DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Best Requests/Comments of all time.

Free Man 11:28 PM - 12 September, 2011
I DJ'd a wedding on Saturday. The Bride said DO NOT PLAY ANY COUNTRY MUSIC!!!! IT PUTS MY HUSBAND IN A BAD MOOD!!!

Personally, that is one of the best things she could have said.
Dj Shamann 11:37 PM - 12 September, 2011
On a "do not play" list the bride said "absolutely NO Black Eyed peas" I told her "I got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night"
Free Man 11:41 PM - 12 September, 2011
Quote:
On a "do not play" list the bride said "absolutely NO Black Eyed peas" I told her "I got a feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night"

lol =) what was her reaction?
sacrilicious 11:43 PM - 12 September, 2011
Quote:

:D
O.B.1 1:00 AM - 13 September, 2011
I played some "Dying Fetus" for my last song and have never seen the packed bar empty out so quickly! The owner and bouncers were like "you should do that more often!"
sacrilicious 1:44 AM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
I played some "Dying Fetus" for my last song and have never seen the packed bar empty out so quickly! The owner and bouncers were like "you should do that more often!"

Ugh...I played "Party in the USA" as a joke for my closing song after the lights had come on a while back when the song was just charting and all of the girls came back with renewed enthusiasm and started jumping and yelling along. Plan backfired.
Dj K.Smith 2:10 AM - 13 September, 2011
At my wedding one of the jr. bridesmaids (like 12 years old) came up to me and said:

kid: "can you play that song?"

k. smith: "what song is that 12 year old little girl?"

kid: " you know that song that hot in the clubs right now."

K. smith: "and how would you know what's hot in the club right now?"

Hilarious....
Dj K.Smith 2:11 AM - 13 September, 2011
* at my wedding this past weekend I dj'ed....
dj_soo 3:12 AM - 13 September, 2011
just the other week i was at a wedding - couple asked for no current top 40 which was awesome... I was still trying to get people dancing and into it by mixing in some classics, some rock, and some disco and at midnight the drunken bride came up and said "enough of this shit! - house music for the rest of the night! - And start with Indeep!"

that was awesome...
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:44 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:

lol i had something similar, bar was PACKED at closing time but noone was buyin drinks and we were down on staff (imagine this senario 100% packed club ....no security lol) so the owner comes up and tells me i should start runnin people off, so i played a few wack joints, didnt work, then i pushed it and played some goofy shit and i kinda got some looks.....then i played this 3 bad brothas track, it was an ehop remix of (honestly dont remember what song)...EMPTIED the place in under a minutes, the owner came up laughing like hey save that song iver never seen people fighting to get out of a club before lol

Quote:
Quote:

Ugh...I played "Party in the USA" as a joke for my closing song after the lights had come on a while back when the song was just charting and all of the girls came back with renewed enthusiasm and started jumping and yelling along. Plan backfired.

On the flip side ive had this happen to, end of the night and theres only 2 old chicks who are dancing and just wont leave so im thinking ima throw some dubstep at em.....throw on some bassnector and they give me the stinkface and dip....i walk to the bar to grab a drink before i kill the music and about 25 20somethingwhite dudes come walking in like ohhh shit we heard dubstep being played we didnt know clubs here played that....FML!!!
dj_JM 3:45 PM - 13 September, 2011
Guest at an event: Can you play this song?
Me: Why? (sarcasm in my voice)
Guest: Because it'll be cougar time!
Me: Ok!
Free Man 5:53 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
Guest at an event: Can you play this song?
Me: Why? (sarcasm in my voice)
Guest: Because it'll be cougar time!
Me: Ok!

lol
sixxx 6:02 PM - 13 September, 2011
This past Friday at my regular residency, this girl came up to me at the end of the night and said, "Thank you so much for not playing mash ups.". I told her that I don't ever play mash ups and she said, "I'll be here every Friday then".

:)
2Seven 6:13 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
This past Friday at my regular residency, this girl came up to me at the end of the night and said, "Thank you so much for not playing mash ups.". I told her that I don't ever play mash ups and she said, "I'll be here every Friday then".

was she hot?
sixxx 6:16 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

was she hot?

She was an 1. Which is good. There is a 0 and a 1.
2Seven 6:16 PM - 13 September, 2011
Oh here we go again!
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:49 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

was she hot?

lifes so easy when you live in binary
O.B.1 8:26 PM - 13 September, 2011
Quote:

+0010100110101
sacrilicious 12:58 AM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

was she hot?

DJ Alkemy 1:10 AM - 14 September, 2011
I DJ'ed a B-Boy Championships afterparty that had Craig G in the place. Best night I have ever DJ'ed. Craig G comes over and says "do you have The Symphony", which of course I did, but I retaliated "Im more of a BDP man myself" just to see if he was humerous and he replied with "You know The Bridge Is Over right?". Instant extra legendary status right there. I played The Symphony and the place erupted.
DjWoody 1:25 AM - 14 September, 2011
Last year I played at my friend's wedding. Some little 10 year old boy comes up to me and asks questions about DJ'ing. I let him fade out one song while fading in the other. No harm done. 10 minutes later, he comes back with this 12 year old girl. He's trying to get his game on and tells her he knows how to DJ!!!! So he asked me if I let him play the next song.... LMAO!!! I DID!!! lol Before you know it, he had all the little girls on his jock! lol
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:44 AM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
This past Friday at my regular residency, this girl came up to me at the end of the night and said, "Thank you so much for playing all mash ups.". I told her that I love playing mash ups and she said, "I'll be here every Friday then".

'

Sixxx you rock as a DJ dude... (nh nm) customer service above and beyond - No wonder they call u the Mash up King!!!!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:47 AM - 14 September, 2011
<assist>
Quote:

So what's the difference between a 0 and a 1?
Free Man 3:50 AM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
<assist>
Quote:

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:15 AM - 14 September, 2011
Chick - Where are you from?
Me - Around the way...right here....why?
Chick - Cuz you don't spin like you're from here, you spin good...like from where I live...
Me - Thanks..... I think....
Laz219 1:16 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
<assist>
Quote:

I guess in an abbreviation...
1 means (it's) ON!
sixxx 2:21 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
Chick - Cuz you don't spin like you're from here, you spin good...like from where I live...

She was from the West coast. lol
sixxx 2:22 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
<assist>
Quote:

haha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:46 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

She was from the West coast. lol

I was NOT at a strip club....
sixxx 4:24 PM - 14 September, 2011
I don't get that....

Anyway, you know damn well percentage wise, most cats out of your area don't mix like they should. (no constant slamming)
nm
sacrilicious 5:41 PM - 14 September, 2011
0 = no
1 = yes
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:16 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
I don't get that....

I'm not surprised...lol.

Quote:
Anyway, you know damn well percentage wise, most cats out of your area don't mix like they should. (no constant slamming)
nm

I can't disagree with you there....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:18 PM - 14 September, 2011
But she was being more Location specific, as I was DJ'ing at my local spot, but sounded like I was spinning in NEWARK (home of Club Zanzibar)...
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:32 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
0 = no
1 = yes

or

yes = 0111100101100101011100110000110100001010

no = 0110111001101111
sixxx 8:51 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
But she was being more Location specific, as I was DJ'ing at my local spot, but sounded like I was spinning in NEWARK (home of Club Zanzibar)...

I read that as CLUB OF ZOOLANDER. Hahahaha
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:46 PM - 14 September, 2011
RIF!
DJ Shady Lady 9:58 PM - 24 October, 2011
bonita applebaum.

yes.
Hassle 2:34 AM - 25 October, 2011
'yo, I am usually really into house music, but I'm really feeling your music', while doing 70s soul and RnB
dj_soo 2:39 AM - 25 October, 2011
playing a wedding, i was doing my usual wedding style selection without the new top40 (bride forbade it) and spent a lot of time explaining why I couldn't play J-lo or Black Eyed Peas, or pitbull.

Finally, the bride comes up and says "ok, enough of this shit! House music for the rest of the night!"

So awesome.
the_black_one 5:47 AM - 25 October, 2011
I got booked in Dallas for a " BLACK CROWD" so in my head i was preparing my mind for the gig. I get to the club and the room was full of black folks. I was completely ready to get down and dirty and and about 3 songs in i saw a group of 10 people (man and woman) coming my direction. Very politely they asked if i can speed things up a bit and play some deep vocal house music so they can dance!

Played deep, vocal, soulful, house music all night and they fucking loved it!
ND.M 6:29 AM - 25 October, 2011
I was playing at a wedding and had a 30 year old chick rapping along ALL the lyrics of Warren G's "Regulate". Some guy also requested Gang Starr...last 2 hours of this wedding were a blessing (this happened in Germany)!
DJ Dac 10:42 PM - 25 October, 2011
Quote:
I was playing at a wedding and had a 30 year old chick rapping along ALL the lyrics of Warren G's "Regulate". Some guy also requested Gang Starr...last 2 hours of this wedding were a blessing (this happened in Germany)!

i have to say, any stateside 30 year old that was any bit of fun in their youth should know every word to that song, i feel bad for the ones who cant recite it, because you know they were the ones not having fun...
ND.M 7:10 AM - 26 October, 2011
+1, but still...I'm German, I live in Germany and it was a GERMAN woman - that's what amazed me. Many people here don't know ANY rap lyrics. On the plus side, nobody gives a damn if I play dirty or clean versions.
DJ Dac 4:46 PM - 26 October, 2011
Quote:
+1, but still...I'm German, I live in Germany and it was a GERMAN woman - that's what amazed me. Many people here don't know ANY rap lyrics. On the plus side, nobody gives a damn if I play dirty or clean versions.

that is pretty awesome...
Free Man 7:52 PM - 27 October, 2011
Quote:

What is typical?
Marcus Avila 10:49 PM - 31 October, 2011
Me playing an edit of Gwen McCrae last night.

Crown Princess of Norway: Can you turn it up?

Me: YES!

Crown Princess of Norway: Thanks.
Code:E 11:55 PM - 31 October, 2011
Quote:
I DJ'd a wedding on Saturday. The Bride said DO NOT PLAY ANY COUNTRY MUSIC!!!! IT PUTS MY HUSBAND IN A BAD MOOD!!!

Personally, that is one of the best things she could have said.

I wish more wedding i would get this comment.
Dj matty k 12:01 AM - 1 November, 2011
I was asked to play bob the builder and i said no way then he said what not even the remix
i just pissed myself laughing and walked back to the decks ;-)
Free Man 11:56 PM - 27 April, 2012
DJ'n a wedding right now... kid comes ip to me (he is about 12) asks if i can play any song i want.
I tell him not any song, but i have a lot of songs so i most likely have a song if he wants to request one.

He says ok can you play party rock anthem?

I say it will be a little while but i will play it

He says ok... cause i really lile shuffling
DJ Dac 5:16 AM - 29 April, 2012
Quote:
DJ'n a wedding right now... kid comes ip to me (he is about 12) asks if i can play any song i want.
I tell him not any song, but i have a lot of songs so i most likely have a song if he wants to request one.

He says ok can you play party rock anthem?

I say it will be a little while but i will play it

He says ok... cause i really lile shuffling

you cant hate on that request...
Free Man 12:55 AM - 30 April, 2012
For sure! Coming from a kid that is 12a i thought it was pretty awesome
Madame Dutchess 2:38 AM - 30 April, 2012
The best comments I tend to receive are from people who come up to me just to give me a compliment and don't even make a request!
hamplifier 5:59 AM - 30 April, 2012
i had a guy come up to me on sat night and said to me "do you have any shuffling music so i can shuffle?" i said yeah ill put some on soon , then he wouldnt cos he wasnt wearing his chucks haha
Free Man 3:46 PM - 30 April, 2012
So, other than party rock anthem.... what can you play for someone who wants to shuffle? lol, i have never even thought about it?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:25 PM - 30 April, 2012
Hold up, so there's a dance called "The Shuffle"?

Stop playin...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:29 PM - 30 April, 2012
Ok, I've seen that...didn't know what it was...
djpuma_gemini 10:39 PM - 30 April, 2012
I have stupid songs like cupid shuffle with a grouping tag of "shuffling shit"
dj_craigmac 1:06 AM - 1 May, 2012
My saturday nite residency is all the way "HOOD" so dirty south rap and todays hot garbage is in full effect. All of the employees (waitresses, bartenders, security,) are my friends on facebook so they've been seeing me post links to my HOUSEMUSIC mixes. Little did i know they are actually downloading and listening to them. So now they always request me to play some housemusic in a straightup hiphop and r&b hood club. So I DO. lol. The thugs and gangsta's give me the WTF mean mug. But i dont care
Esco... 8:29 PM - 2 May, 2012
Quote:
My saturday nite residency is all the way "HOOD" so dirty south rap and todays hot garbage is in full effect. All of the employees (waitresses, bartenders, security,) are my friends on facebook so they've been seeing me post links to my HOUSEMUSIC mixes. Little did i know they are actually downloading and listening to them. So now they always request me to play some housemusic in a straightup hiphop and r&b hood club. So I DO. lol. The thugs and gangsta's give me the WTF mean mug. But i dont care

So you've been feeding it to them slowly? How has that worked out ?
dj_craigmac 2:02 AM - 3 May, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

So you've been feeding it to them slowly? How has that worked out ?

The ladies are ok with it in small amounts but the thugs aint feelin it. The regular non thug dudes tend to follow whatever the ladies are down for. Unfortunately the thugs roll deep and have influence with my crowd