DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What's the best mixer for mixing dance music?

Dj Greg G 9:56 PM - 21 August, 2004
I'm looking for a 19" mixer for mixing club/house music. I'm old school and I use a Bozak 10-2DLS mixer at home but it's much too deep and heavy for most consoles. Plus she dosen't like to go out much. I have a Rane MP22z, I like it, it has a nice long smooth fade to the mix, but I need a mixer with a little more "OOMFF". I'm thinking about the Rane MP44, the Allen & Heath Zone62 or the Pioneer 600. Any suggestions? Thanks
Alexander 11:39 PM - 21 August, 2004
Well forget the 600 if these are the 3 your are looking at.....the MP44 is a 19" is a good mixer but the AH62 is primo in my opinion.... if I had the dough to cough up I would get one! But if you are going to go all the way you might as well go with the Xone:92! :)
Detroitbootybass 11:48 PM - 21 August, 2004
Consider the Rane MP24z... a bit cheaper than the MP44. I don't like the A&H mixers at all (even the xone:6 pales in comparison to your Bozak or a Urei), but this is a personal opinion. Have you given any thought to the Crest CP-6210 rotary or the Rane 2016?

Alexander is right - forget about the Pioneer. Their faders are crap and not durable. AVOID!

P.S. - If you are getting a new mixer, how much for your Bozak?
Dj Greg G 1:12 AM - 22 August, 2004
Even though I mix mostly, I would like a crossfader for the other music I play. I checked out the MP24z but I want a mixer with the input gains. That's the problem I have now with the MP22z, it's clean and clear but no OOMFF. I had the Denon X800 and compared to the MP22z, I had to turn everything down. The sound was nice but the fader was built for scratching, not a smooth fade for mixing. The Crest, I don't know anyone that's had and opinion of it. The Rane 2016, my friends that mix nothing but house music, and these guys go way back with rotary mixers, say no way. Sell the Bozak, "May God Have Mercy On Your Soul".
Detroitbootybass 1:30 AM - 22 August, 2004
Quote:
Sell the Bozak, "May God Have Mercy On Your Soul".

:-)

Ha ha ha!!!

Have you ever thought about having Mario G modify a Urei/Bozak to suit your needs? You can catch up with him on the Wave board:
www.wavemusic.com (click on 'community' and then go to the Tech section)
Another option is to buy or build a separate crossfader that you could just hook up to your Bozak (all the ones I see are 19" rack mountable).
Yet a third option is to build a mixer yourself... David Manusco is always pushing this idea on me (I most likely will do this in the future).
Detroitbootybass 1:32 AM - 22 August, 2004
Aw, crap... just go with the MP 44z if you don't want to hassle with custom shit.

:)
Dj Greg G 5:24 AM - 22 August, 2004
I see Mario's stuff all the time on ebay. I would like to put a Booth output on my Bozak but I think that I would be ruining the originality of the mixer. I think that's the only reason the Urei is more popular than the Bozak. I'll wait an see but the MP44z is in the top three.
Detroitbootybass 3:23 PM - 22 August, 2004
Mario does quality work... having a booth output isn't something that will lower the value of your mixer - in fact, it would be worth more with Mario's skilled hands. Some people like the bass response of the Urei to the Bozak (and others - vice versa). Me? I'm not picking favorites. Those are the two best mixers and the difference between them is very small.

Have fun when you buy your new Rane MP 44z... they are quite nice.

AK FutureTrax 9:29 PM - 22 August, 2004
Rane MP44 is tried and true - I have so say that Rane is by far the best. Loved my MP44 since I got it 4 years ago and never had a problem...

AK
Stuart Ramdeen 11:11 PM - 22 August, 2004
Quote:
Alexander is right - forget about the Pioneer. Their faders are crap and not durable. AVOID!

I have to disagree with this quote. I have never had a problem with mine or any others that I've played on. I love rane mixers and have had the pleasure of playing on various A&H mixers, but when I made the decision to get my djm600 it was between it and an A&H. I found the pioneer had a better lay out for the dj, while the a&h was still more studio oriented. Saying that, I did play with the V6 at the last plasa show and all I have to say is.... SMOOOOTH! quality of this thing is amazing, it feels like silk.
those analog vu meters look so sexy
s
Dj Greg G 3:44 AM - 23 August, 2004
I think I started something. Check out this article. Does a mixer make such a huge difference. pioneerprodjpforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.?
SpinThis! 4:15 AM - 23 August, 2004
i had a pioneer mixer. than i traded it for a rane. 'nuff said.
Alexander 6:35 AM - 23 August, 2004
Don't get me wrong Pioneer DJM series of mixers are a good mixer but don't compare to the ones that are being discussed in this thread. I had the 300 and still have my 500 had for almost 4 years now and it does it job well. But when I played on an A&H:62, Rane MP44 or 2016 there is no comparison...Just my 2 cents.

If I were to buy another mixer it would be Xone 92 hands down.
Detroitbootybass 10:34 PM - 23 August, 2004
Quote:
I think I started something. Check out this article. Does a mixer make such a huge difference. pioneerprodjpforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.?

What article?!? I was unable to find anything...

Pioneer mixers are not GOOD, but mearly adequate. They are on par with Vestax, which is a step down from Allen & Heath and Rane - and two steps down from a Urei or a Bozak.
Dj Greg G 2:35 AM - 24 August, 2004
Detroitbootybass 4:20 AM - 24 August, 2004

Great posting, Greg. Good to hear Shorty's words outside of the Wave board. Keep 'em coming...

harley250 4:24 PM - 15 March, 2014
Quote:
Well forget the 600 if these are the 3 your are looking at.....the MP44 is a 19" is a good mixer but the AH62 is primo in my opinion.... if I had the dough to cough up I would get one! But if you are going to go all the way you might as well go with the Xone:92! :)

Morio will hook you up with a booth pod, or Buzzy Beck, that what I'm going to do with my Bozak. I find it's the best way to go with putting out clean mixes.
Mr. Goodkat 4:41 PM - 15 March, 2014
10 yr old thread.

damn this board has been here for a second.
lvmez 7:12 PM - 15 March, 2014
I've seen Mario's garage first hand and the mixers he has are amazing. Prices aren't bad considering the condition of the mixers.
eugguy 9:58 PM - 15 March, 2014
I've got a xone 92 rotary for my house setup. Honestly doesn't get much better than that for straight up mixing. Aux cues, spilt cue, two headphone hacks, 2 mix out and a booth...oh and a four eq section with plenty of headroom.
eugguy 9:58 PM - 15 March, 2014
*headphone outs.
Mr. Goodkat 10:18 PM - 15 March, 2014
recently had to buy a mixer, and i really wanted to get an A&H. I may purchase one in the future. What overall is the sound, quality, build differences that you see in that and say a pioneer 800/900 mixer.
eugguy 12:13 AM - 17 March, 2014
Vs the 92? 4 eqs. Analogue vs digital. The 92 is nice and warm sounding. 800/900 has effects. Is standard for most clubs/gigs. If you are going to be playing out a lot, might help to get friendly with familiar equipment. Build for both is pretty solid.
Mr. Goodkat 12:17 AM - 17 March, 2014
i just wanted one for personal use and have the pioneer for club and mobile use. it looks like the fader throw and xfader throw is longer than PIO or rane as well.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 3:49 AM - 17 March, 2014
Mixer is only as good as the person using it. I know House DJ's that only use a 2 channel mixers and the crossfader.
dj jamalot 2:10 PM - 17 March, 2014
Any mixer with the Mix Button...
eugguy 4:37 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Mixer is only as good as the person using it. I know House DJ's that only use a 2 channel mixers and the crossfader.

this is can be applied to anything really, lol.
Mr. Goodkat 6:37 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:

no its only good as its components and design.
DJ Val-BKNY11203 8:07 PM - 17 March, 2014
Quote:
Quote:

no its only good as its components and design.

It's 2014...mixer components have come a very very long way.
Mr. Goodkat 10:39 PM - 17 March, 2014
of course they have. the question is what is the best mixer for dance music, unless he finds an experienced house dj with a 2 channel mixer with crossfader to dj for him, its probably gonna be hard for him to go that route.