DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Steve Angello Faking The Funk....

DjWoody 5:09 AM - 9 August, 2011
Specially noticeable starting at 3:20

Watchwww.youtube.com
Chrisjin 2:47 PM - 9 August, 2011
Ha--ha, he makes it blatantly obvious he is a poser. Axwell should boot him for being a dork live
Sureshot (PA) 2:53 PM - 9 August, 2011
here's the thing.. producing is a studio art. but to perform as a producer, you pretty much have to become a DJ and that doesn't suit everybody. When you buy a ticket to go see a producer NOT in a studio, then you've got to know it's trickery on some level.

now, there are definitely some producers that are GREAT djs. but Steve Angello definitely isn't one of them.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:00 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
here's the thing.. producing is a studio art. but to perform as a producer, you pretty much have to become a DJ and that doesn't suit everybody. When you buy a ticket to go see a producer NOT in a studio, then you've got to know it's trickery on some level.

now, there are definitely some producers that are GREAT djs. but Steve Angello definitely isn't one of them.

+1
DJ Stoyvo 4:00 PM - 9 August, 2011
anybody else notice that he doesnt have headphones? and it beatmatching amazingly well? lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:03 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
anybody else notice that he doesnt have headphones? and it beatmatching amazingly well? lol

well according to all the pro-sync controllerists beatmatching is the easiest thing in the world and requires no talent so why would this suprise you lol
the_black_one 4:18 PM - 9 August, 2011
Why use headphones? Beat maching takes too much time and it ties you up! Free yourself with auto-stink and you now have the time to do other cool stuff like pulling your hair back, doing the Jesus, talking to a very important Pearson on stage, finger fuck your cdgays,you know! So yeah, who needs stupid headphones!
DeezNotes 4:24 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
doing the Jesus

lol
DJ Stoyvo 6:54 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
doing the Jesus

lol

i second that "lol"
Audio1 7:02 PM - 9 August, 2011
headphones get in the way of Jesus.
kaa51 7:06 PM - 9 August, 2011
Steve Angello writes about it..

"Can't believe you guys are still going for it . don't you have better things to do then make up bullshit to write about me faking a whole set when i just explained that it was the last 11 mins of my set so they could fire of the special fx and all the fireworks , stop with your bullshit and get on with your lives , if it would be up to you guys we would all be stuck in cells without electricity and banging on a floor without a big show so you would feel better for yourselves not being there , i would never fake a whole set in my entire life and those 10 mins are part of the show . if you don't wanna see fireworks and a massive finale stop buying tickets to events where that happens and stay home instead . i hate when people make up a big story and feed on it like sugar to ants . make something better of your time instead of wasting mine !! if you would put as much time on your own careers as you do talking shit maybe a thing like this wouldn't affect you , i know who my real fans are and you haters are not my real fans , cause if you would be you would get what i´m saying after seeing the shows we do , you probably haven't even been to any of my shows and won't ever come so drop it , get on with your lives ! - SA"

www.twitlonger.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:06 PM - 9 August, 2011
WWJS

What Would Jesus Sync
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:07 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:

"Can't believe you guys are still going for it . don't you have better things to do then make up bullshit to write about me faking a whole set when i just explained that it was the last 11 mins of my set so they could fire of the special fx and all the fireworks , stop with your bullshit and get on with your lives , if it would be up to you guys we would all be stuck in cells without electricity and banging on a floor without a big show so you would feel better for yourselves not being there , i would never fake a whole set in my entire life and those 10 mins are part of the show . if you don't wanna see fireworks and a massive finale stop buying tickets to events where that happens and stay home instead . i hate when people make up a big story and feed on it like sugar to ants . make something better of your time instead of wasting mine !! if you would put as much time on your own careers as you do talking shit maybe a thing like this wouldn't affect you , i know who my real fans are and you haters are not my real fans , cause if you would be you would get what i´m saying after seeing the shows we do , you probably haven't even been to any of my shows and won't ever come so drop it , get on with your lives ! - SA"

www.twitlonger.com

NICE!! RESPECT!!!
Mr. Goodkat 7:15 PM - 9 August, 2011
i love it, he just pissed on all his fans and came with the terrible excuse. punk rock lives.
DjWoody 7:18 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
i love it, he just pissed on all his fans and came with the terrible excuse. punk rock lives.

And that's why he's getting shit on the EDM boards. Cuz he came up with a horrible excuse.
Mr. Goodkat 7:23 PM - 9 August, 2011
if you read his twitter, it was 'i would never play a premade set', and 'i will challenge anyone and fly them to ibiza', finally it was the last excuse.

i thought it was hilarious, turn a filter knob, drink some shots, collect 100k and OUT!
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:28 PM - 9 August, 2011
....you guys really see a problem with this?!
Audio1 7:29 PM - 9 August, 2011
so whos gonna go to IZIBA to smoke SA?
DeezNotes 7:48 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:

DJ Blend
BattleFunk 7:56 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
....you guys really see a problem with this?!

Its not like he's made a career out of doing it

it'll just have been his engineer sitting behind the scenes with ableton open firing out midi messages to the pyro / video feed - no big deal

those making an issue out of it will just be kids that are pissed off that they're stuck in their bedrooms with something to prove while SA is making money from doing something they love to do
DjWoody 8:03 PM - 9 August, 2011
If it was just his last 10 min, I can see the reasoning behind it. But if it was the whole mix or most of it, than it's a different story. Last 10 min, it's like using a mashup or party break or even a transition track. It's just a 10 min version of it. lol
Audio1 8:28 PM - 9 August, 2011
I like the fake knob twisting and how the eq's change while he turns his back to the crowd. LOL
DjWoody 9:04 PM - 9 August, 2011
I love how the sound has been disabled on YouTube. lol No worries, you can find the video here.
www.dumpert.nl
DjWoody 9:22 PM - 9 August, 2011
HAHAHA I just watched the video again, and all the pyrotechnics happen on his encore. Which starts around 9:40. He doesn't even press play to the last song. His encore is being played from somewhere else. He gets on the mic and says LET'S GO... than nothing happens, and says LET'S GO again. The lights dim, and the song starts. He was nowhere near the CDJ's when the song started! The mixed CD was on way before this!!! It's pretty obvious when he played Daft Punk.

www.dumpert.nl
djdalite 9:33 PM - 9 August, 2011
lol wow, steve if you read this just pay me to mix for you and you can jesus pose and look cool for the crowd while spilling drinks all over by the equipment
DJ Remy USA 10:15 PM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:

I like Steve angellos music but I'd smoke em in DJing but thats why he gets booked. I could care less what he does when he spins I know when I do it it's authentic and that's all that matters to me
Mr. Goodkat 3:15 AM - 10 August, 2011
nothing like getting pissed on and then taking up for the person pissing on you.

he gets booked because of his production, and he has huge pr/marketing teams that make him what he is.

dance music is the same thing as pop in the states. You know when britney sucks and goes crazy for a few years, then comes back and sucks and still blows up? thats not because she's persistant and is a natural talent. Its because she makes alot of peoples living by being an entertainer/celeb. mangagers, pr, dancers, pas, etc, etc, all are vested in making there money off a person.

its the same thing with huge edm djs in europe/uk.

im down to have ghost producers and pre made sets and making lots of money, but take it for what it is. its a facade.
Sureshot (PA) 3:30 AM - 10 August, 2011
Britney keeps blowing up because her people keep putting her together with solid songwriters and production talent and they keep putting together hits. i'm going to assume her live shows have always been shit.

SA is a legit production talent. but he ain't no dj.
GilesDavis 7:45 AM - 10 August, 2011
Wow... just wow. never been much of a fan of his music, the production quality is really solid, though, not denying his talent in a studio. But the dude has ZERO stage presence! I assumed the only reason someone would fake mixing is because they didn't have the skills to both mix & put on more of a show? dude spends more time doing his hair, the jesus, & what looks like aerobics (7:45) than anything else. lame.
tomatoslice 8:02 PM - 10 August, 2011
i can't decide which is more laughable, sad or just plain pathetic.

the people the defend him and say "i totally know what i am talking about. i am a professional. he is mixing" or the fact that he isn't mixing at all.
tomatoslice 8:03 PM - 10 August, 2011
the people saying he is mixing, they are definitely the most ridiculous.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:05 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:

whos saying hes mixing, ven HE states hes not mixing, hes not even denying it lol
jwagner 8:49 PM - 10 August, 2011
What I don't understand is for these producers who are so talented and music and compositional knowledge would blow mine out of the water can't do a simple beat match?
jwagner 8:49 PM - 10 August, 2011
and=with
tomatoslice 10:28 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

whos saying hes mixing, ven HE states hes not mixing, hes not even denying it lol

some people in the youtube comments, if you read through them, say he is really mixing.
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:45 PM - 10 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

some people in the youtube comments, if you read through them, say he is really mixing.

lol thats funney (i still havent even watched the vid lol)
DJ Grenade 6:39 AM - 11 August, 2011
heard a rumor that mr dj scene actually made or was contacted about making tiesto's mixes.
dj garcia 7:17 AM - 11 August, 2011
I just saw TAKE ONE - (SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA DOCUMENTARY) This guys are producers not dj's, same goes for the rest of the other so called big dj's like Tiesto,Guetta...in the documentary Steve Angello acts like a fucking douche!!!!
SiRocket 8:43 AM - 11 August, 2011
yup... this is the truth... press play, throw the hands up and act cool.... oh and twist some knobs.
Fabs 12:02 PM - 11 August, 2011
Im with Angello on this one! Maybe for these big arena Djs to deliver a synched live set with fireworks and lighting they need to have the effects programmed before hand, which means they need to be perfect to the second! if you played it live, even though your tracks and mixing would be spot on, you can bet your ass the overall set time will drift and the fireworks would end up being way off lol!

I get what he is saying! But man, using Ableton and synch your effect to the midi and use a controller - its not rocket science!

Fab
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:52 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Im with Angello on this one! Maybe for these big arena Djs to deliver a synched live set with fireworks and lighting they need to have the effects programmed before hand, which means they need to be perfect to the second! if you played it live, even though your tracks and mixing would be spot on, you can bet your ass the overall set time will drift and the fireworks would end up being way off lol!

I get what he is saying! But man, using Ableton and synch your effect to the midi and use a controller - its not rocket science!

Fab

+1 this is what i was saying earlier, when you have an entire show based around your arena set its a bit different than playing in a club. Its like when people bitch about wrestling not being real...ya its not real but your still seeing a 400 pound pure athlete do a tripple summersault off the top of a steel cage through 3 tables and hit his opponent with an unconscience artic seal.....that shits still bad ass and takes some talent
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:52 PM - 11 August, 2011
* and is entetaining as hell
DjWoody 2:59 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Fab

+1 this is what i was saying earlier, when you have an entire show based around your arena set its a bit different than playing in a club. Its like when people bitch about wrestling not being real...ya its not real but your still seeing a 400 pound pure athlete do a tripple summersault off the top of a steel cage through 3 tables and hit his opponent with an unconscience artic seal.....that shits still bad ass and takes some talent

Did you guys missed my post about the pyrotechnics being only in the encore, yet the mix was already on way before that? What about rock bands? They always do stuff like that and they're usually playing live. I don't see them having problems syncing fireworks with their shows.

Here's the post you missed...

Quote:
"HAHAHA I just watched the video again, and all the pyrotechnics happen on his encore. Which starts around 9:40. He doesn't even press play to the last song. His encore is being played from somewhere else. He gets on the mic and says LET'S GO... than nothing happens, and says LET'S GO again. The lights dim, and the song starts. He was nowhere near the CDJ's when the song started! The mixed CD was on way before this!!! It's pretty obvious when he played Daft Punk.

www.dumpert.nl
Evon 3:12 PM - 11 August, 2011
I don´t think he will be the main event next year lol. I hope other promoters see this and not book him for these reasons.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:23 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Fab

Did you guys missed my post about the pyrotechnics being only in the encore, yet the mix was already on way before that? What about rock bands? They always do stuff like that and they're usually playing live. I don't see them having problems syncing fireworks with their shows.

Here's the post you missed...

Quote:
"HAHAHA I just watched the video again, and all the pyrotechnics happen on his encore. Which starts around 9:40. He doesn't even press play to the last song. His encore is being played from somewhere else. He gets on the mic and says LET'S GO... than nothing happens, and says LET'S GO again. The lights dim, and the song starts. He was nowhere near the CDJ's when the song started! The mixed CD was on way before this!!! It's pretty obvious when he played Daft Punk.

www.dumpert.nl

he addressed this didnt he
Quote:

www.twitlonger.com

he states the last 10 minutes were prerecorded....isnt the last 10 minutes the encore??

And we re talking about EDM here so 10 minutes is what, about a quarter of the intro to the song, he still had a good 25 minutes befre the next track was set to come in anyway
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:24 PM - 11 August, 2011
What I find HIGHLY amusing in this thread is alot of the people in this thread bitching that he is not mixing live are the same people in other threads begging for auto-sync #ironicyesireallydothink
DjWoody 3:48 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:

he states the last 10 minutes were prerecorded....isnt the last 10 minutes the encore??

Exactly, but the premixing started way before the encore when there were no pyrotechnics going off. I understand about the encore being premixed for the fireworks, but how do you explain the premixing before?
DeezNotes 4:34 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly, but the premixing started way before the encore when there were no pyrotechnics going off. I understand about the encore being premixed for the fireworks, but how do you explain the premixing before?

Laziness.
Audio1 4:41 PM - 11 August, 2011
These dudes get paid so much, All they need to do is put in a premade mix on CD or SD card, grab a drink, throw their hands up and thats it. These are EDM rockstars. The lipsyncers of the DJ world. No one cares anymore. Sad but true. /END OF THREAD!
DjWoody 5:15 PM - 11 August, 2011
Haha Steve's camp is doing damage control. They already asked for the original video to be removed from YouTube. hahaha

Watchwww.youtube.com
AKIEM 5:46 PM - 11 August, 2011
um, if live bands playing live music and singing live can have pyrotechnics going off at the right time....
Audio1 5:57 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
um, if live bands playing live music and singing live can have pyrotechnics going off at the right time....
aireyc 6:25 PM - 11 August, 2011
The whole encore/pyrotechnics is bullshizzle. I saw both Steve Angello and Swedish House Mafia do their separate performances at EDC, and I wasn't impressed at all (particularly with Angello). We all know the majority of the crowd only cares about the songs being played and not the actual skills of a DJ. Everyone was saying SHM's set at EDC was spectacular, but that's only because SHM played the songs everyone wanted to hear. The mixing/transitions were sub-par. I won't diss them and say they're horrible DJs, but they certainly aren't popular because they have some DJing ability the rest of us don't. Great producers? Yeah. Great DJs? Not so much.

On Angello and the encore... maybe the EDC gigs were off days for him, but I can't tell you how many times he just cut the music, said something to the crowd, then played the next song. There was very little mixing. It's cut the music then play the next song. Since EDM is traditionally about the flow, his method of "DJing" wasn't appealing to me.

As for the excuse of using pre-mixed because of pyrotechnics and whatever, how is it possible for other DJs to have pyrotechnics and lighting effects during their sets without them pre-mixing? Are all DJs playing pre-mixed sets? I don't think so. If you're playing a specific set list and have skills, I don't see why you should cop out and play even two pre-mixed tracks. It's not like it would sound any different or have extremely different timing. I say there are no excuses to justify what he did, and the more Angello runs his mouth, the less respect I have for the dude.
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:27 PM - 11 August, 2011
In other news bill gates is still rich
DeezNotes 6:31 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
I can't tell you how many times he just cut the music, said something to the crowd, then played the next song.

so much for mixing in key...
DjWoody 6:39 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
maybe the EDC gigs were off days for him, but I can't tell you how many times he just cut the music, said something to the crowd, then played the next song. There was very little mixing. It's cut the music then play the next song. Since EDM is traditionally about the flow, his method of "DJing" wasn't appealing to me.

I was at EDC too and I was annoying by him doing that. I just kept thinking, shut the fuck up already! haha But yea, he does that a lot.
sacrilicious 6:44 PM - 11 August, 2011
He's so drunk at 9:25 he can't pick up his drink
DJ Remy USA 10:15 PM - 11 August, 2011
Ok guys it's over we all agree what he did was wack let's move on
Dj-M.Bezzle 10:16 PM - 11 August, 2011
Quote:
Ok guys it's over we all agree what he did was wack let's move on

slowly raises hand and looks around the room..

I dont think it was wack
bicedidit 10:26 PM - 11 August, 2011
I don't no about edm but Im djing tonite and its my 50th internet radio show and I have a couple blends already recorded. But that's only bc I bring the acapellas in before the beat drops so it took me a couple shots to get the timing right.

But if he's twisting knobs trying to make it look live, heeeeeeeee's wack.

But outta curiosity, what's the general consensus of 'transition records'

BTW... Powaradio.com
The 9th br with bice
tues & thurs
bicedidit 10:27 PM - 11 August, 2011
The 9th hour... Lol
Manny C dot com 4:08 AM - 12 August, 2011
Quote:
Haha Steve's camp is doing damage control. They already asked for the original video to be removed from YouTube. hahaha

Watchwww.youtube.com

Links to the original video with original soundtrack are in the info section of that youtube video. DOWNLOAD the original and spread it EVERYWHERE!!!!

Watchwww.youtube.com

dj garcia 4:49 AM - 12 August, 2011
Hahah! @ 09:54 he said Let's and no music and then he said Let's go music start!!!!
tomatoslice 5:11 PM - 12 August, 2011
watched the video again.
at 40 secs he shows the guy on stage the cdj screen, the guy makes an hand gesture indicating as if to say "ok, your done." and then a thumbs up.
he mixes down out of the last track at 1:30. you can hear and see it, definitely a live mix.
that's probably when the medley starts.

he only touches the far left deck at 5:10. no idea what he was doing. i don't know much about that particular model. maybe ejecting a track? idk.
almost touches the immediate left deck at 5:38. probably out of habit, funny.
stands and touches the far left at 6:08 but does nothing.
his hand does go up slightly at 9:55 after the second let's go. difficult to tell if he hit play or not.
he really does absolutely nothing on the left decks. all working is on one player, the far right.

he has already admitted it.
but definitely sure the mix starts just before 1:30 for all those wondering on the time line.
at one point he tosses the headphones aside, your most likely going to do that at the end of your set. it's clear, up until then, he was actually djing.
the vid is just edited down to portray the last (bad) minutes obviously. if it was an hour long or more we'd see that too. you can't tell me the recorder just happened to catch him right when he was throwing on the medley. what brilliant luck that would be.

sure it's wack but at least it was the last few minutes.

wanna talk shit, how about these 10-15 minute bathroom break medleys people are putting out? not much different imo.
DJ Remy USA 6:10 PM - 12 August, 2011
^^^^ big difference between throwing on a mix when you have to take a shit versus throwing on a mix while your on stage
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:58 PM - 12 August, 2011
AKIEM 7:11 PM - 12 August, 2011
Watchwww.youtube.com
and yes, it only shows the suspect part
tomatoslice 8:58 PM - 12 August, 2011
Quote:
^^^^ big difference between throwing on a mix when you have to take a shit versus throwing on a mix while your on stage

true true.
Robert W 11:55 PM - 12 August, 2011
Ok so what was going on with this? Sorry i dont have time to read through the comments to find out since im at work. Whats going on in the video and why did it say they asked you to delete it?
Evon 12:25 AM - 13 August, 2011
Quote:
What I find HIGHLY amusing in this thread is alot of the people in this thread bitching that he is not mixing live are the same people in other threads begging for auto-sync #ironicyesireallydothink

Using a pre recorded set or mix 4 trax using sync like carl cox and Richie Hawtin is a big difference.
Fakin it using a prerecorded set has nothing to do with auto sync.
AKIEM 12:28 AM - 13 August, 2011
Quote:

Keep believing that.
Evon 12:30 AM - 13 August, 2011
Quote:

Using a pre recorded set or mix 4 trax using sync like carl cox and Richie Hawtin is a big difference.
AKIEM 12:33 AM - 13 August, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Keep believing that.
Evon 12:45 AM - 13 August, 2011
I don´t say that sync can´t be misused, you also got djs that can justify using it.

But lets not make this thread into another auto sync debate, we already got one going on ;)
AKIEM 12:49 AM - 13 August, 2011
Maybe a mod can just blend these threads together ;)
phate 1:12 AM - 14 August, 2011
i saw steve angello last year and im going to see him again in sept. He does mix his setslive, as his mixes were not 100% perfect, but he also plays 'edits' of tracks with different acapellas over them that you can tell were done in ableton/logic before and not mixed live. A lot of big house djs do this as well as create intros/outros to their sets before hand to make it more exciting/different/whatever. steve is still a amazing dj/producer.

as for the no headphones, its not hard to learn, especially if you know the tracks your are going to play. about 90% of his show, he used no headphones, but when he dropped new tracks or changed his set he used them. 0.8% on the pitch slider is 1bpm, and your playing a set that you made, so you know tracks that are the same key/transition well/etc, hes not getting random requests for songs like most of the djs on this forum.
kryptonitednb 1:27 AM - 14 August, 2011
Yeah, what this guy said. It's easy to mix house with cdjs and no headphones. Especially if you play 200 nights a year.
combo808 2:55 AM - 14 August, 2011
His mixes weren't even good and its recorded!!! fuck this guy...
FunkyRob 4:09 AM - 14 August, 2011
Um, I never heard of this guy. Am I the only one?

I did notice that Daft Punk seems to be starting while he drinking his beverage.
djdragon 4:42 AM - 14 August, 2011
Is it so hard just to use the midi control on your Pioneer DJ mixer (which is on you rider anyway) to control your own lights and pyro Steve?

Shit we were syncing midi to lighting boards and music software to enhance our club sets back in the late 80's. If you really wanted just SMPTE your encore set to the pyro show and that way your stage tech is off the hook.

I hate producer/DJ's who still have no grasp of production and technology.