i had to go to radio shack for this "optional" part. i have since discovered that like dbb said, not everyone needs one and it would be silly to make people pay for it that didn't really need it.

i have gone through 4 powerbooks since i got ssl a little over a year ago (my employer sells them as 'demo' models every couple months and keeps me fresh):
1st-needed power supply
2nd-didn't need it
3rd-needed it
4th-needs it sometimes

the 2nd & 3rd powerbooks were same exact model/specs, but both didn't need it. you should really be arguing the cost of the power supply with apple since they manufactured a sub-standard product; you just choose to do it hear because rane/serato actually listen to their customers and provide feedback.
J rock 3:06 PM - 20 July, 2005
I don't need it because of my G4 power book. I need it because I want to be able to leave my SSL box hooked up to my home setup and have the pass thru work. even if the box is pluged to my computer and close the program the thru's cut out. the pass thru should be independent from the software being turned on. Isn't that the point of a pass thru? it is unnessary wear for all the plugs.
Revolutionary 4:07 PM - 20 July, 2005
I think that it might be a Mac bug of some sort. Don't remember though.
DJ White Lightning 4:50 AM - 24 July, 2005
Quote:
Quote:
And it's described as a club option for a permenant set up which downplays it's importaninse for personnal use.

i was equally disgruntled when i first got ssl and discovered i had to go to radio shack for this "optional" part. i have since discovered that like dbb said, not everyone needs one and it would be silly to make people pay for it that didn't really need it.

i have gone through 4 powerbooks since i got ssl a little over a year ago (my employer sells them as 'demo' models every couple months and keeps me fresh):
1st-needed power supply
2nd-didn't need it
3rd-needed it
4th-needs it sometimes

the 2nd & 3rd powerbooks were same exact model/specs, but both didn't need it. you should really be arguing the cost of the power supply with apple since they manufactured a sub-standard product; you just choose to do it hear because rane/serato actually listen to their customers and provide feedback.

I disagree about power supply being macs fault. I have used 4 Laptop MAcs with SSL and I only needed the power supply with certain versions of SSL. Sam and AJ think otherwise and they clearly have much more knowledge than I, but I also remember when the Pitch Drift issue was first noticed and they thought it was not SSL but the WOW flutter on Turntables. Turned out to be a bad pressing of the first Vinyl. So that just goes to show they may be wrong about this. I otherwise can't explain why I have only needed to use the Power Supply with certian 1.3 and 1.4 versions. But With the latest version i need no power supply. And from reading this forum, whenever someone has a problem getting SSL toi recognize the SL1 interface - getting a power supply has fixed the problem.
DJ White Lightning 4:50 AM - 24 July, 2005
Quote:
Quote:

1st-needed power supply
2nd-didn't need it
3rd-needed it
4th-needs it sometimes

I disagree about power supply being macs fault. I have used 4 Laptop MAcs with SSL and I only needed the power supply with certain versions of SSL. Sam and AJ think otherwise and they clearly have much more knowledge than I, but I also remember when the Pitch Drift issue was first noticed and they thought it was not SSL but the WOW flutter on Turntables. Turned out to be a bad pressing of the first Vinyl. So that just goes to show they may be wrong about this. I otherwise can't explain why I have only needed to use the Power Supply with certian 1.3 and 1.4 versions. But With the latest version i need no power supply. And from reading this forum, whenever someone has a problem getting SSL toi recognize the SL1 interface - getting a power supply has fixed the problem.
nik39 10:15 AM - 24 July, 2005
On my pc it was independent from the version I used. Sometimes it needed the p/s and other times it didnt.
seratosnatch 9:23 AM - 25 July, 2005
this is a brilliant idea.
seratosnatch 9:24 AM - 25 July, 2005
but Rane would lose alot of hardware sales to dj's..
Tris Trust 11:15 PM - 25 July, 2005
i always new this was the future of mixing. just have a mixer and plug in an mp3 player and your set to mix for years
hologram 1:42 PM - 3 August, 2005
hmmm.....
OK best of both worlds. Make a new case for the ssl with a multipin audio/power connector. It would duplicate all the plugs on the ssl now. Then have the new mixer have the same type plug and an SSL insert switch. If you want to get fancy have it fit into the bottom of the mixer like a docking station. It could even draw some power from the mixer. That way you have an all in one (or if nothing else a one plug shot) for when you use your own mixer and could just take the SSL when your clubin. The new case and connector is all that would need to be modified on the ssl. It's just a duplicate set of audio conectors and power. It should be a 100 or 150 dollar upgrade. Then have all the new rane mixers have the plugin or dock on them.

OK back to the lab

-Hologram
s42000 6:26 PM - 4 August, 2005
Quote:
And while Rane has no marketing department, as far as this thread's original topic goes, you forget to ask "what else should be added to a mixer with SSL built in that's currently not supported (or even possible) that would be worthwhile adding to such a product?" That's the only clue you'll get...

Keep up the good work. Peace.

I have all my analysts pouring over this paragragh .. trying to figure out what's coming down the pipe from Steve's "clue" ...

As for Rane not having a Marketing dept, that's a revelation. How do you sell your stuff .. reputation only ?

I will refresh ya'll with the threads that have all the features requested on this "magical mixer". I hope Harry Porter over at Rane is conjuring up something. We patiently await Steve .. patiently.
Detroitbootybass 6:28 PM - 4 August, 2005
Built-in hardrive?
Chita79 5:16 PM - 5 August, 2005
have a removable HD option ;) (im sure most people would want 3.5" HD's for maximum storage as oppose to 2.5" laptop HD's)
AKIEM 5:15 PM - 6 August, 2005
Quote:

And while Rane has no marketing department, as far as this thread's original topic goes, you forget to ask "what else should be added to a mixer with SSL built in that's currently not supported (or even possible) that would be worthwhile adding to such a product?" That's the only clue you'll get...

Keep up the good work. Peace.

A to D
or
some hot keys
caramelnyc.com 10:16 PM - 1 October, 2005
to go back to a built-in amp into a mixer; I own a sound rental & install Co. in NYC, we specialize in DJ applications, many backline Co. here call us for the unusual gear that pops up on tech riders.

3 out of my 5 coffins have a serato amp in them, Serato is also incoroporated in ALL our new club installs and many of of the previous installs are now been outfited with Serato! this is how much in demand Serato is!

I think that the MP4 is great...having the amp built in, but, the features of the mixer are just not acceptable by most DJ's.

I think that ALL new Rane mixers should have a "Serato" version...the mp 44, the 2016, the Empath...

I view Serato as the new DJ revolution piece of gear, as was the CDJ 1000 in the last few years...it is only a matter of time untill it is a standard in a pro DJ set-up and is on every tech rider (already is in 1/3 of them) all major back-line Co. have called us for it (SIR, One Dream, Best...)

Rane R U reading? this should be at an install level...not just the bedrooms!

PS: on the power supply issue....yeah, it should come with it!
Detroitbootybass 12:03 PM - 4 October, 2005
Quote:

PS: on the power supply issue....yeah, it should come with it!

Why? Most people don't even need it! Plus, that cost would just be passed on to the consumer.
Dj Ace 9:37 AM - 27 December, 2005
I think a SSL amp built into a ttm 56 would be sweet! However for those of you who worry about connecting to house system at a club/concert worry no more. If you have to connect to house system simply bring your "old" scratch amp. But when a gig requires you to bring your own system, break out your TTM 56 with the SSL amp built in!

I also think Rane will offer a discount for current SSL and/or TTM 56 customers as an incentive. This would help make the ttm 56 and SSL standard the standard in clubs!
P33J 1:37 AM - 30 December, 2005
check out www.skratchworx.xom---some guy has already done that as a mod...it should be in the archives somewhere but there are pics and everything, its really amazing =D
P33J 1:38 AM - 30 December, 2005
mere 12:50 AM - 1 January, 2006
cant find it
clkshp 7:10 AM - 8 January, 2006
make the Rane mixer a 56i with the capability of outputting 24/96 sound quality.
mexicannnnnn 8:37 AM - 19 February, 2006
I think we can check this one off the list.
Thundercat 5:31 PM - 19 February, 2006
Ya think? 8¬D
skinnyguy 9:10 AM - 16 May, 2008
*bump*

haha. just for kicks. =P