Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Smart Crates?

DJ Cs 2:44 AM - 1 August, 2011
One thing I was hoping for in the new 2.0 version is a way to keep my crates updated as I manage them on my file system.

I thought that was what smart crates were about. Does it do this and am I just missing it or are we still having to use a third party software to keep music synched?

If I have a folder called Lounge on my hard drive...drag that folder into a crate showing all songs, does that crate update when I add a new song to the folder on the hard drive?
zaguama 2:54 AM - 1 August, 2011
no. smart crates dont work at the file system level, they work only within ITCH library. So you still need to add your tracks into ITCH, analyze them but after you add them if they meet any of your smart crates rules they will also show up on your smart crates but they wont magically appear there just by adding new files to a folder in your hard drive.
DJ Cs 2:59 AM - 1 August, 2011
Yeah, thought that was one BIG oversight in the update. The 2.0 update is almost flawless so far, but that ONE feature would do wonders in terms of saving time. As it is now, you have to touch a song twice if you organize them on your file system in their logical folders (logical to each DJ). Once in the file structure and once in Itch.

Right now, the best way to update a crate is to delete it and then re-add it, which brings in all the new music as well.
DJ LIL M 3:07 AM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
.drag that folder into a crate showing all songs, does that crate update when I add a new song to the folder on the hard drive
this would be a nice feature
zaguama 3:19 AM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
Yeah, thought that was one BIG oversight in the update. The 2.0 update is almost flawless so far, but that ONE feature would do wonders in terms of saving time. As it is now, you have to touch a song twice if you organize them on your file system in their logical folders (logical to each DJ). Once in the file structure and once in Itch.

Right now, the best way to update a crate is to delete it and then re-add it, which brings in all the new music as well.

what you posted would be the ultimate feature for library management but this has been requested for years and i dont see it changing any time soon, scratch live has always worked like that and itch inherited the same culture so i think people just get used to doing double the work.
DJ.Tyme 9:23 AM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:

man i feel you 100% on this one i also thought smart crates was suppose to do? wish serato will think this out & i hate having to delete & remake the same folder just to get new music into itch
Ken L. Jones 4:43 PM - 1 August, 2011
i loved this feature when i used traktor.. and definitely want to see this in itch!
DJ.Tyme 11:22 PM - 1 August, 2011
Quote:
i loved this feature when i used traktor.. and definitely want to see this in itch!

so your saying in traktor say on my pc my folders are = 80"s, old school,country, hip hop,ect,ect & i add some new songs to some of these folders, when i open traktor those songs will show up in the same folders ? just like virtual dj does ?
Ken L. Jones 11:36 PM - 1 August, 2011
yeah pretty much.

I had all my folders on my desktop. Whenever i had new songs, I just dropped them into their respective folders.

Opened up traktor, and under explorer i was able to navigate to the folders. I would click on the bpm section of the library, and those new tracks would appear on the top because they weren't analyzed.

life was easy
zaguama 11:45 PM - 1 August, 2011
Well its the same with Virtual DJ, the library also works at the filesystem level.
DJ.Tyme 12:08 AM - 2 August, 2011
then why serato why are ya behind in this department ? its an real headache making new folders with the same name just to add music to & then add that folder all over again in itch
DJ LIL M 1:00 AM - 2 August, 2011
That feature needs to be in the next update
DJ.Tyme 3:48 AM - 2 August, 2011
we can only cross our fingers and toe's