Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

V7 won't hold cue position

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark V7
Computer
PC
OS
Platform
-
DJ Demolition 12:24 AM - 23 September, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 2.0.1
Hardware: numark-v7
Computer: pc
OS Version: vista64
---

This is not actually a software related problem, so technically this post is off-topic. However, I been been trying to get Numark support to address this issue for almost three months, and their response has pretty much been to simply ignore me. Consequently, I have decided to put it on the table here, in hopes that someone else may have encountered the same fault and be able to help me.

I have two new V7s. One works perfect, the other acts as if the platter is un-damped. I.e., when you press the cue button the platter will quickly come to a stop, yet then continues to bounce back and forth slightly, (about the distance between two of the marks on the platter's outer edge) so that after the software audio freeze times out, it is still moving, and the track usually ends up about a half beat off from the actual cue point, and I always have to remember to hit the corresponding hot-cue button, or manually reposition the downbeat.

Anyone..?
dizzyrocks2001 12:42 PM - 23 September, 2011
Wow, that's messed up. I have 2 V7's myself but have never had any problems, so I guess I'm responding so at least someone responds ;) I'm sure you've already tried it but have you tried removing the platter and re-installing it. Your problem sounds more like a motor related issue but maybe the platter isn't sitting properly.
Numark, Support
NumarkJoe 12:45 PM - 23 September, 2011
Hello DJ Demolition,

Does this happen only when you have both of your V7's linked together? If you use them individually do you still experience the issue with this specific unit?

Best Regards,
Joe
DJ Demolition 2:00 PM - 23 September, 2011
Thank you for responding.

In answer: Together, or separately, they behave the same. Changing software has no effect either, as I have tried them with VDJ.

The motor just seems "undamped". That is; it feels like there is no damping or friction to keep the windings from bouncing back and forth naturally like a spring between the magnet poles. You can even feel it (the slight magnetic field effect) when the power is off. Also, if I spin the platter by hand with the unit off, it will still bounce back and forth after it comes to a stop in that direction. The other one does it too, but the effect is so small that it doesn't present a real problem, although it will move out enough sometimes to cause the cue button to start flashing.
DJ Demolition 1:33 AM - 1 October, 2011
Well Guys,.. I've solved this problem to my satisfaction. Fortunately, I'm a bit of a hacker, and being an engineer (my real job) I have designed and built a certain amount of CNC servo controlled machinery, which operates on many of the same principles involved in these controller/players.

I'm certain that the warranty is now void after my modifications, but from what (non) help I've been able to get from the Numark people so far,.. I'd say that is a VERY moot point. This mod should actually be available as a Serato software option, but I was forced to accomplish it via the hardware.

Anyway, what I've done is: my motors never shut off now. When the tables ramp to a stop, the servo holds the platter at zero rpm. I can now spin the records to find my cue, but the platter remains stationary and resists movement.

This mode is not what I was originally after, but after I did the first one, I realized that I actually liked it much better that way. So.., they work great now. When I hit cue, the platters stop on cue, and never move until I press play again. Back in business!
Scott Carpenter 5:30 AM - 4 October, 2011
Wow, This should for sure be an option in the software.
DJ Demolition 5:21 PM - 9 October, 2011
Update:

Finally received a reply from some service company affiliated with Numark. The following is our conversation...:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------

Marcus, I don't think there's any way I could be more dissatisfied with the (lack of) attention I have received from Numark regarding this product issue. People like me use those products to make our living. It is vitally important that they work properly and as advertized. Our income and reputation depend on it to a very large extent.

These controllers are not cheap (I paid $1500 for my pair). And, they are advertised as a professional offering. I have made every effort to contact someone at Numark in order to find an effective solution for this failure. If a problem exists with their functionality, Numark certainly bears the duty to address that problem in a timely and professional manner. In my case, I have been simply ignored for over three months.

You have now sent me this offer for phone consultation. Well, I do appreciate that, and it's possible that you may have even been able to provide some help in that way. However, that is a non-issue at this late date. As, the problem became such an annoyance that I was forced to take matters into my hands and make some fairly radical hardware modifications on my own.

I'm certain that the warranty is now void, however due to my own efforts, the controllers are usable tools now. I really can't see that it (the voided warranty) matters a great deal.., seeing that I have been totally unable to get any service at all from your company up to today.., I have no reason to believe that situation will change in the future.

In summation; I don't feel that I've received even common courtesy from Numark regarding my attempts to contact them in this (the only) instance, nor do I take that sort of disrespect lightly. As a consequence, you (all) can be certain that this will not remain just our little secret. I will endeavor to make sure that all other "consumers" on the internet are aware of the inherent problems with this product. Including Numark's delinquent service policies and their reluctance to address those issues.

P.S.

The Serato software provided with the V7 is not 100% up to par either. Although it compares quite favorably with the other products available on the market (at this time), there are issues. Probably the biggest being, that it is not "seamlessly integrated" with the hardware as advertized.

The motorized platters of the V7 and NS7, apparently are a little more than the software was originally designed to handle. As a result, 'the one size fits all' ITCH program is not fully integrated with these particular controllers.

People like me spend big bucks to purchase the flagship (best) product, and end up having to take a back seat to others who only spent half as much. This makes for some unhappy customers...

...just one more thing Numark needs to take a hard look at, before someone like Stanton, Denon, or even some no-name Chinese company comes along and 'blows your doors off'. Understand that we need tools that we can depend on to get the job done. And, hopefully, we'd like to do it just a little better than the next guy. Obviously those of us who care, will spend our money in that direction.

Think about it.

Steven Richmond Sr.

On 10/5/2011 3:02 PM, Teixeira, Marcus wrote:
> Hello,
>
>
> Perhaps your issue could be better resolved over the phone. Our Technical Support Dept. is available between the hours of 8:30am – 6:30pm EST, Monday through Friday (except holidays) at 401.658.3743.
>
> Or you can reply back with your phone # and I’ll call you.
>
>
> Best regards,
>
> Marcus Teixeira
> Technical Support & Return Authorizations
> Akai Pro | Alesis |▲lto Professional | ION Audio | MixMeister | Numark
> 200 Scenic View Dr., Cumberland, RI 02864
> P: 401.658.3743
> www.ionaudio.com
> www.akaipro.com
> www.alesis.com
> www.altoproaudio.com
> www.mixmeister.com
> www.numark.com
>  Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail.
>
> -Due to the high volume of email please include all original messages when replying to this message.
> Please allow 24-72 hours for a response.
>
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> Question/Comment :
> One of my V7s will not return to cue properly. It has been this way since new. When I press the cue button, the platter brakes to a stop normally. However, it wants to oscillate slightly for a second or so, afterward.
>
> The software initially freezes the waveform in the cued position, but it is timed to release after about 400 milliseconds. Therefore, when it performs the release, the platter is still moving back & forth. Consequently, the platter always moves the track out of cue by as much as 1/2 beat...
>
> I always have to manually reposition the cue point, which is quite an annoyance.
>
> The other V7 works fine, and I bought both of them as a pair, from Guitar Center.
>
> What can I do that will address the damping problem on this deck?
>
>
> Attention :
> (US) Technical Support & Service
>
> Host :
>
>
> hidden_10 :
>
>
> ------- end of email -------
>
>
Numark, Support
NumarkMatt 1:25 PM - 11 October, 2011
Hi DJ Demolition,
Sorry to hear of your experience and delay with your submitted support inquiry, please accept my apologies on behalf of Numark.

This is the first question in regards to this since the NS7 or V7 came to market as this should not have any effect on live performance. In regards to the slight movement of the platter comming to a stop, that is how our V7 and NS7 operate. While thier is less than an 1/8th of an inch of movement (give or take) it should not have any affect on your performance.

In your specific case it seems as if it is troublesome to you as we all perform differently. I will take the information you provided and send it to our development team for review. As this is somthing that has not came up in the past and has not caused troubles to other users I can not promise any changes will be implemented, but I can promise they will be made aware of your trouble.
DJ Demolition 1:38 AM - 12 October, 2011
You know something, Matt..; I'm not especially smart, in fact I see myself making mistakes all day long, every day. However, I do aim for perfection, as that gives me a great goal to strive for. Meanwhile, most of the people I have contend with in this life, make my existence here a living hell.., mainly due to the sheer ignorance and stupidity that they unfortunately display on a constant basis.

I'm not sure why you chose to address my post at all. What you've said, is that it's supposedly 'normal' for a turntable platter to oscillate at rest (funny that my 1200s don't exhibit that sort of behavior). And that (surprise!) I'm the only one who's ever complained... Ha... How would you know.., if you people just ignore all the help requests anyway...

Further, you say that you will pass this info along. That perhaps someone there at Numark who matters, might actually hear one of their customers complaints. And, that just maybe, even though only one freak has ever considered it to be an issue.., they might even implement some changes in those controllers at some future date.

Well, well... Did you expect me to get excited about that..? [sigh] In what way will I benefit? Answer: None... I won't. Numark will. I've already made the changes on my units...

If you'll re-read my post here and the help request that was entered at the Numark site, you may see how I clearly stated that one of the controllers worked tolerably well. However the other one would end up a half beat off cue each time. Perhaps it's only Numark representatives who can't see the (quite obvious) issue there. Give me a break...

I think it's also worth noting within this particular post, that both copies of my above posted reply bounced back to me. The one to the second Numark service rep; because he was "on vacation". The cc to techsupport @numark .com; returned marked "no longer valid". ...note that I copied and pasted the address directly from their website. (...after searching for it for over thirty minutes)

Figures.., right?
Numark, Support
NumarkMatt 4:22 PM - 12 October, 2011
Hi DJ Demolition,
Thank you for your reply and feedback! Numark and Serato are committed to strive for the best user experience with our hardware and Serato's software.

All of our customers have a voice that we pay close attention to as we review all feature requests along with positive and negitive feedback.We take this information and pass it along to all different areas of our company so we continuously raise the bar.

In regards to you support inquiry, all technical support requests are fielded through Support@Numark.com or any of our dedicated product support addreses. Your inquiry to techsupport@numark.com bounced back as that address is no longer valid ( as you noticed) maybe you pulled the address off of an older thread? I will look into why our response exceeded our turnaround time of 48 hours (Mon-Fri) and I apologize for any delay on that.

This DJ community is about helping fellow DJ's and providing direct route of communication with your hardware manufacturer of choice and Serato . So while I do apologize that you would not benifit at this moment directly from any future products or possible future implementations, down the road everyone will because they wanted to take a few moments to tell us whats important to them.

We do not suggets that anyone makes a hardware modifacation to thier unit, but should someone else find that this functionality bothersome they can simply turn the motor off on the V7. 99% of our other users dont have any trouble with functionality, but that does not make this un-important as everyone spins differently and requests different functionality.

In closing I thank you for bringing this to our attention and I will certainly pass this information along.