Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Video files Corrupting in 2.3

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
tomatoslice 10:02 PM - 25 August, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.3.0
Hardware: rane-ttm57sl
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.8
---

i have videos that were just fine in previous versions of serato.
now with 2.3, after re- analyzing, they show as corrupted.
why would they work fine in one version and not the other?
will this crash serato?

the file has not changed in anyway, except that it was re-analyzed.

many people are having this same issue
when i say "many people" i mean every person that i know that does video and went to 2.3."

10:31 PM, 25 Aug 2011
Discussion moved to Video-SL Help
tomatoslice 10:53 PM - 25 August, 2011
so this is a VSL issue and not an SSl issue?
even though this occurs TOTALLY in SSL and the code for VSL is exactly the same as before.
plus, i was not running or had VSL on when this happened.

is this a VSL issue because compliance for video to wok proper with SSL is up to the VSL devs?

moving this makes no sense to me.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 3:02 AM - 26 August, 2011
Hi tomatoslice,

I can understand your frustration here, this issue has arisen with a few users but not all users.

It seems to be in the Tag writing which is done in Scratch Live at this stage I can't give you a definitive answer on why it is happening. Im going to raise this as a HIGH priority with the Scratch Live development team and I will keep you informed as and when new information comes to light.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Anthony
tomatoslice 9:24 AM - 26 August, 2011
thank you very much.
it does seem to be a tag writing issue.

i know it may seem like a few people with this issue but in the video world, which we here very little from serato in, it is a LOT of people. most of us as a matter of fact. you must realize there are many more people that aren't even reporting the issue and even more than aren't even involved in the forums to know to report it

and thank you for recognizing this as a Scratch Live problem...
or at least making me feel as if you seem to think it's an SSL issue. lol.

either way, Thank You.
DJ Unique 7:23 AM - 27 August, 2011
I'm tracking this discussion since I'm also affected.
djinfamos 10:59 AM - 27 August, 2011
I just had video 1.2 sl crash but not 2.3 crash while i was playing live .... does anyone know how to restart video when it crashes and serato doesn't while playing live ??????
tomatoslice 2:06 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
I just had video 1.2 sl crash but not 2.3 crash while i was playing live .... does anyone know how to restart video when it crashes and serato doesn't while playing live ??????

i would think all you do is press the video button again.
tomatoslice 4:18 PM - 27 August, 2011
if that does not it night be because vsl is still running in some way.
go into the plugins tab, uncheck enable vsl plugin (which will shut off vsl), recheck it and then go press the video button.

don't confuse enable with deauthorize.
tomatoslice 4:21 PM - 27 August, 2011
typo correction

Quote:
if that does not WORK it is be because vsl is still running in some way.
go into the plugins tab, uncheck enable vsl plugin (which will shut off vsl), recheck it and then go press the video button.

btw do no't confuse enable with deauthorize.
tomatoslice 4:42 PM - 27 August, 2011
Quote:
Hi tomatoslice,

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Anthony

so is there a fix for this?
we can not keep having videos becoming corrupted.
should we, those with the problem, downgrade to another version?
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 1:45 AM - 29 August, 2011
Hi tomatoslice,

At this stage it may be best for you to revert back to Scratch Live 2.2 until we resolve the corruption issue. As not to corrupt any more of your video files.
Could you please attach some of the corrupted files to this thread.

I will keep you informed as we work through this issue here.
tomatoslice 3:03 PM - 29 August, 2011
ok thank you.
tomatoslice 3:06 PM - 29 August, 2011
i have already switched back and deleted the corrupted files.
i will see if someone else will upload some.
Nathan Looney 6:31 PM - 2 September, 2011
I am also having the same issue. Running a Mac Book Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo 8GB Ram using Rane Sixty-Eight Mixer. Most of my videos are stored on external OWC drive via fire wire. I was DJing and in the middle of the night on 3 separate occasions the video would drop out and even the waveform would disappear and audio would cut in and out. So I am too having the same issue, I am not sure if it is trying to reanalyze the file or what it is doing. Though I switched back to 2.2 and I didn’t have any issues.

Also is there ever going to be an update to Video SL 1.2? You always hear rumors but are the rumors true? Had a few of my friends switch to Mixemergency and they seem to love it. Though most of my friends are still running 2.2, most of them know better to update until the update has been out for a few months.
tomatoslice 12:14 AM - 3 September, 2011
Looney, as far as the issues when you were playing out;
what most of us have found is analyzing or re-analyzing ALL of your videos beforehand tends to vastly decrease the issues like the one you mentioned.
so try analyzing all the tracks you plan on playing again.

AnthonyS, i noticed a verion 2.3.1 was avaialble for dload but the dload link has reverted back to 2.3.
was this a mistake?
which should we be using?
Nathan Looney 8:42 PM - 3 September, 2011
i will re-analyze all my files but tonight I am sticking with version 2.2 but will update after this weekend.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 1:14 AM - 5 September, 2011
Hi tomatoslice,

Scratch Live 2.3.1 is there for download there were specific fixes incorporated into this maintenance release. I have passed the .MP4 corruption info on to the Scratch Live developers who are looking in to this.
I will keep you informed on this one.

@ Nathan Looney have you started a help thread for your issues we will help you out there.
DplayZ 6:02 PM - 6 September, 2011
i've been paying close attention to this conversation in hopes of a solution because I'm also having this issue of corrupting video files. after my video files were analyzed a few of them would get corrupt upon loading it to a deck. i'm running a 1.6 ghz quad core, 6 mb ram, 1tb hd with rane 68 mixer. First question i have is, is my computer adequate to run video sl? second how do i open the video screen once it crashed? pressing the video button doesn't open it. thirdly is there anything i can do to not have my videos currupted....was there a fix for this issue in 2.3.1? I have to dj this weekend sept 10 and i'm afraid of having an issue while playing. any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
tomatoslice 11:43 PM - 6 September, 2011
they may tell you to start a new help request, DplayZ.
frankly i would like to see those questions answered.

also DplayZ, could you upload a video that has been corrupted for serato to see?
12:04 AM, 7 Sep 2011
DplayZ attached a file: Enrique - Tonight [Dirty] (DJ U.D. & Jowin Remix) Curse.mp4
Download· Permalink
DplayZ 12:05 AM - 7 September, 2011
yes instead of deleting them i moved all the damaged files to a different folder soo yes i still have all of them saved in a different folder, a folder that serato doesn't read for music. i didn't want it to be in my library because i've read about bad files can cause serato to crash. this is kinda frustrating because i just spent 2600 on a new mixer and now my videos play pretty much when they feel like it. also some videos i played before in serato and it was fine...no glitches or anything, then next day i tried playing the same vid and all of a sudden it's corrupted.
tomatoslice 12:19 AM - 7 September, 2011
yep, i know what you mean.
tomatoslice 12:21 AM - 7 September, 2011
i'd like to know why this is a vsl support issue and not ssl.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 3:31 AM - 7 September, 2011
Hi tomatoslice,

We are still working through this issue to find out why the .MP4 files are being corrupted.

I have a suspicion that it is related to the .MP4 to .MP4 association Bug. Whereby these associations are losing the link somehow.

tomatoslice could you please upload some of the files that were OK in 2.2 that 2.3 deemed corrupt ?

@DplayZ that file that you uploaded was deemed corrupt as you stated, I did notice that the file was associated to another file and I assume it was .MP4 to .MP4. Do you think you could find the file that it was associated with and upload that also ?

I will keep you guys updated as new info comes to light.

Thanks

Anthony
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 3:54 AM - 7 September, 2011
HI DplayZ,

The file that you uploaded was this the original before it was tagged corrupt ?
4:03 AM, 7 Sep 2011
tomatoslice attached a file: The Fixx - One Thing Leads To Another [Single] {TnS} - Clean.mp4
Download· Permalink
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 5:02 AM - 7 September, 2011
Hi tomatoslice,

I have downloaded that file and all is OK at my end. I analyzed it in Scratch Live 2.3 and it wasn't tagged corrupt. Do you have a couple of other files that you have that were tagged corrupt.

Thanks
tomatoslice 5:07 AM - 7 September, 2011
try analyzing it in a previous version first then send it to 2.3 maybe
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 5:18 AM - 7 September, 2011
Hi tomatoslice,

Yeah, I tried that with the original .MP4.

I analyzed it in 2.2.2 closed Scratch Live then opened 2.3 and re-analyzed it again and still no corruption ???
Could you upload a couple more .MP4 files that were corrupt.

Cheers,

Anthony
tomatoslice 5:37 AM - 7 September, 2011
unfortunately i do not have anymore.
they have been deleted.
DplayZ 1:41 PM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
HI DplayZ,

The file that you uploaded was this the original before it was tagged corrupt ?

Quote:

the file i uploaded was a converted file from youtube(most of my files are and for the most part i'd say about 80% of them are still playing fine without any corruption so far)...after converting from youtube i first played it with wmp and it played fine...infact they all played fine. i can't remember exactly when this specific file got corrupted but i do remember it played fine the first time after being analyzed in serato...it was the next day i tried playing it and found it to be corrupted on loading.

@DplayZ that file that you uploaded was deemed corrupt as you stated, I did notice that the file was associated to another file and I assume it was .MP4 to .MP4. Do you think you could find the file that it was associated with and upload that also ?

I will keep you guys updated as new info comes to light.

Thanks

Anthony

Hey anythony i'm not aware that this video file was associated with another file, so i don't know which other file to upload...if you can find a file name i can try to locate it. I've been using serato for a few years now and love it which is why i decided to purchase a brand new rane 68 mixer so i could take my gig to another level, but this uncertainty of my files being good or corrupted is hazardous to business right now. i will upload another file i have that played fine first couple of times but now it's corrupted.
DplayZ 1:52 PM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
i'm running a 1.6 ghz quad core, 6 mb ram, 1tb hd all music on my hd with rane 68 mixer. First question i have is, is my computer adequate to run video sl?

Anthony ?
tomatoslice 6:02 PM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
i'm running a 1.6 ghz quad core, 6 mb ram, 1tb hd all music on my hd with rane 68 mixer. First question i have is, is my computer adequate to run video sl?

Anthony ?

i would think that is more than adequate.

if Anthony is replying by serato office hours he may not get back to you until at least 4 hours after the time of this post. they are closed. it's about 6 am there.
DplayZ 8:00 PM - 7 September, 2011
oh i didn't know that, i'm in ny but thanks tomatoslice for responding. it's just frustrating trying to figure out what to do to get vsl not to crash or corrupt anymore of my files.
DplayZ 8:10 PM - 7 September, 2011
Quote:
i have videos that were just fine in previous versions of serato.
now with 2.3, after re- analyzing, they show as corrupted.
why would they work fine in one version and not the other?
will this crash serato?

the file has not changed in anyway, except that it was re-analyzed.

Hey tomatoslice i'm curious to know why did you reanalyzed you files after updating your serato software? is this required? because if it is i never reanalyzed mines after updating nor was i aware i was suppose to.
tomatoslice 2:25 AM - 8 September, 2011
because many people, especially those that jump as far as i did from 192 to 2.3, have problems with running video if they don't.

if you make a leap especially from 192 to the ones above 2.0 without analyzing your vids and then play out what will happen is your videos with rewrite themselves or analyze after you've played them (or something like that).
you will be using more resources AND running video what occurs can be dropouts and general problems. not something you want at a live gig.
there's quite a few posts on that issue.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 3:30 AM - 8 September, 2011
Hi tomatoslice,

Thanks for the responses with DplayZ I'm going to get him to open his own thread and I will assist him there as he is on a Windows OS and experiencing different issues than what you have been experiencing. On that note we are still working through the corruption issue and .MP4 associations. How have you been going recently ? I will keep you informed on this.

@DplayZ could you please start a help thread of your own and I will assist you there. It will be easier to build a profile of your problems in relation to your operating system.

Thanks guys

Anthony
tomatoslice 3:49 AM - 8 September, 2011
ooh, he's on windowsss. yea, i'd start a new thread.
might be easier on serato too.

my setup is fine. i dropped back to a version i knew was very stable.
still a little confused as to why this is a video sl issue.
is it due to the fact that they are video files? and vsl is the plugin that allows ssl to read or play even the audio from an mp4? i would think that SSL should just be written to play videos, even the audio. but if that is not the case then i get it.
tomatoslice 3:50 AM - 8 September, 2011
is it because something in the old vsl is not compatible with the new ssl so you have to figure out how to get vsl and ssl to work together to get the problem fixed?
Serato
Glenn M 5:52 AM - 8 September, 2011
I can confirm DplayZ's Enrique track is marked as corrupt. It probably something to do with their being a video length to audio length mismatch as it just displays a still frame. SSL should be able to play this track because Quicktime can, so I will have to investigate this more.

In regards to the tomatoslice's "The Fixx' track. It doesn't get marked as corrupt in 22033 or 23065 after an analyze.
nik39 6:37 AM - 8 September, 2011
Quote:
It probably something to do with their being a video length to audio length mismatch as it just displays a still frame.

This has never been a problem in previous versions. And I still have a few vids which have differing lengths but they don't show any corruption icon.
tomatoslice 8:29 AM - 8 September, 2011
So what he it's saying is that since the audio ends before the video thatt may cause the corruption?
That's interesting...but many videos do that, many.
tomatoslice 8:31 AM - 8 September, 2011
Or does the audio end last?
Serato
Glenn M 9:47 PM - 8 September, 2011
Quote:
This has never been a problem in previous versions. And I still have a few vids which have differing lengths but they don't show any corruption icon.

This explanation is going to get a bit geeky but...
What happens is we create Quicktime movie objects by defining a set of parameters for the movie to adhere to. i.e.
Don't go opening up popups
Don't bother to load video streaming (SSL just does audio)
Don't have Quicktime trying to prompt user for info
etc.

Unfortunately for the Enrique file that has been uploaded here, the movie object is never created because the Quicktime movie creation function that we use, doesn't like it. It does make me wonder how the file has an an overview though. Did this file use to be able to play in Scratch Live?

I can try some different Quicktime movie loading methods and see if they work.