Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

EXTREMELY LOUD POPPING SOUND Produced when fast crabbing Xfader and scratching!

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS7 + Numark NSFX
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
DJ_Esco 5:29 PM - 2 September, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 2.0.1
Hardware: numark-ns7||numark-nsfx
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.8
---

During last nights performance I had a severe issue when scratching. I am not sure how many eardrums I ruptured including my very own each time I tried this.

Here is the problem in detail:

Example track is loaded and playing in deck A
decide to use a segment on deck B to scratch on located on the beginning of the track. (Keep in mind used the same pattern in previous versions with no issues.)

As soon as I even begin to to move the cross fader slightly in to what I am scratching on Deck B. You hear a complete cancelation of any sound replaced by a extremely loud deafening POP or CRACK bursting through the speakers (approximately just under a second in length)

------------------------
MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Intel Core i7
4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.6.8
Seagate Firewire 800 External Harddrive

ITCH Mac Version: 2.0.1 (20102)
-----------------------------
Latency Settings: 512samples/10ms

Selected Playback Settings: Playback keys use shift, Hi-Fi Resampler, Use auto gain 92dB, Play from Start, Output Mono, Headroom 0dB

Please help....ASAP

Thanks

DJ_Esco 3:27 PM - 3 September, 2011
Okay.

I found my own fix but created another issue. Keep in mind I use a MacBook Pro while reading this:

Problem: Loud popping sound when scratching (as stated above)
Solution: Install latest firmware + Numark NS7 Driver

Problem: Using Mac in Bootcamp mode Launching Windows 7 Ultimate. Attempted to uninstall Mac Drivers for NS7 and reinstall latest drivers. After using uninstaller, rebooting then attempting to reinstall error 0x0006 pops up (failed) manually deleted drivers then attempting to reinstall again after using uninstaller and rebooting now gets 0x0008 (failed)

:( help
DJVertigo 11:02 PM - 3 September, 2011
same popping has happened to me a couple times, I went through 3 usb cables, re start 3 times and the 3rd usb cable may have fixed it. Great way to ruin a groove!
DJ_Esco 11:38 PM - 3 September, 2011
@Vertigo

I replaced ALL of my USB cables with gold plated ones from Monster Cable even the Power cord for the NS7. Therefore, I know this was not the problem and second it only happened after I upgraded to the latest Serato ITCH 2.0.1 version from the previous 2.0. The issue was the Numark NS7 Sound driver needed to be updated also.

The only issue now is resolving the "Notable to install sound drivers in Win 7"
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 2:48 AM - 5 September, 2011
Hey DJ_Esco,

Quote:
Problem: Using Mac in Bootcamp mode Launching Windows 7 Ultimate. Attempted to uninstall Mac Drivers for NS7 and reinstall latest drivers. After using uninstaller, rebooting then attempting to reinstall error 0x0006 pops up (failed) manually deleted drivers then attempting to reinstall again after using uninstaller and rebooting now gets 0x0008 (failed)

I'm a little confused here. You booted up into Windows 7 via bootcamp, and uninstalled the Mac drivers from Device Manager while in Windows? Do you mean the PC drivers? Sorry if I've misunderstood you.

Also, when exactly are you getting the error message? When you try to run the installer?

Can you please download and install the NS7 drivers from the Numark site here : www.numark.com (Documents and downloads)

Cheers :)
DjNoelio 9:27 AM - 5 September, 2011
bump
DJ_Esco 4:54 AM - 6 September, 2011
Ok Sorry here is a better explanation:
I have a BootCamped Macbook Pro i7 with Windows 7 Ultimate installed.

I had a older version of ITCH and Drivers installed. I completely removed ITCH using the normal/typical uninstall procedure (selecting uninstall) In addition I ran the file (you pointed out to on Numark's site)
and used the option to uninstall the old drivers. Proceeding this I rebooted (as required) my laptop.
Once rebooted I attempted to install the Numark drivers first.
Install attempt failed with error 0x0006
I looked in the device manager and noticed that the driver was still present (now performed a right click remove driver then rebooted)
After reboot and attempting to reinstall I started reciveing a new error code 0x0008 install failed.

Hope this helps.

DJ Esco
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 10:47 PM - 7 September, 2011
Hmm, I'm not sure why you are getting that error. Can you please try this for me :

* Open Finder and go to Macintosh HD -> System -> Library -> Extensions ; now locate and delete the 'NumarkNS7audio.kext' file.

* Now open the Device Manager (with NS7 connected) and right-click and uninstall all the NS7 drivers (as you did earlier).

* Now disconnect the NS7, reconnect it and run the ITCH 2.0 installer with it connected. This will reinstall the drivers and kext file.

Does it connect now? Or do you still get this message? If it still doesn't work can you repeat the above but use the 1.7.1 installer here : serato.com

Let me know how you go :)
DJ_Esco 6:28 PM - 9 September, 2011
@ Logan D (Serato)
I truely appreciate your diligence on the matter. I narrowed it down to being a issue caused by a the operating system its self which for what ever reason affected only the devices which the system saw as a new USB device and had no binds or preexisting drivers for (including ones which drivers we removed). This really puzzled me. And I really wanted to find the cause and a fix for it due to the fact that I feel this is not the only known case of this happening on other Windows 7 32bit users. Due to time constraints I made a ghost image of the drive for analysis as soon as I make it back home from my out of state gigs/shows. For now I will close this ticket and let you know my findings.
Jsut FYI I installed a fresh copy of the same OSX version, Boot camp, and This time a 64 bit version of Windows 7, Numark drivers, Serato ITCH 2.0 with no issues.

I will let you know my findings as soon as I can in addition to any documented information if available.
Once again thank you.