DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

"The thing about laptop DJs" ...

Stretch 2:34 PM - 27 August, 2007
Found an interesting Article/Interview with DJ Moody Eva, see it here: www.gearwire.com

“The thing about laptop DJs is this-- once they convert all their vinyl to MP3, then they actually stop practicing their mixing. It's like they no longer practice their own craft and they usually lose that little spark that makes you want to go mix in front of people,” says Irwin. “The worst is when a laptop DJ who used to be phenomenal at mixing gets back on the turntables and train wrecks the whole time. It's super sad to watch. Also, no one wants to go to a party and watch someone checking their email on stage. That's what it looks like. Until you can play a computer blindfolded, I don't want to mix on one. I ABSOLUTELY CAN mix on a Technics turntable blindfolded and that is because it's a real live musical instrument, not a software program.”

"Of course I eventually want Serato, but it's not at the top of my list. It's not even really on the list-- it's a maybe."
De LA 2:38 PM - 27 August, 2007
DJ who?!

He screwed up his own point. blind fold this fool, have him mix on SSL in ABS mode and then on a traditional set up with no SSL..same songs and all. You really think he could tell the difference?

Probably not
dj hammurabi 2:46 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
DJ who?!

He screwed up his own point. blind fold this fool, have him mix on SSL in ABS mode and then on a traditional set up with no SSL..same songs and all. You really think he could tell the difference?

Probably not

+1
cappinkirk 3:27 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
DJ who?!

eXACTLY
Dj Shamann 3:30 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
I ABSOLUTELY CAN mix on a Technics turntable blindfolded

What's his point? Any idiot can mix on a turntable blindfolded and honestly if you can't, you're probably in the wrong game.

I love it when these fools who are afraid of progress talk out of their ass, they'd rather stay in their safe little redundant world because they fear venturing out and not having that edge anymore.

Adapt, conquer and excel is the way I look at it.
DJ Cykophuk 3:32 PM - 27 August, 2007
RAOTFLOL...going to a gig with SSL is like going to knife fight with a bazooka...don't want it, fine...lets spin together. Then maybe she'll shut her yap about djs that can't/don't mix from the laptop.

What a tool.
dirtbag filthy 3:36 PM - 27 August, 2007
its a chick

and lol at this

Eva Irwin, AKA Moody Eva, has been spinning since she was 16 in 1993, when a DJ friend showed her how to use turntables. Born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area, she raved full time from 1994-1996, enjoying what she says is the "golden age" of music in SF.
Dj Shamann 3:42 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
its a chick

Oooohhhhh, now it all makes sense...

(just kidding ladies)

;p

I didn't even read the article, just the blurb from Stretch's post, either way...she's still an idiot if she thinks playing on a turntable blindolded is a feat any bigger than playing and chewing gum.
dirtbag filthy 3:50 PM - 27 August, 2007
who the hell goes to a club or bar and stares at the dj

i just want to listen to the music i dont care if it looks like he is checking email...when we carried records id always have my back turned to the crowd half the time when looking through records...so i dont understand this point of view
DJ Cykophuk 3:54 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
who the hell goes to a club or bar and stares at the dj

That stuff happens alot. I always assume its other DJs.
dirtbag filthy 4:13 PM - 27 August, 2007
i hate when a dude is hangin around like a pesty fly...cool you wanna see the setup or ask a question or 2 but other than that bounce...unless you have tits and not man tits

and if you get a program and you mixed fine before with just turntables and you get said program and then to proceed to trainwreck... there is something wrong

i think she is talkin out her ass
sixxx 4:23 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
and if you get a program and you mixed fine before with just turntables and you get said program and then to proceed to trainwreck... there is something wrong

i think she is talkin out her ass

Yeah. I know she's entitled to her opinion but I really don't think this one is remotely true. Once you really know how to mix, you don't forget.
djknyce 4:27 PM - 27 August, 2007
I think shes referring to "laptop only" dj's - not "laptop and turntable" dj's
Audio1 4:30 PM - 27 August, 2007
funny, 1/2 the DJ's in that SISTER crew use Serato.
latindj 4:40 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Yeah. I know she's entitled to her opinion but I really don't think this one is remotely true. Once you really know how to mix, you don't forget.

Amen brother! I can testify to that one. I took several years off and I certainly did not come back dumb and dumber. Picked up right where I left off...
S1d 4:53 PM - 27 August, 2007
She's contradicting herself. She's bashing laptops, but then says "eventually I want to get Serato". Huh?

And I agree with Sixxx, that doesn't make sense for someone to switch over to Scratch and forget how to mix.

I say give it time, if/when she switches over she'll eat her words.
DJBlisk 5:09 PM - 27 August, 2007
her argument is retarded.
djknyce 6:16 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
I think shes referring to "laptop only" dj's - not "laptop and turntable" dj's

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^read above^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^