Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

2.0 beta Release Candidate 2

dj lashes 2:21 PM - 25 July, 2011
Just wondering when it maybe be coming? (days/weeks) am 98% happy with Release Candidate 1 just the few miner glitches so "for me" Release Candidate 2 seems like i could be 99.99999999% good to go.
marcA 2:57 PM - 25 July, 2011
patience neighbour!
dj lashes 3:22 PM - 25 July, 2011
Quote:
patience neighbour!

its not that am rushing them just if it gonna be days then i will not start setting the beat grids back in place as most are now starting beat 1 from the intro where there is no beat and i have alot of tracks but if weeks away then ill set them all again i have like 4-5 shows a week
I1Kirm 5:05 PM - 25 July, 2011
Just fix your beatgrids and lock them. This way you will keep them intact even if you re- analyze them in the future
Dj Shamann 5:20 PM - 25 July, 2011
I can't even use release candidate 1, patiently waiting candidate 2. The SSL candidates usually turn over pretty fast but I'm new to ITCH so I'm curious as well, I know this is a totally revamped version so I'd imagine there's a little bit more to do.

My NS6 has pretty much been a paper weight since I got it though.
marcA 5:26 PM - 25 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
patience neighbour!

its not that am rushing them just if it gonna be days then i will not start setting the beat grids back in place as most are now starting beat 1 from the intro where there is no beat and i have alot of tracks but if weeks away then ill set them all again i have like 4-5 shows a week

well for me it is simple : don't do a thing till it's out of beta...
modifcations can be all over the place and there are issues with analysing in 20096
so just wait another couple of weeks
if you do set beatgrids you might wanna re-analyse when the RTM is released
dj lashes 6:29 PM - 25 July, 2011
Quote:
Just fix your beatgrids and lock them. This way you will keep them intact even if you re- analyze them in the future

woo cool never know i could do that thx bro
dj lashes 6:30 PM - 25 July, 2011
Quote:
I can't even use release candidate 1, patiently waiting candidate 2. The SSL candidates usually turn over pretty fast but I'm new to ITCH so I'm curious as well, I know this is a totally revamped version so I'd imagine there's a little bit more to do.

can i buy your paper weight or change it with rock to hold your paper
DJdaveZ 10:24 AM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

lol!!! i like the trade for a rock idea...
djcerla 10:33 AM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:

uh? my NS6 has always worked great, even on pre-release beta software! it's your computer, most likely.
Maskrider 3:46 PM - 26 July, 2011
It has to be the computer start buying a new one .
Dj Shamann 6:38 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
uh? my NS6 has always worked great, even on pre-release beta software! it's your computer, most likely.

Not the computer, it's a known issue as I've seen it multiple times in the beta bugs section, it has to do with ITCH not the specific hardware as I've seen it listed with other devices. I don't like 1.7 since I have other ScratchLive specific hardware (SL1, 57) to use, so in the meantime so the NS6 is just sitting there.

Quote:
It has to be the computer start buying a new one .

Nah I'm not one of those that thinks that's the answer to everything. My computer runs plug in session heavy PT sessions, I can run SSL and Ableton at the same time no problem (even if I felt like surfing the net at the same time), and everything else I do is just fine without so much as a hiccup. I'm not going to go out and buy another computer because the first beta of a secondary program to me doesn't work, it's unnecessary and a bit ridiculous.
Dj Shamann 6:39 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:

LOL it may be useless to me right now, but it's still pretty, so i'm going to hang on to it for just a little while longer

;p
djcerla 7:09 PM - 26 July, 2011
@ DJ Shamann

Assuming you're using your NS6 professionally, getting a dedicated laptop is very reasonable (not "ridiculous"). They're only tools, don't take it personally.
Dj Shamann 7:54 PM - 26 July, 2011
Cerla, I use SSL professionally, I use Pro Tools professionally, I use Ableton professionally. I don't use ITCH beta professionally, to suggest that I go out and buy a new computer when I have a perfectly good one that works with the mentioned programs, based on problems (that have also been identified by other users with completely different machines) with the first beta of a program is not being reasonable.

Believe me nobody's taking anything personally, if anything by you saying "I have NS6 and it works fine" you're making it personal. As if because it works for you, it must work for everybody else even though there was known firmware issues, the hardware itself is only a little more than two months released, and they're in the middle of totally revamping the software, there is going to be issues and they're not all going to be solved by "just buy another computer man". I'll wait for the updates and make my judgements accordingly, this release candidate is what a week old? Talk about jumping the gun. I'm not that restless.

I don't play local bars that require me to lug in my own gear. 90% of the time, the venues I work have their own systems. The NS6 is something I bought as a 3rd stringer to my own set up, if I need to I can use any combination of what I already own in SL1, 57, turntables, Denon 3700's (with or without laptop) all of which I would prefer to use over the NS6, it makes zero sense to go buy yet another machine to accommodate a program that still has to go through multiple stages before it's even officially released. Especially when this program is not essential to my livelihood. Should I go out and buy a new computer because the beta version of Windows Media Player isn't working? LOL

Don't take anything I'm saying here as confrontation, it's just an explanation (albeit a long winded one, my apologies I'm known for this on the other side). But I find it funny that you say "they're only tools" when I've basically maintained that this whole way through, and you've taken the stance that "there can't be anything wrong with the NS6 because mine works", it's a little defensive in a conversation that doesn't warrant it.

With all due respect to you because reading these forums I understand you're a die hard ITCH user, but I'm not as invested in it yet. I don't need to be, so the world isn't going to end and I don't need to buy new gear when I can just wait a few weeks for it to work.

The big 4 programs I need to survive work, the new toy doesn't, which one do I cater to?
DJ MDX 8:20 PM - 26 July, 2011
What exactly is the problem with your NS6? I had an issue yesterday with it being dead in the water with any version of ITCH due the a firmware upgrade I did in 2.0 Beta.

I was given a link to instructions on how to erase the current firmware and install a good one and it solved my problem. Not sure if that has anything to do with your issue but if it does, I'm glad to pass along the support info.
Dj Shamann 8:25 PM - 26 July, 2011
No it's not that, thanks though. Basically ITCH won't start up with the device plugged in. I've tried it myself on two computers, I've read the problem maybe 4 or 5 times from others. The thing with beta bug reports though is they're not there to deal with every individuals problem but to collect information for the next fix. So it's just a waiting game at this point.

Usually in SSL the beta versions turn over pretty fast, but I'm guessing since this is a total revamp of the software there's going to be a little more work involved before they update each release candidate.
DJdaveZ 10:05 PM - 26 July, 2011
i think there was a firmware issue... they were saying to try reloading previous firmware...
DJ MDX 11:00 PM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:
i think there was a firmware issue... they were saying to try reloading previous firmware...

There is, here is the fix --> serato.com
DJdaveZ 12:49 AM - 27 July, 2011
good stuff Al!
djcerla 1:13 AM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
Cerla, I use SSL professionally, I use Pro Tools professionally, I use Ableton professionally. I don't use ITCH beta professionally, to suggest that I go out and buy a new computer when I have a perfectly good one that works with the mentioned programs, based on problems (that have also been identified by other users with completely different machines) with the first beta of a program is not being reasonable.

1) the NS6 doesn't ship with ITCH 2.0, so why are you talking about a "first beta"? Do you have the older software? Have you tried it? With what results?
2) A computer may be perfect for PT, but suck with the USB-hog that is ITCH. SSL is much, much lighter, you can't really compare them and here's why www.djtechtools.com
DJdaveZ 1:45 AM - 27 July, 2011
he means he doesnt want to try the beta.... this is the first public beta version of 2.0.... he gonna just wait for some bugs to get worked out.
djcerla 1:49 AM - 27 July, 2011
No, because he said

Quote:

So I'm asking if he's aware of the older (non-beta, stable) software.
Dj Shamann 1:51 AM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
1) the NS6 doesn't ship with ITCH 2.0, so why are you talking about a "first beta"? Do you have the older software? Have you tried it? With what results?

Okay, seriously let's recap because you're clearly not following and trying too hard to defend something that's not being attacked.

I have an NS6. I don't like ITCH 1.7 (as i already stated) compared to my already available SSL 2.2

2.0 is in beta stage and still has a few versions to go before they get it all worked out. Therefore, I choose not to use the NS6 right now.

Your suggestion, go out and buy a new computer... for what? So that something i bought as a 3rd stringer can work during beta phase? Do you realize how stupid that would be for me and my bank account if i ran out everytime i tried an unnoficial release and had problems? Especially when i not only have many alternatives in various combinations of any of the following, SL1, TTM 57, Technics 1200's and Denon 3700's, all which i not only prefer, but work absolutely fine with my current computer.

And not only do they work, but Pro tools which I use plug in HEAVY to record full on albums on the regular, Ableton which I use with my SSL and without (which ITCH is nowhere near) , video... again, ITCH is nowhere near that stage and countless other programs I use in my daily life to go about my business. But since beta 2.0 of ITCH doesn't work, I'm supposed to drop everything else and cater to it?

Sure, I could unnecessarily buy a new computer to accomodate my new toy, or i can wait a stage or two which would be maybe a few weeks, which again is no skin off my back because as I said, 90% of the venues I play at are not local bars without their own equipment, and even if they were i have plenty of other options. So I'm in no way near a dire need to have this thing working on 2.0 right now (even if it was working, I still don't need it anytime soon) and I choose not to use it. Thanks for the advice, but unless someone from Serato tells me now "sorry dude, but your computer will never work with ITCH" I'll hold off on the impulse purchases.

DJdaveZ 1:52 AM - 27 July, 2011
yeah he mentioned he didnt like the previous software, and prefers his SSL rig... was hoping 2.0 would match up to ssl for him, but didnt.

no sense worrying for him though...........
Dj Shamann 1:56 AM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
he means he doesnt want to try the beta.... this is the first public beta version of 2.0.... he gonna just wait for some bugs to get worked out.

This ^

Quote:
So I'm asking if he's aware of the older (non-beta, stable) software.

As I said in the post directly after that..

Quote:
I don't like 1.7 since I have other ScratchLive specific hardware (SL1, 57) to use

It's a preference thing, no offense to those who love ITCH or use it as their main set up, but for me, ITCH 1.7 to SSL 2.2 is like an ATARI next to an X-Box, I already have what i need with SSL, ITCH is sort of an "all grounds covered" back up for me.
djcerla 1:57 AM - 27 July, 2011
I have bought a new Macbook Pro i7, for example: surely better ITCH performance, but also faster Final Cut rendering, more Logic Pro plugins, etc etc.

I've sold the old one (the 3rd, because I always have a backup laptop), full stop. Life is beautiful.

I only don't understand why

Quote:
My NS6 has pretty much been a paper weight

if it works fine with 1.7. Papers weights don't play music, at least here in Italy.
Dj Shamann 2:04 AM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
if it works fine with 1.7. Papers weights don't play music, at least here in Italy.

I don't like 1.7, plain and simple. Why would i use my NS6 right now when I not only don't need it, but have programs I do like to use?

This is not my first trip to the beta dance, I'm cool with sitting out the first song since i know eventually the party will get under way.
djcerla 2:07 AM - 27 July, 2011
I understand. But a casual reader may be lead to think that your NS6 doesn't work at all (just like a paperweight). And this is not the case, I guess.
Dj Shamann 2:10 AM - 27 July, 2011
No, it's an expression... it just means "it's sitting there". It's not being used right now.
djcerla 2:11 AM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
No, it's an expression... it just means "it's sitting there". It's not being used right now.

Allright.
DJdaveZ 2:20 AM - 27 July, 2011
awwwwwww group hug! :)
kraal 6:52 AM - 27 July, 2011
wow so many petty arguments and no real help on these forums anymore --- what a shame
DJdaveZ 7:22 AM - 27 July, 2011
not much help lately cause you've been MIA... must be that... were you off learning how to match beats? ;)
jon- e- blaze 7:59 AM - 27 July, 2011
i agree with kraal, it seems like the whole chemistry of these forums have changed. I dont look at any other software forums so im not sur how they are, but these forums have become an embarasment to itch. It is a shame.. with the release of 2.0, it should be better times.. well i guess i will just keep to myself and enjoy 2.0.. a couple of you guys are cool though keep it up.
djcerla 8:24 AM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
wow so many petty arguments and no real help on these forums anymore --- what a shame

This is a discussion forum and, as in the real world, discussions may turn into arguments. There is nothing strange; you had several "petty" arguments, too, but still you are a very helpful guy. These are not mutually exclusive things.
DJ MDX 2:25 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
good stuff Al!

NP, glad I could help - that's what I do ;-)
JBoogz 3:12 PM - 27 July, 2011
I see everyone taling about using 1.7 and 1.7.1 with the NS6, mine came with 1.8.1

Is 1.7 more stable with the ns6 or something?
djcerla 3:51 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
I see everyone taling about using 1.7 and 1.7.1 with the NS6, mine came with 1.8.1

Is 1.7 more stable with the ns6 or something?

actually, it's 1.8.1. 1.7.1 will not recognize your NS6.
kraal 3:52 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

This is a discussion forum and, as in the real world, discussions may turn into arguments. There is nothing strange; you had several "petty" arguments, too, but still you are a very helpful guy. These are not mutually exclusive things.

but you also notice i post far less cause even when you are trying to help people arguee about the help you are giving them
Dj Shamann 3:54 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:

LOL Cerla misunderstood something, we went back and forth a couple of posts and straightened it out, nothing more. Let's not turn it into the big deal that it wasn't, jeez.

As Cerla said, these are discussion forums, not everybody will see eye to eye on everything, and sometimes in a read only situation points will be misunderstood, after that no beef, we move on.
Dj Shamann 4:06 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
actually, it's 1.8.1. 1.7.1 will not recognize your NS6.

Yes, you are correct. For my own personal use, I didn't like the stripped down feeling of this release since they removed instant doubles for the time being, couple that with no SP6 and other things that are yet to be implemented in ITCH as a whole, there was really no point to using it. I probably said 1.7 because I got a little more use out of it with the VCI.
kraal 5:05 PM - 27 July, 2011
ok just trying to follow and help and all these post and still dont know if your ns6 is working or not :)
Dj Shamann 5:43 PM - 27 July, 2011
Well with all due respect because I know you guys like to do your part around here and that's cool, but I never asked for help. I just made a statement about not being able to use release candidate 1 and it turned into this whole mess.

Quote:

That was my post. From there I was "helped" by being told to buy a new computer, even before I hadn't told anybody what the problem was. This is why i wouldn't ask for help here, but in the proper forum because to me that is not very helpful. Especially since release candidate 2 came out today and now ITCH 2.0 is able to open on my machine. Had I listened to the "help" I'd be out $2000 on a new computer.

You see I'm new to ITCH, but I'm 6 years on SSL and I have been a tester, I'm aware of how these things progress so I never once blamed the machine and if you read my posts you will see that, and if I'm blaming the machine I will take it to Numark, not forum members who are quick to tell me to purchase new things without knowing anything about the problem. I left my bug report and moved on, made a passing remark in here and it turned into this whole mess.

That's cool that you guys want to help and all, more forum members should have that attitude, but sometimes you gotta know when to turn it off. Not everybody is interested in "help" all the time, especially when they've already had dialog with official staff members who are in a better position to "help"

And again, as I said to Cerla earlier...

Quote:
Don't take anything I'm saying here as confrontation, it's just an explanation (albeit a long winded one, my apologies I'm known for this on the other side.

Quote:
With all due respect to you because reading these forums I understand you're a die hard ITCH user,

Please don't take anything I sid personally, If you knew me from the other side you'll know I've been here a long time and don't hold grudges, I'm not looking for a beef here and don't plan on carrying one over to another thread, but if you just step back for a minute and not try and be the "helfpful forum member", you'd realize that this shouldn't have even gone this far. I wasn't looking for anything in this thread other than to say what I had to say about release candidates.

:)
DJ MDX 5:47 PM - 27 July, 2011
Out of all this back and forth - no one is yet to mention that what started this thread was a question of when 2.0 BETA RELEASE CANDIDATE 2 would be out?

Well its out....go enjoy/test it!!
Dj Shamann 5:51 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
no one is yet to mention that what started this thread was a question of when 2.0 BETA RELEASE CANDIDATE 2 would be out?

I just did, beat you to it! HAHA!

;p
DJ LIL M 6:24 PM - 27 July, 2011
If everything goes right we should see something aug 1st
kraal 6:35 PM - 27 July, 2011
well my main issue is if 2.0 rc1 isnt working and niether is 1.8 i would like to know what magic in 2.0 rc2 will make it work
Dj Shamann 7:33 PM - 27 July, 2011
Jesus chrysler, I dunno what to tell you then Kraal, it's not your place to have an issue so why are you so concerned with making it your issue. I never said 1.8 didn't work, again, people are to quick to defend what wasn't being attacked. Did I once in this thread say 1.8 wasn't working? And this was addressed how many times in this thread, not just by me. It's been covered.

Quote:
if 2.0 rc1 isnt working and niether is 1.8 i would like to know what magic in 2.0 rc2 will make it work

Precisely why you don't have "Serato" underneath your name, because you don't know what magic made it work, but regardless, it did. So you probably just sit back sometimes and be what you are, a regular forum member just like me, not a tech mate, not an employee of Serato or Numark or whatever else, just be you and let the powers that be worry about the magic.

Because you're so quick to "help" but not as quick to read, the issue with rc1 was noted by multiple users in the bug reports, not just by me, rc2 is out today and now I don't have the same issues. Magic? To you and me? Maybe. But to those who are actually qualified, probably not so much magic as it is tweaking it to work based on what they've seen in the reports from the public other than what they saw in the initial tests. That's what beta releases are for, they're not perfect. Some candidates won't work as well as others and that's why there is a process.

I've had Scratch betas work for me right out the gate, where as others regardless of their machine were not so lucky. Some guys on the other side still won't use certain official release next to others just because they don't like the way they function, whether it's on a shiny new MBP or a commodore 64. Again, it's a beta, anybody who is ready to buy a new computer based on how a week one release performs on their existing computer must have money burn. I have better things to do with my money so if that's your help, duly noted, but no thanks.

If I need help on something pre-2.0 related, like where a certain button is or something like that, I may ask you. Until then, "help" for beta 2.0 has it's own forum where they like to keep it so they can focus on the issues themselves to address for the next release, rather than having the enthusiasts solve problems that are outside of their jurisdiction.
Dj Shamann 7:35 PM - 27 July, 2011
TBH I'm shocked at how the so called helpful could jump to all these conclusions and take it this far based on a simple statement. And I'm sorry to have been a part of this, but I was baffled at how misconstrued this was by the self appointed help squad. Outside of beta bugs, ITCH 2.0 is ScratchLive junior, I don't need anybody's help on navigating it, understanding what features are what, because this is basically like going back to 1.9 for me. It took all of four seconds to set it up today and go to town. In comparison to those who have even been on the previous versions of ITCH for years but are just experiencing this new set up for the first time, I've got years on you, respectfully. So again, all due respect to you for trying to be helpful, but if you don't understand what's being said, it's not needed at this time.
DJ MDX 7:40 PM - 27 July, 2011
<--- Clicks "Stop Tracking...."
Dj Shamann 7:42 PM - 27 July, 2011
The only people in this entire discussion that actually were helpful were MDX and DaveZ, one by offering the firmware fix and one by trying to explain what I meant in the first place before this got dragged on and twisted seven ways from Sunday. Thanks for that though, my bad to help this convo become so ridiculous.
kraal 7:49 PM - 27 July, 2011
plain and simple cause in the future if i or other run into the same issue then it would be nice to know

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

but you also notice i post far less cause even when you are trying to help people arguee about the help you are giving them
Dj Shamann 7:52 PM - 27 July, 2011
Plain and simple people might argue about "the help" you are trying to give them if they didn't ask for it. Especially when the help is not only bogus, but uninformed and not their territory.

Seriously, who needs a Johnny Two-Cents constantly peeking over everybody's shoulder making their issue Johnny's own?
kraal 7:54 PM - 27 July, 2011
because there are not just 2 people reading the forum and how can you call my comments bogus when all they were were questions to you?
Ragman 8:05 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:

Ditto...
DJ Easy Eddie 8:05 PM - 27 July, 2011
In my circles you will be ridiculed for even considering a production status X.0 version. X.1 is approached with caution. Anybody who has a slight clue about software development life cycle would understand what DJ Shamann is talking about. The least you can do is atleast pay attention to the welcome screen and the caveats serato put on it then use your better judgement. Alpha, beta, rc1,rc2, rcX should not be treated so seriously period.
Dj Shamann 8:14 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
because there are not just 2 people reading the forum and how can you call my comments bogus when all they were were questions to you?

This is like a merry go round. Did you not say that in response to Cerla?

Quote:

even when you are trying to help people arguee about the help you are giving them

The help I was given by Cerla was bogus. He didn't even know what the problem was yet suggested a fix of buying a new piece of machine because of a shaky beta, yet a mere day later that problem was no longer an issue. Sorry, but wrong diagnosis. In his defense, he misunderstood the saying "used as a paperweight" and once we sorted it, no harm no foul.

Then you got all this "wow, so many petty arguments, can't we just get along" which was not needed at that point.

Now the "help" you're trying to give me is not only uninformed by thinking any of this had anything to do with 1.8.1 or the NS6, but also is dealing with a subject that is not your territory.

So again, why are you "helping"? This topic is about a beta release for Serato ITCH 2.0, are you employed by Serato? No, so there is nothing you can do to help at this point other than tell people what buttons are new in the software, a software now designed to look like a software I've been on for 6 years. I've gone through the proper channels and left my bug reports like any beta tester should do and went about my day, bug reports are not there to help individuals but to try and pinpoint issues to fix for the next release, so from there it was a waiting game, something that is out of both yours and my hands. Fortunately I waited a mere day and wouldn't you know it, problem disappeared. Magic to you. Does this mean it's suddenly a stable release? No, but it's a start.

If you're going to "help", read what is being asked and then add your comments. In this case nothing was being asked in the way of help, so why not just keep your help to yourself if you don't understand what's even being discussed?
Dj Shamann 8:15 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
In my circles you will be ridiculed for even considering a production status X.0 version. X.1 is approached with caution. Anybody who has a slight clue about software development life cycle would understand what DJ Shamann is talking about. The least you can do is atleast pay attention to the welcome screen and the caveats serato put on it then use your better judgement. Alpha, beta, rc1,rc2, rcX should not be treated so seriously period.

Thank you.
DJ Easy Eddie 8:21 PM - 27 July, 2011
To know how good you are at something requires the same skills as it does to be good at that thing, which means that if youre absolutely hopeless at something you lack exactly the skills that you need to know that you are absolutely hopeless at it. This is a profound discovery…. that most people that have no idea what they are doing, have absolutely no idea that they have no idea what they are doing.

Not sure but I think its by John Cleese
Dj Shamann 8:23 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
To know how good you are at something requires the same skills as it does to be good at that thing, which means that if youre absolutely hopeless at something you lack exactly the skills that you need to know that you are absolutely hopeless at it. This is a profound discovery…. that most people that have no idea what they are doing, have absolutely no idea that they have no idea what they are doing.

Not sure but I think its by John Cleese

LOL Nice.
DJdaveZ 8:46 PM - 27 July, 2011
READ THE DISCUSSION... ITS ALL HERE.
blackavenger 5:41 PM - 28 July, 2011
Quote:

AGREED!