Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

.mp4 files always importing at startup as if I never imported them

Product
Scratch Live
Version
Hardware
Rane TTM 57SL
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
The Right One 5:42 PM - 24 June, 2011
Product: scratchlive
Version: 2.2
Hardware: rane-ttm57sl
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.7
---

About 50 to 100 of my .mp4 files always load at start up as if I'm importing them for the first time. However they have been imported weeks or months ago. & I have them sorted in to crates. They are always remain in the create that I sorted them in, But this slows down the startup time of my SSL big time. & the really bad thing is that I do all my sorting on a "Date Imported" bases. So every-time I restart my SSL, it thinks I just imported these 50 to 100 songs today right now & labels it Imported today. This is no good. How do I fix this issue. Im worried because the list of .mp4 that this happens to is growing. & if it gets to be 3 or 400, then I will have to boot my SSL 2 hours before my gigs, because damn it takes awhile to Import all them .mp4s....
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:02 PM - 24 June, 2011
As a test, please revert to the 2.1.1 version of SSL and then retest :)

The 2.1.1 version of SSL can be found here -->> serato.com <<-- Software Download Archive.

If the problem continues, please answer the following question:

Are you using an external hard drive to store music?

Thanks!
The Right One 5:44 AM - 27 June, 2011
I am getting the same issue with version 2.1.1 (21122). I am using a MacBook Pro & all off my data is on the internal hard drive. I only use externals for back up. But I do NOT have them attached when mixing.. To add to this. I have 2 friends that are having the same exact issue. All MacBook Pro's, But 3 different models. Mine is a 2010. 1 is 2009 version & 1 is a 2008 model with the silver keys. We are all using version 2.2.0, except for this trial test. Let me know if there is anything else you would like me to try.

Thank You
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:48 PM - 27 June, 2011
Thanks for trying the 2.1.1 version of SSL.

Are you importing music and videos into SSL from iTunes, using the "Read iTunes Library" feature?

If so, please try this:

Open Scratch Live

Make a new crate and call it ALL iTunes

Select all the songs and videos listed within the iTunes library (listed within your crates sidebar) and add them to the ALL iTunes crate.

Allow Scratch Live to scan, load and add the information to the ALL iTunes crate.

After everything is added, drag and drop the ALL iTunes crate onto the Rescan ID3 tags button and allow the process to finish.

You may want to play or analyze the files that continue to have missing track info.

Once finished, close SSL, restart and retest.

Any luck?
The Right One 6:40 PM - 27 June, 2011
Ok, I'm not using iTunes, I never have used iTunes crates or even import from iTunes. I'm not a fan of iTunes, so I have always just sorted my music in Serato SSL, directly. I keep that button uncheck. However I still went ahead & dragged all of the problem'd Video files into a new crate & Dragged it onto the rescan ID3 tag button. After, I shut down SSL & then re-booted the program, with the same issue. One thing I now know, is that its reloading 87 .mp4 files everytime I launch SSL. I checked the # in the new crate.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:43 PM - 27 June, 2011
Please pick one of those problem videos and upload to this thread so I can test it on a few machines here in the office.

Thanks!
7:44 PM, 27 Jun 2011
The Right One attached a file: LMFAO - Shots (ft Lil Jon) CLN [CLUB READY].mp4
Download· Permalink
8:03 PM, 27 Jun 2011
The Right One attached a file: The Rej3ctz - Cat Daddy DIRTY [CLUB READY] HD 720.mp4
Download· Permalink
8:04 PM, 27 Jun 2011
The Right One attached a file: Wynter Gordon - Dirty Talk [prd by David Guetta] CLN #+++++DON\'T PLAY.mp4
Download· Permalink
The Right One 8:06 PM - 27 June, 2011
I attach a few videos that don't work correctly.... Every time I Launch SSL. It re-imports these vids & makes the "added" tab, the date & time I launched SSL...
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:35 PM - 27 June, 2011
Thanks for the test videos, I'm downloading now :)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 9:53 PM - 27 June, 2011
Your video files look OK. None are set to read only or unable to store internal metadata.

Try this:

Keep SSL closed.

Open your user Music folder

Open the _Serato_ folder

Rename the databaseV2 file to OLD_databaseV2

Next, open the _Serato_backup folder

Use the keyboard shortcut Command C and copy the databaseV2 file

Back out of the _Serato_backup folder

Hold Command V and click on the _Serato_ folder and choose 'Paste Item' to paste the databaseV2 file into the _Serato_ folder

Restart SSL

Any better?
The Right One 10:50 PM - 27 June, 2011
OK, I tried that, & now things are really getting weird. The first time I restarted after tryng this. It only loaded. 16 videos, instead of 87. So it looked as if it fixed something, but then I shutdown & re-launched SSL, & it loaded 28 videos as brand new. So I shut down again & relaunched & now it re-installed 79 vids. & many of them are the same videos that have been giving me this issue. I'm sure I'll get back to 87 soon enough...
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:20 PM - 27 June, 2011
Open the Files panel and click the Rescan ID3 tags button, this will force SSL to scan all your files and should bring all 87 videos back into the library.

Are those particular videos in a crate? I ask because perhaps the crate file is damaged and causing the issue.

If you delete one of those videos, does it come back on its own accord next time SSL is restarted?
The Right One 12:18 AM - 28 June, 2011
There is no particular order of events. I have tried to find a pattern. Some vids are in 1 crate, some are in another, some are only in all. Some of the videos I use as overdubs attached to MP3s & some are complete .mp4 videos. If they are in a crate, they always stay in that crate. This is what is odd to me. Its as if SSL knows the video is there, but does not know its there. I have never had this issue with any other file type. ONLY .mp4s I have not wanted to try deleting, them because many of these Vids are in multiply crates & some are associated with mp3. So once I delete them I have to resort them all over again. But I will try that to 1 or 2 & see if it fixes this issue. Give me a few..
The Right One 12:28 AM - 28 June, 2011
Ok, I tried it with 3 videos. I deleted all 3 vids from "ALL" shut down & then restarted SSL. With out even dragging the videos back into SSL, they automatically were back in ALL, But had been deleted from the crates they had been in. With that said. It only fixed one of the 3. I even tried deleting the other 2 again. Same issue, no fix...
The Right One 3:59 AM - 28 June, 2011
OK, even the 1 video that was fixed, Is now back to the same error again. Importing on startup. So for some reason that only temporarily fixed it.

I'm assuming you can't duplicate this issue on your end. The easiest way to see it is to have your "all" on the "added" tab, with the most resent videos, at the top. Check the date & time at startup, then shut down & restart. on my end the Time will always say the time the SSL was launched, But all my other files will say the real Date & Time that I imported them. Including most of my mp4s. Just these particular mp4s are an issue. & evey now & then I load a new mp4, that starts doing the same thing.

I was also wondering if its something that gets written to the Tag of the mp4? Cause I did notice, that the track # on many of these files, does not appear in SSL. Even tho it appears in iTunes. Maybe SSL is having a hard time reading or writing to particular mp4 files. Not sure

But wile I'm at that, why can't U change the Track # in SSL? Its the only program I have, that I can tag with, that does not allow me to change the track #. Sometimes I change it manually. Its only a hex value. Just was wondering if there was a reason for this? That is often the only reason I use iTunes.

anyway, my real concern is this boot up issue. I appreciate your help & I really hope U can fix this issue...

Thank U
Rane, Support
Shaun W 6:30 PM - 28 June, 2011
This issue may be iTunes related, but if you're not using the "Read iTunes Library" option within SSL, I not sure how iTunes could affect Scratch Live.

Let's try completely rebuilding the Scratch Live databaseV2 file. Please follow the instructions found here -->> serato.com <<-- Creating A New Database V2 File
The Right One 3:26 AM - 29 June, 2011
I did this & it still did not fix the issue. The same .mp4 files continue to do the same thing. Now my enter library says 1 time & date. & the 87 mp4 files say a different time. This is wild!!!
Rane, Support
Shaun W 4:42 PM - 29 June, 2011
Please upload to this thread a copy of your _Serato_ folder and I'll try to reproduce problem on my machine. My guess is that there is something tweaked within the _Serato_ folder.
8:57 PM, 7 Jul 2011
The Right One attached a file: IMG_1244.MOV
Download· Permalink
The Right One 9:06 PM - 7 July, 2011
Hey Sorry, I've been extremely busy, I was hoping this would be an easy fix. I posted a Video I took from my iPhone, that will show you what's happening on my SSL. In the video you see the Time on my Mac & how when I start up SSL it scans the .mp4 files & make the time added the as the start time. I did this process twice so you can clearly see that I did not add any new videos. I'm not sure if seeing this will help, But again, I'm not the only person with this issue, although it does seem to be effecting me the most, as in number of videos its affecting, My friends are getting around 8 to 10, where I'm having this happen with 80 + videos. Never the less, there is an issue here & none of the proposed fixes, seemed to help my problem. I'm really hoping you can identify the issue & resolve it in a future version of SSL.

Thank You for your help, I do appreciate you working with me to try an resolve this issue.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:08 PM - 7 July, 2011
Let's try reverting to a _Serato_ (or ScratchLIVE) backup folder

Keep Scratch Live closed

Open Finder by clicking on the double face icon found in the Dock at the bottom of your screen

Go into your home Music folder

Locate and rename the _Serato_ (or ScratchLIVE) folder to OLD_Serato_ (or OLD_ScratchLIVE)

Locate and rename the _Serato_backup (or ScratchLIVE_backup) by taking off the _backup so that it reads _Serato_ (or ScratchLIVE)

If using an external drive, open the external locate and rename the _Serato_ (or ScratchLIVE) folder to OLD_Serato_ (or OLD_ScratchLIVE)

Locate and rename the _Serato_backup (or ScratchLIVE_backup) by taking off the _backup so that it reads _Serato_ (or ScratchLIVE)

Restart SSL

Any luck?
The Right One 10:21 PM - 8 July, 2011
just tried that, Still the same issue....
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:26 PM - 8 July, 2011
Please upload to this thread a copy of your _Serato_ folder and I'll try to reproduce problem on my machine. My guess is that there is something tweaked within the _Serato_ folder.
The Right One 6:22 PM - 21 July, 2011
OK, I found out something that might help wile testing a few things. First let me explain how I have my files setup. I have to Folders on my HD. One called "AUDIO" & one called "VIDEO". I store all my audio & video in the appropriate folder. So if I rename my AUDIO folder, SSL will not be able to find any of my audio. OK U get the picture. Well just as a test, Before I booted SSL, I tried changing the name of my "VIDEO" folder, thinking SSL, can't scan the file if it cannot find it. & it worked. I changed the folder called "VIDEO" to "VIDEO--" My SSL booted as normal. FAST, DIDN'T RE-DATE ANY FILES. IT WAS PERFECT. Then after booting SSL, I went back & renamed the my VIDEO folder so that SSL could find my videos. Works perfect. NOW I WOULDN'T DO THIS BECAUSE ITS JUST TO MUCH, but if I did this process everytime I launched SSL, It would solve this issue. My Question, is what gets written to where, that tells SSL at startup, That these mp4s tags have been read? Because thats the issue. That is either NOT getting written correctly, or SSL is not reading it correctly. & It is definitely an MP4 only issue. NOT .avi, not .mov & definitely not .mp3s . The problem is exclusive to .mp4 files ONLY... Is SSL, suppose to write a .ovb or .xml file for these mp4s? I'm not sure. Something is really wrong here. I have 3 friends with the same issue, again it only happens to a few files for them. Not 80 files like me. Question, U have not been able to duplicate this on your end at all? I just really wish I could find a fix to this. I'm about to write a script, that will rename my VIDEO folder, then launch SSL, then change it back. Even tho I feel like thats ridiculous. But hey, it works.... I really need help. Thanks
Rane, Support
Shaun W 7:10 PM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
My Question, is what gets written to where, that tells SSL at startup, That these mp4s tags have been read?

Scratch Live saves this information to the DatabaseV2 file.

Quote:
Is SSL, suppose to write a .ovb or .xml file for these mp4s?

Yes, and this info saves to the Metadata folder. The obv file is the overview info and the xml file is for metadata tags.

Quote:
Question, U have not been able to duplicate this on your end at all?

No, and I think it is because the folder you e-mailed me is simply library info with out the physical video and MP3 files, which I believe may be where the cause resides. I do not think your MP3 files or Video files are corrupt, just to get that out of the way :)

Here's what I think may be going on and what to look into:

How many audio files do you have in your library with video file associations? Look for MP3 files tagged with a white video clip icon, how many do you find? Are there around 80 or so?

FYI, sorting your library by the status icon column does not sort the white video clip associations together, unfortunately :(
The Right One 9:55 PM - 21 July, 2011
I do have many files associated with mp3s. Most Video files have very low Quality Audio even when they are HD & its much easier & faster to edit audio, So I normally Edit my High Quality audio to match the the video & then associate it. Then I mark the video DON'T PLAY, so I don't play it by accident... (Speaking of this, it would be really cool if U could associate files without them having to be in your library. Since there is absolutely no reason I would ever play the actual video file, or at least a way to exclude them from your search. I tried removing them after associating them & it auto removed the association) .... I use this same method to make a RADIO edit, if the video is DIRTY or to make a DIRTY club edit, if the Video is CLEAN only. Takes up way less HD space & again, much easier!!

Anyway back to the issue at hand. I do not associate all my Videos. If the audio is good, I use the Video itself. Also If the video has a break in the middle or I have a RMX I want the video of, I have no choice but to edit the Video, So I edit the video & then use the actual video.

Now with this said, This problem I'm having is not associated with any particular mix. That was the first thing I checked. I was trying to see if it was happening with Videos I associate or videos that I use direct. You might be on to something, cause It happens to both. But I did notice that even the Video files that I play directly. I also use them as an association for a RADIO or DIRTY edit.

But it is still random & I'll tell U why, I have Hundreds, if not Thousands of associated files. It still is only doing this to about 80 off them. & AGAIN IT ONLY RELOADS THE VIDEO .mp4 (RED MARKER). NOT the .mp3 that is associated with it (WHITE MARKER).

Hey just so U know, I program for a company outside of DJing. I'm far from the regular DJ that is lost when it come to computers.. I'm only saying this so U know that U can ask me advanced Question. I really want to get to the bottom of this. But again thank You for your help, I know U want to help & I appreciate that.

Also wile we are on the topic, another cool feature to association would be way to change the point at witch the 2 files associate. As it is, they both start at the beginning only. This way U always have to edit audio adding or taking away dead space at the intro so that things line up. It would be cool if there was a special marker that you could put in each file & when U associate them. It lines the video & audio both at that marker. U could put it to the first beat of the audio & the first beat of the video & boom your good. Even when U line up Movie clicps, U could line it up so U can scratch to the hottest part of the action seen. Just food for thought. Would make life easier!!

Anyways get back to me about this issue, what can I try to fix that????
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:41 PM - 21 July, 2011
I think the problem may be lurking within the metadata folder(s) used by Video-SL, very unfortunately. I say 'very unfortunately' because the metadata folder contains ID3 tag info and waveform overview info for your video files. Renaming this folder will clear ID3 tag and overview info, loops, cues and etc for MP4 files that do not support internal metadata.

As a test, please close SSL and rename the metadata folder found within the _Serato_ folder and then retest.
The Right One 11:30 PM - 21 July, 2011
Just tried that. I rename it Metadata-OLD. It created a new folder, But did not put anything in it. However with that said. I restarted 3 times. Same issue. Nothing has changed?
The Right One 11:40 PM - 21 July, 2011
To add to that, all my .mp4s still have there Markers, Tag info & wav overviews. Does not seem to have changed much at all. Also, there is only about 20 or 30 files in that OLD Metadata folder. & it does not seem as if any of the files that are in that folder are the files associated with the MP4s that are giving me this issue. SSL can wright to these MP4s, There for it does not need to write the Metadata, I think, something in the tag of the actual mp4 is getting corrupted, so SSL can't read it back. BUT the key is still what is causing it?
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:55 PM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
Just tried that. I rename it Metadata-OLD. It created a new folder, But did not put anything in it. However with that said. I restarted 3 times. Same issue. Nothing has changed?

Bummer! I'll ping the Serato peeps for assistance :)
Rane, Support
Shaun W 11:58 PM - 21 July, 2011
Quote:
To add to that, all my .mp4s still have there Markers, Tag info & wav overviews. Does not seem to have changed much at all. Also, there is only about 20 or 30 files in that OLD Metadata folder. & it does not seem as if any of the files that are in that folder are the files associated with the MP4s that are giving me this issue. SSL can wright to these MP4s, There for it does not need to write the Metadata, I think, something in the tag of the actual mp4 is getting corrupted, so SSL can't read it back. BUT the key is still what is causing it?

Good, I'm glad to hear you didn't loose information.

Your workaround sounds like the best clue we've come across, so far.

Quote:
Well just as a test, Before I booted SSL, I tried changing the name of my "VIDEO" folder, thinking SSL, can't scan the file if it cannot find it. & it worked. I changed the folder called "VIDEO" to "VIDEO--" My SSL booted as normal. FAST, DIDN'T RE-DATE ANY FILES. IT WAS PERFECT. Then after booting SSL, I went back & renamed the my VIDEO folder so that SSL could find my videos. Works perfect. NOW I WOULDN'T DO THIS BECAUSE ITS JUST TO MUCH, but if I did this process everytime I launched SSL, It would solve this issue.

We've renamed the databaseV2 file once before, but perhaps we'll need to do it again. Before renaming the databaseV2 file again, please close SSL and rename the Crates folder.
The Right One 12:06 AM - 22 July, 2011
So just to be sure,

1. U want me to rename my "Crates" folder that is located inside the _Serato_ folder Correct?
OR
2. Rename my "VIDEO" folder that my MP4s are located in?

I'm thinking U want me to do the first....
The Right One 12:31 AM - 22 July, 2011
Tried it with the Crate Folder. Did nothing. I guess it does not hurt to try with the VIDEO folder.
The Right One 12:53 AM - 22 July, 2011
Try renaming the VIDEO folder, it rebuilt the databaseV2 file but there where no tags in any of my mp4s, so I renamed the file & rescanned my ID3 tags. restarted a few times. Same issue... No luck over here...
The Right One 6:00 PM - 24 July, 2011
Quick question, slightly off topic, But its because I have ran into this issue before & it is also related to VIDEO FILES. In the past I have had to move my files and then use the relocate feature to relocate them within my SSL. The problem is that this does not relocate the associated video files. I have to go 1 by 1 & re-associate all my videos that are suppose to link up with an mp3.

An update to this feat that would read the tag of the mp3s to see if there is an associated video file & then also relocate the associated Video file & then re-write the tag to locate the missing file would be wonderful.

Not sure if anyone thought of that, But it seems like a really easier fix to add.. Would save so much time, especially for someone like me, that has alot of associated files..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:59 AM - 26 July, 2011
Just to double check something:

Do you use any other programs to edit your videos or audio (or meta data)?
Where do these problem files come from / how did you get them?
Do you use an internal partition on your internal hard drive?
Can you please check the comment fields, or all other tag fields for strange or long tag information (either delete this extraneous information, or cut it down to a sensible size).

For the time being, are you able to NOT connect any of the external hard drives, and not use any form of drive backup software (such as Time Machine). This may be confusing things, so not using these will help pinpoint the issue.

These 80 files - can you please do the following:
1) Find one of these tracks in Scratch Live.
2) Delete this track from your Scratch Live library.
3) Close all applications.
4) Find this file.
5) Rename the actual file name.
6) Move this file to your desktop.
7) Open Scratch Live.
8) Import this file and put in the right crates etc.
9) Now close Scratch Live again.
10) Restart Scratch Live.

In steps 7 or 10, does this file get re-imported again like it used to?
The Right One 8:12 AM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:

Can you please check the comment fields, or all other tag fields for strange or long tag information (either delete this extraneous information, or cut it down to a sensible size).

I checked this, Not an issue. I get my audio & video from many different sources. I mainly use WAVELAB to edit all my audio & Final Cut to edit my videos. But this issue has happened to many different videos, from many different sources. There is no definite place that the problem videos are coming from.

Quote:

For the time being, are you able to NOT connect any of the external hard drives, and not use any form of drive backup software (such as Time Machine). This may be confusing things, so not using these will help pinpoint the issue.

I time machine about once a week, But I do not make it a habbit to back-up wile using SSL & I don't keep that or any other drives, plugged in wile using SSL. All my main videos & audio are on my internal drive. I have a 500 GB internal drive & I plan to upgrade to the 1TB once I find one that spins at 7200 rpm. I don't like to have all kinds of drive attached to my Mac. I make it easy to plugin & go. So thats not an issue.

Quote:

4) Find this file.
7) Open Scratch Live.

OK, doing this fixed the issue. Even when I re-associated my files with with audio. So then I tried leaving my Videos in the same folder. But only changing the file name. That fixed the issue, until I re-associated with the audio.

So here is the difference. I do NOT keep my files in my users folder. I keep them directly on my Macintosh HD. in the following 2 directories.

Macintosh HD/AUDIO
Macintosh HD/VIDEO

When I put it on the desktop, it is locating the Video from within my user directory.

Could this be causing this issue?

Can you try a test on your end. Move an mp4 video file directly onto your Macintosh HD. Then load it to SSL, then associate it with an mp3. Close & relaunch SSL. see if U know have the same issue.

If this is the cause, I hope we can fix it. I locate my files directly on my HD, because I have had to quickly move My setup from Mac to Mac, I have 5 Macs with different user names, even 1 time I had to use a friends Mac when I was overseas an had an issue with my computer. Almost everyone I know leaves the default Hard drive name as Macintosh HD. Makes for a really easy switch between computers. I always use to run into issues with file locations under the user name. especially with associated video file. Like I said before, Relocation DOES NOT WORK FOR THEM. I have to many to have to re-associate them every time I switch to a different Mac.

I think we are getting close tho...
The Right One 8:12 AM - 26 July, 2011
Quote:

I checked this, Not an issue. I get my audio & video from many different sources. I mainly use WAVELAB to edit all my audio & Final Cut to edit my videos. But this issue has happened to many different videos, from many different sources. There is no definite place that the problem videos are coming from.

Quote:

I time machine about once a week, But I do not make it a habbit to back-up wile using SSL & I don't keep that or any other drives, plugged in wile using SSL. All my main videos & audio are on my internal drive. I have a 500 GB internal drive & I plan to upgrade to the 1TB once I find one that spins at 7200 rpm. I don't like to have all kinds of drive attached to my Mac. I make it easy to plugin & go. So thats not an issue.

Quote:

4) Find this file.
7) Open Scratch Live.

OK, doing this fixed the issue. Even when I re-associated my files with with audio. So then I tried leaving my Videos in the same folder. But only changing the file name. That fixed the issue, until I re-associated with the audio.

So here is the difference. I do NOT keep my files in my users folder. I keep them directly on my Macintosh HD. in the following 2 directories.

Macintosh HD/AUDIO
Macintosh HD/VIDEO

When I put it on the desktop, it is locating the Video from within my user directory.

Could this be causing this issue?

Can you try a test on your end. Move an mp4 video file directly onto your Macintosh HD. Then load it to SSL, then associate it with an mp3. Close & relaunch SSL. see if U know have the same issue.

If this is the cause, I hope we can fix it. I locate my files directly on my HD, because I have had to quickly move My setup from Mac to Mac, I have 5 Macs with different user names, even 1 time I had to use a friends Mac when I was overseas an had an issue with my computer. Almost everyone I know leaves the default Hard drive name as Macintosh HD. Makes for a really easy switch between computers. I always use to run into issues with file locations under the user name. especially with associated video file. Like I said before, Relocation DOES NOT WORK FOR THEM. I have to many to have to re-associate them every time I switch to a different Mac.

I think we are getting close tho...
The Right One 9:09 PM - 26 July, 2011
Ok I spoke to soon. I am now getting this error from inside the user folder as well. So I don't think that has anything to do with the issue. But again, It only happens to Video Files that are associated with audio & it only starts happening after the video file has been associated.

So with that said I did one more TEST. I pick 3 files that were giving me this issue. I went & de-associated them from the mp3 that they had been associated to. & boom the issue is resolved. Restarted 3 or 4 times. No issue with these files...

Then as soon as I re-associate them back with an mp3. The issue returns. There is a definite glitch happening with mp4s that are associated with an mp3. Any luck reduplicating this issue on your end. Again I have seen it on 4 different Mac machines myself. Last night I check a friends machine he to was having the same issue & it also was related to associated files only...

But I do have some associated video files that are not experiencing this issue.
KMXE 6:39 AM - 27 July, 2011
hey guys just saw this thread

exact same thing has happened to me for a couple of years and raised a few times (through beta as well)

serato.com

last i read was that it was being fixed but it still happens to me on versions after 2.1.1.

Whenever i try a later version i normally get this same issue straight away or a few sessions in - im having to same my database file and copying that back when it happens so it doesnt screw up import dates/times.

2.1.1 so far has been the most stable for this issue - however it has happened maybe once or twice (maybe a few more times) since this particular version was released

pretty frustrating!
KMXE 6:41 AM - 27 July, 2011
and to confirm, anywhere between 50-100 (exactly the same as you The Right One) would appear in my list as if i had just imported it.

its strange because when you look at the date/time code most of the "new" imports are literally seconds after you open SSL.
Rane, Support
Shaun W 10:11 PM - 27 July, 2011
Quote:
So with that said I did one more TEST. I pick 3 files that were giving me this issue. I went & de-associated them from the mp3 that they had been associated to. & boom the issue is resolved. Restarted 3 or 4 times. No issue with these files...

Please upload one audio and one video file from your library that you have associated and cause the issue. I'll use those files in an attempt to duplicate the problem here, thanks :)
KMXE 11:13 PM - 1 August, 2011
this has just happened to me again in 23062

ive tried the 'Read iTunes Library' trick which worked for a while, but now even my last stable version is forcing 50-100 tracks to change its import dates
11:02 PM, 3 Aug 2011
The Right One attached a file: D4L - Laffy Taffy DIRTY [CLUB READY].mp3
Download· Permalink
11:03 PM, 3 Aug 2011
The Right One attached a file: D4L - Laffy Taffy CLN [CLUB READY]@.mp4
Download· Permalink
11:04 PM, 3 Aug 2011
The Right One attached a file: Travie Mccoy - Billionaire (ft Bruno Mars) CLN [CLUB READY].mp3
Download· Permalink
11:06 PM, 3 Aug 2011
The Right One attached a file: Travie McCoy - Billionaire (ft Bruno Mars) DIRTY [CLUB READY].mp4
Download· Permalink
11:07 PM, 3 Aug 2011
The Right One attached a file: YC - Racks (ft Future) DIRTY [CLUB READY].mp3
Download· Permalink
11:12 PM, 3 Aug 2011
The Right One attached a file: YC - Racks (ft Future) CLN [CLUB READY].mp4
Download· Permalink
The Right One 11:17 PM - 3 August, 2011
Been busy, But I attached 3 associated mp3/mp4 combo's that cause this issue. As long as these files are NOT associated, they are fine. As soon as U associate them, they keep changing the import date & time at startup, on the mp4 ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Obviously, The D4L goes with D4L, & the YC with YC, But honestly as long as U associated these MP4s with an mp3, any mp3, your gonna get this issue...

Really wish this fix could be added to the 2.3 BETA, before it gets released!!!

Thanks for the help & KMXE, I feel your pain!!!!
The Right One 4:10 PM - 9 August, 2011
Hey guys, I was just wondering if U got a chance to try them mp3/mp4 combo's I sent U? I haven't heard anything back in over a week. The day I loaded them. I accidentally hit the "Its Fixed" button but I immediately corrected that mistake. I hope it didn't flag this issue as FIXED!

Anyway, if U could let me know something, I would greatly appreciate it.
The Right One 7:54 PM - 16 August, 2011
Hello?
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 5:10 AM - 17 August, 2011
Hi The Right One,

Sorry if this fell into the backlog, I will take a look at those files today and let you know the findings tomorrow.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 7:50 AM - 18 August, 2011
Hi The Right One,

I had a look at the files you uploaded and couldn't replicate the problem here.
Associations all worked fine and on start up there was no change.
Are you still experiencing the date/time added issue ?

Have you updated to the full release version of Scratch Live 2.3 ?
The Right One 7:14 PM - 18 August, 2011
Yes it is happening just as badly on 2.3. I find this to be so weird, that you cannot reduplicate this is issue. I have tried to reduplicate it on other peoples machines. & I can always reduplicate the issue. One more thing to try. Make sure that you put the Mp4's & the Mp3's in a different directory folder. Maybe this adds to the issue. I have all my mp3's & mp4s in a different location. I wonder if this will help you duplicate the issue.
KMXE 11:49 PM - 18 August, 2011
Quote:
I have all my mp3's & mp4s in a different location.

same with me
KMXE 9:35 AM - 8 September, 2011
this has happened to me 2-3 times since my last post.....
The Right One 6:45 PM - 8 September, 2011
Hello!!!! I sent you a video of my computer showing you this happening!!! We are not over here makin this up.. Its really really bad... I'm know 4 people that this happens to, besides me & I'm sure there are alot more people that don't even realize that its happening on there machines as well. No one has hit me back about this issue in weeks!!!!!!! Have you just wrote it off as an issue your not going to address? I'm confused!!!! You have a serious issue within your software.. Please Please Please try to fix this!!! 2.3 is just as broken as all your previous versions.. The start up time of my SSL is ridiculously slow!!! & I know this issue is what is causing it. Have you tried to duplicate it on more then 1 machine. Does the test machine have only 1 or 2 linked files? Maybe the problem arises when you start to have hundreds of linked files. is there anyone on the team that has a machine with hundreds of linked files? Does there machine do it? If nothing else, please hit me back & tell me something. Even if the answer is we are NOT gonna fix this.. It is frustrating to be left on hold!!!

Thank U for your time!!!
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 9:36 PM - 8 September, 2011
Hi The Right One,

If you could PM me your contact details I will give you a call on Monday or Tuesday and Ill have a look at your system.

Let me know if this suits.

Thanks

Anthony
KMXE 12:12 AM - 9 September, 2011
@AnthonyS - if needed im happy to take Skype call or whatever to go over my system as well. im based in Sydney
The Right One 4:58 PM - 27 September, 2011
I send my info & never got a call!! Anthony are you gonna call me?
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 1:04 AM - 9 November, 2011
Hi The Right One,

Sorry about the late reply, I had called you previously but had no response. I added you to the 2.3.3 Invite Beta area for you to test using that version and investigate if you still experienced the same problem.

If you could let me know where you are at with your setup at the moment and I will assist you as required.

Anthony
The Right One 1:25 AM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Hi The Right One,

Sorry about the late reply, I had called you previously but had no response. I added you to the 2.3.3 Invite Beta area for you to test using that version and investigate if you still experienced the same problem.

If you could let me know where you are at with your setup at the moment and I will assist you as required.

Anthony

definitely am getting the same problem in 2.3.3
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 1:33 AM - 9 November, 2011
Hi The Right One,

OK, thats not good to hear :( Have you reported this in the Invite Beta area ?
KMXE 6:40 AM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Hi The Right One,

i have!
The Right One 7:58 PM - 9 November, 2011
Quote:
Hi The Right One,

I have also...
Serato, Moderator
AnthonyS 9:19 PM - 9 November, 2011
Hi The Right One,

OK, I will look into this with the development team. I'm not sure where they are at with this one.
Serato
Zeb 9:46 PM - 15 November, 2011
Quote:
The start up time of my SSL is ridiculously slow!!! & I know this issue is what is causing it.

How many tracks do you have in your library?

Are they importing into SL through iTunes or directly?

Are they on an external drive or your laptops internal?

How long would you say roughly it takes to finish loading your library?

Quote:
Have you tried to duplicate it on more then 1 machine.

I can't speak for everyone but I have tried this on several machines, under several varying circumstances.

Quote:
Does the test machine have only 1 or 2 linked files? Maybe the problem arises when you start to have hundreds of linked files.
Is there anyone on the team that has a machine with hundreds of linked files?

I have tens of thousands of mp3's, m4a's, wav files & aiff files. We test all supported formats. I have around 800 mp4's, also m4v, mov, avi e.t.c
KMXE 10:04 PM - 15 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Does the test machine have only 1 or 2 linked files? Maybe the problem arises when you start to have hundreds of linked files.

I have tens of thousands of mp3's, m4a's, wav files & aiff files. We test all supported formats. I have around 800 mp4's, also m4v, mov, avi e.t.c

Maybe The Right One is suggesting if you have hundreds of mp3s associated with mp4s??? I certainly do - in fact I'd say 95% of my mp4s have a mp3 associated with it.
The Right One 12:13 AM - 16 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe The Right One is suggesting if you have hundreds of mp3s associated with mp4s??? I certainly do - in fact I'd say 95% of my mp4s have a mp3 associated with it.

I agree, we have pointed this out before... We have already narrowed it down, that it only happens with mp4s that have been associated with mp3s. I also have hundreds of mp4s that are associated with mp3s. Thats what you have to test. Associations.

SCROLL UP, DOWNLOAD THIS FILE AN WATCH....
LINK
3:57 PM, 7 Jul 2011
The Right One attached a file: IMG_1244.MOV

its all there....

as for the other questions. they have all been answered before. But I will go thru & answer them again..

Quote:
How many tracks do you have in your library?

23,243 Tracks. about 300 of the mp4's are associated with mp3's

Quote:
Are they importing into SL through iTunes or directly?

Directly

Quote:
Are they on an external drive or your laptops internal?

NO external drives used with SSL

Quote:
How long would you say roughly it takes to finish loading your library?

about 1 min.
KMXE 5:42 AM - 16 November, 2011
basically similar answers for me... including the hundreds of mp4s associated with mp3s
nik39 4:56 AM - 20 August, 2012
Has that ever been resolved?
Dj Wunder 12:44 AM - 11 September, 2012
I'd like to know as well nik39. I'm over here on 2.4.2 and I have 64 mp4's that have this exact same problem. I found this thread, read top to bottom and tried the recommendations, no dice. Every time I open SSL, the Date Added tag is changed to the moment SSL is opened.