DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pioneer RekordBox

valdini 11:02 AM - 13 September, 2011
Is getting there slowly... working together Pioneer on some bits and as a result am going to give the latest version 1.5.0.15 a whirl this weekend using a direct LAN connection from my laptop and linking across two CDJ2000's with a DJM 900 (Nexus).

Lots of the early adopters on the EDM (hate this term) scene have started to move back towards the whole USB + CDJ2000 setup (now the decks are pretty much standard in any major club).

When I am playing shorter sets where I know what is going to work (1-2hrs at my residency) I have toyed with just bringing one usb stick's worth of music... and it felt great!

With the loops and effect all quantized with RekordBox, working with a full Pioneer setup really starts to come into its own.

My only (major) concern is reliability with the software (sorting sets in advance and using the USB is 100% fine) - just not used the software in full as I do SSL.

Mark my words - within 18 months there will be Pro and Consumer all in one units that see the end of laptop systems, with software in line with the basics of what SSL and Traktor do - plus outboard sync'd EFX / looping etc... it is the future thats for sure.

K
kristoff1986 11:23 AM - 13 September, 2011
swell
ekwipt 11:34 AM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:

Mark my words - within 18 months there will be Pro and Consumer all in one units that see the end of laptop systems, with software in line with the basics of what SSL and Traktor do - plus outboard sync'd EFX / looping etc... it is the future thats for sure.

sorry but big deal, the all in one units will have computers in them anyway, and who'd you think will upgrade the units to the latest software. The club owners, doubt that. Laptop DJing will be around for a very long time. It's the CDJs that should be fazed out, Pioneer just trying to hold on to the past. The CDJ should have been just midi controllers with USB, CDs are last centuries tech.
DJWALDO 11:58 AM - 13 September, 2011
I'm sorry but using cdj's on a weekly basis (native support in ssl) and then spinning sometimes after hours on 2000's with a usb drive I notice only ONE thing. I don't look for anywhere near the music options without the laptop. It's simply way too much bs only using screens the size of a cell phone without a search feature to even try to be creative. Luckily it's after hours and everyone is way too drunk to care. In a normal environment this would mean the majority of the set is planned which to me is crap. Just my opinion....
valdini 12:21 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
[ Laptop DJing will be around for a very long time. It's the CDJs that should be fazed out, Pioneer just trying to hold on to the past. The CDJ should have been just midi controllers with USB, CDs are last centuries tech.

You don't get it do you?

This is the CDJ IS becoming THE midi controller...
Music simply comes from the DJs USB
All functions, loops, efx etc are controlled natively by the unit(s)... no timecode etc

When I say 'all in one', I should have said all in one system (rather than one piece unit - sorry), meaning the decks you use + mixer + USB will all be interlinked.

= no plug in midi units to control loops + laptop with your music library and software + decks to control the tracks.

One system, totally interlinked - kind of what we have been asking from SSL for years, everything talks to each other seamlessly.

K
valdini 12:32 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
I'm sorry but using cdj's on a weekly basis (native support in ssl) and then spinning sometimes after hours on 2000's with a usb drive I notice only ONE thing. I don't look for anywhere near the music options without the laptop. It's simply way too much bs only using screens the size of a cell phone without a search feature to even try to be creative. Luckily it's after hours and everyone is way too drunk to care. In a normal environment this would mean the majority of the set is planned which to me is crap. Just my opinion....

Agreed,

Hence I'm plugging my laptop into the CDJs directly... will be the same as using SSL in that respect (full screen for library etc)... I hate looking at the CDJ screen and 'shifting' through crates with song titles cut in half etc (what do you think next gen CDJs will do to sort this ;) .... ).

From what I can see using the software direct I can:

Set hot cues / loops on the track (like cue points in SSL) and trigger straight from the CDJ (only three at the mo tho A,B,C buttons.

Save loops and trigger via the CDJ

Hit quantized loops on the fly from the player (tracks pre quantized in the software)

Sync EFX between my tracks and the mixer and control from the mixer.

... all of which are the things I use 90% of the time for DJing (as not a scratch DJ).

I see this basically doing stuff we ask SSL to do / implement and have to do at the moment via plug in midi controllers and keyboard short cuts.

I don't use sync or many of the other features in SSL (instant doubles etc), so this is fast looking like a neat solution for me.

With Pioneer already embracing sample banks via Itch and Traktor we know this will be the next addition to their own software / future hardware - as this is currently lacking (only 3 hot cues on the cdj).... but midi mapping is a whole other story.

It may all turn out rubbish (if the sofware crashes on me), but I want to at least try it for a few gigs and see where technology might be heading.

K
valdini 2:37 PM - 13 September, 2011
Seen a lot of crash problems with RekordBox reported (which is what my main fear was), so for now i'll have to wait as not testing it in a live situation and don't have the full setup at home to work with.

Until anything is as stable as SSL they will not bust the market!

K
echa1945mf 7:40 PM - 13 September, 2011
tried rekordbox link , man that rekordbox is one unstable piece of software and eats up ram like crazy too , and usb sticks are just not for long unpreplanned sets .ill be sticking to my SSL for a long time (the HID mode is awesome though been using that now)
BriChi 9:04 PM - 13 September, 2011
valdini, I have been using the 2000's linked to Rekordbox since they were released, used them with SSL until the link feature was added to RB a couple of months after the 2000's came out, I use it live every weekend, 2-3 times a weekend, works great for me on my mac. Only time I really had it crash was at home while importing some tracks and it wound up being some album art causing it (which was fixed). If you have any questions let me know... I still use serato here and there for clubs that don't have the 900/2000's, i don't feel like bringing mine so I just use the 1200's or cdj's that r there