DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Serato is now 2nd string in my backpack

brkdncr 3:59 AM - 13 July, 2011
A few weeks back I popped for the Traktor 2 software upgrade and started playing with it. I'm now hooked. Previously, Traktor was my backup in case something wasn't working right with my SL1 (which, between the intel USB controller compatibility issue and problems getting SSL to start if I had the SL1 plugged in beofre starting the software, was not irregular).

While I'll be suffering with the way Traktor manages songs (which is poorly if you didn't know already -- Crates and Smart Crates are amazing), it seems that Native Instruments has added function, feature, and flexability while SSL has somewhat floundered, only adding Abelton Bridge of recent.

SSL will still be in my backpack to every gig, but won't be making any appearances unless Serato performs some magic or I fuck up my Traktor setup.
ta2423 6:33 AM - 13 July, 2011
"fp"
al83 8:39 AM - 13 July, 2011
the only reason why i'm not using traktor is because of the extremely poor and basic song management, an area at which ssl is light years ahead, and an area that is far more important that gimmicky fx or a louder box (for me). exactly what other features do you need that ssl doesn't have? i mean features that will make you put up with traktors hideous library management?
dj pesh 10:22 AM - 13 July, 2011
@brkdncr

Good on you man, hope Traktor 2 works well for you, keep posting on how you are finding it. There was a point where i was thinking of buying Traktor 2 but Scratch Live is for me, I play videos for 7 hours straight and i find scratch live reliable (on my MBP), and the serato support very helpful.
DJDaveOtt 10:27 AM - 13 July, 2011
Quote:
@brkdncr

Good on you man, hope Traktor 2 works well for you, keep posting on how you are finding it. There was a point where i was thinking of buying Traktor 2 but Scratch Live is for me, I play videos for 7 hours straight and i find scratch live reliable (on my MBP), and the serato support very helpful.

+1
Nicky Blunt 10:46 AM - 13 July, 2011
Yah, I have to say the customer support here is the best of any company Ive ever dealt with!
DJ GOOK 1:14 PM - 13 July, 2011
how much was the upgrade? I am asuming that you paid for a update
brkdncr 2:44 AM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
how much was the upgrade? I am asuming that you paid for a update

$70 or $80.

Yeah, I gave up software/music pirating years ago.
brkdncr 2:49 AM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
@brkdncr

While I haven't used the video plugin, I can totally see where that feature is much better than anything else out there.

I have some video mixing software that can also do music videos, but I can't imagine it's nearly as close to what SSL can do in regards to music. I've never tried the VirtualDJ version.
djpuma_gemini 2:59 AM - 14 July, 2011
does traktor play video?
djpuma_gemini 2:59 AM - 14 July, 2011
does it use ME?
brkdncr 6:11 AM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
the only reason why i'm not using traktor is because of the extremely poor and basic song management, an area at which ssl is light years ahead, and an area that is far more important that gimmicky fx or a louder box (for me). exactly what other features do you need that ssl doesn't have? i mean features that will make you put up with traktors hideous library management?

i agree, the library management of traktor is behind SSL. Crates and Smart Crates are amazing. While FX can be a gimmick when overused, SSL has the same FX. Two major issues is MIDI and hardware. SSL has very little support for hardware, instead you're supposed to be using an itch controller. Traktor seems to have support for most everything under the sun, and has a rather complex MIDI control setup page that allows nearly any device to work. SSL/Itch - not so much. This allows the DJ/musician to use different interfaces that allow them to express themselves in a

I've had problems with SSL as of late. A while back my laptop was hit with water. I received a different model laptop under warranty. This newer laptop had the i5 chipset. There is incompatibility between the i5/i7 chipset and the SL1. While I won't point fingers, Serato didn't provide a fix or a work-around for me, nor did they confirm as to what the problem actually was. Instead I was told that the problem was with how I installed the software before the drivers or had the SL1 box plugged in before the software. OK, whatever. This was all done on the forums, which as a technically minded person I was able to do, but you can see the frustration others are going through. I ended up fixing the problem on my own by buying an expresscard that used it's own USB controller. Even after this was done, SSL would regularly not start if i had the SL1 plugged in before i started the software. It would hang and would not let me kill the process at all. Newly installed software shouldn't do that. Since SSL locks you to it's sound card, you can't easily jump to some other equipment, effectively leaving you stuck buying an SL2 or SL3 with compatible USB2.0 USB interface. It's left a bad taste in my mouth, and while Traktor may also have it's own support/problems, I haven't found them yet. So far, that's better than Serato.
brkdncr 6:12 AM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
does traktor play video?

Not to my knowledge. I find playing music videos a huge gimmick. Most of the music i play doesn't have a music video to go with it anyways. For video, I use a dedicated (albeit cheap) video mixing interface/software.
brkdncr 6:12 AM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
does it use ME?

?
deezlee 6:21 AM - 14 July, 2011
did you tell them it was water ? (just wondering)
al83 8:18 AM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

i agree, the library management of traktor is behind SSL. Crates and Smart Crates are amazing. While FX can be a gimmick when overused, SSL has the same FX. Two major issues is MIDI and hardware. SSL has very little support for hardware, instead you're supposed to be using an itch controller. Traktor seems to have support for most everything under the sun, and has a rather complex MIDI control setup page that allows nearly any device to work. SSL/Itch - not so much. This allows the DJ/musician to use different interfaces that allow them to express themselves in a

I've had problems with SSL as of late. A while back my laptop was hit with water. I received a different model laptop under warranty. This newer laptop had the i5 chipset. There is incompatibility between the i5/i7 chipset and the SL1. While I won't point fingers, Serato didn't provide a fix or a work-around for me, nor did they confirm as to what the problem actually was. Instead I was told that the problem was with how I installed the software before the drivers or had the SL1 box plugged in before the software. OK, whatever. This was all done on the forums, which as a technically minded person I was able to do, but you can see the frustration others are going through. I ended up fixing the problem on my own by buying an expresscard that used it's own USB controller. Even after this was done, SSL would regularly not start if i had the SL1 plugged in before i started the software. It would hang and would not let me kill the process at all. Newly installed software shouldn't do that. Since SSL locks you to it's sound card, you can't easily jump to some other equipment, effectively leaving you stuck buying an SL2 or SL3 with compatible USB2.0 USB interface. It's left a bad taste in my mouth, and while Traktor may also have it's own support/problems, I haven't found them yet. So far, that's better than Serato.

if you were on sl1 and don't want to buy an sl3/sl2 then traktor is definitely the way forward. i would put up with the awful library management for the infinitely better sound you get out of the traktor box (compared to sl1).
echa1945mf 10:48 AM - 14 July, 2011
i have traktor 2 and audio 8 as back up, its a great and fun piece of software i gotta admit , but my heart just sold on SL , i sometimes use traktor for long sunset session where i play from afternoon to sundown , with just and audio8 and an X1 , but for club rockin , i still trust my SL
brkdncr 10:49 AM - 14 July, 2011
i do like the option of switching between VIrtualDJ and Traktor and not needing to buy additional equipment. In fact, the SL1 can work in ASIO mode for both. This is where Traktor accels...they are open to using any other equipment, including direct competition. With SSL, using their audio interface should give you better support since they don't need to troubleshoot everyone's equipment, except when they cut corners with their own equipment (using USB 1.1 instead of 2.0 on the SL1) it comes back to bite the user as hardware changes.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:15 PM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
does it use ME?

?

it dosent, traktor hasent opened its interface up to the ME developers
djpuma_gemini 2:37 PM - 14 July, 2011
or maybe ME isn't allowed to go to traktor.

no video no use for me.
DJ DisGrace 3:17 PM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:

conspiracy?
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:17 PM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

conspiracy?

the ME developer has stated that the reason ME dosent work on traktor is because tracktor hasnt opened up the code to all ME to develop for it
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:19 PM - 14 July, 2011
www.inklen.com

Quote:

MixEmergency Feedback: So.....traktor support?Bottom of Page
1 to 6 of 6

CommentAuthorskinnyguy CommentTimeApr 8th 2011

Not like I'm gonna switch anytime soon.....but.....any possibilities? Just a "what if" that popped in my head....

CommentAuthorNick CommentTimeApr 9th 2011

We would need Traktor to open up some sort of outward communication of certain info from the program to do this. As far as I'm aware this is not possible right now.

CommentAuthordjClint CommentTimeApr 9th 2011
hopefully it will not happen..lol

CommentAuthordjSketch CommentTimeApr 12th 2011
i second this option, NI please, lol

CommentAuthorskinnyguy CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

so does this mean that Serato Itch is closed too?

CommentAuthorNick CommentTimeApr 12th 2011

Yeah, all I can really tell you is that we're only able to support Scratch Live at the moment.

1 to 6 of 6

DJ DisGrace 3:31 PM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

conspiracy?

the ME developer has stated that the reason ME dosent work on traktor is because tracktor hasnt opened up the code to all ME to develop for it

Or is ME the new unofficial official VSL?

skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:33 PM - 14 July, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

conspiracy?

Or is ME the new unofficial official VSL?

skepticalteacher.files.wordpress.com

(psss ....it pretty much is lol)
KMadison 4:31 PM - 14 July, 2011
I'm about to buy the Traktor Audio 6 for the same reason, every so often I do small parties and it makes no sense for me to drag my turntables to it and Serato honestly has weak support for midi controllers.

Sigh I'm not giving up on Serato I will use it at all my large events/clubs but the little stuff or the corporate things traktor seems to fit the sweet spot. I still hate the layout of the Traktor software i swear it was beat with a ugly stick but it kills in features.
Nicky Blunt 1:55 PM - 16 July, 2011
features that allow u to be ""MORE CREATIVE""?

LULZ Im sure if ur an edm dj thats fine. But what about the turntablist? Tracktor is pretty shitty for that or so I hear!
haze324 4:29 PM - 16 July, 2011
Quote:
I'm about to buy the Traktor Audio 6 for the same reason, every so often I do small parties and it makes no sense for me to drag my turntables to it and Serato honestly has weak support for midi controllers.

Sigh I'm not giving up on Serato I will use it at all my large events/clubs but the little stuff or the corporate things traktor seems to fit the sweet spot. I still hate the layout of the Traktor software i swear it was beat with a ugly stick but it kills in features.

Small parties = VCI-300 for me. I think when Itch 2.0 hits there won't be as big of a gap between SSL and Itch. I used Traktor for a long time and always was fond of SSL and Itch, and it sucked to used different softwares with different libraries, cue points, etc. Using Itch and SSL has made it a breeze. Don't sleep on 2.0
brkdncr 9:29 PM - 17 July, 2011
Quote:
features that allow u to be ""MORE CREATIVE""?

LULZ Im sure if ur an edm dj thats fine. But what about the turntablist? Tracktor is pretty shitty for that or so I hear!

You haven't tried it so I suppose you don't know if it's better or not.
Nicky Blunt 11:21 AM - 18 July, 2011
But i can read. Reviews from dj's who will be using the system in simular fashion to myself