Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Professional-Grade Controller Solution Concept for Serato ITCH (X1 Killer)

[O/][iii][O/] 8:13 PM - 26 August, 2011
Seeings apparently not a single manufacturer of DJ gear is addressing the professional DJ for Serato ITCH, I wanted to light a fire under some butts to get a move on and produce a Kontrol X1 type controller for DJs who need a compact, portable, professional-grade controller solution for interfacing and working with high-quality main mixers at venues, events, etc. Comments, suggestions, criticism all welcomed.

Concept A: i802.photobucket.com
[O/][iii][O/] 8:17 PM - 26 August, 2011
Part of concept is one unit could control two decks via layers OR...

two decks discretely with two units OR...

two decks discretely AND two decks via layers with two units.
maestromind 8:17 PM - 26 August, 2011
That's a brilliant idea. I'd also love to plug that into my NS7 setup so I can have TWITCH-like slicer and trigger capabilities without sacrificing the platters.
[O/][iii][O/] 8:23 PM - 26 August, 2011
Dream with me here guys...

i802.photobucket.com

That is to scale too.

Should linear pitch control be on left as shown or right like traditional TT/CDJ?
seratosnatch 8:42 PM - 26 August, 2011
great idea!!
[O/][iii][O/] 8:52 PM - 26 August, 2011
Also note how all the buttons are LABELED so you can actually see what it is you're controlling in dark environments.
[O/][iii][O/] 8:54 PM - 26 August, 2011
I've noticed some manufacturers this point by labeling the control surface only and not the illuminated buttons - which is fine in daylight, but worthless in the dark (where this type of gear gets used the most).
[O/][iii][O/] 8:54 PM - 26 August, 2011
"miss" this point (damn no edit feature here)
[O/][iii][O/] 9:02 PM - 26 August, 2011
All button pads and rotary knobs are nice and BIG too... .75" (except for library navigation buttons which are .5")

Linear pitch control is same exact dimensions as Technics TTs.

Comfy, spacious, ergonomic layout without the need to switch between a layers to access the most commonly used functions (eg: SP-6 sampler bank, hot cues and loops). See it, press, GO.
Ragman 9:54 PM - 26 August, 2011
Great idea and a badass pic. Although Rane being the maker is a stretch. I felt Novation should have put something like this out before attempting Twitch as this is right up their alley. But you're right we desperately need something like this and soon.
maestromind 9:54 PM - 26 August, 2011
I hope the reason nobody from Serato/Rane responded to this yet is because they're drafting you an offer letter.
maestromind 9:56 PM - 26 August, 2011
Quote:
Rane being the maker is a stretch.

I think that's true. Novation is def the obvious choice - it'd be somewhat akin to NI making Kontrol S2 from the S4. Take away the soundcard, split up the "decks" and work in the SLL connectivity.
Ragman 9:58 PM - 26 August, 2011
I guess it makes to much dam sense. But this is an instant money maker.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:30 PM - 26 August, 2011
Update: Concept A2 i802.photobucket.com
DjFuentes82 12:04 AM - 27 August, 2011
We need that Sp-6 controller ASAP.
djcerla 12:13 AM - 27 August, 2011
Just get a X1, if a X1 is what you need.

By the way, ITCH platform already offers great professional-grade controller solutions, the most professional ones, in my honest opinion.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:21 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:

By the way, ITCH platform already offers great professional-grade controller solutions, the most professional ones, in my honest opinion.

X1 will not work with ITCH

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an ITCH controller currently available from anyone that works with outboard mixers (other than V7, but that is not the same type of solution).
[O/][iii][O/] 12:21 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
We need that Sp-6 controller ASAP.

Agreed.
DjFuentes82 12:26 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:

+1 on Itch having Professional-grade controllers, but Itch doesnt yet have a controller for the sampler, thats where Itch's version of the X1 will come to play. I'm sure its in the works but 'till then we can only dream...
djcerla 12:36 AM - 27 August, 2011
Much better a midi mappable sp-6. For example, I dislike pads, love piano keyboards.

Back to X1: there's a shipping product called X1 that does the X1 thing very well. Only drawback: Traktor, but you will survive.
[O/][iii][O/] 12:50 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Much better a midi mappable sp-6. For example, I dislike pads, love piano keyboards.

Back to X1: there's a shipping product called X1 that does the X1 thing very well. Only drawback: Traktor, but you will survive.

SL user since day one here and trying very, VERY hard to stay in the Serato camp. I use Traktor too and don't like near as much as ITCH 2.0, but the limited hardware choices for it is straining my relationship.
DjFuentes82 12:53 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:

I think you're missing the point, X1 is only been used as a reference. We're looking for a Midi Mappable controller to trigger the Sp-6 sampler (much like the X1 does for Traktor).
I personally love Serato, and have (own) other softwares which i have tested. I'm not gonna make this about other software because this thread is not about that.
Must of us are waiting for some type of controller to work the sampler through Pads or other means.
DjFuentes82 12:55 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I use Traktor too and don't like near as much as ITCH 2.0.

+1
Maskrider 1:25 AM - 27 August, 2011
Sp-6 and EFx combined in one controller is what we need.
DjFuentes82 1:31 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Sp-6 and EFx combined in one controller is what we need.

That would be the total package. Keep hope alive....
[O/][iii][O/] 2:57 AM - 27 August, 2011
Update: Concept A3 i802.photobucket.com
[O/][iii][O/] 3:01 AM - 27 August, 2011
Perhaps this concept could work WITHOUT a soundcard if licensed through Rane so these get linked to SL2/3/4 via USB and the the SL interface becomes the soundcard AND the dongle that unlocks ITCH. Multiple birds with one stone.
Ragman 4:13 AM - 27 August, 2011
You know the more I look at your concept photo, the more I really liking that mockup. Hell I'm ready to do a preorder. lol
diezdiaz 5:10 AM - 27 August, 2011
This seems like something allen & heath would be more likely to make. I really don't think were going to see rane enter the itch market, as I thought this was seratos way of getting away from being rane exclusive
[O/][iii][O/] 5:26 AM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
This seems like something allen & heath would be more likely to make. I really don't think were going to see rane enter the itch market, as I thought this was seratos way of getting away from being rane exclusive

I'd be cool with that... as long as A&H kept it professional/industrial. Some of there stuff gets to be a bit campy and childish design-wise, but other stuff they keep proper.
[O/][iii][O/] 5:49 AM - 27 August, 2011
Concept B1 (2/4 deck combined unit) i802.photobucket.com
diezdiaz 5:53 AM - 27 August, 2011
Xone 2D!
[O/][iii][O/] 1:49 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Xone 2D!

How is that relevant to this thread?

PS BTW FYI OMG BBQ: XONE 2D won't even work with ITCH.
diezdiaz 2:04 PM - 27 August, 2011
Similar concept and same foot print. I know it won't work with itch, you dont need to be condescending
[O/][iii][O/] 3:02 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Similar concept and same foot print. I know it won't work with itch, you dont need to be condescending

Actually, no, the Xone 2D is not a similar concept, not even close. It doesn't have a soundcard.

PS: No condensation intended (lol)
Ragman 4:04 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Actually, no, the Xone 2D is not a similar concept, not even close. It doesn't have a soundcard.

PS: No condensation intended (lol)

Actually the Xone 2D does have a soundcard. ;-)
[O/][iii][O/] 4:13 PM - 27 August, 2011
I stand corrected. I was confusing it with something else. Thanks ragman. Apologies diezdiaz.
Ragman 4:34 PM - 27 August, 2011
I still dig your design and I hope one of these companies like A&H are taking note. A controller like that would be awesome.
diezdiaz 6:00 PM - 27 August, 2011
:D we're on the same page, these "all in ones" are nice and all but the fact is a "pro" tool should be adaptable and there aren't enough options if you want to stick with itch
Papa Midnight 6:12 PM - 27 August, 2011
I wonder what's stopping people from midi-mapping a standard midi pad to keyboard presses for SP-6?
diezdiaz 6:54 PM - 27 August, 2011
Laziness.
Ragman 7:30 PM - 27 August, 2011
Money.
Why buy a standard MIDI controller when an Itch solution may be forth coming. ;-)
DjFuentes82 7:33 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Money.
Why buy a standard MIDI controller when an Itch solution may be forth coming. ;-)

+1
[O/][iii][O/] 7:41 PM - 27 August, 2011
Here's a shot of Concept B to scale next to Rane Empath for reference.

Note "DECKS 2-3-4" switch on back so users who wish to run only two or three decks can set it up so ITCH GUI only displays three decks (saving valuable real estate by not showing extra un-used decks).

i802.photobucket.com
[O/][iii][O/] 7:42 PM - 27 August, 2011
or only display two decks if desired as well
DJ 3RDDEGREE 7:26 PM - 19 September, 2011
How about Serato open Itch to the Vestax PAD-One?
Musically Minded 8:11 PM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
Here's a shot of Concept B to scale next to Rane Empath for reference.

Note "DECKS 2-3-4" switch on back so users who wish to run only two or three decks can set it up so ITCH GUI only displays three decks (saving valuable real estate by not showing extra un-used decks).

i802.photobucket.com

its missing buttons to switch between sample banks A,B,C & D, just a thought ;-)
Julynessi 8:45 AM - 20 September, 2011
I'm not just map a keystroke event
I'm map every mouse pointer
and every mouse drag(if need eg. sample vol.fader)
and yes...i try this with alot of midi controller
It's seem KX1 was fit.