DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Pole: Who doesn't use key lock?

smoothe 2:38 AM - 26 August, 2007
I don't.
Loopman 3:16 AM - 26 August, 2007
whats next? u don't use REL mode? haha.. who cares how u do it as long as you do it great!!
Jay-R 3:19 AM - 26 August, 2007
i use it. there are some songs where i don't use as it makes "pops".
sixxx 3:49 AM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
whats next? u don't use REL mode? haha.. who cares how u do it as long as you do it great!!

Yes. I don't use REL mode unless I want to loop Mr Loopman.
smoothe 3:56 AM - 26 August, 2007
I use rel mode all the time now.
DJ A Smooth 4:38 AM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
I use rel mode all the time now.

just remember who put u on it.... LOL
DJ A Smooth 4:40 AM - 26 August, 2007
its Poll not Pole lol... sorry i couldn't help myself lol...
Pete Moss 5:10 AM - 26 August, 2007
1. I use it (and I love it)
2. I'll never use ABS again
DJ Sniffles 5:11 AM - 26 August, 2007
I use it when necessary (speed up an acapella) and such and such
seven2wo 5:47 AM - 26 August, 2007
i use it except for when im scratching
seven2wo 5:47 AM - 26 August, 2007
lol @ pole
Osiris 6:28 AM - 26 August, 2007
I use it... The feature is too useful to not use it! Then again, it also depends on what I'm trying to mix. There are times when I may want that higher pitch of sped up record or the lows of a slowed tempo. Depends on what I'm trying to achieve or what the effect will give me when I'm in the mix.
LightsOut06 6:34 AM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:

i thought i was the only one who noticed that. I still use it all the time tho.
Jay-R 7:20 AM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

i thought i was the only one who noticed that. I still use it all the time tho.

your not the only one. it's easily noticable in low tempo songs with long bass lines.
deepdjdanny 7:23 AM - 26 August, 2007
I make use of it: as per Osiris.
Just as i would also make use of a 'tuning pitch' adjustment...
DJMark 7:34 AM - 26 August, 2007
I almost never use it, for the same reason I almost never use Master Tempo on CDJ's: too much degradation of the sound.
allenbina 10:15 AM - 26 August, 2007
poll: who doesn't use serato
DJCheLu 10:25 AM - 26 August, 2007
i use it at all times
DJCheLu 10:26 AM - 26 August, 2007
Along with Rel mode at all times, unless im attempting to scratch, then maybe abs mode.
JayB1200 1:47 PM - 26 August, 2007
I use it all the time except on certain songs.
blackavenger 2:03 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
its Poll not Pole lol... sorry i couldn't help myself lol...

Quote:
lol @ pole

Yeah, that's some funny shizz! So you're not Polish, and you don't use Key Lock?

I love Key Lock, it's allowed me to play 80's vocal tracks with my electro & funky house.....what could be better than that? As for the pops....have patience, I'm sure they'll 'lock' it down eventually.

Sometimes I turn it on then off for a tonal effect.
poloi3eai2 2:05 PM - 26 August, 2007
Why wouldn't someone use it? Because it takes away from the true essence of vinyl? I love it, I was waiting for key lock for long time. That was the only reason i liked using pioneer CDJs. Now I can change the pitch and not have the vocals sound like chipmunks or jabba the hut.
AMF 2:13 PM - 26 August, 2007
I normally don't use it because it gives off these wavey bass sounds (I hope I'm explaining it correctly). Anytime I use it with song that has any type of long 808 notes it just sounds horrible. So I don't use it much. Maybe 3 or 4 times per night.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 2:24 PM - 26 August, 2007
are the issues with k-lock linked to certain computer configurations / limitations?
nik39 2:59 PM - 26 August, 2007
No, these are limitations of the algorithm used,
dj hoodat baller 3:18 PM - 26 August, 2007
Key lock is great i use it all the time. I like that feature
deepdjdanny 3:21 PM - 26 August, 2007
it's possible that this bass tone wavering/quivering will never be solved.
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 3:59 PM - 26 August, 2007
are the issues with k-lock linked to certain computer configurations / limitations?
Konix 4:04 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
No, these are limitations of the algorithm used,

I don't use key lock cause I play techno/house and all my songs are usually never more than 5 BPMs from each other, and no vocals for the most part.

But Relative mode all the way.
DJ A Smooth 4:06 PM - 26 August, 2007
smoothe, stop arguing with me on aim about how i should not use keylock... ur such a little kid... sorry to say bro... but 90% of the people in this thread are using keylock... u said absolute was the best because its the closest thing to thing vinyl... then i showed u relative mode and u said im never using abs again... its just funny how you dont recognize the features of ssl and what it can do...
j cue 4:33 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
1. I use it (and I love it)
2. I'll never use ABS again

same here!! its a god send for heavy handed idiots like me!
j cue 4:34 PM - 26 August, 2007
im refering to rel mode!
DJ Greg J 5:23 PM - 26 August, 2007
I use it most of the time ... but would like to start remembering to turn it off more often because the latency is increased when I use it, at least on my laptop.
alphaquake 7:23 PM - 26 August, 2007
i used to use key lock but it affects my skratching
sixxx 7:24 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
i used to use key lock but it affects my skratching

Keylock is automatically disabled when scratching. Are you sure you can scratch? :P
alphaquake 7:26 PM - 26 August, 2007
yeah it lags on latency
sixxx 7:29 PM - 26 August, 2007
Adjust your buffer
DJ Overpour 7:36 PM - 26 August, 2007
Poll Smoker
Beatmaster JT 8:09 PM - 26 August, 2007
Poll: Who doesn't use spell-check?
sixxx 8:18 PM - 26 August, 2007
Poll: Who likes polls?
Poll: Who likes pollo?
Poll: Who is still reading this?
sixxx 8:19 PM - 26 August, 2007
Poll: Who's counting how many posts I've done about Polls and is about to comment on them?
Poll: Who are you?
My Poll owns your Poll.
My Poll graduated with honors from a Major Polliversity.
DJ Stuart (AR) 8:28 PM - 26 August, 2007
Pole-y wants a cracker.
djnvs 8:32 PM - 26 August, 2007
I know a few girls who ride polls
DJDLO 415 10:43 PM - 26 August, 2007
i dont understand the key lock....yes i know im a loser
De LA 11:05 PM - 26 August, 2007
why would you not use it? having it turned on doesnt affect anything.
dj luis 11:15 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
i dont understand the key lock....yes i know im a loser

it locks the key
DJMark 11:17 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:

Uhh, it definitely affects the sound quality! I know I'm more critical about sound-quality than most people on here, but I seriously cannot believe *anyone* would not hear what Key Lock does to the audio.

Also Key Lock causes CPU use to go up somewhat, something that people with slower CPU's might be concerned about.
AdamJay 11:22 PM - 26 August, 2007
the key lock is sounding much better in 1.7.3RC1 with the hi-fi resampler checked in the setup menu. uses EVEN more CPU, but worth it IMO.
De LA 2:57 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Uhh, it definitely affects the sound quality! I know I'm more critical about sound-quality than most people on here, but I seriously cannot believe *anyone* would not hear what Key Lock does to the audio.

Also Key Lock causes CPU use to go up somewhat, something that people with slower CPU's might be concerned about.

Never Noticed any change in sound quality....Although I dont push it and try to mix a 95 bpm song with a 105. It always sounds fine to me and Ive never got complaints from clubs.
Psyko Logical 3:29 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Never Noticed any change in sound quality....Although I dont push it and try to mix a 95 bpm song with a 105. It always sounds fine to me and Ive never got complaints from clubs.

Try playing 'Bigger Than Hip Hop' by Dead Prez with k lock on at +4 then -4. You'll hear it. Most tracks are good though.
djbriguy 3:35 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. I don't use REL mode unless I want to loop Mr Loopman.

+1, basics sound better in my opinion.

and if you dont like my opinion go home =)
Pete Moss 3:47 AM - 27 August, 2007
Has it ever struck you guys that there are different modes and defeatable options for a reason? If you don't like it, don't use it. If you do use it, don't let others bully you. Some of you sound like kids on a playground.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 5:38 AM - 27 August, 2007
I use it cos I'm a terrible DJ and i can get away with riding the pitch and no one notices the little pitch changes
Mwahahahahahahahahaha!
sixxx 5:42 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
I use it cos I'm a terrible DJ and i can get away with riding the pitch and no one notices the little pitch changes
Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

You DJ so bad, you only use Keylock to hide the fact you're a "terrible DJ" and you want to "get away with riding the pitch" without anyone noticing "the little pitch changes"

lol
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 5:42 AM - 27 August, 2007
you sure know how to hit where it hurts sixxx
sixxx 5:50 AM - 27 August, 2007
I'm trained in the internet martial arts of "UsoZuky".

:P
AlexRage 6:09 AM - 27 August, 2007
lol, pole.
djnvs 6:13 AM - 27 August, 2007
POLE: Who smokes it?
djnvs 6:14 AM - 27 August, 2007
POLE: Who smokes it?

Not me
AKIEM 6:46 AM - 27 August, 2007
no use, to much of my sets are rips from vinyl that I expect to sound un-key-locked
DJDLO 415 7:43 AM - 27 August, 2007
nm i was high earlier, i know what it is......i DONT use it...i like when it sounds natural or "like a chip-munk"
nik39 8:41 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I am not very critical about sound quality - but even I can hear it. So much, that I only use it when I really have to use it.
AMF 11:22 AM - 27 August, 2007
^^^Ditto nik.
djbriguy 1:31 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Has it ever struck you guys that there are different modes and defeatable options for a reason? If you don't like it, don't use it. If you do use it, don't let others bully you. Some of you sound like kids on a playground.

OH we understand... but those of us you refer to as "you guys" are the ones that enjoy, what we call REAL DJ'ING... and thats Absolutle mode. Its just our preference. And thank god we live in America where we're allowed to express our opinion.
DJ VK 1:38 PM - 27 August, 2007
Only use REL mode when dealing with loops and cue points.
DJ VK 1:38 PM - 27 August, 2007
It's all about ABS mode. REL is just a bonus feature in my opinion.
djbriguy 1:53 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
It's all about ABS mode. REL is just a bonus feature in my opinion.

+1
De LA 1:59 PM - 27 August, 2007
welcome to the new debate....abs vs rel.
shiestO! 3:03 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
no use, to much of my sets are rips from vinyl that I expect to sound un-key-locked

for me i didn't play nearly as much hip hop til i had serato anyway. had vinyl, mixed some but 95% drum and bass on vinyl in those days... 5% hip hop. now i use SSL/vinyl on both.

and i use keylock on hip hop for the logical reasons. i don't use it on drum and bass as i'm used to having it pitched up similar to akiem's problem. don't want to "alter" the beat really.
grrillatactics 3:06 PM - 27 August, 2007
I very rarely use key lock. It has its uses, such as when I am layering an acapella over something and I have to go to the outer limits of my pitch range to make it fit (the warbles are less aparent with acapellas, imo), but since most of my sets are either dnb or breaks now, the key lock is far less of an issue than if I were to exclusively play hip hop (where there is a much more broad bpm range for the songs).

In regards to REL mode, I love it, and can't imagine playing without having my cue points and loops readily available with the push of a button. I can't remember the last time I used ABS mode (not that I am downing those who do use ABS, but for me, the tools of REL are too valuable to my style to not use it).
Jay-R 3:26 PM - 27 August, 2007
i hated relative mode.......when i first got serato and didn't know how to use it. 2 days later.....hello relative mode!
dj synystr 3:38 PM - 27 August, 2007
why not use it it opens up so many more options when it comes to mixing different songs with way different bpms.
sixxx 4:12 PM - 27 August, 2007
I beat DJJOHNNYMsoreloser using ABS mode.
De LA 4:20 PM - 27 August, 2007
wait for the response for Johhny:

You TRIED to beat me using DVD Mode.

But
You
already
Know.

:p
De LA 4:20 PM - 27 August, 2007
*from
sixxx 4:21 PM - 27 August, 2007
Oh I know...

He
Already
Knows
I'm
The
Puppet
Master
Pete Moss 7:11 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

OH we understand... but those of us you refer to as "you guys" are the ones that enjoy, what we call REAL DJ'ING... and thats Absolutle mode. Its just our preference. And thank god we live in America where we're allowed to express our opinion.

I would have agreed with you until a year or so ago. Once I started defining cue points and familiarizing myself with relative, I loved it. But, several guys I know prefer ABS. Either way I would still classify my style as real DJing
AdamJay 7:16 PM - 27 August, 2007
Virtual Vinyl has a neat hybrid rel/abs mode called "smart" mode.

needle dropping plus cueing and looping.

Not saying anything good about PooMark, just that competition is fueling technological advancements. SSL should adopt this mode so that i can assign my TTM57SL footswitch to something other than ABS/REL switching, yea that'd be great i could assign it to FX parameters.... wait, wrong thread.
sixxx 7:20 PM - 27 August, 2007
Smart mode sounds dope. I love ABS and I love some of the REL features. I love real vinyl too.
AKIEM 7:24 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:

I will be the first to switch from ABS to REL, as plenty of us will, if/when we get it.
cappinkirk 7:27 PM - 27 August, 2007
if you use ABS mode you don't get to use the cue points or loops, right?

Mr. Moss, with all respect due, why do you think this is "real" DJing? are you just being sarcastic?
nik39 8:22 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

How does it work?
AdamJay 8:30 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

How does it work?

i'm not a programmer, so i can't answer that fully.
but it seems to me it sort of starts a new track in absolute mode, and by triggering cue points or looping commands the deck is then automatically switched to relative mode.

i think a simple setup option to "override abs to rel" in SSL could do the trick, automatically switching to rel mode when users try to access rel functions in abs mode, but where newly loaded tracks re-engage the abs mode (for needle dropping). and if you wanted to switch from rel to abs, you'd have to take the needle off for at least half a second, so SSL could decipher the difference between needle dropping and simple needle skipping.
nik39 8:48 PM - 27 August, 2007
Hm, sounds complicated.
AdamJay 8:53 PM - 27 August, 2007
its just exception commands.

i.e. in rel mode, if cue 1 is triggered - go to cue 1

in abs mode, if cue 1 is triggered, switch to rel and go to cue 1
DJBlisk 8:57 PM - 27 August, 2007
I don't see the point of using abs mode for dj clubbing anymore.
cappinkirk 9:18 PM - 27 August, 2007
i beat people up if they don't use REL
uno seis 9:24 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:

+1

sixxx, please enlighten us haha
bandoma 9:25 PM - 27 August, 2007
i use key lock all the time and i always use relative mode. ive paid my dues and ive "kept it real" for long enough.

if you're not using relative mode you're missing out.
sixxx 9:26 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

+1

sixxx, please enlighten us haha

It's not my problem you guys are ROBOTS! :P
sixxx 9:26 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
i use key lock all the time and i always use relative mode. ive paid my dues and ive "kept it real" for long enough.

if you're not using relative mode you're missing out.

Keylock works with absolute. :)
a-swift 11:42 PM - 27 August, 2007
we had a pole at my jam on saturday night and this blonde got all tipsy and busted her chin on the pole stage. i heart drunks.
KaGeN 11:44 PM - 27 August, 2007
I know you're packing a camera in your pocket, where's the picks?
bandoma 12:07 AM - 28 August, 2007
pics man...we need pics!
a-swift 12:56 AM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
I know you're packing a camera in your pocket, where's the picks?

i havent had a camera since the last laker game. this chick that went to the game with me asked if i would take a picture of her and magic. that's the last i saw of my camera.,
KaGeN 3:39 AM - 28 August, 2007
the iSwift iPhone has a CAMERA... don't be tryin to escape this..

Watchwww.youtube.com
sixxx 3:43 AM - 28 August, 2007
Busted!
The E Head 8:33 AM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
Smart mode sounds dope. I love ABS and I love some of the REL features. I love real vinyl too.

I love bitches to:)
grrillatactics 2:29 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
and if you wanted to switch from rel to abs, you'd have to take the needle off for at least half a second, so SSL could decipher the difference between needle dropping and simple needle skipping.

Or you could just move the needle to the lead-in portion of the CV for a fraction of a second and that would trigger the switch back to ABS. Just an idea.
sixxx 2:31 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not into animals. I like girls and ladies though. :P
The E Head 1:37 PM - 29 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not into animals. I like men and boys though. :P

Each to their own sixxx, it ain't for us to judge:P
sixxx 2:08 PM - 29 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not into animals. I like girls and ladies though. :P

Each to their own sixxx, it ain't for us to judge:P

Yeah. Too bad you don't like girls and ladies. hahaha
Thundercat 3:19 PM - 29 August, 2007
I use key lock about 5% of the time. Mostly for doing the acapellas on trashups and then forgetting to turn it back off. The really noticable low end distortion turns me off (which is why I use it mostly on vocals). Once a true PnT plug-in is released, I will likely use that much more frequently. I use relative mode 95% of the time. I <3 my cue points & loopz.