DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Stanton Final Scratch?? What Happened to It?

L-Murray 5:00 PM - 7 September, 2011
Hey I was just wondering if any one ever used final scratch, and if so how was it?? It seems like it just fell off and vanished off the scene. Anybody with feedback on this, just let me know!!! Thanks!!!
ral 5:05 PM - 7 September, 2011
Eric N 6:39 PM - 7 September, 2011
It became Traktor.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 8:20 PM - 7 September, 2011
It sucked - along came Serato - same idea done almost perfect....
DJGeorgeT 5:24 PM - 14 September, 2011
I still use FS. It runs on BeOs and it is very stable. Never had a glitch and it did not need calibration. It was dead accurate. The sound quality at low speeds sounded digital, but so is Serato. The stanton interface box was the problem, not the software. FS was the first DVS and then other copycats like Serato jumped onboard with their DVS.
DjWoody 7:07 PM - 14 September, 2011
Check out these pictures of when they first demoed Final Scratch back in April 1999. It was at some BeOs conference.

www.bedope.com
www.bedope.com
www.bedope.com
O.B.1 7:15 PM - 14 September, 2011
It went the way of the buffalo, kind of like the tascam tt-m1...

www.bing.com
dj_soo 7:25 PM - 14 September, 2011
stanton and NI parted ways - NI developed traktor and stanton gave up on the DVS market and stuck with mixers, turntables, and midi controllers.
DJBIGWIZ 7:35 PM - 14 September, 2011
Quote:
I still use FS. It runs on BeOs and it is very stable. Never had a glitch and it did not need calibration. It was dead accurate... FS was the first DVS and then other copycats like Serato jumped onboard with their DVS.

I feel the same way about the abacus. It worked fine for thousands of years and then all of a sudden here comes the 1970's and copycats like Intel and Busicom trying to reinvent the wheel with their fancy electronic "calculators"... trying to make things "better". HA I say if it aint broke why fix it? It's kind of like when... oh wait.. hold that thought the light just went out... I have to go get a fresh candle. brb
nik39 1:10 PM - 16 September, 2011
Lol...

But seriously... how can you compare FS to any of the current DVS'es? Makes little sense.
alandc 6:58 PM - 20 December, 2013
Native Instruments bought Final Scratch.
DJ Matty Stiles 6:59 AM - 21 December, 2013
Almost got it when it came out. Glad I stuck to traditional setup and learned properly. More than a decade later I brought the SL3 and never looked back
alandc 9:46 PM - 21 December, 2013
Yeah traditional DJ'ing is a great art to posses!
DJ Reflex 1:21 AM - 22 December, 2013
Quote:
Almost got it when it came out. Glad I stuck to traditional setup and learned properly. More than a decade later I brought the SL3 and never looked back

Almost bought it too... waited a few months and walla - out comes Serato. DJ Jes-1 gave me a demo back on version 1 and that was the game changer!
DJ Irv 3:17 PM - 22 December, 2013
I tried Final Scratch way back and it was not very responsive. I never thought of using it ever again. The SL1 came out and I bought it the same week and never looked back. I'm now using a 57SL and Traktor Z2. No problems with Traktor or ScratchLive.

Final Scratch deserves to be in a museum with the Yugo and musket.
DJ Quartz 11:00 PM - 22 December, 2013
I actually started on the Stanton version of Final Scratch which ran in Linux and it never worked on my ShuttlePC.

It wasn't until they teamed up with NI and merged the Traktor DJ application with Final Scratch DVS technology to make Traktor Final Scratch.

I used it until version 1.5 and then upgraded to Traktor Final Scratch 2 and then to Traktor DJ Studio 3 which had Final Scratch 2 support.

Final Scratch 1.x worked with the Scratchamp 1 (USB 1.1) Hockey Puck style. Final Scratch 2 worked with the Scratchamp 2 which is (1394) Firewire.

The Stanton and NI parted ways and NI released Traktor Scratch with their own hardware which was the Audio 8 DJ.

I could go on and on...
Cj "Tha" Sticman 12:08 PM - 30 April, 2017
I remember jumping on Final Scratch when it first came out . Bought it at guitar center in Atlanta when I was looking for a vestax samurai mixer! Was super excited and it started my new way of life as a dj . By the time Serato Came out I had allready had hundreds of MP3 files ready to use . The transition was very comfortably made from one platform to the other .
ekalb 10:48 AM - 1 May, 2017
Final scratch 1.5 was a piece of shit i could never get it to act right i bought it right before 2.0 was released (pissed about that too) and then i heard about Serato, i started out on ver. 1.3 and never looked back
DJ Unique 5:05 AM - 2 May, 2017
I remember seeing a DJ using turntables to control MP3's on his computer and was blown away. I had to purchase Final Scratch and when I arrived at the local DJ shop, was convinced to try Serato Scratch Live instead. I did purchase an SL1 and was bundled with version 1.3
DJ Reflex 12:35 AM - 4 May, 2017
Yup, me too. Almost bought Final Scratch when I saw a DJ use it at a house party. Went into my local record shop to find Serato 1.something on the DJ's computer. I purchased that the next day and haven't looked back since 2005.
Laz219 1:08 AM - 4 May, 2017
I'm kinda glad I only became aware of DVS after Final Scratch was essentially a dead product- the shops were still selling it but they were just old boxes sitting around that they didn't talk about.
After seeing the mess that became of it with NI/Stantons issues- glad I didn't even consider it and just went straight to scratch live.
DJ Matty Stiles 4:15 AM - 4 May, 2017
^ amen
Jvine 3:33 PM - 4 May, 2017
It's essentially what is now Taktor, no?'

At least you guys didn't make the Torq mistake like I did, ew.
dj_soo 10:56 PM - 4 May, 2017
I made the Torq mistake. Sold it for an SL1 about a month later.

Had some cool features that were a little ahead of its time (full internal mixing and DVS before Traktor scratch released, beatgrids, etc.) but the execution left a lot to be desired.

The one thing I miss about it was the Quick Scratch slots.
DJ Matty Stiles 8:19 AM - 5 May, 2017
Quote:
I made the Torq mistake.

hahaha! We all make those kind of mistakes. My A6 is a paperweight. Traktor was just so unintuitive and I took to serato like a duck to water. It really is for EDM nerds, buy why bother when you have USBs, its not like you need the extra speed and visual assistance with those long ass 128bpm, 8 minute songs!

Ahhh torq, always wondered why DJ revolution was so adamant about it. Probably the same way grandmaster flash was so adamant about traktor.... $$$