Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Auto Loop (PRE)

AKIEM 9:17 AM - 7 September, 2007
so if we have measured loops, what if we could tap the end point?

if we could do this, I think it would be a very natural way of looping, you hear the loop before you loop it
nik39 4:14 PM - 7 September, 2007
Elaborate please...
AKIEM 8:02 PM - 7 September, 2007
suppose you want to loop the first bar,
instead of hitting the 'loop in' point on the loop and so on-

let the first bar play, set select auto loop 'one bar' and 'pre'
at the loop end point 'tap'
the play head jumps one bar back
and the loop is set, one bar

often, on the fly, Im ready to make a loop, but I might not be completely familiar with the song, so I start the loop, nah cancel, I dont like that one, try again. or damn that WOULD have been a cool loop, too bad I missed the 'loop in' point

you would not have to imagine (as much) what the loop might sound like by predicting whats beyond the start point having not heard it yet, or trying to remember what it sounds like

this way you hear something cool, "that would be a cool loop!" just hit the the 'loop out', and the 'loop in' is automatic set as well

I think this would end up being way more intuitive

you would be saying "loop that, what Im hearing now", not "loop that, what I am about to hear"

and hitting the button would produce a heard effect, jumping back. the way it is now just feels kinda soft and not interactive
Konix 8:12 PM - 7 September, 2007
So, basically, you want the autoloop to loop what's already been played, and not loop ahead X number of beats/bars? So loop behind, correct? This is how djDecks' autolooping works.
AKIEM 8:21 PM - 7 September, 2007
yes, I would be very happy
ekwipt 12:28 AM - 8 September, 2007
an option or keyboard shortcut would be nice
J.J. 8:12 AM - 8 September, 2007
Talk about a real emergency loop. I scene something similar in Deckadance.
allenbina 2:21 AM - 14 September, 2007
virtual dj also. its something serato should seriously look into.
dj luis 12:54 PM - 14 September, 2007
i'm not sure if i would use it- i always try to know very well my tracks to make sure i know when to loop... so make it an option...
Serato
Bill M 11:01 PM - 16 September, 2007
i really like this feature too (and am pushing for it). I think we could make it an option.

I've noticed a lot when djing along with a band that sometimes I'll get the cue from one of the musicians to "loop this right here" and either I'm super quick on instant doubles or I just gotta shrug it off.

It would also be handy when mixing out of a track. If you are trying to time a breakdown of one track to coincide with the end of another track, and you are one or two bars off, you could use to adjust it in the mix.

Also, if you accidentally let a track run out (no that I've ever done this), you could hit this quick and at least keep the beat going for enough time to get the next track ready to drop.
Konix 11:10 PM - 16 September, 2007
Well, if you do make it an option please have it as buttons (preferably with keyboard shortcuts) on the main screen by the loop area, and not a check box option in the setup menu. Sometimes I might want to loop forward, and sometime backwards. I don't want to have to go into the setup menu constantly to turn it on and off.
AKIEM 5:30 AM - 17 September, 2007
personally I would be good with a check box because I could still loop forward with the manual loop

but yes, I would prefer a control on the screen for this option
nik39 1:49 PM - 17 September, 2007
Sounds good, but I am not sure if an option is what we need. There might be cases where you want to immediately loop, and cases where need a post loop.
Marqs 5:02 PM - 26 September, 2007
Nice ideas here...
Ruudboy 4:05 AM - 27 September, 2007
Will the loop function always be locked to the relative mode?
AKIEM 10:20 PM - 17 October, 2007
Do you mean will we get loops for ABS mode?

I doubt it
Soulsonica™ 10:58 PM - 21 October, 2007
Wicked idea.
AKIEM 6:22 AM - 8 November, 2007
word
KMXE 2:59 AM - 9 November, 2007
i like this idea a lot - it gets my vote. now that i think about it i find myself wanting to set a loof after i hear the track

great idea!
AKIEM 4:27 AM - 9 November, 2007
Quote:
i like this idea a lot - it gets my vote. now that i think about it i find myself wanting to set a loof after i hear the track

haha yeah "a loof" I try to stay...
KMXE 5:18 AM - 9 November, 2007
ha! - oh sh*t - obviously i meant loop!
AKIEM 10:46 PM - 1 January, 2008
bumpbumpbump
Jeffsteez 2:15 PM - 14 January, 2008
good thread
DJ Jean Verano 7:21 PM - 15 January, 2008
that sounds great! keep it on fire...
AKIEM 7:27 PM - 25 April, 2008
fire
DJ Dub Cowboy 8:43 PM - 27 April, 2008
+1
allenbina 6:07 PM - 6 May, 2008
ya, it needs a bump
DJ Bouj 6:30 PM - 6 May, 2008
Quote:
suppose you want to loop the first bar,
instead of hitting the 'loop in' point on the loop and so on-

often, on the fly, Im ready to make a loop, but I might not be completely familiar with the song, so I start the loop, nah cancel, I dont like that one, try again. or damn that WOULD have been a cool loop, too bad I missed the 'loop in' point

you would not have to imagine (as much) what the loop might sound like by predicting whats beyond the start point having not heard it yet, or trying to remember what it sounds like

this way you hear something cool, "that would be a cool loop!" just hit the the 'loop out', and the 'loop in' is automatic set as well

I think this would end up being way more intuitive

you would be saying "loop that, what Im hearing now", not "loop that, what I am about to hear"

and hitting the button would produce a heard effect, jumping back. the way it is now just feels kinda soft and not interactive

can u not already adjust the start and end points of the loop once its been established already, so, i havent tried it yet, im at work, but couldnt you set a loop after hearing a sample u wanna loop, then readjust the start and end points, i guess its not the most convenient way of doing it, but seems logically possible
AKIEM 6:46 PM - 6 May, 2008
on the fly
?
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:14 AM - 8 May, 2008
+1

defo...altho most of my loops are pre made....

still would be good to have on the fly ones work like this
danski 5:02 PM - 8 May, 2008
i like the cut of your jib mr. A
+1 :)
nik39 5:43 PM - 9 August, 2008
Quote:

Can't believe I slept on this feature for such a long time.

It would be nice to have this feature!
Snubber 10:10 PM - 10 August, 2008
+1 for this idea, I'd love this.
AKIEM 8:55 PM - 30 November, 2008
bidump
nik39 8:57 PM - 30 November, 2008
+1
WarpNote 8:27 AM - 1 December, 2008
+1
AKIEM 8:42 AM - 1 December, 2008
I do a lot of throw a 2 bar loop on, and blend out. it would be sweet to not even bother with the start point, just tap on the end point...

I figure we could select between auto length Forward or Backward
WarpNote 8:45 AM - 1 December, 2008
Quote:
I do a lot of throw a 2 bar loop on, and blend out.

Me too, I instant double and blend out, end-point loops would be nice.
WarpNote 8:47 AM - 1 December, 2008
Also, would be nice if it was available with the loop roll too....
nobspangle 2:52 PM - 1 December, 2008
+1 this it would be really useful for looping the end of a breakdown when you don't know how long it is or when it ends.
It would have to be on a modifier though something+1-0 and we are seriously short what with the loop roll.
MrGoodie2shoes 9:03 PM - 1 December, 2008
great idea akiem +1
DonJuanDeMarco2 11:23 PM - 1 December, 2008
DO it !
C. William 6:10 AM - 5 February, 2009
Sweet idea.
Padu! 10:24 PM - 5 February, 2009
Best idea I've seen in a long time. (How could I miss this discussion??)

Usually it takes me a lot of time setting loops ins and outs on songs. This would make my job (that is not a job) much easyer.

+100!!!
AKIEM 1:17 AM - 26 February, 2009
I am happy playing with the loop roll for the moment but this one is still on the list
Foolio 11:14 AM - 26 February, 2009
+1 this just seems right
ekwipt 4:02 PM - 26 February, 2009
There should also be a way to move the same time amount of a loop either forward or backward
AKIEM 11:12 AM - 5 June, 2009
hows the wife and kids?
C. William 7:36 PM - 5 June, 2009
stay the course

never give up

it's not who falls down, but who gets back up
AKIEM 7:37 PM - 18 June, 2009
just tap the end point
PolishPat 9:14 AM - 25 June, 2009
+1 on this, and for the exact same reasons as Bill M stated himself.
ZESH! 6:40 PM - 2 July, 2009
bump again
RogerRabbit 5:49 PM - 7 July, 2009
+1

I got this in my other dj softwares... It easier pre than post for me..
DJ Dub Cowboy 5:56 PM - 7 July, 2009
I was really wanting this again, just the other day.

+2
AKIEM 8:09 PM - 7 July, 2009
Quote:
+1

I got this in my other dj softwares... It easier pre than post for me..

any video?
AKIEM 9:29 PM - 20 July, 2009
guess not
VJ Justin Allen 9:34 PM - 20 July, 2009
Is there a way to jump to loops like you jump to cue points?
nik39 9:42 PM - 20 July, 2009
Quote:
Is there a way to jump to loops like you jump to cue points?

Isn't that a bit offtopic?

The manual will tell you: ... selecte the loop, ctrl+click on loop. keyboard shortcuts --- ask the manual.
VJ Justin Allen 9:43 PM - 20 July, 2009
Ah, Nik39 strikes with his wit and wisdom again. Nice as always Nik.
nik39 9:57 PM - 20 July, 2009
You're welcome.
Audio Preacher 6:15 AM - 26 July, 2009
pre would be an absolute great option in the loop section on each deck +++1

also great would be the possibility to set the out-point before the in-point, so that a part of the song is spaced out. the playing-head reaches the out-point and jumps forward to the in-point... you can't believe how often I use my sample editor to make short edits of certain songs which play 'too long' to rock the crowd. can't think any reason why this seems impossible... it would save much much time for me and those edits would also be non-destructive which means everything can be changed later.
AKIEM 6:32 PM - 26 July, 2009
search for "splice"
Audio Preacher 4:31 PM - 27 July, 2009
ok thanks, didn't find that thread before... cool that so many guys are already into this

www.scratchlive.net
AKIEM 12:02 AM - 20 February, 2010
bump
AKIEM 4:51 AM - 1 March, 2010
is there even any reason that the default is forward?
WarpNote 9:28 AM - 1 March, 2010
I'm supporting your suggestion Akiem, playing the devils adovocate though, Id say the reason they made it forward in the first place, is that you have a chance to exit an autoloop before it actually loops, if the loop is not on point.

ie. old tracks/out of sync drummers, that kind of thing.
Happens a lot for me, so I pre-build quite a few loops manually...

Still, I'm not saying that's an argument for not enabling PRE loops in the software.
thebuttonfreak 5:26 AM - 2 March, 2010
Good Idea.
Tunecrew 7:46 PM - 10 March, 2010
+5 (me and my alternate personalities)
AKIEM 4:58 AM - 17 March, 2010
Quote:
I'm supporting your suggestion Akiem, playing the devils adovocate though, Id say the reason they made it forward in the first place, is that you have a chance to exit an autoloop before it actually loops, if the loop is not on point.

ie. old tracks/out of sync drummers, that kind of thing.
Happens a lot for me, so I pre-build quite a few loops manually...

Still, I'm not saying that's an argument for not enabling PRE loops in the software.

Right - I think
wouldnt the loop have to go through one cycle ether way to know it was off?

oh I see, you can only correct the 'out' point.

Maybe with an auto pre loop you could correct the 'in' (start)?
WarpNote 7:08 AM - 17 March, 2010
True, Akiem, what I'm saying is, when triggering an autoloop on the fly, (in current implementation) you have the chance of exiting it if the out point is wrong.

When triggering a pre auto loop, If the in point is wrong you would not have time to exit it, as triggering would take you instantly to the in point, just like triggering a cue point. (or am I missing something here?)

On a similar note, it would be nice if it was possible to double/half the normal (post) auto loop (or even manual loops), having the out point constant/anchored, so that cutting/adding would happen from the beginning of the loop. Would allow for some interesting build ups and echos..

Again, these are not arguments against pre auto loops, they would be real nice to have, and would sure save my ass, once a while.
AKIEM 2:49 PM - 27 June, 2010
yeah, there are + and - to most features I guess.

I am still bent on being able to hear the loop before you make it.
it would be lovely
AKIEM 7:32 PM - 20 July, 2011
+1
AKIEM 11:50 AM - 31 October, 2011
+2
WarpNote 12:26 PM - 1 November, 2011
+3