DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Fraternity / Sorority Songs of Importance?

dj cubicle 3:17 PM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:
DJ'ing a college party for the almighty Que Dogs (Omega Psi Phi), you know...the Fraternity that STEPS to Atomic Dog by George Clinton all the time....

So, the party was OFF THE CHAIN...SOLD OUT, ERRYBODY SWEATY, and now it's time for them to STEP....

And I forgot Atomic Dog at home.

So, Johnny posted this in another thread and I got to wondering if there are any other "must have" songs for specific fraternities or sororities. Anybody?
Likwid 3:21 PM - 3 August, 2007
'College Girls Are Easy' always works with any college party.
tig ol' bitties 3:31 PM - 3 August, 2007
fight for your right to party.
DJ GaFFle 3:36 PM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:
Quote:
DJ'ing a college party for the almighty Que Dogs (Omega Psi Phi), you know...the Fraternity that STEPS to Atomic Dog by George Clinton all the time....

So, the party was OFF THE CHAIN...SOLD OUT, ERRYBODY SWEATY, and now it's time for them to STEP....

And I forgot Atomic Dog at home.

So, Johnny posted this in another thread and I got to wondering if there are any other "must have" songs for specific fraternities or sororities. Anybody?

What were you DJ'ing with WAX? I take it that you didn't have Internet access or left an external at home with the majority of your library.

Set it off (not sure which Sor/Frat)
More Bounce (Alpha Phi ALpha)

I think it all depends on the age group of the people and what part of the country you're at.
DJ Limelight 7:04 PM - 3 August, 2007
I pledged Alpha.... Gaffle is right. You GOTTA play "More Bounce". Also Parliment's "Flashlight", but it kinda depends on what region you're in.

Omega (Que's) - You better have "Atomic Dog" if you want to get paid!

Kappa's - They have a few. Ludacris' "Throw Them Bows" (not sure if that's the exact title). Anything associated with styling, pimpin', looking good, or profiling.

AKA's - Don't play "Hoes In This House" because they will not step to that or anything derogatory towards women. Anything associated with being pretty, Like One Way's "Cutie Pie"... But that might be for an older crowd.

I remember a lot organizations having fast steps/ lines to Cashmere's "Perculator".

I pledged in 1999, so I'm out of touch a little.
LightsOut06 7:46 PM - 3 August, 2007
DJ Limelight 7:55 PM - 3 August, 2007
^^ 0000000006!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dj K.Smith 8:13 PM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:
AKA's - Don't play "Hoes In This House" because they will not step to that or anything derogatory towards women. Anything associated with being pretty, Like One Way's "Cutie Pie"... But that might be for an older crowd.

Yeah man I got a joint on the 26th. She's AKA and he's A Phi A... I got more bounce but I wanted to make all those pretty AKA girls get out there and Skee-weeee... Anybody know their song?
DeezNotes 8:25 PM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:

The special 10 minute Atomic Mix!

We did another Que party this past weekend. I got the track listing and might re-mix it after this weekend. It was jumpin!!
Thundercat 8:28 PM - 3 August, 2007
Quote:
What were you DJ'ing with WAX? I take it that you didn't have Internet access or left an external at home with the majority of your library.

He's not a Scratch Live owner yet, he's a procrastinator. :p
Dj K.Smith 8:30 PM - 3 August, 2007
AkA's man AkA's... I gotta make these "cutie pies" step... lol
djaction 8:41 PM - 3 August, 2007
Sublime - Date Rape.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 12:59 AM - 4 August, 2007
The Kappa's (Alpha PSi) or was it Alpha's (Phi Alpha) used to have the catch phrase "Too Cold" in their step, so Ice Ice Baby was popular one back in the day. Yep, was the Alpha's "Men in Black and Gold, Too Cold - Too Cold....

Not sure if it still is today.
DJJOHNNYM 6:03 PM - 4 August, 2007
Quote:

Dude, you have NO IDEA....
jdub 10:38 AM - 5 August, 2007
When I DJ frat parties I bang Remy Ma - Conceited for my AKA's... that might be just a chapter thing though
jdub 11:00 AM - 5 August, 2007
When I DJ frat parties I bang Remy Ma - Conceited for my AKA's... that might be just a chapter thing though
Dj Chinn 4:13 PM - 5 August, 2007
It all depends on the fraternity... What their songs are.. Im a TKE (Tau Kappa Epsilon) and we have to songs that i have remixed for TKE.. Hence, I play them all the time.. Tocka- Down the Way and We Takin over! My fraternity parties always sell out completely, the crowd loves crunk and bmore and of coarse you poppy shit. Also mashups are always a place when you do them live!
emuneee 5:46 PM - 5 August, 2007
Quote:

DJ GaFFle 6:42 PM - 5 August, 2007
Quote:

Kappa's - They have a few. Ludacris' "Throw Them Bows" (not sure if that's the exact title). Anything associated with styling, pimpin', looking good, or profiling.

Outkast - "So Fresh, So clean"... That may work.
DJ Limelight 6:35 AM - 6 August, 2007
^^ Perfect one
DJ FUN TIMES :) 7:12 PM - 8 August, 2007
Quote:

A few years ago there was this AV8 record out tittled "turn the Party Out" where Lil Jon chants "we going set this thang off right there some sexy ladies in the house okkkkkkayyy"

To my surprise when I was spun at this "Showtime at the Apollo" style talent show the AKA's where giving they wanted to do a step and they gave me this cd. The song they wanted to step to was the AV8 record I just mentioned. But it was a little diffent. The version they had actually had Lil Jon chanting "We gonna set this thang off right, there some sexy AKA's in the house okkkkkkkayyyyyyyy"

Now if you can find that record you will be the man. Unfortunatly, I heard this song before SSL came out, so I did have anything there for me to copy that cd.
DJ FUN TIMES :) 7:15 PM - 8 August, 2007
Don't feel to bad about the Atomic Dog record. I DJ'ed this step show at West Chester University and I forgot that record too. Again this was before SSL came out. Lucky for me the Q's asked me to play it at the end of the step show right after the campus police told me to shut the music off. The Q's was pissed, they started offering me 50 bucks than 100 bucks to play the song. That would have been an easy come-up if I had that record
DJ KAY G 8:09 PM - 8 August, 2007
damn all i gotta say is be prepared for a shit load of requests its goign to be a long night man
O.B.1 11:20 PM - 20 August, 2009
cypress hill - Psycho Beta Breakdown ("psycho alpha disco beta")
SK1 12:35 AM - 21 August, 2009
Most definitely check with the person that hired you on Frat/Sor parties...

We all have songs or remixes of songs that we used. My frat uses Atomic Dog, but I have a remixed version that I usually drop. For the other groups on campus, I just get a copy of their songs directly from them. Usually it's the same version that I have, but a few times it was a remix.
bourbonstmc 12:36 AM - 21 August, 2009
One frat from North Texas had "Hell's Bell's" by AC/DC as their frat song. I don't if that was just their chapter, or for the whole national frat. And I don't remember which frat. But I freaked 'em out by remembering their song when a group of 'em came the next year.
SK1 12:44 AM - 21 August, 2009
yeah... I keep copies in my library for the next time I'm hired by the same organization.
DJDaveOtt 3:36 AM - 21 August, 2009
We are family
SK1 4:37 AM - 21 August, 2009
Quote:
We are family

That's the song for Phi Sigma Sigma
DJ KEL-WIN! 10:47 PM - 26 September, 2011
I've done quite a few gigs for black frats in Chicago. Always "Atomic Dogg" for Omegas. AKAs or "Alphas" have a few different ones, i.e. "Quiet Storm" by Mobb Deep, "One More Chance (Stay with Me Remix)" by Notorious BIG and "Mic Checka (Solid Scheme Remix)" by Das EFX...and I'm sure there are more. It's always good to ask what thay want to step to before the gig. Finally, Kappas step to "Candy" by Cameo but there are probably more here too.

Thanks for the question.
philldafunk 1:08 AM - 27 September, 2011
Divine 9 (to the best of my knowledge)

Kappa Alpha PsI= Parliment's Flash light"
Omega Psi Phi= Parliment's "Atomic Dog"
Alpha Phi Alpha= Ice Cube "Pistol Grip Pump"
Phi Beta Sigma= Zapp & Roger's "More Bounce to the ounce"
Delta Sigma Theta= Commodores "Brick House"
Alpha Kappa Alpha= Uncle Luke "Scarred"
Zeta Phi Beta= Cameo's "Candy"

As for Iota Phi Alpha, and Sigma Gamma Rho I really can't say as they weren't to thick on my campus.

The above list comes from Texas School, and I'm not sure if it's a Southwestern Province thing or what.
DJ KEL-WIN! 1:15 AM - 27 September, 2011
Thanks Philldafunk-

correction: in referring to Alphas I meant members of the Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and not AKAs - members of the Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority...it can get mad confusing.

Most of my list comes from Chicago and stuff I did for a group from Florida A&M (FAMU).
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:29 AM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:

Volume 10 - Pistol Grip Pump - rename the limewire tune dude...

: )

Watchwww.youtube.com
philldafunk 3:58 AM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

Volume 10 - Pistol Grip Pump - rename the limewire tune dude...

Watchwww.youtube.com www.youtube.com

Ayo thats what the Alphas gave me on a flash.

djchriscruz 12:24 PM - 27 September, 2011
I live near DC and about a month ago the Qmega Psi Phi National Convention was held in DC. All I heard throughout the whole city was Atomic Dog and Barking(Que's roll call).
DJ KEL-WIN! 12:55 PM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:
I live near DC and about a month ago the Qmega Psi Phi National Convention was held in DC. All I heard throughout the whole city was Atomic Dog and Barking(Que's roll call).

Atomic Dog is universal for Omegas.

A member of the AKA sorority - Alpha Kappa Alpha - requested "Got to be Real" by Cherly Lynn from me yesterday.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:32 PM - 27 September, 2011
Interesting thread revival - I have been in the game for a minute - my first paying gig was in college for Kappa Alpha Psi in '82 or '83. Had numerous friends that pledged different Sorority & Frats and made a few nickels spinning both Black & White Greek gigs back in the day.

What i find interesting other than the Que Dog staple of Atomic Dog (makes sense) - is that most of the other song posts are old school songs - no sorority likes Nicki Minaj - Moment For Life or no Frat likes something like Ace Hood - Hustle Hard?

A few "newer" tunes were mentioned above but find it interesting how far it leans to real "old school"
DJ KEL-WIN! 2:45 PM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:
Interesting thread revival - I have been in the game for a minute - my first paying gig was in college for Kappa Alpha Psi in '82 or '83. Had numerous friends that pledged different Sorority & Frats and made a few nickels spinning both Black & White Greek gigs back in the day.

What i find interesting other than the Que Dog staple of Atomic Dog (makes sense) - is that most of the other song posts are old school songs - no sorority likes Nicki Minaj - Moment For Life or no Frat likes something like Ace Hood - Hustle Hard?

A few "newer" tunes were mentioned above but find it interesting how far it leans to real "old school"

Indeed - I find myself doing weddings for mostly black "greeks" who want to relieve their college years. I think the leaning towards old school has something to do with the tradition and legacy of these organizations but also because much contemporary music doesn't have a clear drum pattern to "step" to. Atomic Dog has that hard bottom to it - it's difficult to find anything like that in today's urban radio. I suspect a few newer songs will make it as frat/soror anthems - as I'm not sure what their stomping to in college right now - but overall the classics will remain.
RAYSH 2:56 PM - 27 September, 2011
asher roth - i love college
DJ Dac 4:11 PM - 27 September, 2011
Quote:
asher roth - i love college

i get sad every time i hear that song... man i miss college...
DJ Nightmare Productions 5:53 PM - 27 September, 2011
They are different in different parts of the country... I am a Alpha..
DJ Nightmare Productions 5:55 PM - 27 September, 2011
Shout to the Good Bruhs on the Forum...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA PHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!
MiamiHarold 12:50 AM - 23 July, 2015
ΦΒΣ Fraternity Incorporated steps to Computer Games
ΑΦΑ steps to More Bounce
ΩΨΦ steps to Atomic Dog
ΚΑΨ steps to Candy

ΖΦΒ Sorority Incorporated steps to Bad Mamma Jamma
ΑΚΑ steps to Set it off
ΔΣΘ steps to To be real
ΣΓΡ step to Brick house
DJ Continental 6:58 PM - 17 November, 2016
Fraternity
Omega - Atomic Dog, Pinc Gator - "I'm a Que",
Sigma - Drake's I'm going in (specifically lil wayne's verse),
Kappa - Gucci Mane – Freaky Gurl
Alpha - C-Murder "Down for my N"

Sorority
Beyonce's Formation
AKA - Wale "Pretty Girls"
Delta - Snoop "Drop it Like its Hot", Cheryl Lynn "Got to Be Real"
SGRho -
Zeta -
Dalastmo7 7:11 PM - 26 April, 2017
Quote:
ΑΦΑ steps to More Bounce
ΩΨΦ steps to Atomic Dog
ΚΑΨ steps to Candy

ΑΚΑ steps to Set it off
ΔΣΘ steps to To be real
ΣΓΡ step to Brick house

Don't forget Iota - Rosa Parks - Outkast

Your list is pretty much a Southern List
MiamiHarold 9:14 PM - 26 April, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
ΑΦΑ steps to More Bounce
ΩΨΦ steps to Atomic Dog
ΚΑΨ steps to Candy

ΑΚΑ steps to Set it off
ΔΣΘ steps to To be real
ΣΓΡ step to Brick house

Don't forget Iota - Rosa Parks - Outkast

Your list is pretty much a Southern List

Yeah I'm in Dade County
ChuckDvolume2 2:21 AM - 29 April, 2019
Shout to the Good Bruhs on the Forum...
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA PHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!![/quo
te]

I Know I'm late but 00000000-6!!!