DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Scratch Live 2.3 gain bug

Johnnynights 7:08 PM - 16 August, 2011
I have a sl2 and was using 2.2.2 and happy with it then i decided to update to the new 2.3 and many songs were playing at low volume and i decided to go back to 2.2.2 and now they sound good.

I think the new 2.3 has a bug with the auto gain do any of you guys have this problem?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:33 PM - 16 August, 2011
Yes, there are some known auto gain bugs in 2.3. Serato is aware and have it slated to get worked on. If the previous version works as desired, I would roll with that version until this gets resolved.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:35 PM - 16 August, 2011
why was 2.3 released when this was a known issue in the beta?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:25 PM - 16 August, 2011
There are only so many hours in the day but I understand where you are coming from. I have personally logged bugs that remain open but I know that Serato has spent many hours, days and weeks retooling the bug reporting and tracking system. They didn't nail 100% of the known issues in this release how ever they made some pretty important and major improvements with 2.3.

Having a permanent fix for the MAC recognizing the TTM57 was an important issue, making those people wait would have be a disservice.

Adding the official Asio and Core audio drivers for Rane devices was huge.

The driver auto installer will save people at gigs too. Instead of needing to know you have to manually install the driver on PC and then know how to do it on the spot, now on a PC if you've never used an Sl-2, Sl-4 or any of the other hardware, it will auto install the driver when you connect and then you can play the gig. Better than sitting there with a Hardware Disconnected message and a crowd of angry faces.

So 2.3 has many needed and important updates. Please continue the excellent work of helping Serato find bugs and next beta phase, check this issue and if it persists, raise a stink ;)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:02 PM - 16 August, 2011
Props on that answer Chad..
Free Man 12:59 AM - 17 August, 2011
I have 26,000 songs that I need to analyze. I had only put about a thousand through last night. I just clicked analyze, how would I be able to tell if the gain was messed up with them?
Johnnynights 2:33 AM - 17 August, 2011
@ Chad,yeah hopefully they fix that issue im going to roll with 2.2.2,oh and by the way the asio and core audio drivers are for like if i want to use traktor or another dvs with my sl2 right?

@ Free Man the songs gain wont be messed up they will just sound low,i noticed this because i was practicing in my house and many songs were low and i taught i had my volume lowered but no, then i tried 2.2.2 again and they sounded punchier,i would recommend you 2.2.2 if you want more sound.

I like my peeps to feel the music nice and punchy
L2daGee 3:21 AM - 17 August, 2011
I did notice that all my tracks seem to play at lower volume level in 2.3. I thought it was because I upgraded to a new MacBook Pro the same day 2.3 was released, but this explains it. Not a big deal though. I'll just have to crank it for now.
Los 3:36 AM - 17 August, 2011
How's it going Scratch Live users! So I updated my Scratch Live to 2.3 (i have SL-1) and using ttm-56 mixer. Now when i wanted to record a mix earlier today i noticed it wasn't receiving a recording signal and when i went to playback it didn't record anything I'm pretty sure i connected everything correctly. And before i started recording the record volume meter was already receiving volume without nothing playing, help please!!
Johnnynights 3:58 AM - 17 August, 2011
Los im not so sure but the sl1 is not made to record but theres a way,you need another program to do that for you,check this video out hope it helps you out =)

Watchwww.youtube.com
DeeJay*CASPER 4:31 AM - 17 August, 2011
daam Chad…you went to public relations classes?? excellent answer

i wouldve said "how bout i come over and shove this keyboard down your throat"…..lol
DeeJay*CASPER 4:34 AM - 17 August, 2011
oh yea by the way…i didnt have that problem or any issues at all
DJWarrenKelly 4:39 AM - 17 August, 2011
Glad its not just me o the Vol. issue….But just raise your external gain a bit to compensate the difference…thats the work around for me ;)
Rane, Support
Chad S. 3:37 PM - 17 August, 2011
@johnnynights - yes, the asio and core audio drivers allow you to use your Rane hardware as a soundcard for other asio and core audio supported software. Ableton is another good example of a program you can use the box as a soundcard with.

If your overall volume output seems lower in 2.3 instead of adjusting the auto gain or trying to do each track individually, use the master volume knob in the upper right hand corner of the main page. This will evenly boost the levels of both decks.
The Return of Dj Sparky 3:52 PM - 17 August, 2011
I love how quality control is slipping and everyone is just accepting it,

looks like 2.2.0 is the new 1.9.2
djcrap 3:57 PM - 17 August, 2011
Quote:
I love how quality control is slipping and everyone is just accepting it,

Amen to that

sad but true.._:-(
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:57 PM - 17 August, 2011
haha you guys wana see the KNOWN bugs list serato posted publically by mistake in the beta forum there is LOADS!!! That list did not last long till taken down haha, shame they cant find the resources to fix these bugs.

+1 on sort these gain issues out!
djcrap 4:19 PM - 17 August, 2011
Quote:
haha you guys wana see the KNOWN bugs list serato posted publically by mistake in the beta forum there is LOADS!!! That list did not last long till taken down haha, shame they cant find the resources to fix these bugs.

+1 on sort these gain issues out!

that explains why in every beta this year 2011 less and less people have been bothering to participate in every coming beta this year cause they have been like f******k it my bugs where not addressed in the last 2-4 betas so why bother i will just stick to what works for me.... unlike in the previous years where more betas were rolling out in a timely manner thanks to VSl that kind of helped them to re-visit sl and fix some of the bugs in every vsl beta......where there were so many participants always eager to try out the new features.

but since the death of vsl to some of us who were die hard funs of vsl beta are not big funs of sl betas cause there is nothing exciting for me or any vsl user to look forward to participating in any beta! as compared to the previous years before 2011
Daktyl 5:13 PM - 17 August, 2011
judging from all the problems everyone seems to be having, I think I'll just stick with 2.2 until I see what the next update looks like...
Quote:

naming cue points would be cool and all, but....
4mydawgz 5:48 PM - 17 August, 2011
The Gain has never worked with me. My main problem is the stuttering virtual platter. Hope they were able to fix that at least. Probably not... but I can still hope.
Johnnynights 5:48 AM - 18 August, 2011
Thanks Chad thats a cool thing now i can use my sl2 with another program.

Thats a good idea for the master volume but i think ima stick with 2.2.2 ill wait for another update =)
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:51 AM - 18 August, 2011
^ Gain bugs are in 2.2.2 thats when they started.
DJWarrenKelly 4:08 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:

DOH! 0_0
Johnnynights 6:58 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:

You think so? 2.2.2 seemed fine to me but in 2.3 the gain was giving problems like some songs really low
Free Man 7:03 PM - 18 August, 2011
What is the points of a master gain?

Each channel has a pitch, there is auto pitch, and mixers have master, pitch controls, and faders... Why would SSL need a master? I forgot all about it until it was mentioned here
Rane, Support
Chad S. 7:43 PM - 18 August, 2011
Sl-1 output is lower than the Sl-3 for example. So if you used an SL-1 and "gained" all of your tracks individually (as I do) you will now have more headroom when connected to the SL-3. Instead of change each individual track each time I play on a different device, I can simply adjust the master output and then my levels will stay true regardless of what device I use.
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:04 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

You think so? 2.2.2 seemed fine to me but in 2.3 the gain was giving problems like some songs really low

Nope i 100% know so lol. 2.2.0 Is last working version. 2.3.0 Is worse than 2.2.2 as 2.2.2 is just the led vu meters were giving a low reading but the audio was fine. But if luke me you always set ur volumes to in the yellow in 2.2.2 that would make the file to loud and distorted.
Johnnynights 8:38 PM - 18 August, 2011
^ lol,hey is it true that i cant use the older versions of serato like 1.9.2 with my sl2?

I never let any of my files touch the red pure green which means go lol.

Quote:
Sl-1 output is lower than the Sl-3 for example. So if you used an SL-1 and "gained" all of your tracks individually (as I do) you will now have more headroom when connected to the SL-3. Instead of change each individual track each time I play on a different device, I can simply adjust the master output and then my levels will stay true regardless of what device I use.

Hey Chad but isnt the sl2 and the new soundcards louder since they are 24 bit and the sl1 is 16 bit?
Rane, Support
Chad S. 9:07 PM - 18 August, 2011
^^yes.
xtoph 7:52 PM - 20 August, 2011
i use sl3 and i was using 2.2.2 for a few weeks and now 2.3 and I started noticing a few weeks back that suddenly most of my music sounded distorted and overmodulated. i had to pull the master gain down to the minimum level - only then it was acceptable (even though still not 100% clean). i try switching back to 2.20 now and i hope the problem will be gone....
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:39 PM - 20 August, 2011
^ Thats a strange problem and sounds like your plugging your sl-3 into a phono input on the mixer. I have my sl-3 mater on 3 oclock and my gains into the yellow. And it sounds quality wise 100% fine.
xtoph 9:55 PM - 20 August, 2011
thanks, but no i have been using serato for 2 years now, i use line inputs at the mixer. i know it's strange, I'll study it more and pass on information in case i find out anything
DJwreckdown 2:07 PM - 4 September, 2011
I don't think its a major problem... i just put the master gain up and turn it up on the mixer
phonze 3:34 PM - 4 September, 2011
Now that you guys mention it, I think I've noticed it as well. I've been cranking the gains up on my mixer way over the halfway point
The Right One 5:58 PM - 27 September, 2011
I have also noticed while using 2.3, that if I gain a song perfectly today. When I launch SSL 2.3 tomorrow it may or may not be a the same Gain Level. For some reason it seems to read the gain of your tracks inconsistently. So I found myself constantly fixing the gain until I realized that its version 2.3 & just went back to 2.2.2 . That is only 1 of the many issue I have with SSL at this time. The others can't be fixed by rolling back words. i.e., Keeps reloading my .MP4s to my library at start up, even tho, they had already been in my library (witch also slow down boot up time & constantly changes the date added to the date & time you launched SSL) & out of the 4 views SSL offers, why is the view I use, the only view without a GAIN control on the screen. I'm from the old school & want to see as little as possible on the screen when I mix. I don't need to watch a waveform in order to blend, But, since we are talking about LEVELS, can I get a GAIN control on that VIEW? Auto gain only gets but so close & I like my sets to sound perfect. I can't stand having to hit the space only to gain a track & then hit the space bar again when I'm finished. Alot of extra work for no reason!!!
DJ Tecniq 4:16 AM - 5 October, 2011
This doesn't make sense at all to me. My friend has an SL2 and we installed it on my mac. However there is a gain problem with 2.2.2 for the SL2 & SL4. When I use my SL1 with serato 2.2.0 there is no gain problem? Now is it 2.2.2 or the SL2 that is causing this problem? I have a gig tommorrow with my friend who has SL2 which we'll be using however everytime we use 2.2.2 (for the sl2) we get the gain problem. Why the hell would you come out with SL2 & SL4 when this issue clearly is happening with 2.2.2 (for SL2 & SL4)
DJ Tecniq 4:17 AM - 5 October, 2011
is there a way I can bypass this? 2.2.0 is perfectly fine however it is not supported for SL2. Why!!
The Right One 12:52 AM - 7 October, 2011
All I know is that I use the TTM57 & the gain works fine with 2.2.2 at least with the 57 that is. But when U jump up to 2.3 or 2.3.1 The Gain is inconsistent. Most of the time its low, so I will Gain it up & then 1 day I'll boot up my SSL with 2.3 & all of a sudden all my audio is mad loud. so I say WTF, shut down & restart & then its back to normal. Bottom line Using 2.3 with the 57 is like the luck of the draw if your gain is gonna be correct or not. I can't deal with that!! I had all my gains perfect before I started using 2.3. Now they are all over the place. I went back to 2.2.2 & I'm trying to slowly get my crates back to normal. The other issue, is I was gonna upgrade my Mac, But if U use the 57 & a new mac, U have to use 2.3 or higher, unless U boot up in 32 bit mode. I'm just gonna wait it out... At least what I have is working....
The Right One 3:10 AM - 13 October, 2011
OK I JUST FOUND THE GLITCH! Well the scenario that is causing my audio gains to be inconstant. I GET IT WITH MY TTM 57. Not sure if its the same with a SL box. Someone else please try this and see if your getting the same thing. First boot SSL. Then pic any song. I used (Jay-Z & Kanye - Otis). Make sure the GAIN is exactly perfect on the song. Then unplug the USB that is connected to your TTM 57.. wait a few seconds & plug it back in. Now check the same song that you used before. On my end the GAIN is now way louder. From then on its Loud. Even if you unplug & plug your 57 in or out 10 times. But if you shut down SSL & re-launch it. then your back to the levels being quiet again. Very weird!!
The Human Error 10:21 AM - 13 October, 2011
So you guys actually pre gain each song in serato? dont you ever touch the gain on the mixer?
Dj Wunder 10:36 AM - 13 October, 2011
Quote:
So you guys actually pre gain each song in serato? dont you ever touch the gain on the mixer?

Almost never had to in the past. Sure some of the oldies a little extra juice but my tracks in SSL were always gained correct. Now I've got to go in there on individual songs and gain them up sometimes. One of the first Dj's to show me the ropes was adamant that the gain knob is not for volume, your gain structure should be set and rarely adjusted.
The Human Error 10:44 AM - 13 October, 2011
Comming from vinyl I'm so used to gain each song...
DJ Remy USA 12:09 PM - 13 October, 2011
I never used auto gain I got tired of it because when I would use instant doubles the sound output would suddenly drop as soon as I would instant double. I haven't used auto gain I just use my mixer and EQ accordingly. Has anyone had the same issue with output dropping when using auto gain?
David Barese 3:38 PM - 13 October, 2011
Quote:
OK I JUST FOUND THE GLITCH! Well the scenario that is causing my audio gains to be inconstant. I GET IT WITH MY TTM 57. Not sure if its the same with a SL box. Someone else please try this and see if your getting the same thing. First boot SSL. Then pic any song. I used (Jay-Z & Kanye - Otis). Make sure the GAIN is exactly perfect on the song. Then unplug the USB that is connected to your TTM 57.. wait a few seconds & plug it back in. Now check the same song that you used before. On my end the GAIN is now way louder. From then on its Loud. Even if you unplug & plug your 57 in or out 10 times. But if you shut down SSL & re-launch it. then your back to the levels being quiet again. Very weird!!

Your right... I tried this as well with different songs and I am getting the same glitch with my 57!!! Thank you for pointing that out because this was driving me crazy. They definitely need to fix this because this glitch is annoying and I like to be precise with my volume.
The Right One 3:38 PM - 13 October, 2011
Back in the day I used the gain on my mixer to set the level & mixed with my faders. But with SSL I use the gain in the program itself, because then I only have to set each SONG 1 time. The SONG should always be correct from there on out. Ever since I installed 2.3, I have had this issue. Even if I step backwards to older versions, this still happens. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the new TTM 57 driver that came out with version 2.3. Serious issues with that driver!!! & this is extremely frustrating. Anyone else have this issue?
Dj Wunder 8:28 PM - 13 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Your right... I tried this as well with different songs and I am getting the same glitch with my 57!!! Thank you for pointing that out because this was driving me crazy. They definitely need to fix this because this glitch is annoying and I like to be precise with my volume.

Quote:
Back in the day I used the gain on my mixer to set the level & mixed with my faders. But with SSL I use the gain in the program itself, because then I only have to set each SONG 1 time. The SONG should always be correct from there on out. Ever since I installed 2.3, I have had this issue. Even if I step backwards to older versions, this still happens. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the new TTM 57 driver that came out with version 2.3. Serious issues with that driver!!! & this is extremely frustrating. Anyone else have this issue?

Hey could you guys post these findings in the help forum, if you haven't done so already?
The Right One 10:37 PM - 13 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Hey could you guys post these findings in the help forum, if you haven't done so already?

I just did that now. Lets see what they do...
Djskinnyjimmy 2:12 AM - 14 October, 2011
i tried this and had the same issue... first time i had to reboot my 57 because the audio on the side i tried to gain wasnt working... serato acted like it was playing but no sound or levels on the mixer

second time around i ihad the same issue... once the 57 was unplugged it raised the gain on the track
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:51 PM - 19 October, 2011
Hi All,

I've been requested to gather the exact steps to reproduce this bug with the 2.3.1 version of SSL. If you would please detail how exactly to reproduce the gain using (in a step by step list), I'll forward the procedure to the devs for testing :)

Thanks!
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:53 PM - 19 October, 2011
My god they only just looking into gain bugs fffssss.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:08 PM - 19 October, 2011
Quote:
My god they only just looking into gain bugs fffssss.

No, the software devs have been working on this for a while. For technical support reasons I'm digging for more information (in case I get a call from someone experiencing a gain issue that they're unable to properly explain).
The Right One 6:42 PM - 19 October, 2011
As I wrote before, I believe its the new drivers causing the issue. Without seeing the code I wouldn't know for sure. The bottom line is the change happened after installing 2.3 & now it happens even if I roll back to older versions.

THE PROBLEM: When you first boot SSL All your gains are suddenly lower then normal. Example: I adjust all my audio to Peak in the YELLOW. but when I first boot up SSL, suddenly all my audio peaks in the GREEN, about 4 to 5 lines below YELLOW.

THE FIX: Unplug your TTM 57 USB from your MAC, wait about 10 to 15 seconds & plug it back in. Problem fixed. now suddenly all my levels are back to normal. peaking in the YELLOW.

However if you shut down SSL & reboot SSL. Your back to where we started.. LOW LEVELS..

THE TEMPORARY FIX: boot SSL, unplug & re-plug your USB before you play... (EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING & TIME CONSUMING TO DO LIVE IN THE CLUB WHEN SWITCHING WITH ANOTHER DJ & EVEN WORSE IF YOU JUST FORGET. NOW YOUR STUCK DEALING WITH LOW GAIN)

THE EVEN BIGGER PROBLEM: The first time I used 2.3, I noticed the gains were low. At first I thought I had somehow messed up my gains and continued to fix them. But then I noticed that they were NOT low, Just INCONSISTENT. Some days they are low & others high. Because of this I found myself constantly changing each individual gain and now that I have pin pointed the cause, I have to go back and redo all the gains in my collection, because they are now all over the place. Some are high, Some are low. It has me looking extremely unprofessional. As well as it waisted loads of time, constantly re-adjusting my levels, when my entire collection was perfect before this glitch.

AS FOR THE AUTO GAIN NOT WORKING CORRECTLY GLITCH:
serato.com
This is not true, Auto Gain works. Its just that all the levels are lower when U first boot SSL. So after auto gaining your files, people assume that its broken, because the gains are low. Uplug & plug back in your USB & everything works correctly from that point on..

I am dealing with 3 glitches in SSL that are annoying, But this is by far the most annoying glitch I have ever had to deal with since I started with SSL. PLEASE FIX THIS ASAP!!!

LISTEN, I WRITE SOFTWARE & DJ FOR A LIVING DOING RADIO & CLUBS WORLD WIDE. I DON'T MIND HELPING WITH BETA TESTING, BUT I STOPPED BECAUSE EVERY GLITCH I WOULD FIND IN YOUR BETA VERSION, WOULD END UP IN THE OFFICIAL RELEASE, EVEN THO I WOULD POST THE GLITCH IN YOUR FORUM. I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT A FEW OTHER GLITCHES YOU HAVE. I'M WILLING TO HELP, IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY GONNA LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY TO YOU... I LOVE THE SOFTWARE, BUT LATELY IT HAS BEGAN TO BE FULL OF GLITCHES.. I WANT TO HELP U WORK THESE OUT!!!!
Daktyl 6:52 PM - 19 October, 2011
Quote:
THE FIX: Unplug your TTM 57 USB from your MAC, wait about 10 to 15 seconds & plug it back in. Problem fixed. now suddenly all my levels are back to normal. peaking in the YELLOW.

just curious do you have to do this if you just boot ssl up and then plug in the 57 usb?
The Right One 7:39 PM - 19 October, 2011
If you boot SSL without the USB plugged in, then U have to plug it in, unplug it & then plug it back in, in order to fix the glitch. From that point forward NO MATTER how many times U unplug & plug your 57 it will stay fixed. But if U reboot SSL, you have to start all over again.

Its as if SSL does not read the 57 correctly the first time. U must let it read it ones, unplug it & then let SSL read it again.

I know its confusing & thats why it just needs to be fixed!!!!
The Right One 7:40 PM - 19 October, 2011
sorry I didn't quote the last post. But that was to answer Daktyl's question.
dj_soo 7:46 PM - 19 October, 2011
Quote:
LISTEN, I WRITE SOFTWARE & DJ FOR A LIVING DOING RADIO & CLUBS WORLD WIDE. I DON'T MIND HELPING WITH BETA TESTING, BUT I STOPPED BECAUSE EVERY GLITCH I WOULD FIND IN YOUR BETA VERSION, WOULD END UP IN THE OFFICIAL RELEASE, EVEN THO I WOULD POST THE GLITCH IN YOUR FORUM. I CAN TELL YOU ABOUT A FEW OTHER GLITCHES YOU HAVE. I'M WILLING TO HELP, IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY GONNA LISTEN TO WHAT I SAY TO YOU... I LOVE THE SOFTWARE, BUT LATELY IT HAS BEGAN TO BE FULL OF GLITCHES.. I WANT TO HELP U WORK THESE OUT!!!!

you obviously never worked in QA much then. This is pretty standard.

Ship it!
The Right One 8:15 PM - 19 October, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

you obviously never worked in QA much then. This is pretty standard.

Ship it!

Actual I haven't, & if thats true, its sad to hear. But I guess them deadlines gotta get met!! at least your quote was worth a laugh!!! thanks my friend lol

& I just got this message for the first time wile try'na post this:
More than half of your message contains capital letters. To many forum users this means you are SHOUTING your message, and is considered bad forum etiquette. Please consider editing your message so that there are fewer capital letters.

Didn't mean that when I wrote it. But yes, I did want that point to stand out. So maybe I did mean it. LOL, I guess I'm saying, I didn't mean to offend anyone! I'll keep that in mind for the future.
Robert W 12:34 AM - 15 November, 2011
I noticed some other issues too with my loops. when i downloaded 2.3 some of my loops on certian tracks were removed. Then when i redo them, they dont save and i have to keep reseting the loops each time i open SL. It only does this to a few select tracks and the same ones over again. I wonder whats causing this to happen when i didnt have this problem in previous versions.
anthracite98 5:32 AM - 15 November, 2011
I had the gain bug with 2.3 and a brand new i7 macbook (April) and then the other day i had another issue and deleted a pref file (users/library/etc) and now the gain seems to be happy again, which makes me think the bug was in 2.2.2 and since i used that 5 times (with and sl4 at a club i no longer spin at) maybe it just legacied over. anyway, not near an sl box now, but the internal player gain seems back to normal now. will report with SL hooked up friday when I play.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 8:23 PM - 15 November, 2011
Quote:
I noticed some other issues too with my loops. when i downloaded 2.3 some of my loops on certian tracks were removed. Then when i redo them, they dont save and i have to keep reseting the loops each time i open SL. It only does this to a few select tracks and the same ones over again. I wonder whats causing this to happen when i didnt have this problem in previous versions.

Those particular track may be read only files, meaning SSL is unable to save info to them. Do those tracks have a lock icon displayed next to the track listing in your crates?
Robert W 2:11 AM - 16 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Those particular track may be read only files, meaning SSL is unable to save info to them. Do those tracks have a lock icon displayed next to the track listing in your crates?

Yes they have an circular Icon with a lightning bolt looking thing in front of the track.
It saves the BPM though. Hmm This only started happening in 2.3. is there a way to change them from read only like in the properies tab?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 5:45 AM - 16 November, 2011
Quote:
Yes they have an circular Icon with a lightning bolt looking thing in front of the track.

Corrupt file - use with caution - replace as soon as practical.
anthracite98 8:04 AM - 17 November, 2011
Ok my gain issues are back, and all kinds of other little bugs too. Deleted the prefs file again and all other issues are better, but gain is low. I'll wait til Friday when I'm at the gig and try the plug in and out fix. Thanks for the suggestions!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 5:55 PM - 17 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It saves the BPM though. Hmm This only started happening in 2.3. is there a way to change them from read only like in the properies tab?

Please upload one of the tracks you're having issues with and I'll try to reproduce the problem on my computer. The tracks may simply be damaged/corrupt and unable to store cue point data.
Robert W 3:22 AM - 23 November, 2011
Yeah i looked through my library and there's quite a few corrupt files. thanks, but It's no biggie, i'll just delete them and re import them from the cd i got them from.
Robert W 3:24 AM - 23 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Really? Why? Will they cause SL to freeze or crash? Other than the loops, i havent noticed any other problems. But if it's harmful, ill get rid of em. Thanks all for the help.
Dj Wunder 7:09 AM - 23 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Really? Why? Will they cause SL to freeze or crash? Other than the loops, i havent noticed any other problems. But if it's harmful, ill get rid of em. Thanks all for the help.

Freezes, crashes, all that are usually attributed to corrupt files. After clearing my corrupts I haven't had a single crash caused by SSL 2.3
Serato
Glenn M 10:20 PM - 7 December, 2011
Quote:

To be honest, the word 'corrupt' has a lot of negative stigma behind it. It's usually not as bad as it seems.

Essentially SSL has discovered the data structure of the file doesn't meet the specification. i.e. .mp4, m4a and .aac files store all their audio and video information in what is called an mpeg4 container. This container has a structure which is supposed to conform to a particular standard.

If for some reason, the structure of the mpeg4 container is incorrect, i.e. during download, the last x number of bytes are chopped off the end, SSL would mark this file as 'corrupt'.

There is a good chance though, that this file will still play fine and you'll never get a crash, but SSL can't guarantee that tag writing will work, or that the audio decoder might crash when trying to use the file.

I hope that helps.

Glenn
Robert W 12:51 AM - 10 December, 2011
You know what? everytime i open scratchlive i notice that more and more music files are getting corrupt. I really dont know whats causing this as my laptop is only a couple years old and came with windows7. I only use Wav. files for audio and SSL and I only use MPEG4 for my video/multimedia projects. The corrupt files play fine, but they just wont save cues and loops. No other problems though.
I have had a couple blue screen crashes, but i was using a 3D graphics software with a large complex scene both times it crashed. I only DJ for a hobbie now, so this isnt a career effecting problem. I have gotten a couple of nasty drive by downloaded viruses that i had to take care of. so maybe that's the reason the file corruption is spreading. Maybe I'll just do another system restore from 5 months ago and see if that helps.
Robert W 2:40 AM - 10 December, 2011
Actually scratch that! I'll just import all of the corrupt music files into Sony Acid Pro or Vegas, and render them out to a different wav. file and delete the original file. Dont know why i didnt think of that before.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:48 AM - 10 December, 2011
Do Wav files save metadata info like cue points and loops?

I use 320 mp3's and a Mac so just wondering if it is a windows issue or a corruption issue or just a limitation of Wav?
Robert W 3:42 AM - 10 December, 2011
Quote:
Do Wav files save metadata info like cue points and loops?

I use 320 mp3's and a Mac so just wondering if it is a windows issue or a corruption issue or just a limitation of Wav?

Yep, wav. files in SL save cues and loops, as well as bpm, comments, track name, artist name, and anything else. I think a virus i had a while ago may be the culprit for the data corruption. I use a lot of raw file types for my Multimedia because i hate quality loss from file compression.
Everything from Wav. to Targa image files. Although i do hate avi, and use MPEG4 for video instead.
dj_soo 4:04 AM - 10 December, 2011
hope this gets fixed soon - waiting till the next update so I can upgrade to Lion...
Djskinnyjimmy 6:20 AM - 19 December, 2011
ive been on lion for a few weeks already prob did like 12 gigs with it.... only problem is when i load stuff from a folder im getting 2 copies of every song.... working on that issue
victor_M 1:36 PM - 19 December, 2011
looks like they might have resolved the issue with 2.3.3. This is interesting as I didn't see a public beta on this.

serato.com
LJ_WOOLSEY 2:23 PM - 19 December, 2011
There was no public beta for 2.3.3
victor_M 3:49 PM - 19 December, 2011
LJ_Woosley

have you had any luck with this release?
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:21 PM - 19 December, 2011
It fixes the ttm57 issue but my issue where the vu leds are lower is still an issue in 2.3.3 but serato say they did thos awhile ago be design and its not a bug! Bit there we go lol
caliguy 7:44 AM - 14 January, 2012
Okay I have two issues with 2.3.3

One has to do with the level meter bug, the other has to do with the MIDI map file not working correctly for the Denon HC1000S.

So my first question is, with version 2.3.3. where exactly is the OPTIMUM level where my tracks should be reading VISUALLY on the meters? I think before all this nonsense I had all my tracks analyzed and set at 93DB auto gained and tracks would be all green just under yelow but never any yellow using the SL4.

Without auto gain my tracks sound good but are reading way below the top green bar. All these tracks for the most part are Hip-Hop original files at 320KBPS.

Quote:
looks like they might have resolved the issue with 2.3.3. This is interesting as I didn't see a public beta on this.
I also am doubtful that this was fixed in 2.3.3 . As stated there is no mention of this fixed in the release notes. I would like an official answer.

A few people including myself have reported problems some problems with the Denon DN-HC1000S for functions of the DJ-EFX on Scratch Live after installing 2.3.3 .
caliguy 8:04 AM - 14 January, 2012
CORRECTION, Im using the SL3 not the SL4.

Forgot to mention that people having problems with the Denon HC1000S have already reported this on the Denon DJ forums.
LJ_WOOLSEY 12:45 PM - 14 January, 2012
There is a bug with the dj fx in 2.3.3 its not a bug with the denon controller so if you really use the fx then you need to downgrade. It has already been fixed and will be in tge next version.
caliguy 7:53 PM - 14 January, 2012
Quote:
There is a bug with the dj fx in 2.3.3 its not a bug with the denon controller so if you really use the fx then you need to downgrade. It has already been fixed and will be in tge next version.
Thank you LJW. DJ-EFX work but its the shift functions that dont work, so its not a huge deal. You can trigger the effects you just cant scroll through the different effects with the controller, but you can scroll the effects with your laptop and trigger them with the HC1000S. Thanks again LJW.

Now what about the gain level meters. On the SL3 manual version 2.3 it says that the music should be reading in the highest yellow but never in red. But if I do that my music will be outrageously loud. Some of my loudest hip-hop tracks are good and loud at the default 12 O'clock position on the individual decks gain knobs but when I re-analyze them with the auto gain function at 95db, the meters read all green but not even in yellow and the gain knob is at 12:30. 95db is loud so I dont think its reading correctly on Scratch Live. According to my mixers level meters the same track should be adjusted to 11:30 for 0db (optimumum). Untill someone from Serato gives me an official answer to this, I'll trust my mixer instead.
Free Man 1:57 PM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

To be honest, the word 'corrupt' has a lot of negative stigma behind it. It's usually not as bad as it seems.

Essentially SSL has discovered the data structure of the file doesn't meet the specification. i.e. .mp4, m4a and .aac files store all their audio and video information in what is called an mpeg4 container. This container has a structure which is supposed to conform to a particular standard.

If for some reason, the structure of the mpeg4 container is incorrect, i.e. during download, the last x number of bytes are chopped off the end, SSL would mark this file as 'corrupt'.

There is a good chance though, that this file will still play fine and you'll never get a crash, but SSL can't guarantee that tag writing will work, or that the audio decoder might crash when trying to use the file.

I hope that helps.

Glenn

Now you tell me... I cant count the amount of songs i've deleted because they showed corrupt...

What would be a problem with a song that would cause an issue?
Serato
Glenn M 8:43 PM - 18 January, 2012
Quote:
I cant count the amount of songs i've deleted because they showed corrupt...

What would be a problem with a song that would cause an issue?

The structure of the file doesn't conform to the specifications for that file.

This is now gotten really off topic for the original thread title. I encourage you to start a new one in the Help area order to make it easier to track. It will make it easier for the support guys.

Cheers.

Mmm. I only just realised we're in the DJing discussion area. I'm not sure how I came to be here : )