DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

How to change your MP3 filenames to match your ID3 tags

DeezNotes 3:42 AM - 10 August, 2011
Watchwww.youtube.com

CMOS aka DJ Feffen inquired about this in a thread somewhere on here. This is how I do it on a Mac.

In Windows, I would do similar steps only I would use Media Monkey to access my crate folders, rename the files and relocate in SSL.
DeezNotes 4:25 AM - 10 August, 2011
This is the 2nd video YouTube messed up after it was uploaded. I'm uploading it a 3rd time - hopefully this works. It's 12 min long. The one in the first post is only 2 mins.
Daktyl 1:57 AM - 29 January, 2012
link to the right video? i just ripped a bunch of cd's... used cddb for the tags, but the file names are still track 01, track 02, etc... was wondering how to do this and couldn't really find out much info on it.
DeezNotes 6:42 AM - 29 January, 2012
Quick answer is a script from Doug's scripts if you're on a Mac or Media Monkey if you're on PC. I tried uploading the video to YouTube but it kept failing.
phatbob 1:35 PM - 29 January, 2012
On mac, just use Media Rage file renamer. Renames files with whatever tag info you choose.
Dj Mike P. 1:59 PM - 29 January, 2012
The best for this by far is Mp3tag for pc, I have it installed on my macbook using crossover.
Manny C dot com 10:33 PM - 29 January, 2012
WTF??? i.imgur.com
Daktyl 1:50 AM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
Quick answer is a script from Doug's scripts if you're on a Mac or Media Monkey if you're on PC. I tried uploading the video to YouTube but it kept failing.

that did the trick... thanks man. i need to look into using more scripts... i had no idea how much time i was wasting by not using them
Papa Midnight 4:47 AM - 30 January, 2012
Quote:
The best for this by far is Mp3tag for pc

I Also use Mp3tag
L'Phonik 5:10 AM - 30 January, 2012
Tagscanner
Taipanic 6:19 PM - 30 January, 2012
I have been a satisfied user for many years of Tag-n-Rename for Windows. Haven't done much tag work on my Mac, will check out the scripts for sure...
Icy_FiestA 11:11 PM - 30 January, 2012
The scripts are the best way to go to organize your music library. It makes everything much easier.
s3kn0tr0n1c 8:26 AM - 31 January, 2012
Quote:
Quote:

I Also use Mp3tag
i use this and its great for naming files from tags or vice versa.
Marcius Bezerra 12:35 PM - 30 September, 2013
Hello

I have a question: I need to rename the tags and filenames in my mp3 collection. Doing this Serato loses reference files (Beatgrid, cue points, etc.).? How Serato makes reference to the files? I remember once I left a few orphan files ..
DeezNotes 1:37 PM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
Hello

I have a question: I need to rename the tags and filenames in my mp3 collection. Doing this Serato loses reference files (Beatgrid, cue points, etc.).? How Serato makes reference to the files? I remember once I left a few orphan files ..

There is a "Relocate Lost Files" function in the files pane which can find files which match the tags to what's currently in the Serato library database. It works well as long as you only change one thing at a time. Meaning, if you change the tags in another program (such as iTunes), you should rescan ID3 tags in Serato for all the tags you've changed. If you change the file names of the songs, you can then use the "Relocate Lost Files" feature. All files will be found as long as the tags match up. If you use an external program like iTunes to change ID3 tags and file names at the same time without updating the Serato database, the relocate function will not work and your original file references will be orphaned.
Taipanic 1:39 PM - 30 September, 2013
Tag N Rename can change whole folders of tags or file names with a single click. You can rename the file with fields from the tag or populate tag fields from the file name. Very powerful tagger once you get it figured out. Windows only though.
RobDJ dotcom 6:41 PM - 30 September, 2013
I use a program called "Tagscanner" and it's FREE!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 6:48 PM - 30 September, 2013
Quote:
The scripts are the best way to go to organize your music library. It makes everything much easier.

Can anybody tell me where these "scripts"are please??
nik39 11:10 AM - 1 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I Also use Mp3tag
i use this and its great for naming files from tags or vice versa.

+1
Marcius Bezerra 9:15 AM - 20 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Hello

There is a "Relocate Lost Files" function in the files pane which can find files which match the tags to what's currently in the Serato library database. It works well as long as you only change one thing at a time. Meaning, if you change the tags in another program (such as iTunes), you should rescan ID3 tags in Serato for all the tags you've changed. If you change the file names of the songs, you can then use the "Relocate Lost Files" feature. All files will be found as long as the tags match up. If you use an external program like iTunes to change ID3 tags and file names at the same time without updating the Serato database, the relocate function will not work and your original file references will be orphaned.

Thank you!

So, from what I understand, for Serato not lose the files reference, I can follow the steps below:

1) Rename the tags using a program (mp3Tag, etc..)
2) Use the Serato DJ Rescan Tags command
3) Rename files and folders
4) Use the command Relocate Lost Files

Would that work?
DJ Shameless 1:47 PM - 20 October, 2013
i use musorg for mac.

download.cnet.com
DJ Eazy B 4:31 PM - 20 October, 2013
Is there a program for mac which gives more file tagging options like having a label tab for example. Otherwise i may as well stick to itunes
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 7:41 PM - 20 October, 2013
Quote:
i use musorg for mac.

download.cnet.com

Good post - looks like just what I needed - seems lightweight, less complicated and FREE.

Most of my stuff is already tagged cool from various record pools but this is perfect when I go digital diggin' and run across "those files" - this seems perfect.

Now if I could find something similar for videos....
DeezNotes 11:53 PM - 21 October, 2013
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello

Thank you!

So, from what I understand, for Serato not lose the files reference, I can follow the steps below:

1) Rename the tags using a program (mp3Tag, etc..)
2) Use the Serato DJ Rescan Tags command
3) Rename files and folders
4) Use the command Relocate Lost Files

Would that work?

Yes, that will work. To add to #4, I usually drag the folder the files are in onto the Relocate Lost Files button. This makes the process go faster by only searching the folder you drag onto the button.

I've seen people make the mistake of pressing the button and SSL will search a drive which has Time Machine backups of files and link missing files to the drive containing a Time Machine backup of a music file, which is not good. Maybe they fixed this to prevent this from happening, but it's something to be aware of just in case.