DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Great Techno Songs ...

musiclee 9:05 PM - 19 August, 2007
hi, i have a wedding to dj this weekend

bride/groom have asked for just a few techno songs
techno is not my "forte"

can you guys tell me the must have techno songs,
which are the most popular and that would go well in a wedding atmosphere? (artist/songname)

much appreciated...
Sheeds 9:06 PM - 19 August, 2007
I walked by that little "bay" thing in Newport and there was this event and all I heard was the cheesy stuff, like Satisfaction, that one theme song for 6 flags magic mountain (i think it's venga boys) and One More Time

it was funny
dj shadow from detroit 9:28 PM - 19 August, 2007
model 500------no ufo's

it's juan atkin's
Konix 9:35 PM - 19 August, 2007
I'm sure they don't mean "real" techno, they probably want some cheese top 40 house/dance stuff. So look into..

Darude - Sandstorm (Watchyoutube.com)
Dirty Vegas - Days Go By ( Watchyoutube.com )
Ivan Van Dahl - Castles In the Sky (Watchyoutube.com)
DJ Sammy - Heaven (Watchyoutube.com)
Daniel Bedingfield - Gotta get though this (Watchyoutube.com)
Daft Punk - One More Time ( Watchyoutube.com )
Basement Jaxx - Where's Your Head At (Watchyoutube.com)

and not cheese but works well at weddings

Jaydee - Plastic Dreams (classic House track, has it's own hustle dance also) (Watchyoutube.com)
Konix 9:37 PM - 19 August, 2007
And if you haven't figured it out I put youtube links so you can hear the songs.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:15 PM - 19 August, 2007
Itunes released a "Itunes Essentials" comp of Detroit Techno a while back. This would be a good starting point:

phobos.apple.com

(But I am biased, many of these guys are my friends).

Also check the Techno iTunes essentials:

phobos.apple.com
nobspangle 10:17 PM - 19 August, 2007
If they want real techno, I would suggest

Rhythim is Rhythim - Strings of life
Inner City - Good life
Octave one - blackwater
Aztec Mystic - Knights of the Jaguar
Zombie Nation - Kernkraft 400 (Dave Clarke Remix)
Underworld - Push Upstairs

I can't imagine any real techno working too well at a wedding unless people were really into it.
Crickett 11:33 PM - 19 August, 2007
The only track mentioned above that would be "TRUE" techno would be Kernkraft 400.

Remember...Most Techno was produced 88 to 94 ..Everything after that became Euro at least here in chicago..
Around 94 the tracks became softer and had alot of vocals.

These tracks still play out here.
Chicagoans love their house!!

House of God-DHS
Magic Feet-Mike Dunn
Phreak-Accelerate
Tetris-Alex Roscov
Speed-Speedy J
Elevator-Zip 1
KaGeN 11:50 PM - 19 August, 2007
the average person off the street asking fro "techno" is looking for the over played bullshit and haven't got a clue of what they actually just said.
smutek 12:17 AM - 20 August, 2007
Speaking of over played bullshit you'll have to pick up a copy of "The launch" by Dj Jean. Any of that cheesy UK hard House that was all the rage about ten years ago should do wonders as well.

If you want a hard as nails dark as the night techno track, and you never want to be refered for another wedding again, pick up "Point Blank" by Gaiden (Steve Stoll & Patrick Codenys of Front 242) - guaranteed to clear pretty much any dance floor.

Play it right after the chicken dance!

:-P
Serato
dave 2:04 AM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
Itunes released a "Itunes Essentials" comp of Detroit Techno a while back. This would be a good starting point:

phobos.apple.com

Nice. How long have you been DJing for?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:11 AM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

phobos.apple.com

Nice. How long have you been DJing for?

I am one of the old geezers on the forum, I started in 1982, learned how to spin from Juan Atkins & Derrick May, worked as Promo director from Kevin Saunderson's KMS records, Eddie Fowlkes was my roommate for a while, and the list goes on...
Serato
dave 4:07 AM - 20 August, 2007
Cool as, do you still work in the record industry?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:26 AM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
Cool as, do you still work in the record industry?

Nope, just DJ at a small Bar now and work with a few other DJ's and Party Promoters on some events here in detroit. After Techno kinda went to europe and Dance music went Trance I switched to R&B and Rap.

I got a job with Luke Records (yep 2 Live Crew) as the Midwest Street Promotions rep before he went bankrupt (mid 90's) and that kinda broke my spirit for continuing in the Music Industry. You think Luke was hard on his booty shaker dancers, the fucking street team was his real BITCHES. I had 7 states I had to cover literally by myself. It was a very tough job, I think I worked it for about 8 months BUT I learned more in those 8 months about how the music industry really works and it wasn't a good look (but I would do it again in a heartbeat back then).

This was right before the big Clear Channel radio mergers so and the consolidation of many of the major labels so I am glad I got out when I did. In House Promotion and Street Teams were becoming like buggy whips since corporate radio became king. I would have been low on the totem pole. High level people that had been in the industry for 10 years or more lost their jobs.

Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread - just reflecting.

back to the techno...
DJ_CARY 5:10 AM - 20 August, 2007
Being a techno head for years.......
A must have on ur crates, The Classics......ALWAYS

Jeff Mills - The bells
Ken Ishi - Extra
Jack De Marseille - kalymba
Carl craig - Jam The box
Sender Berlin - Tragerfrequenz
Pacou - Mr Snow at the bar
Fumiya Tanaka - One Sparkle
Surgeon & James Ruskin - Sound Pressure (part 2)
Dave ANgel - Funk Music
And So Fort......

Nice tunes Nobspangle & Crickett!!! That's TECHNO

Techno has to be hard Pounding beats and flowing...not cheeseey!

Just my .02 cents
The E Head 8:19 AM - 20 August, 2007
Some of the tracks that have been metioned ain't even close to techno! I use to spin at a techno club before it went under believe me if i played sandstorm or zombie nation i would be leaving the club in an ambulance!

Can't see it going well at a wedding but REAL techno

green velvet - detination unknown
green velvet - flash
dj rush - motherfucking bass
placebo - every you and every me (Schanz Remix)

and pretty much anything else by umek, richie hawtin, luke slater, jeff mills and so on
deepdjdanny 10:41 AM - 20 August, 2007
^yep. real tech right there.
Dj BuddyLove 3:24 PM - 20 August, 2007
The E Head 4:44 PM - 20 August, 2007
^^^just had a look at that site although i would agree that most of its correct

1997 - Pretty Green Eyes - Force & Styles

That ain't techno, it ain't even close. That is UK happy hardcore nothign else! Theres alot more to by looking at it will post another update soon:)
The E Head 4:46 PM - 20 August, 2007
whooooooooopssssssss

cause of the title of this thread i just assumed they were meant to be techno tracks, discard my last post
nobspangle 4:57 PM - 20 August, 2007
Please note I specified the Dave Clarke remix of Kernkraft 400 which is most certainly a techno track. Just because you wouldn't get away with playing a certain track in a certain club it doesn't mean it's not a techno track.
An example,
In Morley, UK there used to be a club night called Orbit, it was a serious full on techno night, Ruskin, Umek, Carola, Sims, Beyer were all regulars. If someone had turned up and dropped Kernkraft 400 there (even Dave Clarke) I think the crowd would have been a bit pissed off, bottles may even have been thrown.
In Birmingham, UK, there is a night call Atomic Jam, once again this is a full on techno night with similar DJs playing, however dropping kernkraft 400 there would have bought the house down.

The point of this thread was Techno tracks you could play at a wedding. That means you're going to be looking at the commercial soft side of techno or the cheesey stuff with big synth lines.
blackavenger 5:21 PM - 20 August, 2007
Musiclee doesn't want "real" techno.........he wants electronica & the commercial house type shizz. I know, I'm from a town where House, Breaks, DnB, Trance, Hardcore, and (the real) Techno are all considered Techno. When you try to explain to the clueless that those are all genres within EDM or Underground Dance Music, they look at you like your the fool.

Just do a search for Electro-House or Electro-Clash. Those 2 sub-genres have so much cheese, you're bound to find some shizz that will get mainstream appeal.

Here are some names:

Iio
Moby
Dirty South
Tommy Sunshine
Starkillers
David Guetta
Eric Prydz
Felix Da Housecat

that should be a decent start.

Quote:

Have any of you ever heard the Danny McMillan remix of Strings? It kicks the original so hard....I mean I like the original, but his breaks remix is tits.
nobspangle 6:01 PM - 20 August, 2007
I don't think any remix can touch the original of strings of life. The way the whole track was put together gives it such a strange feel, the way the piano riff sounds slightly out of time and the strings a bit out of tune just add to the effect. The track is twenty years old and it still sounds completely original and current.

In the UK people who don't know about EDM will call anything hard, techno, all the other stuff mentioned in this thread would just be called dance. So I guess what we're looking for is generic dance music. In that case checkout some of the Ministry of Sound or Cream compilations.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:23 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:

Quote:

Have any of you ever heard the Danny McMillan remix of Strings? It kicks the original so hard....I mean I like the original, but his breaks remix is tits.

Yep, don't have it but I have heard it played (never knew who made it and whenever I asked for Strings Remix at record stores - always out of stock). Even Derrick May who "made" Strings even kicks that version from time to time, AND his protege' Carl Craig seems to always play that version (or a special edit of it in Abelton.

Anyone know if it is on Beatport?
Detroitbootybass 6:50 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:

Ask them for a few examples of what kind of 'techno' them want to be played. If you can get a couple of artists/tracks, then the community here can help compile similar sounds for you.
KaGeN 7:10 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Ask them for a few examples of what kind of 'techno' them want to be played. If you can get a couple of artists/tracks, then the community here can help compile similar sounds for you.

these are the same sort of people that you can convince they need to check the muffler bearings and blinker fluid on their car.
Serato
dave 9:54 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
You think Luke was hard on his booty shaker dancers, the fucking street team was his real BITCHES.

Ha!

Quote:
Anyway, sorry to hijack the thread - just reflecting.

back to the techno...

Yeah.. back to techno.
smutek 10:06 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
I don't think any remix can touch the original of strings of life.

Yep, I haven't heard this remix, and I'm sure it's a bomb, but the original will always be the original. A classic.

Anyway, I posted this here a while back, but for those who might have missed it, Jeff Mills gettin wicked:

Watchwww.youtube.com
blackavenger 10:40 PM - 20 August, 2007
Quote:
Yep, don't have it but I have heard it played (never knew who made it and whenever I asked for Strings Remix at record stores - always out of stock). Even Derrick May who "made" Strings even kicks that version from time to time, AND his protege' Carl Craig seems to always play that version (or a special edit of it in Abelton.

Anyone know if it is on Beatport?

Naa, I don't believe it is. Shack (Elite Force) was the one who told me who made the remix. He also told me that there were only 2,000 whites pressed. I've got a "digital" copy though.

I guess try HTFR or EBay.
Detroitbootybass 11:11 PM - 20 August, 2007
Just throwing out a few high-end Techno cuts that haven't already been mentioned:

Underground Resistance - 'Jupiter Jazz' and 'Hi-Tech Jazz'

Rhythim Is Rhythim - 'Nude Photo'

808 State - 'Pacific State'

Cybotron - 'Cosmic Cars'

Paperclip People - 'Throw'

G-Man - 'Quo Vardis'

Kirk Degiorgio presents Esoterik - 'Starwaves'

Fade To Black - 'In Synch'

Teknotika - 'Tiger Trance'

Model 500 - 'Starlight'

Dave Angel - 'Arabian Nights'
allstarchris 11:20 PM - 20 August, 2007
Not sure if you would class it as techno but these are good non the less:

LFO - 'Track 4' - Warp
Tuff Little Unit - 'Join The Future' - Warp

Can both be bought at www.bleep.com
dj shadow from detroit 12:14 AM - 21 August, 2007
wow fade to black!!!
i like this track alot!!!
freshtodeath 12:25 AM - 21 August, 2007
Not really techno I guess

anyone know the title to the song that goes

"WE DONT NEED NO EDUCATION..........."
DJ_Motion 12:30 AM - 21 August, 2007
eric prydz - proper education
DJ_Mike_Coquilla 12:38 AM - 21 August, 2007
'Mortal Kombat' by Sub-Zero or that reptile spitting guy.
Konix 12:41 AM - 21 August, 2007
Quote:
anyone know the title to the song that goes

"WE DONT NEED NO EDUCATION..........."

Quote:
eric prydz - proper education

Who sampled the lyrics from the classic Pink Floyd song.
Serato
dave 12:51 AM - 21 August, 2007
Quote:
Model 500 - 'Starlight'

Anyone got the remixes? I should get off my butt and track it down, I can't wait to hear the convextion remix.
Detroitbootybass 4:12 AM - 21 August, 2007
Quote:
wow fade to black!!!
i like this track alot!!!

Jay Denham is the man...
Detroitbootybass 4:14 AM - 21 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Model 500 - 'Starlight'

Anyone got the remixes? I should get off my butt and track it down, I can't wait to hear the convextion remix.

Didn't even know that there were remixes, Dave... now you piqued my interest!
dj bedtime 12:37 AM - 22 August, 2007
Maaann-- you want techno... try droppin some

dyewitness "observing the earth" or NRG "he never lost his hardcore" or Human resource "dominator"

That wedding would flip out ( and you would probably not get booked again-lol) but atleast you can say that you dropped techno!
Detroitbootybass 4:57 AM - 22 August, 2007
Quote:

dyewitness "observing the earth" or NRG "he never lost his hardcore" or Human resource "dominator"

That wedding would flip out ( and you would probably not get booked again-lol) but atleast you can say that you dropped techno!

...except for the fact that none of that is techno.
The E Head 7:47 AM - 22 August, 2007
Quote:

dyewitness "observing the earth" = gabber / hardcore

Human resource "dominator" = gabber / hardcore / oldskool (depending on mix)

i will let you away with NRG since there is loads of mixes and some could be precieved as techno

This thread is pure quality, its became apparent most of you have no idea what techno really is, infact i would go as far to say that most of you would class any kind of EDM as techno

@nobspangle

You mention playing zombie nation in the UK well i am in scotalnd and belive me any techno club i have either played at or been to there is no way they would have played zombie nation, that is cheesy commercial crap!

I mean its realesed on MOS sublabel Data, never heard of them realasing techno and not to mention when it was released it was getting hammered on daytime radio 1, that tune will never be REAL techno!
nobspangle 8:27 AM - 22 August, 2007
E Head, have you heard of Atomic Jam, used to be at the Que club in Birmingham? It was a massive techno night.
When Zombie Nation was originally released it wasn't on MOS and it was a weird Electro record. Dave Clarke started playing it out and he made a techno remix. The track that was hammered on radio one was the DJ Guis remix was a sort of euro trance effort. I am talking about the Dave Clarke Remix and only the Dave Clarke remix. Also you probably wouldn't get away with playing it now but before it was released, when you heard it in clubs there was a massive buzz people wanting to know what it was.

Techno's biggest downfall is that "Techno heads" want to pigeon hole the entire genre into a BPM range and 4 to the floor kicks. They want to be alternative and underground so anything popular can't be techno. If people were ready to admit that stuff like Leftfield, Underworld and Daft Punk were techno they might find more people turning up to clubs that played techno (the more underground parts) and liking it.
The E Head 9:13 AM - 22 August, 2007
I see where you coming from and i aint trying to argue just friendly debate, makes a good change from all the hiphop debates eh!

Leftfield and underworld techno = hell yeah, i would agree there

Daft punk = fuck no, although after there homework lp i thought they went right down hill so haven't listen to all there realses since. What tracks of theres would you class as techno? i'm gonna have to hunt them down and have a listen.

Just so you know i have zomienation on vinyl and the pressing i got was a £3 number from HMV on Ministys Data label which does include the dave clarke mix
nobspangle 10:38 AM - 22 August, 2007
The Dave Clarke remix was only released on that MOS label. I had to battle with my conscience to buy it for that reason ;)

On the daft punk stuff, I would class most of Homework as techno. All that Thomas Bangalter stuff on Roulé even the really housey stuff still has an underlying techno feel. Don't get me wrong, if we go back to the what can be played in a techno club definition of techno, Daft Punk is going to be more at home in a house club and it would stick out somewhat if surgeon suddenly dropped Da Funk in between La Real and Magneze, but when you listen to it you can hear that it comes from a techno root. It's the way some of the tracks are just a few basic kick drums and hi-hats but still sound totally funky.

Discovery is not as cleanly rooted in techno but there are still a few tracks on there Superheroes is the one that springs to mind.

I always think there is some stuff that is very clearly techno, Mr. Sliff - Rippin & Dippin, and some stuff that clearly isn't techno, Darude - Sandstorm, but there is always that grey area, Donna Summer - I feel love, obviously it's a disco track but you listen to that loop and you can hear techno. I have at least 5 techno tracks that sample that loop.
mobius909 2:02 PM - 22 August, 2007
Quote:
Being a techno head for years.......
A must have on ur crates, The Classics......ALWAYS

Jeff Mills - The bells
Ken Ishi - Extra
Jack De Marseille - kalymba
Carl craig - Jam The box
Sender Berlin - Tragerfrequenz
Pacou - Mr Snow at the bar
Fumiya Tanaka - One Sparkle
Surgeon & James Ruskin - Sound Pressure (part 2)
Dave ANgel - Funk Music
And So Fort......

Nice tunes Nobspangle & Crickett!!! That's TECHNO

Techno has to be hard Pounding beats and flowing...not cheeseey!

Just my .02 cents

now THESE are techno songs
mobius909 2:05 PM - 22 August, 2007
that being said... i'd definitely re-ask her to qualify what she thinks techno is.
digital_steve 1:09 AM - 24 August, 2007
Lea Klus - Deep Damage 2 - trapez
Plastikman - Spastik - novamute/minus/plus 8
2 Dollar Egg - Graphit - klang
DJ AM 1:38 AM - 24 August, 2007
Kevin Scott... Will you get in here already?
dirtbag filthy 1:59 AM - 24 August, 2007
thanks for the jeff mills vid

he is awesome i saw him back in the day at limelight in nyc
OakLawnDJ 2:40 AM - 24 August, 2007
Lots of good suggestions so far... since it used to be my specialty, I'll add a few... (youtube links are just so you can hear them... I didn't try to find the best quality or any actual music videos, just whatever video had the song)

Derb - Derb
Watchyoutube.com

Jonah - Ssshhhh... Be Quiet (Listen)
Watchyoutube.com

Aquagen - Why Are You So Quiet?
Watchyoutube.com

D-Devils - 6th Gate
Watchyoutube.com

D-Devils - Sex, Drugs, & House (mixes great with 6th Gate)
Watchyoutube.com

The Porn Kings - Up To No Good
Watchyoutube.com

DJ Supreme & The Porn Kings - Up To The Wildstyle
Watchyoutube.com

SM-Trax - Got The Groove
Watchyoutube.com

SM-Trax - At The Club

Club Robbers - Honey Ride This

If I think of any more, I'll post them, but that's all I got at the moment.
DJ_CARY 2:46 AM - 24 August, 2007
Hmmmmm I DONT THINK That's TECHNO IMO.
Better Check again.

-Cary
OakLawnDJ 2:50 AM - 24 August, 2007
Quote:
Better Check again.

-Cary

If that's in response to my post, I'd point out that many of the tracks are found on CDs such as the "Radikal Techno" series. For that matter, I'd question if your opinion of "what techno is" is accurate.
OakLawnDJ 3:04 AM - 24 August, 2007
Also, if Kernkraft 400 is Techno, then so are those as they all have the same ingredients.
DJ_CARY 3:46 AM - 24 August, 2007
OaklandDJ: YES that is my opinion.

If i sell u a cd of Jay-z and Call the cd "Smooth R&B". Would u agree that's a smooth R&B cd?
So, for a CD called "Radikal Techno" is real techno? I DONT THINK SO.

Listen to the track. Don't believe the HYPE

It's just my $0.02
Detroitbootybass 6:57 PM - 25 August, 2007
OakLawnDJ - Those tracks in question aren't even remotely 'Techno'... sorry.
Maskrider 11:06 PM - 25 August, 2007
Quote:
Lots of good suggestions so far... since it used to be my specialty, I'll add a few... (youtube links are just so you can hear them... I didn't try to find the best quality or any actual music videos, just whatever video had the song)

Derb - Derb
Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

D-Devils - 6th Gate
Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

SM-Trax - Got The Groove
Watchyoutube.com

SM-Trax - At The Club

If I think of any more, I'll post them, but that's all I got at the moment.

I won't consider this as Techno
Maskrider 11:11 PM - 25 August, 2007
I might consider this as Cheese Music.
Maskrider 11:16 PM - 25 August, 2007
OaklawnDj This is For you www.di.fm
blackavenger 9:44 AM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Better Check again.

-Cary

If that's in response to my post, I'd point out that many of the tracks are found on CDs such as the "Radikal Techno" series. For that matter, I'd question if your opinion of "what techno is" is accurate.

This is a prime example of the point I was trying to make.

Quote:
I'm from a town where House, Breaks, DnB, Trance, Hardcore, and (the real) Techno are all considered Techno. When you try to explain to the clueless that those are all genres within EDM or Underground Dance Music, they look at you like you're the fool.

And this one:

Quote:
If i sell u a cd of Jay-z and Call the cd "Smooth R&B". Would u agree that's a smooth R&B cd?
So, for a CD called "Radikal Techno" is real techno? I DONT THINK SO.
morten_fresh 3:11 PM - 26 August, 2007
The only real answer to the original question would be to ask what is meant by techno. Maybe ask for a few example titles.

It's just hillarious to read how everyone seems to know the true definition of techno.
Back in the late 80's you only had a handful of genre labels. You had techno, house hip hop, soul and a couple more. Everything could easily fit these labels. Today, thanks to the UK, every little change in style has to have it's own label. Like, oh i made this cool house track that has a weird click in it........hey wait a minute, how about we call it click-house. wouldn't that be great. It's become so confusing that you have genre labels that could mean to different things. Who remebers progressive house as it sounded in the early 90's like stuff from guerilla records, tomato etc. That's progressive house to me, but today most people know progressive house as that awfull e-poppin-nyc-junior-vasquez-i'll suck-sachas-cock boring type of house.
Techno has become an archetype term like car or dog. It doesn't really say that much except maybe that were talking about electronic music of some sorts. Just like saying "I have a dog" doesn't really say much about the dog.

Gabber is techno, hardcore is techno, trance is techno, minimal is techno.

And yes, all that hiddious euro dance shit like sandtorm etc is also techno. It sucks and is awfull techno, just like trabant is an awfull car. And I can't believe how the people making it has not moved beyond the off-bass pattern. It's been 10 years. Enough already!!!

My 2 Cents.
The E Head 4:16 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
Derb - Derb
Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

D-Devils - 6th Gate
Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

Watchyoutube.com

SM-Trax - Got The Groove
Watchyoutube.com

SM-Trax - At The Club

Not even close to techno!

Quote:
Gabber is techno

Wrong. Gabber is known as Gabber or Hardcore not Techno

Quote:
hardcore is techno

Wrong. Hardcore can be known as many thing, Gabber, UK upfront, Happy Hardcore (HHC), etc. But not Techno.

Quote:
trance is techno

Wrong. Thats so wrong i don't even know where to start trying to explain why

Quote:
minimal is techno

Half right you do get minamilistic techno

Quote:
I might consider this as Cheese Music.

+1

This thread has been highly amusing for me! I really think some of you need to keep you advice to subjects you know about ie. if you hiphop dj dont answer an edm question unless you know cause some of the replies here are just sooooooooooooo wrong

I do agree that brider and groom probably dont want REAL techno there but he asked us to tell him techno, until he can talk with them again i don't think anyone should be presuming that she doesn't want techno and wants ....... instead

Just my 0.02 cent
morten_fresh 6:18 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:

Wrong. Gabber is known as Gabber or Hardcore not Techno

Quote:

Wrong. Hardcore can be known as many thing, Gabber, UK upfront, Happy Hardcore (HHC), etc. But not Techno.

Did you even get my point with the UK being the cause of this evil genre labelling madness???

Quote:
Quote:
trance is techno

Wrong. Thats so wrong i don't even know where to start trying to explain why

Ok, since you're so much in the know about genre definitions then please tell me where to put D-Shakes - YaaaaH or where should i put John Selway -Highrise. Trance or Techno? Or perhaps trancy techno.

Quote:

This thread has been highly amusing for me! I really think some of you need to keep you advice to subjects you know about ie. if you hiphop dj dont answer an edm question unless you know cause some of the replies here are just sooooooooooooo wrong

Again it would appear that god passed the definition of techno on to you, for you to preach. And only you. Come on man. Climb down from your tower. All i was saying was that techno is such a wide term that anything even remotely techno can fit within it. If not, then tell me how inner city's. big fun, a track that's hardly techno can be found on a compilation from 88 called Techno! The new dance sound of detroit.

Or perhaps ask Mad Mike how he defines techno. Theres a techno godfather with a definition you might not like.

I love techno but I'm not claiming that what I define as techno is the only true definition of the term.
dirtbag filthy 6:51 PM - 26 August, 2007
i cant believe people still listen to hardcore ....thought that shit died in the early 90's

we used to spin hardcore in the engine room in the tunnel nyc

crazy times
Beanfish 7:54 PM - 26 August, 2007
lol @ the ridiculous techno snobbery. Yes some of those tracks aren't even close but no need to get so excited about it.

Techno is such a broad genre from downtempo stuff for home listening to stuff fast enough to give you a nosebleed. Doesn't even have to be 4/4 IMO. There's plenty of grey area at the edges as well.

I'll also swap my left bollock for that Danny Mcmillian remix if anyone's interested.
Detroitbootybass 8:53 PM - 26 August, 2007
Techno is Detroit's own regional dance sound... just as House is Chicago's own regional sound.
DJ_CARY 9:44 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
Techno is Detroit's own regional dance sound... just as House is Chicago's own regional sound.

I AGREE!!!!
Very MUCH!!!!!!!
WORD!!!!!
TOTOO ITO!!!
DPR250R 10:09 PM - 26 August, 2007
Tiesto is Techno's shining star
DJ_CARY 10:18 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
Tiesto is Trance's shining star
Oak D 10:32 PM - 26 August, 2007
Go listen to "The SPace DJz" Ben Long and Jaime Bissmire
These 2 are so friggin dope.

www.spacedjz.com

Watchyoutube.com
Watchyoutube.com
DPR250R 10:33 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Rotchie Hawtin is Trance's shining star
DPR250R 10:33 PM - 26 August, 2007
Ritchie*
Oak D 10:42 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:

www.spacedjz.com

Watchyoutube.com
Watchyoutube.com

They also have live mixes in their download section. Not too many big EDM djs like to allow live mixes out. These guys kill it everytime. Hip hop fused with techno.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:05 PM - 26 August, 2007
Quote:

All i was saying was that techno is such a wide term that anything even remotely techno can fit within it. If not, then tell me how inner city's. big fun, a track that's hardly techno can be found on a compilation from 88 called Techno! The new dance sound of detroit.

I love techno but I'm not claiming that what I define as techno is the only true definition of the term.

LOL. That whole Techno album and the "concept" of Techno was built around that ONE song. Kool Kat/Network (Neil rushton) who wanted the song for Europe felt it would be a killer hit and Kevin Saunderson along with Juan and Derrick wanted it to be labeled Techno to help build the identity of THEIR music. Most of the other cuts were "throw away tracks".

www.discogs.com

Also there is a Mayday re-edit on the original KMS version of Big Fun by Mayday that puts it close to Techno.

www.discogs.com
bourbonstmc 3:23 AM - 27 August, 2007
This is a great thread on some many levels. To the original poster, I'd DEFINITELY ask for examples of what the bride & groom consider Techno, as you can see opinions vary widely. Without further input I'd guess they want what many of the purists here have called cheese and/or insisted isn't Techno; i.e. Sandstorm, Heaven, Zombie Nation, The Launch, etc. Let me also add: "Better Off Alone" by Alice Deejay, and "Feels So Good" by Sonique.

As to where the the thread has wandered, I agree with the poster who said "Techno" is an umbrella term that is inclusive of House, Trance, Euro, Breakbeat, DnB, and many other genres. To me, 90's Euro and Rave are now bona fide retro genres in their own right; but it's simply playing word games to say they aren't Techno. To the Detroit purists who insist that Techno only means stuff like Clear or Good Life, and the UK purists who think it is only more underground, harder stuff: thanks for an interesting discussion, but you might wanna loosen up a little.
DPR250R 3:46 AM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
thanks for an interesting discussion, but you might wanna loosen up a little.

Couldn't agree more...
DJ Greg J 10:23 PM - 27 August, 2007
no, that's not technically techno, you're technically wrong about the technicalities of real techno, you un-techno knowing doo-doo face .. I am much smarter and more l33t tHaN yOu.

Techno rules all of the seven seas.
nobspangle 10:27 PM - 27 August, 2007
Quote:
no, that's not technically techno, you're technically wrong about the technicalities of real techno, you un-techno knowing doo-doo face .. I am much smarter and more l33t tHaN yOu.

Techno rules all of the seven seas.

clearly someone who knows what they're talking about.
DPR250R 11:42 PM - 27 August, 2007
To think... I was just about to make a "Techno" mix...

Now I don't know what to call it.. lol
The E Head 6:51 AM - 28 August, 2007
If your using most the tracks in this thread then my suggestion would be call the mix "60 mins of pure commerical cheese that some uneductaed people might percieve as techno although in realilaty it doesn't come close"

Got a nice ring to it wouldn't you agree?
nobspangle 6:54 AM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
If your using most the tracks in this thread then my suggestion would be call the mix "60 mins of pure commerical cheese that some uneductaed people might percieve as techno although in realilaty it doesn't come close"

Or you could call it "Now that's what I call Dance 53"
morten_fresh 11:49 AM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:

I would in fact agree on calling it cheese but the fact that you still need to call the rest of us uneducated just because we don't subscribe to your silly "one-techno-to-rule-them all" philosophy just makes you seem all the more misguided.
The E Head 12:37 PM - 28 August, 2007
^^^away back in to the corner you just craweled out of!

Fisrt off i never called no one personnally uneducated! I made a general statement about this thread, however that said if you believe Sandstorm etc to be techno you are uneducated in Techno but and heres the big BUT thats not an insult is it?

"one-techno-to-rule-them all" i have never said that, what i did say was your wrong! There is many sub-genre of techno but what i pointed out was when you stated trance is techno emmmm sorry tracne is tracne, gabber is techno, i mean come on son do you even know what gabber is?

I didn't want to start no arguement i just pointed out you and some others were wrong, someone asked for advice here so i tried to point him in the right direction!

If you not man enough to admit you made a mistake then thats up to you but don't start bitching cause i answered the mans question correctly!

Probably best thing you can do now is get your "sandstorm" and your "Ssshhhh... Be Quiet (Listen)" on the 1's and 2's, get the strobe lights out and get the snap sticks (light sticks) close you bedroom door turn the light of and kid on your at the best underground techno club in the world! Cause that will be the only techno club you can play that shit!
morten_fresh 1:55 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
^^^away back in to the corner you just craweled out of!

Fisrt off i never called no one personnally uneducated! I made a general statement about this thread, however that said if you believe Sandstorm etc to be techno you are uneducated in Techno but and heres the big BUT thats not an insult is it?

"one-techno-to-rule-them all" i have never said that, what i did say was your wrong! There is many sub-genre of techno but what i pointed out was when you stated trance is techno emmmm sorry tracne is tracne, gabber is techno, i mean come on son do you even know what gabber is?

I didn't want to start no arguement i just pointed out you and some others were wrong, someone asked for advice here so i tried to point him in the right direction!

If you not man enough to admit you made a mistake then thats up to you but don't start bitching cause i answered the mans question correctly!

Probably best thing you can do now is get your "sandstorm" and your "Ssshhhh... Be Quiet (Listen)" on the 1's and 2's, get the strobe lights out and get the snap sticks (light sticks) close you bedroom door turn the light of and kid on your at the best underground techno club in the world! Cause that will be the only techno club you can play that shit!

No, you didn't get personal, you just managed to wrap everyone not agreeing with you in to the same uneducated group.
And YES, I find your arrogance extremely insulting.
Shit, I'm agreeing with you on the fact that sandstorm sucks and represents some of the misfortunate spin-off from what you might think is the only real techno. None the less, as something derived from techno you simply can't deny that on some level it IS techno. And then it doesn't matter how high you scored in techno 101.

To quote your excellent answer to the original question you say that anything from Mills and Umek is techno. If you're not capable of seeing how ridiculess that sounds then you're the uneducated one. Sure, Jeff Mills is from Detroit but that sure as shit doesn't not make his entire catalog Techno.

Just because you don't agree with me, it doesn't by default make you the educated one.

Now please.....Stop pretending to know the only true definition of techno, no one probably does.
The E Head 2:26 PM - 28 August, 2007
hahahahaha it took me a bit but i think i know now!

your DJJOHNNYM? cause thats the only other sucker i have saw argue so much when he is quite clearly WRONG

last time i will say it
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS SANDSTORM TECHNO

Quote:
To quote your excellent answer to the original question you say that anything from Mills and Umek is techno. If you're not capable of seeing how ridiculess that sounds then you're the uneducated one. Sure, Jeff Mills is from Detroit but that sure as shit doesn't not make his entire catalog Techno.

ermmmm

Quote:
and pretty much anything else by umek, richie hawtin, luke slater, jeff mills and so on

I can see from your profile your from Denmark, therefore as theres a good chance english is not your native language i will explain...........................

pretty much anything = most but not all

Now if i had just said anything then you would be right but as it stands again your wrong (ain't really your thread is it:P worng, wrong, wrong)

Also i have never stated i know the true definition of techno i just know the difference between trance, hardcore and techno which is quite apparent you do not!

Rather than bitch at me when quite clearly your talking shit maybe you should spend some time listening to different genres of music

heres anothor couple of pounding techno tracks you could spin when doing that greta gig mentioned before

darude - feel the beat
storm - time to burn
tom craft - lonliness

Hit me up on the PM if you need more, i am more than happy to help:)
The E Head 2:28 PM - 28 August, 2007
morten_fresh and remember everry days a school day

hahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahha
DPR250R 2:34 PM - 28 August, 2007
Is this necessary guys?

To be honest its nice to see some posters on here passionate about techno (instead of house, trance, hip-hop) but you guys are starting to get personal and there is no need for it.

Settle it with a mix or track list.... but don't cut each other up.
The E Head 4:25 PM - 28 August, 2007
TBH i don't really like techno no more well not as much as i use to! Probably prefer to play Gabber now:)

I ain't trying to come across as a prick but the OG poster asked for help in finding techno tracks, now if someone asks for help and i can help i will! I actually thought i was being helpful telling him that certain tracks wasn't techno!

OK i am kinda cheeky in the last couple of posts but prior to him spitting his dummy out of his pram i was pleasnt in responding!

Infact i just read thru this thread Tiesto is technos shining star! Wow keep up the good work you could be playing at the same gig as morten_fresh

and on a lighter note

Quote:
i cant believe people still listen to hardcore ....thought that shit died in the early 90's

we used to spin hardcore in the engine room in the tunnel nyc

crazy times

I use to listen to hardcore when i was growing up about 1992-1996 ish and a few years after that it kind of died a bit in the UK, however here since around 2000 the scence has been picking up again (i don't like the crap no more but it pays:)) and now there having large events quite often (Hardcore till i die - site.htid.co.uk) most clubs here i know that have an under 18's the music policy would be hardcore!
DPR250R 4:33 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:

Infact i just read thru this thread Tiesto is technos shining star! Wow keep up the good work you could be playing at the same gig as morten_fresh

Umm.. that was a joke that nobody got... read my next post a couple clicks down. I was trying to lighten up the conversation...

You don't remember when you and I were talking about "Classic Rave" music?

And you stated that all the tracks that I posted were not "Rave" music that they were "Techno" tracks???

Then I had to explain to you that at "Raves" in the the northeast US during the mid 90's "Techno" is what was played (along with other genres)???

I am well aware of what "Techno" is a you have explained it... as well as the way others have.
The E Head 5:30 PM - 28 August, 2007
i smoke way to much weed to remember what actually happened in real life let alone what happened on a forum days/weeks/months ago

can you tell me what genre would you class sandstorm as?
DPR250R 6:02 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
i smoke way to much weed to remember what actually happened in real life let alone what happened on a forum days/weeks/months ago

can you tell me what genre would you class sandstorm as?

Me personally?

I would break it down like this...

It does fall under the "Electronic Music" umbrella

Not Techno....

Not House....

Possibly Trance (sorry if I just pissed off a lot of Trance guys)

I would also label it under "Pop" or "Euro Pop"... (personally)

But the thing is when you are playing to some of these Top 40 crowds and they ask for "Techno". When someone in this crowd asks me for "Techno" I know they do not mean REAL "Techno" they mean any song that was on a popular radio station for a while in the 130BPM range with lyrics.

Now if I am playing to a crowd that has some knowledge about Electronic Music and they ask me for Techno... its a totally different game.

Most people in my area want to hear Electro and Garage (Soulful) House...no Techno :(
DeezNotes 6:22 PM - 28 August, 2007
And this is why some of us Hip Hop DJs don't understand the difference in the many genres of music [WE] call house/EDM. I know it's not all house, but damn... even you guys can't come to a common ground on what's what.
DPR250R 6:25 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
And this is why some of us Hip Hop DJs don't understand the difference in the many genres of music [WE] call house/EDM. I know it's not all house, but damn... even you guys can't come to a common ground on what's what.

Sad but true...

After a while you will easily be able to break down House, Trance and Techno.... then comes the sub-genres... we can argue for pages... lol
Maskrider 6:52 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

Sad but true...

After a while you will easily be able to break down House, Trance and Techno.... then comes the sub-genres... we can argue for pages... lol

I guess that's the fun of it.
dj_soo 6:58 PM - 28 August, 2007
morten_fresh 7:11 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
hahahahaha it took me a bit but i think i know now!

your DJJOHNNYM? cause thats the only other sucker i have saw argue so much when he is quite clearly WRONG

last time i will say it
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IS SANDSTORM TECHNO

Quote:

ermmmm

Quote:

I can see from your profile your from Denmark, therefore as theres a good chance english is not your native language i will explain...........................

pretty much anything = most but not all

Now if i had just said anything then you would be right but as it stands again your wrong (ain't really your thread is it:P worng, wrong, wrong)

Also i have never stated i know the true definition of techno i just know the difference between trance, hardcore and techno which is quite apparent you do not!

Rather than bitch at me when quite clearly your talking shit maybe you should spend some time listening to different genres of music

heres anothor couple of pounding techno tracks you could spin when doing that greta gig mentioned before

darude - feel the beat
storm - time to burn
tom craft - lonliness

Hit me up on the PM if you need more, i am more than happy to help:)

Look, the main point of my first post was to say that techno is such a broad term that a lot of sub genres will fit. You were the one claiming knowledge and turning down my examples as pure nonsense.
Fair enough, you don't agree but just because you threaten to say this only one more time or typing in bold does not make you more right.
I will gladly repeat my self once again. Sandstorm sucks but it is still, in my opinion some form of techno. No matter how bold you write that I'm wrong. Saying that it's not would be like saying that hip hop is not related jazz.

I really dont' care if you agree or not. What ticked me was the fact that you just rejected my opinion as being wrong based on the fact that YOU know what techno is. And based on what??

Let's leave it at that. We're probably not going to agree.
aLiEn 9:27 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
I'm sure they don't mean "real" techno, they probably want some cheese top 40 house/dance stuff.

Exactly! Anyone that even requests "techno" obviously doesn't have a freaking clue...

Google up wedding play lists/songs and you'll find all the macaroni & cheese you need =)
mobius909 9:54 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
Saying that it's not would be like saying that hip hop is not related jazz.

By that same token, jazz purists would never say that hip hop is jazz. Just because they are related by bpm does not mean that one is catagorized under the other. I agree with the above that say they are related under the "electronica" umbrella.. ella... ella. Techno has by default (because it was one of the first types) become the generic term for the unknowledgable media, but is in no way the blanket statement for all electronic dance music.

Some is harder to catagorize because of origin (Dave Clarke or Underworld for example). Also, because different djs play tracks in different sets, things get miscatagorized. Bad boy bill plays tracks that tiesto plays, however, some would classify a track in hard house by one playlist and trance by another. Labeling can also be confused regionally.

Bottom line is... trance is NOT techno. House is not techno. Drum and bass is not techno... that's why they call them by their sub-genres. it's all electronica. (hate that term btw)
DPR250R 11:05 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:
it's all electronica. (hate that term btw)

Me too.... that is why I call it "Electronic Music"

The term (electronica) was supposed to have come about in the late 90's as a way to label and market The Crystal Method, Fatboy Slim, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy... and all the other "Big Beat" acts when they were in the mainstream spotlight for awhile. Read that on Discogs... forgot the posters to give proper credit though...

Even today when you buy music there is a genre still labeled "Electronica" which never made sense to me.... because to me it is such a broad term.
Dj BuddyLove 11:14 PM - 28 August, 2007
the proper term for it is:::::> edm or electronic dance music

"period"
Oak D 11:47 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:

www.spacedjz.com

Watchyoutube.com
Watchyoutube.com
DPR250R 11:53 PM - 28 August, 2007
Quote:

"period"

You dance to Ambient tracks?
Dj BuddyLove 11:57 PM - 28 August, 2007
yep sometimes..lol j/k
digital_steve 1:31 AM - 29 August, 2007
Quote:

"period"

the proper term is 'music'
dj bedtime 1:51 AM - 29 August, 2007
Well seeing as how I kinda started all this shit with my "lack" of proper knowledge about "true" techno vs. gabber vs. hardcore vs. blah blah blah-- can I say one thing???

can we all just shut the fuck up about what "real" techno is.

(besides- we all know real techno is stuff like I mentioned earlier)
DPR250R 2:40 AM - 29 August, 2007
Quote:
Well seeing as how I kinda started all this shit with my "lack" of proper knowledge about "true" techno vs. gabber vs. hardcore vs. blah blah blah-- can I say one thing???

can we all just shut the fuck up about what "real" techno is.

No it isn't.
Yes it is.
No it isn't.
Yes it is.
NO.....IT ISN'T
YES... IT IS!!!!

DON'T MAKE ME KICK YOUR ASS!!!

Figured I would save us some time.
mobius909 4:34 PM - 30 August, 2007
Quote:

you deserve a throat punch for that.
Serato
dave 7:55 PM - 30 August, 2007
Remember in the late 90s when every sports show used to play 2 Unlimited and AB Logic? In NZ we called that "Rugby Techno".
DPR250R 11:19 PM - 30 August, 2007
They still play "Twilight Zone" and I think its a song by Zombie Nation at a lot of sporting events in the US. Its pretty annoying when someone that isn't really into Electronic Music turns to me and says..

"This is the stuff your into... right?"

I had started to date this girl that was really into R&B and Hip-Hop when that "Crazy Frog" song came out. I remember talking to her one day and she says...

"Oh... there is this new song they are playing on the radio.. I think you'll like it. Its got a frog in it or something."

It took me over a year to get her to realize the difference between "Pop-Tech" and "Real-Tech" if you get what I mean.
The E Head 6:54 AM - 31 August, 2007
Quote:
They still play "Twilight Zone" and I think its a song by Zombie Nation at a lot of sporting events in the US. Its pretty annoying when someone that isn't really into Electronic Music turns to me and says..

"This is the stuff your into... right?"

I had started to date this girl that was really into R&B and Hip-Hop when that "Crazy Frog" song came out. I remember talking to her one day and she says...

"Oh... there is this new song they are playing on the radio.. I think you'll like it. Its got a frog in it or something."

It took me over a year to get her to realize the difference between "Pop-Tech" and "Real-Tech" if you get what I mean.

Zombie nation track is called Kernkraft 400 www.discogs.com
And i'd assume the twilight zone your talking about is done by 2 unlimited www.discogs.com
phaeton 11:19 AM - 31 August, 2007
Does anyone know the song that sampled ice t...i am a nightmare walking....i am a nightmare walking......
DPR250R 2:53 PM - 31 August, 2007
Quote:

Zombie nation track is called Kernkraft 400 www.discogs.com
And i'd assume the twilight zone your talking about is done by 2 unlimited www.discogs.com

This track to me is "Techno"...

You can tear me up if you like (with sub-genres and such) but this is the sound I grew up on. When someone that knows whats up says "Play some Techno" tracks like this are what come to mind.

mp3.juno.co.uk
DPR250R 2:54 PM - 31 August, 2007
Not Zombie Nation or 2 Unlimited... the tack linked at the bottom of my post.
smutek 4:51 AM - 2 September, 2007
morten_fresh, what (I think) you might be missing is that there is a sub-genre of electronic dance music that is specifically called techno. For techno heads, with techno refering to this specific genre, it can be extremely annoying when people lump everything from NIN to Darude to Tiesticle straight through to C&C music factory into the techno label.

There is nothing worse than to tell someone I spin techno and have them say, "oh techno, you mean like trance right?"

I don't think anyone needs to get ignorant with you, but try to undestand that while some people might feel fine calling everything that uses a drum machine and a synth line "techno" that's simply not the case, particularly to the people who live, eat, shit and breathe techno music.
J-Grr 8:24 AM - 2 September, 2007
i cant believe no ones mentioned omnibus yet. im POSITIVE you guys have heard it before...i dont listen to techno often but that song has many a great memories attached to it.
kevinscott 1:55 PM - 3 September, 2007
Quote:
Does anyone know the song that sampled ice t...i am a nightmare walking....i am a nightmare walking......

Kid Unknown "Nightmare"... CLASSIC TECHNO from 92.
Detroitbootybass 10:46 PM - 3 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

That's one of the early jungle tunes, not techno.
kevinscott 7:25 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's one of the early jungle tunes, not techno.

ummmm, no. its clearly techno, perhaps you are thinking of another song that sampled ice-t.
nobspangle 7:45 PM - 5 September, 2007
Quote:

This track is definitely not jungle. In the UK we would probably call it Rave, old skool or Hardcore. I think The E Head would be upset if you called it techno but I see where you're coming from.

Cool track though, for anyone who wants a listen => Watchwww.youtube.com
digital_steve 1:02 AM - 6 September, 2007
Big beat maybe?
DPR250R 1:12 AM - 6 September, 2007
Quote:
Quote:

In the UK we would probably call it Rave, old skool or Hardcore. I think The E Head would be upset if you called it techno but I see where you're coming from.

Cool track though, for anyone who wants a listen => Watchwww.youtube.com

Yep... and Yep...

After talking about this I have a better idea of what you UK guys consider "Rave" and "Old School". I will try to keep this in mind when labeling tracks.

I always considered this stuff "Breaks" or "Breakbeat"... even back in the early 90's...
sopranosupasta 2:22 AM - 6 September, 2007
anything from Xmix.

(I am biased though cause I play for Xmix)