Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Looking for NS6 flightcase options that...

[O/][iii][O/] 1:50 PM - 15 June, 2011

• Do not have any built-in laptop tray/shelf contraptions
• Are as compact as possible (no extra/wasted air space inside)
• Have detachable front and rear panel access hatch panels for controls/connections

Any help? Thanks in advance.

(PS: Mods, I posted this in Numark section too and then realized that's probably wrong area since it's not actual tech support issue. Please move/delete if necessary.)
damehype 3:15 PM - 15 June, 2011
Marathon has one coming out soon that would seem to fit those requests. A no frills flight case. I'm waiting on that one or Numark's offering
Kenso 11:51 PM - 15 June, 2011
I *was* looking for a DDJ-S1 case. Seems like the best options for them are in the UK and Germany, for the criteria you state. I have the SAME criteria. I want the slimmest/lightest protection to come in a hardcase.

You seen this one?:
www.swanflight.com
Kenso 11:53 PM - 15 June, 2011
Oh yeah, I talked to one Odyssey rep and he said they are going to make a no-glide flat case for the NS6. Another Odyssey rep told my DJ store owner friend they didnt plan to. Meanwhile, Marathon has webpage for the no-glide but no actual product yet.
dj pesh 12:01 AM - 16 June, 2011
www.swanflight.com

close as...
[O/][iii][O/] 12:10 AM - 16 June, 2011
Thanks Kenso - That Swan is getting closer, but it (like so many other cases unfortunately) still has wasted space in the rear. No idea why they do this either rather than making the case smaller, closer to the installed unit's chassis, with a removable panel hatch... that way the case gets real compact AND cables can exit straight out rather than up and over the top edge (which is real sloppy and unnecessary).
[O/][iii][O/] 12:11 AM - 16 June, 2011
Just noticed that Swan doesn't have flush catches or handles = deal-breaker :-(
Kenso 5:03 AM - 16 June, 2011
If youre that hard up for a perfect case, maybe you would want to have one custom-made? It might not be possible to make an ATA flight case that small (height-wise). Look at some of the smaller cases and observe the size of the handle and latches. Probably the smallest height would be maybe 8.5-9 inches?

I had a coffin made at Odyssey. Maybe they have gotten better since I had mine made a few years ago, but I had to return one, and I finally just accepted the next one because although it was not perfect, it was close enough. I installed quick-disconnect XLR & 1/4" connectors and IEC power receptacle on the dj side. I just show up, take the lid off, and play. Turned out nice! Its amusing to over-hear other DJ's talk about it at some of my gigs.

Im not going to do this to an NS6 case though. Not necessary IMO.
[O/][iii][O/] 11:48 AM - 16 June, 2011
Height, while is desired to be as low profile as possible, is the least concern — it's more about having as compact a footprint as possible when in the operating position. All the cases I've seen so far have a larger footprint than what's necessary. They usually waste space by adding a few inches to the rear of the case where all the cable connections are.
Kenso 1:30 PM - 16 June, 2011
I agree, the odyssey cases waste TOO much space everywhere. But youre going to use the lid then when gigging? If you're going to use XLR's you're going to need about 3-4 inches to make the connection and/or just clear the back of the case. If the case fits perfect, you'd have to use the lid only. I don't see the point in that instance.
[O/][iii][O/] 1:42 PM - 16 June, 2011
No, the lid pops off off and would be set aside. Only purpose the lid serves is when transporting (or to place underneath and stack for added height if ever needed.

And no, not ANY space is needed for ANY connections (RCA, XLR, USB, power) on the back is required IF the back has a removable panel hatch. That way all cables that are connected to the NS6 can exit straight out the back when the panel hatch is removed so they don't have to drape up and over the top edge.

Basically what I'm looking for is a case just like this (with NS6 dimensions of course): ep.yimg.com that doesn't have all that wasted space in the back. Imagine the back fitting closer to the NS6's chassis and a removable panel hatch just like what's on the front duplicated on the back. Dig?
Kenso 3:18 PM - 16 June, 2011
I feel ya. Well then, you'll be a hero if you find one. Make sure to let me know what you come up with. I, like you, am interested in the smallest, most useful case I can find. Thanks
[O/][iii][O/] 3:29 PM - 16 June, 2011
Will do ;-)
Kenso 6:14 PM - 16 June, 2011
Okay, I just got off the phone with Numark (on hold for 20 freaking minutes). The tech support guy is going to call me back with actual dimensions, and (maybe) photos of the lid for the MixDeck Case. I dont know if it will work for you, but if the lid has a handle, and depending how big it is, I will get one. You just need to modify the foam for proper fitment. I saw on another post here where a guy fit a DDJ-S1 inside one of these MixDeck cases.

I tried to submit a product support request on their webpage, and the link didnt work when I pressed "submit". Lets hope Numark follows through and gets back to me...
thedor 6:28 PM - 16 June, 2011
Tomorrow will try case from mixdeck... My friend have case.
Kenso 9:21 PM - 16 June, 2011
thedor: yes, please. let us know how easy it is to remove the foam. hope your friend wont mind you doing this to his case LOL.
thedor 12:06 AM - 17 June, 2011
I do photos :)
Kenso 2:10 AM - 17 June, 2011
thedor: my GC had a MixDeck case. they finally pulled a demo NS6 and i compared. the NS6 will fit if you modify the foam, however the case is still TOO big. i took pictures if you guys want to see.
Kenso 2:25 AM - 17 June, 2011
I uploaded the pics.
www.mediafire.com