Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

NS6 Pitch Resolution....

blackavenger 6:02 AM - 11 June, 2011
So now I am understanding what Gizmo meant by the Pitch Resolution not being very tight. What I am wondering, is the Pitch Resolution the result of the Numark NS6 Hardware, or the Serato ITCH Software?

I know that with my CDJ-400 & SL3 (ScratchLIVE native), the Pitch Resolution is Dead On Accurate, but it's hard as hell (or nearly impossible) to get the BPM matched "exactly" with the NS6 & ITCH. Is this something that can be fixed (adjusted) in a Numark Firmware, or Serato Software Update, or is this something I'm just going to have to learn to deal with?

Anyone know the answer?
blackavenger 5:53 PM - 12 June, 2011
So I guess everyone on this forum is clueless? Come on Y'all, it's a simple question.
skratchworx 6:19 PM - 12 June, 2011
I imagine that the only people who know are Numark and Serato. That part of the review went through without comment, so I imagine that they know it's not exact.

Seeing as Numark have this pitch takeover thing going on, perhaps they could give some sort of numerical input option for pitch, so you can simply type in what percentage you want, or even a BPM.
Crox 3:31 PM - 15 July, 2011
bump! Can anything at all be done about this? Im getting pretty tired and MAD using pitch bend buttons every two seconds as I mix a new track in! Id like to focus more on the Eq-ing rather than worry about my tracks running out of sync the whole time. C'mon Serato give us a quick fix, please!

Im actually contemplating whether I should return my NS6 as this "inaccurate pitch" thing frustrates the hell out of me. Also, I hate and will never use the "sync" feature.
heedfull 3:36 PM - 15 July, 2011
It's hard to say, but I find the pitch on the V7 perfect. I ITCH can manage with that make me think its the hardware.
Crox 3:40 PM - 15 July, 2011
^^If so, DAMN IT! I absolutely adore the hardware; the built, etc. But, this is definitely a deal breaker for me. Wouldn't mind hearing from someone @ Serato if this can be improved upon.
deejayosa 12:54 AM - 16 July, 2011
The pitch resolution is what IRKS me! I took it back to GC but in the end I decided to just deal with it. Hopefully it is something that can be fixed with an update.
zanzibar1 4:11 AM - 16 July, 2011
Hey so I am really late to this thread, do not own an NS6 but curious...

When you say the pitch resolution is off - you mean when you set the BPM of two tracks exactly the same, and start both tracks at the same time, instead of playing in unison they begin to drift apart and spoil ur mix. Is that right?

If not please explain. If so... i can't see why that would be a hardware problem. Your "deck" is really inside the Itch software, surely once you set the pitch Itch should let that track run without discrepancies with pitch.... non?
deejayosa 5:02 AM - 16 July, 2011
well from my experience, when i slide pitch up/down the increments on the pitch are not precise. it is rare that i could ever get two tracks to ever be the exact same bpm. not very precise increments, more like jumps
Crox 5:06 AM - 16 July, 2011
^^ Basically, the numerical values of bpm calculated and displayed by the software are almost never 100% identical/matching. For example, track on deck A is being played at 120.08 bpm, while track on deck B is at 120.06. I know that judging from those numbers it may seem like not that big a deal, but it does make a big difference. Im getting tired of keeping one hand busy trying to keep the tracks matched with the pitch bend buttons, I'd much rather pay more attention to the fun stuff, like eq's and fx.
zanzibar1 5:16 AM - 16 July, 2011
Quote:
I know that judging from those numbers it may seem like not that big a deal, but it does make a big difference

You don't have to tell me!! I usually let it slide when mixing quickly, like in a top 40 or hip hop set. But when I play house music I drag my mixes out and for that your bpms have to be matched tight.

Well thanks for helping me understand "pitch resolution" and yes it sounds more like a hard ware problem (hopefully not!) good luck to all the ns6 users out there!

BTW on my ns7, i get similar problems but i get around it by putting one finger infront of the pitch fader (to stop it moving too far) and then tapping/flicking it with my other finger till I get it right one the mark... dunno if that helps anyone else out there.
Crox 5:21 AM - 16 July, 2011
Im waiting for Serato to chime in on this one. Luckily, I still have a week until my "trial period" runs out. I so wanna keep it, though : //
Marquischirho 10:36 PM - 8 September, 2011
I've been struggling with this too. I got the ns6 to make the jump to digital, and it seems dumb that it takes so much effort for me to do something that's effortless on analog sources.

I still use pioneer cdj's with the .05 pitch increments every once in a while and I'm dead on. I too refuse to use the sync button, but I'm getting frustrated enough in my mixes I might have to.

I wish they would enable a .05 increment mode -- I have my numbers down pat on cdj's, it just takes too long to hit the exact .05 number with such a stupidly sensitive pitch fader and I end up wasting too much time and energy on the basics of beatmatching instead of the fun stuff.

It's been a couple of months since the rest of this was posted, any answers yet?
deejayosa 10:55 PM - 8 September, 2011
I returned mine and just upgraded my decks. ehh
Robbie O 11:03 PM - 8 September, 2011
This is the exact reason why I switched to the DDJ-S1. Since the Sync feature changed, I feel forced to use the pitch fader (which I dont mind with my NS7), but on the NS6 it's never exact. Yeah 4 channels is cool, but rocking a party and feeling totally comfortable is priceless!

Switch to the DDJ-S1's. I'm loving it!
Marquischirho 11:23 PM - 8 September, 2011
I can't even function without 3 decks. I was originally considering the Denon MC-6000 when I first bought the NS6, maybe I'll have to wait for some more money to roll in and spring for that. Or just say screw digital and stick to the trusty, clunky analog gear I learned on.
Crox 11:47 PM - 8 September, 2011
Hey, guys. Have you lot updated your firmware yet? I opened a help-thread a while ago regarding this very issue and the firmware update was the only solution which actually worked for me. Now, beat matching is a breeze.
Marquischirho 2:42 AM - 9 September, 2011
I guess I'm just picky; I'm up to date but it's still not up to spec.
deejayosa 4:28 AM - 9 September, 2011
^^^ What he said.
blackavenger 2:03 PM - 9 September, 2011
Quote:
Hey, guys. Have you lot updated your firmware yet? I opened a help-thread a while ago regarding this very issue and the firmware update was the only solution which actually worked for me. Now, beat matching is a breeze.

Quote:
I guess I'm just picky; I'm up to date but it's still not up to spec.

Firmware update didn't do anything to resolve this for me either?!?!?

There are a couple things that I have noticed about the NS6 that are beginning to piss me off now. I really wish I had kept my standalone mixer.

When I have ScratchLIVE hooked up to the NS6 (via SL3), the tracking is really glitchy....why would that matter? If it's a standalone mixer, it shouldn't have "any" affect on the SL3's ability to track.

When playing Analog Vinyl (via SL3) through the NS6, the volume is sooo looow that it's impossible to hear, which effectively makes it useless!

Firmware Update did not solve these issues either.....I'm about to open up a couple Help Discussions!
damehype 3:07 PM - 9 September, 2011
^^^ When playing your vinyl source, are you using line 1 & 2 and do you have it set to line or phono level?
blackavenger 4:10 PM - 9 September, 2011
I am using channels 1 & 2 (line level) .
damehype 7:20 PM - 9 September, 2011
Do your turntables have line outputs? If not, set it to phono.
damehype 7:29 PM - 9 September, 2011
Nevermind, just realized you said analog via SL3
blackavenger 12:38 AM - 19 September, 2011
Quote:
When I have ScratchLIVE hooked up to the NS6 (via SL3), the tracking is really glitchy....why would that matter? If it's a standalone mixer, it shouldn't have "any" affect on the SL3's ability to track.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Do your turntables have line outputs? If not, set it to phono.

Tonight I figured out what I was doing wrong...damn, I feel like such a dumb ass!! I had the dip switches on the SL3 toggled to Line, rather than Phono.

My ScratchLIVE (SL3) & NS6 are finally playing nicely together....what a relief! Now if we can get the Pitch Resolution a bit tighter, and the Volume Meters to register the Line Levels instead of the Master, the unit will be as good as it's gonna get.....

I really wish they had included Level Meters for each channel.....they really dropped the ball on that one!!
Papa Midnight 7:44 AM - 3 October, 2011
I recognize I'm a bit late coming on to this topic as I've not had an opportunity to demo the NS6 till very recently while at Guitar Center where it's not normally hooked up and is instead on a store shelf (I asked them to pull it down so I could demo it).

After owning the Numark NS7 for so long and being so accustomed to the dead-on pitch resolution, I was surprised to see how poor the NS6's was. It goes in step increments rather than the perfect pitch changes implemented in the NS7 and reminded me of more being on my old (and long-since sold) Stanton SCS3.

Perhaps poor is not the word because the step increments are accurate, but it is disappointing to see that it only increments in steps rather than by individual points as it's predecessor could. I hope for a firmware update in the future which will allow such but in the mean time, if I wanted to do purchase the NS6 in the future, this would not be a deal breaker (as it would just require a bit of pitch bending during mixing). However, it is a bit disappointing to me - especially since I'd have to focus more on pitch bending or relying on sync to keep songs beat matched while I performed EQ effects, different transitions, and made use of Serato FX.
A_Jack 12:56 PM - 7 October, 2011
This is strange because I've been using my NS6 with my pc laptop and the pitch slider has worked fine with accurate 0.1 or 0.2 increments and mixing by ear has been solid. However I now changed to a MBP and installed the latest firmware to NS6 also and what I noticed is that the feeling on the jogwheels improved a lot but the pitch slider is useless almost forcing me to use sync-button. The pitch now goes in 0.5 increments and I have to be extremely careful with it. How is this possible ??
blackavenger 5:09 PM - 7 October, 2011
^ hmmm, really? I am going to test this on my WIn7 machine and see if you are right.
Papa Midnight 9:11 PM - 7 October, 2011
I probably used a bad store floor unit that needed calibration.
CJ DJ 2:36 PM - 8 October, 2011
How can you check wich version firmware you have on your ns6?
DJ Oleg 3:56 PM - 10 October, 2011
Just wanted to say that I am also only getting .05 increments on the pitch sliders. It would be nice to be able to match BPMs on all decks exactly. Is there anyone that is getting more accurate increments or is this just a hardware limitation at the moment?
blackavenger 7:57 PM - 10 October, 2011
Quote:
This is strange because I've been using my NS6 with my pc laptop and the pitch slider has worked fine with accurate 0.1 or 0.2 increments and mixing by ear has been solid. However I now changed to a MBP and installed the latest firmware to NS6 also and what I noticed is that the feeling on the jogwheels improved a lot but the pitch slider is useless almost forcing me to use sync-button. The pitch now goes in 0.5 increments and I have to be extremely careful with it. How is this possible ??

Quote:
^ hmmm, really? I am going to test this on my WIn7 machine and see if you are right.

Quote:
Just wanted to say that I am also only getting .05 increments on the pitch sliders. It would be nice to be able to match BPMs on all decks exactly. Is there anyone that is getting more accurate increments or is this just a hardware limitation at the moment?

I get the weak Pitch Resolution regardless of whether I use my Mac or PC. This NEEDS to be fixed in a Firmware Update.......it's really frustrating!
The Dance Commander 12:31 AM - 11 October, 2011
Yep, found this out on my NS6 last week- same bpm, but you can't lock the beats to each other- they'll go out of phase pretty quickly. Adjusting the beatgrid so the markers fall on the exact downbeats has no effect. Once mixed together, drift occurs. Manually tapping in bpm fails- nothing works really.

Never had a problem with phase sync issues on Traktor and for this reason, i'm switching back to Traktor. Plus, Traktor has quite a bit more pluses over Itch, IMO. For a company that produces software for dj's, i would have expected a bit more technical testing and functionality in ITCH.
Marquischirho 7:21 AM - 11 October, 2011
This might not make sense to most, but is there a way to get .05 increments on a PC? Seriously, that would dissolve all of my current irritations, in theory at least.
toasted 10:13 AM - 11 October, 2011
having the same thing myself, i have to give the pitch slider a push/pull to get it out of the set increments so it lands on other decimals
surely its not hard to sort out , takes the piss that it wasnt done right in the first place as its a pretty important thing, id say most important
its like having the faders adjusting in steps instead of smoothly, maybe they are as well?
blackavenger 4:24 PM - 11 October, 2011
Quote:
takes the piss that it wasnt done right in the first place as its a pretty important thing, id say most important

One would think!
Crox 4:56 PM - 11 October, 2011
Quote:
having the same thing myself, i have to give the pitch slider a push/pull to get it out of the set increments so it lands on other decimals
surely its not hard to sort out , takes the piss that it wasnt done right in the first place as its a pretty important thing, id say most important
its like having the faders adjusting in steps instead of smoothly, maybe they are as well?

That is the only issue Im still having with it. Sometimes I gotta randomly slide the pitch up/down to set the bpm values to that 100% matching point, though that only takes extra 2-4 seconds, so not that big a deal. The firmware update helped a lot, though.
Pete Input 10:48 PM - 11 October, 2011
Quote:

Now if we can get the Pitch Resolution a bit tighter, and the Volume Meters to register the Line Levels instead of the Master, the unit will be as good as it's gonna get.....

Push the listening buttons for a 2 seconds and you have a line level.
LePimpernel 4:11 AM - 26 October, 2011
I've just done the recent firmware update and the pitch increments have become worse, suggesting to me it is software related. Anyone mapped to traktor at all? just wondering what it does there?
jroc453 3:31 PM - 29 November, 2011
I can't believe Serato won't reply to this!!!
blackavenger 4:20 PM - 29 November, 2011
Quote:

I can't believe Numark won't either.
jroc453 4:33 PM - 29 November, 2011
Quote:
Quote:

I can't believe Numark won't either.

But now I know what you guys were talking about.... I still love the NS6 compared to the DDJ-S1 but they really need to let us know what they can do to fix this.
blackavenger 6:48 PM - 29 November, 2011
Quote:
But now I know what you guys were talking about.... I still love the NS6 compared to the DDJ-S1 but they really need to let us know what they can do to fix this.

The NS6 has been out for 6 months now......ITCH has seen 4-5 Updates in that time-frame......I assume we'll see an NS(?) sooner than we'll see a solution to this problem!
phatbob 7:21 PM - 29 November, 2011
Do what now?

Didn't the NS6 launch with a special version of 1.8? Then the only version released since then is 2.01... Think '4-5' updates might be overstating it somewhat... ;-)
blackavenger 7:42 PM - 29 November, 2011
I was thinking 1.7...but you're right....I stand corrected. NS6 did have that special 1.8 version, so there have only been (2) Software Updates.

Regardless, it's been 6 months without so much as a whisper from Serato or Numark even acknowledging that there is a problem.

My point still stands!!!
Papa Midnight 7:14 AM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:
Do what now?

Didn't the NS6 launch with a special version of 1.8? Then the only version released since then is 2.01... Think '4-5' updates might be overstating it somewhat... ;-)
Quote:
I was thinking 1.7...but you're right....I stand corrected. NS6 did have that special 1.8 version, so there have only been (2) Software Updates.

Au Contraire...

Even with 1.7 and 1.7.1 not accounted for (and ignoring as moot, all Release Candidates), ITCH has seen, since the release of the Pioneer DDJ and Numark NS6:

ITCH 1.8 (For NS6|DDJ users)
ITCH 1.8.1 (a bug fix - For NS6|DDJ users)
ITCH 2.0 (20096) - First Release of ITCH 2.0 after the final release candidate (merge of all controllers to one uniform version and brand new code rewrite from the ground up). New Features. Multitude of Bug Fixes.
ITCH 2.0.0 (20098) - Second version of ITCH 2.0 released. Various Bug Fixes.
ITCH 2.0.1 (20102) - Third version of ITCH 2.0. Various Bug Fixes.
Now in Beta :: ITCH 2.1.0 (21033) - Various Bug Fixes - Various Improvements. New Features.

It's not overstating one single bit.

Curse my habit of holding on to older versions of software.
Quote:
Regardless, it's been 6 months without so much as a whisper from Serato or Numark even acknowledging that there is a problem.

Indeed, it has.
Quote:
My point still stands!!!

Indeed, it does.
phatbob 9:55 AM - 30 November, 2011
I stand corrected.

Although 2.1 beta doesn't count. ;-)
blackavenger 12:01 PM - 30 November, 2011
Quote:
Curse my habit of holding on to older versions of software.

LOL.....I've done the same thing w' ScratchLIVE versions going back as far as 1.4!!!

I kept them all.
weeggyy 1:19 PM - 30 November, 2011
In my experience pitch resolution is fair enough to me, I takes time to get the hang of it.. But im always getting the correct pitch...
blackavenger 2:00 PM - 30 November, 2011
^ I'm getting close...sometimes it's locked....then again, sometimes it seems like it drifts. ^
Crox 3:09 PM - 30 November, 2011
I decided to update the firmware again...Things are now back to how they were before, lol, it takes me even longer now to match the bpms. The numbers seem to be all over the place - 0.5 increments as oppose to 0.2 with the previous update (which was pretty good, imo).

WTF? is this shit ever gonna get fixed? Tempted to put the damn thing up on craigslist and just move on to something else.

Are there any other controllers out there with the "effed up pitch resolution" curse, so I can avoid going through all the headaches again? What would you guys suggest? Im getting fed up with this crap.
weeggyy 3:12 AM - 1 December, 2011
Thats why i don't want to update firmware and whats more annoying, i bought this up to Numark forums and they said "Sorry, the SYNC would be the reason for not putting a more defined pitch resolution on the NS6." they should have at least consider that not all users are using the sync all the time... Numark? anyone?
Crox 3:39 AM - 1 December, 2011
Mine's up for sale. Not entirely sure yet what I'll be picking up next, though.
blackavenger 4:27 AM - 1 December, 2011
Quote:
Mine's up for sale. Not entirely sure yet what I'll be picking up next, though.

S4? I am considering it.
Crox 1:26 AM - 2 December, 2011
Yeah, most likely. That or the DX.
blackavenger 2:26 AM - 2 December, 2011
If you wanna stick w' ITCH, definitely wait until' after NAMM! Who knows, they may be getting ready to drop a really siiick controller.
Ragman 3:36 AM - 2 December, 2011
Quote:
If you wanna stick w' ITCH, definitely wait until' after NAMM! Who knows, they may be getting ready to drop a really siiick controller.

i think you're right. we'll see as it's right around the corner now. Dam time flies.
Crox 10:41 PM - 25 December, 2011
Sold my NS6 yesterday. Cant wait for the vci-400 to finally come out; build wise it looks like it will be a solid controller (which was the main thing I loved about the NS6). 4-deck control is too damn fun to give up on :)
blackavenger 3:42 AM - 26 December, 2011
Quote:
Sold my NS6 yesterday. Cant wait for the vci-400

Quote:
4-deck control is too damn fun to give up on :)

But apparently ITCH is?!? You do know that the VCI-400 only supports INTRO (which is only 2 channels), right? Otherwise, you'll have to use one of the competition's offerings.