DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

iPhone on ANY Network... HELL YEAH!!!!

DjWoody 12:21 AM - 14 September, 2007
I've read rumors about using your iPhone on any network, but they seemed sketchy. Well, today my friend HACKED his iPhone to work on ANY Network!!!! I used his iPhone with my T-Mobile SIM Card and it WORKED!!! I'm getting one of these things soon!!! hehe
sixxx 12:29 AM - 14 September, 2007
Nice
djnvs 12:32 AM - 14 September, 2007
No ANY network... just any GSM network... since you still need a sim card
Rebelguy 12:35 AM - 14 September, 2007
It only works on T Mobile and AT&T
DJMark 1:06 AM - 14 September, 2007
Got one Monday. I did the 999-9999-99 SSN thing to make the activation offer the "pick your plan", so I wouldn't be forced into the 2-year bondage to AT&T (my use is far more internet than actual "phone" anyway).

It's amazing (maybe a little scary) how a device like this can go from "cool novelty" to "something you depend on" in a very short time...

Movies, by the way, are really something to see on it. Assuming you have good source material (like DVD's encoded with Handbrake...done right, they look way better than the iTunes Store offerings).
DJ Josh V 11:03 AM - 14 September, 2007
He probably got the hack from this guy:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Josh V 11:07 AM - 14 September, 2007
Quote:
He probably got the hack from this guy:

Watchwww.youtube.com

LOL the guy interviewing looks real serious and pist off.
DJJorel 6:05 PM - 14 September, 2007
Quote:
I've read rumors about using your iPhone on any network, but they seemed sketchy. Well, today my friend HACKED his iPhone to work on ANY Network!!!! I used his iPhone with my T-Mobile SIM Card and it WORKED!!! I'm getting one of these things soon!!! hehe

Just stay away from the firmware updates....rumor has it that Apple already has a counterhack and it will lock the phone up again...
DjWoody 6:24 PM - 14 September, 2007
And than somebody will figure out a counterhack against apple. This will never stop.
a-swift 6:26 PM - 14 September, 2007
i'm pretty sure there's more than just at&t and t-mobile who have gsm networks.
dj disturbed 6:31 PM - 14 September, 2007
check this out you iPhone used users

www.apple.com
(no logout)
djnvs 6:39 PM - 14 September, 2007
Quote:
i'm pretty sure there's more than just at&t and t-mobile who have gsm networks.

All-tel and some other small companies that just piggy back off the big companies' towers...
dj disturbed 6:42 PM - 14 September, 2007
Alltell is not a small company.. andx Iknowfor a fact that they dont JUST piggy back off other companies. I used to work for a place who did all their tower work in the NC area... and they have more towers then most of the other phone comapanies around here
djnvs 1:18 AM - 15 September, 2007
notice i said alltell AND some small companies.. but compared to tmobile and Att, alltell is small... they are a regional company... tmobile and att is nationwide.. hell tmobile is world wide... tmobile USA, Tmobile Europe, Tmobile Asia...
Fishr Pryce 5:01 AM - 15 September, 2007
Look at NVS taking up for TMobile.
djnvs 5:07 AM - 15 September, 2007
Haha...no.... just don't like "chad" from the alltell commercials
m0nster 3:52 PM - 29 September, 2007
just don't update...i'm using a iphone in canada with 2 sim's on 2 different carriers. It's a very nice phone. If you have "unlocked" your phone, just wait till there is a update of unlocking software for the new firmware. you don't NEED to update.

I found this interesting..

blog.wired.com

Not trying to promote anything, but if i pay 500 dollars for something i think i have the right to use it with my provider as just a phone. WHich i am, and using wifi hoppin' for other things, not paying insane data charges here in canada, they have never heard of a unlimited plan...
theInFaDeR 4:40 PM - 30 September, 2007
so can you still use all the normal features on your plan? texts, internet etc? i hate this damn sidekick! was gonna go blackberry but the iphone is dope!
m0nster 5:28 PM - 30 September, 2007
yes, i'm using everything, even better, i just jump on wifi networks to use email and web browsing, faster and free compared to paying INSANE data rates. Text's and phone etc are good, you don't get visual voicemail, but that's cause it's just a service offered by at&t that i know of. Other then that the interface and functionality is top notch, i just wish someone would make a dedicated reliable aim/yahoo/ MSN] chat client.
theInFaDeR 6:15 PM - 30 September, 2007
NIce! think im sold LOL. may have to hit you up about the unlock process.

so does it have msn/aim? thats one thing i like about the sidekick aside from email etc
pdidy 6:30 PM - 30 September, 2007
Quote:
I did the 999-9999-99 SSN thing .

whats that?
dj solomon 10:39 PM - 30 September, 2007
I rocking my iphone on t-mobile right now, unlocked it through www.iphonesimfree.com, $60 the unlock process took 5 minutes and BAM! No need to switch contracts. I even got the youtube working, just no visual voicemail (this is at&t specific).
Now if only i could get my phone tethered to my macbook to share internet, ive been following these directions but haven't gotten it to work yet: dragonforged.com
ekwipt 10:52 PM - 30 September, 2007
Like others have said be careful not to update itunes or the iphone just yet, have read that it bricks your nice new iphone, into ... well... a brick
DJMark 11:39 PM - 30 September, 2007
Quote:
Like others have said be careful not to update itunes or the iphone just yet, have read that it bricks your nice new iphone, into ... well... a brick

Yes, the iTunes 7.4.2 version "broke" user-added ringtones (stay at iTunes 7.4.1), and the 1.1.1 firmware "upgrade" broke all user-added third-party applications *and* destroys some iPhones that have SIM-card hacks.

I'm definitely leaving my iPhone firmware at 1.0.2 at least until installer.app is updated to work with the newer version.
DJ WILLIE 2:32 AM - 1 October, 2007
If anybody has an UNLOCKED phone that I can used on my Sprint service please email me

djwillie@gmail.com

I'm in either NJ / NYC or ORLANDO, FL
dj solomon 4:53 PM - 1 October, 2007
Quote:
If anybody has an UNLOCKED phone that I can used on my Sprint service please email me

djwillie@gmail.com

I'm in either NJ / NYC or ORLANDO, FL

no dice for u... sprint and verizon are on cdma network, at&t and t-mobile (and pretty much the rest of the world) are on gsm, thats what allows u to unlock and change phones, u just insert your sim card and you're ready to go!
Charlie Five 2:04 AM - 2 October, 2007
Just got my iPhone today. Ditched Sprint for it. I can't believe this thing!
DJ WILLIE 6:55 AM - 2 October, 2007
Ok, I have a sidekick aswell, so who wants to give me info on an unlocked phone..?..My Sprint service expires in December....

djwillie@gmail.com
marknonsense1 7:55 AM - 2 October, 2007
Quote:
Got one Monday. I did the 999-9999-99 SSN thing to make the activation offer the "pick your plan", so I wouldn't be forced into the 2-year bondage to AT&T (my use is far more internet than actual "phone" anyway).

It's amazing (maybe a little scary) how a device like this can go from "cool novelty" to "something you depend on" in a very short time...

Movies, by the way, are really something to see on it. Assuming you have good source material (like DVD's encoded with Handbrake...done right, they look way better than the iTunes Store offerings).

What's the right way????? I do my moives @ 1411 kbps with 2 pass encoding & 160 kbps sound, now that they lower it. How do you do it?
marknonsense1 7:56 AM - 2 October, 2007
^^^^^^lowered^^^^^^
Charlie Five 4:15 AM - 3 October, 2007
Ohhhhhh...this b!tch is BAD! If you have the $$ to cancel and go to AT&T, do it!
jnovakane 4:36 AM - 3 October, 2007
lol ... i've had this for about three weeks now and to me, i guess it has lost much of it's cool factor. but hey, can't argue with browsing internet from anywhere (i have att)