Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

I'm suggesting for a small fee a "hardware free" version of SSL is released

Onekickmusic 11:38 PM - 19 June, 2011
I would be willing to pay up to £80 for Serato in a form that didn't require hardware to use. Reason being, I own traktor but I know many clubs have as SSL setup, so why is it not possible for me to learn how to use the software without having to buy another soundcard. I bet there is a fairly large market for people who own traktor but would be happy to use serato if a club had it, if only they could practice on it before hand and get used to the UI in the form it would be in when playing in a club.
Maybe I'm over-complicating serato, but I sure as shit am not going to go into a club and agree to use serato over my own traktor setup when I have never used it in that form before.
An internal mixer would be necessary, but headphones would not.

FUCK IT even just a flash(etc.) based web game that let you pretend you were playing on a full serato setup so you could learn the layout.

I'm really trying to get into serato, but I just can't commit £700 to something I don't even get to have a go on before I buy.

(before anyone suggests I use a friends or a shops setup, I live in the middle of nowhere, and I don't even think the nearest DJ store stocks serato)
WarpNote 11:19 AM - 20 June, 2011
I'd say the chance of that is real slim,
about the same chance as NI selling full Traktor licenses for that £80,-

Your best options for learning would be:
- Rent a SL box from the local dj stor for a night or two, or
- Get a cheap SL box on ebay, then sell it if you dont wanna keep it (to minimize cost) or
- Borrow one from a friend (or even the club, during off hours...)
WarpNote 11:21 AM - 20 June, 2011
Oops, forget my first option, but the 2 other might work out for you....
Onekickmusic 5:36 PM - 20 June, 2011
Thanks for the rational response, I'm gunna look into the ebay option, would any scratch live sound card work? because theres some pretty cheap SL1 auctions around.
kbscholar 6:32 PM - 20 June, 2011
I have an SL1 box for sale. It works great, but I don't need it anymore since I got the SL4 box.
Onekickmusic 7:28 PM - 20 June, 2011
How much for?
kbscholar 7:38 PM - 20 June, 2011
$300 USD, and it includes a power adapter.
Onekickmusic 8:34 PM - 20 June, 2011
I'm in the UK, it'd be simpler for me to just buy it on ebay from nearby, sorry.
WarpNote 10:23 PM - 20 June, 2011
Lots of people updating to SL 2 and SL 4 from SL 1 these days, so you should be able to pick up a used one at a good price. Upgraded about 1 week ago myself, but still keeping my SL 1 for backup.

Theres an issue with Windows based PCs with i3, i5 or i7 processors when used with USB 1.1 devices
(ie: SL1 and TTM 57SL), link -> serato.com

If you're running a mac, (or an older PC) you should be good, or else you might wanna look into SL 2 (SL 3 or even SL 4). Basically, SL 2 is the entry level USB 2 card for Scratch Live (still have the same great sound & build quality as its bigger brothers), retails at about £307.50 at Juno, a little more pricey at Westend DJ...

Best of luck, Id say from a personal point of view, you're better off having an SSL setup at home if you're going to perform at the club with SSL. It will build your confidence and if something acts up because of an user error, you'll know how to fix it in a snap. (calibrating needles, lock playing deck, load to wrong deck etc...) You need to look at it as an investment, if you want to stay with Traktor, theres nothing wrong with that. But, if you buy a SL card, you'll probably settle for either Traktor or Serato, at least thats what all my DJ buddies did..
credentia1 5:01 AM - 22 June, 2011
I suggest a dongle so we can use the internal sound card for example on the DJM 900.
Dax 9:56 PM - 22 June, 2011
Quote:
I'm in the UK, it'd be simpler for me to just buy it on ebay from nearby, sorry.

hit me up with a PM ,i'm in SE london and have a spare SL3 box and rane TTM56 sitting around needing a new home.
Dax 9:58 PM - 22 June, 2011
oh and listen to WarpNote, lots of great advice.
Rexx 7:40 PM - 8 July, 2011
I've been thinking about this too. My biggest gripe is going to the club and having to hook-up RCA's to my SL4, cdj-2000s and the mixer. Maybe If there was a way to have the boxes just act as a dongle, or have a different, compact, device that acts like a dongle, without having to hook up to the mixer. I love HID on the cdj's I just hate hooking up RCA's. Just like credentia1's idea.

I'm not a technical guy so I don't know if this can be done. I don't know if it can be done in software either. But I would love a way to utilize the sound cards in the cdjs and not have to unplug anything at the clubs.

Looking into the future with my idea here - maybe something like a Serato USB hub type device. Just hookup the cdjs and optional MIDI controller (dicer) to the hub and then to just one USB to the computer.
WarpNote 6:53 PM - 11 July, 2011
USB hub on a 2 way, time critical connection is not really such a good thing...
ie. latency an dropout trouble...

Not so much fan of connecting cables myself, but gotten used to it over the years.
If you REALLY wanna use the cdj soundcard, just bring usb keys to the club.
At least you can travel light.