DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Do you guys smell a scam?!?!

DJ Sniffles 9:33 PM - 10 September, 2007
So with the recent success of selling my car on craigslist, I am selling a couple of other things....

Well.....just read this

(The Buyer)
Hello seller,
I am interested in your item, i need to know if it is still available for sale and in good condition, as i am okay with the price $550 for the item and shall be making an immediate payment for the item thru cashier check, because that is the only method the payment can be made .

And as for the shipping i will arrange for a local pick up for the item as soon as you got the check cashed and have the full payment in your hand and the i will take care of the shipping bill .

If you are ok with all this arrangement quickly get back to me with all this informations below so that the payment can be mailed to you asap

Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zipcode:
Phone#:

I awaits your response fast.........

(Me)
The monitors are fine...I bought them less than 48 hours ago. It's been out of the box for less than 2 hours. Now as for the payment. I've had recently been ran clean of money by identity theft. I'm not too familiar with cashier checks but if you're saying I'll have full payment before we ship than I am fine with that. May I ask where this is going? Anyways...there is my information. Thanks for the fast reply

(The buyer)
Dear Anthony

Thanks so much for your mail.

I have received your informations and please note that the payment will be sent to you by my client who i have supplied with some merchandize and has some balance payment to made to me but you will have to be honest with me in doing this as my balance payment with my client is $3600 so the total amount you will receive from my client is $3600 then when you cash the Payment you will deduct your payment of $549 and wire out my balance via western union to my store keeper on the name and address i will provide as soon as the fund are readily available in your account i will be adding another $100 for your time and address you will incure in sending out the funds.

So get back to me and let me know if you will be honest with me to receive the payment and process it just as i have instructed above so that i can instruct my client to send the payment to you without any delay.
DJ Sniffles 9:33 PM - 10 September, 2007
sounds shaky right????
CMOS 9:35 PM - 10 September, 2007
Craigslist= Local Pickup, Cash Only.
DJ-A 9:38 PM - 10 September, 2007
don't get burned... that is my life slogan now... i'd rather not make a ton of money and be safe than feel like i'm getting a great deal and get nothing in the end...
cappinkirk 9:38 PM - 10 September, 2007
why don't you specify the terms? thats the norm for this cappin. If he ain't got the cash then he ain't got the stuff. when the cash is in your hands then he can have the merch.

complications are added costs in my opinions.
djnvs 9:39 PM - 10 September, 2007
Dude... that's a laundering scam....lol...don't do it
CMOS 9:39 PM - 10 September, 2007
If they really want your shit they will come to your crib or public meeting place, pickup said shit and drop off cash. Anything else is a waste.
De LA 9:40 PM - 10 September, 2007
TOTALLY SHAKY!

Bad english-1st clue
Complicated money trasnfer-2nd clue
He is buying for a client?!-3rd clue
Your whole last paragraph-4th clue
paying someone 100 bucks for their time?!when they are the seller.-5th clue

dont do it.
DJ-A 9:41 PM - 10 September, 2007
Quote:
If they really want your shit they will come to your crib or public meeting place, pickup said shit and drop off cash. Anything else is a waste.

ditto. i'd also go for them mailing you cash in a cardboard box to your po box... and you will drop the package in a dumpster somewhere...

my point is exactly what CMOS said... until you have all the cash, they dont get anything
sixxx 9:43 PM - 10 September, 2007
SCAM! Very obvious.
djnvs 9:45 PM - 10 September, 2007
Here's the deal.... dirty money, they need a way to clean it.... plain and simple
djbriguy 9:47 PM - 10 September, 2007
I've seen this scam circulating the net, and i got the EXACT.. i mean the EXACT email when i had my Prelude on craigslist. Ignore it. Don't deal with him.

Google the situation. You'll find many stories.
KaGeN 9:47 PM - 10 September, 2007
Scam........ but play along anyway... Have them mail that cashiers check, shit will look so real.. Then try n cash it.. and watch you bank close your account.... but since that'll take a few days to happen and GET THIS, there is be a magical overpayment in the cashiers check and they'll ask you to send the $400 overage back to them... Kiss you shit and that $400 good-bye and enjoy a closed account and a nice note asking where the fuck did you get that cool cashiers check from your bank..

have a nice day.
DJ GaFFle 9:48 PM - 10 September, 2007
Yep, sounds like they're laundering to me...
cappinkirk 9:51 PM - 10 September, 2007
put some bricks in the boxes and give it to him
djbriguy 9:52 PM - 10 September, 2007
I work in anti money laundry.. its a scam. Just don't do it. Thats all i'm saying. I'll have to fix all of your crap and its not fun!

Catching the criminals is fun though
CMOS 9:53 PM - 10 September, 2007
Laundering isnt done with schmo's from the internet. Why would you take the chance. Laundering is done with people you know well enough to trust.
DJryantheHUGE 9:53 PM - 10 September, 2007
Yeah, that's a pretty standard scam message. I notice that they usually don't mention the item by name (they always call it "your item") and they always ask if it's still available and if it's in good condition.

Then they always need some other form of payment, and they always have some complex story. Tell him to shove that cashier's check up his scamming ass.
DJ-A 9:53 PM - 10 September, 2007
Quote:
I work in anti money laundry.. its a scam. Just don't do it. Thats all i'm saying. I'll have to fix all of your crap and its not fun!

Catching the criminals is fun though

so is there someone he can contact to try to bust these people that contacted him?
bourbonstmc 9:55 PM - 10 September, 2007
Quote:
TOTALLY SHAKY!

Bad english-1st clue
Complicated money trasnfer-2nd clue
He is buying for a client?!-3rd clue
Your whole last paragraph-4th clue
paying someone 100 bucks for their time?!when they are the seller.-5th clue

dont do it.

Can you say Nigeria? The check will be good enough for you to deposit, but then will traced as a fake and you will be out the $ and the merchandise.
DJ Sniffles 9:56 PM - 10 September, 2007
www.associatedcontent.com

ouch good catch guys
KaGeN 9:57 PM - 10 September, 2007
ANYTHING you post on craigslist SELLING - be sure to put in there LOCAL PICKUP & Cash Only..
DJ Sniffles 9:59 PM - 10 September, 2007
yea i did...then this guy sends a message....immediately i knew something wasnt right. i emailed him back to see what he would propose...then i was pretty sure this guy wasnt legit
DJ Sniffles 10:01 PM - 10 September, 2007
so how do we bust this guy?! hahaha what info should i get?
KingDecipha 10:04 PM - 10 September, 2007
I sold my old powerbook on craigslist and the guy I sold it to said he was setup on craiglist by giving out your info. He was selling some diamond earings for his wife and so a potential buyer asked for the same info, so he gave them the address to a house he rents out that was currently vacant. a couple days later, that house was broken into. and no word from the potential buyer. coincidence?
djnvs 10:04 PM - 10 September, 2007
I got a message on yahoo mesenger from a "chic" saying that she had money orders and needed someone to cash them, and she trusted me enough to do it for her... after only talking to "her" once before..... I was like, ooooook......
DJ-A 10:06 PM - 10 September, 2007
it would be funny to make some bull shit up... where are you located?
"_______"

oh cool, i'll be there this weekend... lets just do business in person, dont forget to pring the cash...
shiestO! 10:11 PM - 10 September, 2007
sound shitty dude.
latindj 10:29 PM - 10 September, 2007
get his info. and send him a box of steaming shit.
Certified Quality Entertainment 10:42 PM - 10 September, 2007
i got a lot of emails to my DJ business email regarding doing weddins. if i still have one i will post it, they are funny to read. they even put an address to a place. i looked it up and it was a florist. i played along for a bit saying i needed $50,000 to do a wedding. I did get an ok once. should have taken it to court. hahha
Dj Xplor NYC 3:22 AM - 11 September, 2007
Yeah man, Kagen is right. It's definately a scam. I tried to sell my MPC 2000xl on there and i got the same exact message. I spoke to my father, who works in Fraud Prevention for Citibank and he said the same thing. You'll be able to cash it, but when the bank finds out its not legit they'll make you reimburse them the money...There goes your money, There goes your stuff :(
The E Head 6:24 AM - 11 September, 2007
djnvs 6:46 AM - 11 September, 2007
lol...nice i just read some of the stuff on that site...
J_Static 7:07 AM - 11 September, 2007
Quote:
Scam........ but play along anyway... Have them mail that cashiers check, shit will look so real.. Then try n cash it.. and watch you bank close your account.... but since that'll take a few days to happen and GET THIS, there is be a magical overpayment in the cashiers check and they'll ask you to send the $400 overage back to them... Kiss you shit and that $400 good-bye and enjoy a closed account and a nice note asking where the fuck did you get that cool cashiers check from your bank..

have a nice day.

Kagen's sooo right! U cash it at your bank, they find out the check is fucked and then the bank punished YOU!!!

Do it, and your an IDIOT and u deserved to get robbed!
DJ Sniffles 7:50 AM - 11 September, 2007
woah woah i already knew it was a scam man..... calm down
i juss wanted to share with my fellow losers
djbriguy 2:08 PM - 11 September, 2007
man this site has some great scam letters. i wish i would've strung along the guy who wanted to scam me for my prelude.
shiestO! 3:06 PM - 11 September, 2007
Quote:
get his info. and send him a box of steaming shit.

it'd be difficult to keep it steaming.
DJ-A 3:10 PM - 11 September, 2007
include a note that says "when i put your merchandise in the box i promise it was in good condition. by placing it in the microwave you may be able to get it to be more similar to its orig condition"
bourbonstmc 6:32 PM - 11 September, 2007
Quote:
man this site has some great scam letters. i wish i would've strung along the guy who wanted to scam me for my prelude.

Be prepared to change your e-mail addy if you do. It'll get passed around to every Nigerian scammer.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:46 PM - 11 September, 2007
Speaking of scams -->> www.scratchlive.net
djbriguy 8:49 PM - 11 September, 2007
^^ this || close Shaun... this || close
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:51 PM - 11 September, 2007
haha!
KaGeN 8:52 PM - 11 September, 2007
Wow, this Shaun guy is breaking rule #4.
DJ Sniffles 8:53 PM - 11 September, 2007
wow....i'm an idiot

I live in Seattle too Shaun, I'll be on the look out for u.
KaGeN 8:54 PM - 11 September, 2007
whatcha gonna do, ask for a T-shirt?
DJ-A 9:00 PM - 11 September, 2007
i can picture chris rock sayind "can i getta sticka"
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:11 PM - 11 September, 2007
Quote:
Wow, this Shaun guy is breaking rule #4.

I like it:

4. No (logout)
shiestO! 9:32 PM - 11 September, 2007
he got me! damn!
wakka 10:58 PM - 11 September, 2007
That's a scam, don't do it. But what you should do, is play along. And in the very end, send one last email saying how you don't do business with Nigerians.