Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

How to use MIDI controller with SP6 sampler in 2.0 beta?

soundbiter 8:38 AM - 18 July, 2011
I have an Akai LPD8. I know Scratch Live users can use this to control the SP6 sample player. How do i do this in the ITCH 2.0 beta?

Thanks
soundbiter 8:48 AM - 18 July, 2011
So the only useful feature added to ITCH 2.0 was the SP6 player and you can't even use a midi controller with it?

Lol, worth the wait of YEARS for 2.0 just for day and night modes? Ohh a skin, I can see why this took so long! Thanks Serato!

Sellin the NS7 for sure now, peace ITCH users.
Kmxorbit 9:05 AM - 18 July, 2011
I agree that it is a bit strange you can't control the SP6 via hardware but via Keyboard only.
But Itch 2.0 beta is now there to make the total new designed engine stable with some very nice features.
(I personally love the smart crates)

I also believe serato will soon announce controlling possibilities for the SP6 sampler. they will not make a mistake like that. in fact, they will be forced to make it Midi mappable if they don't want to loose the race against the competitors.
soundbiter 9:12 AM - 18 July, 2011
Feels! I REALLY hope they don't make it a special controller that ITCH users have to pay for (i.e. the $300 VFX-1 when it came out new), since those are WAY overpriced for midi controllers.

For any further replies, I'm not trying to start a rant thread. It's just been too long with ITCH being barebones, and now the beta doesn't even seem promising. Best of luck to everyone here, on to Traktor full time for me.
Kmxorbit 9:13 AM - 18 July, 2011
Quote:
Best of luck to everyone here, on to Traktor full time for me.

OK. Respect.
Paco71 9:49 AM - 18 July, 2011
Ok Respect too..

By the way the change of itch today is more inside (the engine) than outside (the whistles and bells).

The outside will come later..
djcerla 9:50 AM - 18 July, 2011
MIDI control is coming, so relax ;)
Paco71 9:51 AM - 18 July, 2011
I think too ;)
haze324 1:14 PM - 18 July, 2011
also...

...there's more than just the SP6 to 2.0

but agree. Midi is needed for it to really kick some ass. I'm with these guys. It's coming sooner than later. So will video, so will the bridge, so will more updates. This is the first big hurdle.
zanzibar1 3:42 PM - 18 July, 2011
Still... if I have to buy another overpriced midi controller it will leave a really bad taste in my mouth. IT WOULD BE LIKE SERATO FARTED IN MY MOUTH!!!!

Serato, please don't fart in our mouths... let us pick our own midi controllers and not be forced to buy from the giant corporations you promised millions of dollars to if they made and sold Itch controllers.

Thanks x
djcerla 3:54 PM - 18 July, 2011
are you joking?

Of course it will be MIDI... you can already use MIDI if you're smart.
diezdiaz 3:58 PM - 18 July, 2011
hey man i think i know the solution - flood the board with obnoxious demands in all caps and multiple exclamation marks to end all my sentences. its just the proper way to let those FUCKERS AT SERATO I KNOW I MEAN BUSINESS WHEN I SAY I WAAANNNTTTT IIIITTT NOOOOOWWWWW.

lol shut the fuck up and be patient, its not even finalized yet
zanzibar1 5:29 PM - 18 July, 2011
@cerla

Seriously cerla?! I thought ud recognize me on these forums by now! Of course I'm joking! And yes I understand that itch uses midi. I would just like to know if its gonna be another nsfx deal or a "buy whatever controller you want" deal.

I know I can get bomes to use now. But unlike some people I'd rather be patient and wait for serato to recommend a way to use the sp6, which is why I am putting this question out there.

I wasn't asking for anything now. I was putting the question out there and hoping I'd get some helpfull info.

But as usuall, those who do know can't say and those who don't know are just being ass faces about it like dickydiaz.
diezdiaz 5:34 PM - 18 July, 2011
Dude I am loving that nickname
djcerla 5:34 PM - 18 July, 2011
Quote:
@cerla

Seriously cerla?!

No man but I have to feed the trollfest somehow, things are rolling out pretty slowly this time ;)
djcerla 5:36 PM - 18 July, 2011
Uh wrong post... I'm just back from the gym and I have no blood left for brain operation :)

BTW don't worry, a bird told me it's coming!
DJ Frank Labate 10:28 PM - 18 July, 2011
I'm a click away from buying the Korg NanoPad and using Bome's Midi Translator to work convert to keystrokes and work w/ Itch can anyone tell me if switching the scenes on the nanoPad will allow me to use one mode for cues, another for samples and another for loops and something else possibly?
DjBrianDowling 11:06 PM - 18 July, 2011
I don't want to wake the house up by trying out itch 2.0, so could someone tell me how the samples are triggered, is it like using the number keys on the keyboard or?
djcerla 11:21 PM - 18 July, 2011
Quote:
I don't want to wake the house up by trying out itch 2.0, so could someone tell me how the samples are triggered, is it like using the number keys on the keyboard or?

what about reading the manual? serato.com
MusicDan 11:33 PM - 18 July, 2011
Quote:
Uh wrong post... I'm just back from the gym and I have no blood left for brain operation :)

BTW don't worry, a bird told me it's coming!

2.1 is what my my birdie told me...
DjBrianDowling 1:17 AM - 19 July, 2011
Thanks for the link for the manual but u really didn't need to be so sarcastic
DJ MDX 2:39 AM - 19 July, 2011
The SP6 Sampler is awesome and I love the layout in the way I have it with four decks on the Xone:DX

When Midi-Mapping becomes available it's gonna be awesomer....lol...I just had to say that...
DJ.CISCO-V 10:17 AM - 9 August, 2011
I can't deal with using the keyboard and mouse to control the sp6, It sucks using it like that! They should just allow an external midi controller or just take off the sp6. Are they doing it just to sell another special controller for the sp6 now? Just like the vfx-1. If they do, I don't think anybody should buy it.
djcerla 10:28 AM - 9 August, 2011
Quote:
I can't deal with using the keyboard and mouse to control the sp6, It sucks using it like that! They should just allow an external midi controller or just take off the sp6. Are they doing it just to sell another special controller for the sp6 now? Just like the vfx-1. If they do, I don't think anybody should buy it.

I thought at this point everyone was fully aware tat MIDI is coming.
maart 10:31 AM - 17 August, 2011
I used auto mapping for my novation Launchpad and it can launch and stop all 6 sp6 players. But for changing volume, mode etc. the original code or keyboard shortcuts should be created
DJ_Ian_ S 5:09 AM - 11 October, 2011
I'll just wait until 2.1. :3
JR BiAS 6:37 AM - 11 October, 2011
There is a real simple solution to this, No not flood the site with demanda, the solution is to download a midi to keystroke translator, what this does is change your midi note tht the conroler outputs to keystrokes, I have done this and it works.....this will allow you to use any midi contrler you want to control the SP6.
dj-freestyle 3:59 PM - 11 October, 2011
Good article on www.skratchworx.com , explains it all
Mr. Goodkat 2:06 AM - 12 October, 2011
z thru n on your keyboard
DJMOrTone 11:38 AM - 19 November, 2011
Has a serato rep validated the addition of midi mapping for the sp6... I really doubt this will happen. Why would serato open it up to midi mapping when they can just let another company create a custom... and expensive itch add on like nsfx...

looks like zanzibar1 is dead on...

Newmark SP6 sampler for Itch
www.skratchworx.com

Its sexy as hell but I am sure it's not gonna be cheap :(
DJMOrTone 11:51 AM - 19 November, 2011
Is there a cheaper (free) way to translate midi to keystrokes on a mac?
DJTLINK 5:12 PM - 20 December, 2011
Someone was able to do it.....check it out
Watchwww.youtube.com
BKDJ 7:27 PM - 14 April, 2012
This is how I got my LPD8 to work, there's a link to the download below the video. You can't use the knobs, but at least you can you the pads for samples, cues, playback, loops, etc.... All you gotta do is run this, make sure lpd8 or other midi device is plugged in, select it from the dropdown menu, mouseclick the button you wanna program then hit whichever button you want on your midi controller and BAM, you're in business. Make sure that you mouseclick OFF the button you just programmed, unless you want it to control multiple functions. Save/export file for later use, and keep the program running in the background while in itch and it should work:)
youtu.be
MrRad08 2:35 AM - 4 September, 2012
I love the people that assume Serato will be releasing a controller for a function like this soon. It's almost as safe to assume that The Bridge is going to be released on time too
haze324 3:04 PM - 4 September, 2012
Quote:
I love the people that assume Serato will be releasing a controller for a function like this soon. It's almost as safe to assume that The Bridge is going to be released on time too

Numark had one on display at last years winter NAMM I beleive. Not sure why it was never released.
dj-freestyle 3:55 PM - 4 September, 2012
Ya numark had a controller for itch that has never come out but unless they update effects in itch kinda usless anyway. I refuse to really use itch on big gigs until they add echo out and those effects.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:49 AM - 6 September, 2012
Yep a year ago at the BPM SHOW in England Numark had an Sp6 controller for itch and scratchlive but has never been released. No idea why.
bluefoot 10:30 AM - 8 September, 2012
didnt read this whole thread but do you lot know about MITCH?

serato.com

I've had it working well on Itch 2.1.0, I made a very basic midi map for an lpd 8 which allows me to trigger 16 samples (4 on each of 4 banks as that is how many pads the lpd has, MITCH has options for more if you have a bigger controller).

PLUS: the bloke who is developing it keeps his eye on the thread for bugs etc.
Nephew#1 12:01 PM - 10 September, 2012
what about the Numark NSP6?
Numark X7 same shit

what's the next stap of hardware they don't bring out
BKDJ 4:30 AM - 14 November, 2012
I guess they just decided "fuck you, get the new Serato DJ, but we don't support your NS6 til the spring"
radikarl 7:16 PM - 14 November, 2012
That "Numark NSP6" was not more than an AKAI LPD 8 in a different case.
Akai Professional and Numark are both brands of the same company:
www.inmusicbrands.com

Look at the pictures. Its the same thing.

"NSP6": dj-lab.de
Akai LPD8: www.session.de

Even the USB is on the wrong side, and one of the Bank select buttons has a different color.

I doubt it was ever more than a prototype / wishful thinking from Numark. So i wouldn't wait for it ;-)

By the way, you can map all of this in Serato DJ yourself now.
Support for the Numark NS6 is coming early next year.