Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Poor signal output on new Novation Twitch

[O/][iii][O/] 8:55 PM - 27 August, 2011
I was suggested by Serato that this topic be added to the ITCH general discussion area.

For those who affected and/or care and aren't up to speed yet, read this thread and comment/question here in this one.

Original thread from Twitch support area: serato.com
djcerla 10:28 PM - 27 August, 2011
Idea: build a 4:2 cable that sums booth output signals to main out, basically adding 3dbs of volume with no distortion.

It should work, I don't think there would be phase issues. Anybody willing to try this?
[O/][iii][O/] 10:40 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Idea: build a 4:2 cable that sums booth output signals to main out, basically adding 3dbs of volume with no distortion.

It should work, I don't think there would be phase issues. Anybody willing to try this?

Good idea and applause for thinking out of the box McGyver stylee, but at this point of the process I'm more interested in what Novation has to say and how they intend to handle it (or see if they choose not to handle it). So far the silence from them is deafening and I'm the proud owner of a $500 paperweight at the moment.
[O/][iii][O/] 10:41 PM - 27 August, 2011
Band-AIds on a brand new unit should not be IMO.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:49 PM - 27 August, 2011
they should either provide a free signal booster to customers, or recall the product and sort it out,

really is unacceptable, bring it back and get a refund on the item [O/][iii][O/]
djcerla 10:50 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Band-AIds on a brand new unit should not be IMO.

See it this way: Novation added a 2nd output (booth out), a very popular feature. Of course, a separate out needs its own amplification; so the available power (the very small amount provided by the USB bus) had to be split equally. If gain is not a problem (i.e. You have plenty of gain left on your club mixer), then everything's fine.

But if you need more volume (i.e. gains are already cranked up) then just use a 4:2 cable, or, even faster, plug the booth out into another mixer channel. VoilĂ  3 additional dBs (double the volume)'.

Just my .002
[O/][iii][O/] 10:58 PM - 27 August, 2011
I understand the limitations of USB power... what I don't understand is why Novation would choose not to allow a power supply to be used with it so the unit can be used in all environments. The decision to cripple the unit to the point that's it's unusable for pro users in pro environments is mind-blowing.
djcerla 11:00 PM - 27 August, 2011
Have you tried to sum the signals?
[O/][iii][O/] 11:02 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:

Not yet, but I will at first opportunity and report back.
djcerla 11:08 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Try it first with 2 separate mixer channels. If everything's fine, lifting the 2nd fader should simply add more volume (bingo!). If lifting the 2nd fader you hear something like a "stereo spread" with loss of punch, then there's a phase problem.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:10 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Try it first with 2 separate mixer channels. If everything's fine, lifting the 2nd fader should simply add more volume (bingo!). If lifting the 2nd fader you hear something like a "stereo spread" with loss of punch, then there's a phase problem.

Will do. Thanks.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:11 PM - 27 August, 2011
BTW, any idea how my SL4 provides PLENTY of signal output when it's powered only by USB, but this Twitch unit doesn't and supposedly "can't"?
djcerla 11:15 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
BTW, any idea how my SL4 provides PLENTY of signal output when it's powered only by USB, but this Twitch unit doesn't and supposedly "can't"?

There are about 100 LEDs on the Twitch, plus a second sound output.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:17 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Right, but I can run ITCH w/ Twitch AND SL w/ SL4 both together simultaneously on my MacBook Pro with no probs.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:40 PM - 27 August, 2011
i'm guessing each usb port is providing 5v and power is only an issue when connecting multipal device that are power hungry,

i just can't believe that they didn't include a ac power option,

who ever they get to test this stuff are monkeys, i mean stop working with pros and shit that are only concerned with a pay check, get some regular dj's in and have a great product designed by the people for the people
[O/][iii][O/] 11:48 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
i just can't believe that they didn't include a ac power option,

who ever they get to test this stuff are monkeys, i mean stop working with pros and shit that are only concerned with a pay check, get some regular dj's in and have a great product designed by the people for the people

Amen.

Most "pros" I know are worthless douches anyway.

Wait, I'm a pro too, but you know what I mean. lol
Nonnus 12:25 PM - 28 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

how many outputs + inputs does the sl4 has ?
a few more than twitch, right ?
nik39 8:55 PM - 28 August, 2011
". If everything's fine, lifting the 2nd fader should simply add more volume (bingo!). If lifting the 2nd fader you hear something like a "stereo spread" with loss of punch, then there's a phase problem"

Cerla, do you mean "removing the 2nd fader or what do you mean by lifting it?
djcerla 8:59 PM - 28 August, 2011
Hi nik, I mean to add volume to the fader of the channel where booth out is plugged.
nik39 9:06 PM - 28 August, 2011
Can you elaborate?
nik39 9:08 PM - 28 August, 2011
Ah, you mean when you both (not booth ;)) outputs assigned to different channels on one mixer?
djcerla 9:53 PM - 28 August, 2011
Yup, booth (not "both") output sums to main output on two different channels of the club mixer.