Software help archive

A read-only archive of old serato.com help threads.

Channel Level Meters on Cue

Product
ITCH
Version
Hardware
Numark NS6
Computer
Mac
OS
Platform
-
[O/][iii][O/] 9:38 PM - 9 June, 2011
Product: itch
Version: 1.8.0
Hardware: numark-ns6
Computer: mac
OS Version: 10.6.7
---

Hello - How do you get the level meters to switch from master to individual channel when cue monitoring a channel? Seems no matter what I do the level meters just show master output and will not switch in source input when any headphone cue button is pressed. Thank you.
hobredwing05 10:26 PM - 9 June, 2011
Unfortunately I nor anyone else I have been able to figure this out. Seems like they just left this simple but effective feature out. IDK why we cant just have the deck we have cued in our headphone pop up on the meter. Beats me man...
[O/][iii][O/] 12:10 AM - 10 June, 2011
No way on earth this was intentionally left out. It has to be there somewhere. I mean how else are you supposed to dial in your input gain before bringing a track in (whether it be via digital via Itch or external analog sources such as TT or CD)? Numark, please respond asap. I want to get this into a gig this weekend and can't til this is figured out.
[O/][iii][O/] 4:48 AM - 10 June, 2011
OK, I'm seeing lots of reports online describing this same issue. If channel cue meters really don't exist I may have to take this otherwise gorgeous unit back to store. It will be a deal-breaker sadly. How/why anyone would choose to design and build a modern controller without the basic, yet essential functionality of channel metering is beyond me. Kinda like building a car without mirrors if you ask me. Holding out hope though that channel meters are here and that I just don't know how to engage them yet. Numark, Serato, anybody... PLEASE HELP. Thanks.
hobredwing05 5:33 AM - 10 June, 2011
It would be great to get a response to this ASAP.......
Kommissar 2:37 PM - 10 June, 2011
they do not yet exist, the best thing to do for now is to set your headphone cue-master balance to 50% and judge when your cued track is at the same volume as your master track.
[O/][iii][O/] 2:52 PM - 10 June, 2011
Quote:
they do not yet exist, the best thing to do for now is to set your headphone cue-master balance to 50% and judge when your cued track is at the same volume as your master track.

"yet"? "for now"? Does this mean that this is a bug that Numark is aware of and correcting, and that normal cueing meters will be soon available on the NS6? Need to know because without cueing meters this will likely be a deal-breaker. Thanks
dizzyrocks2001 3:00 PM - 10 June, 2011
What do you even need channel level meters for? The auto-gain function in ITCH does a great job of making sure all your tracks are at the same db... and you can use your good old fashioned ears to tweak on the fly. They probably intentionally left out the channel level meters to save on space so the unit can be smaller.
[O/][iii][O/] 3:10 PM - 10 June, 2011
The space saving argument is invalid. Just look at the Kontrol S4 or Denon DN-MC6000 for proof of this. Those units are actually smaller and have individual meters for each channel. What I (and most everyone else I know) would be happy with as a compromise would be just one set of meters like what's on the NS6 now, but have them switch between master and cue.

Also, the NS6 functions as a stand alone mixer, so regardless of how well Itch auto-gains digital tracks, what are you supposed to do with auxiliary analog input sources that are connected to it such as TTs, CDJs, etc?
[O/][iii][O/] 3:13 PM - 10 June, 2011
Sorry, the DN-MC6000 has one set of meters, but they switch between master cue. Kontrol S4 and A&H Xone DX have individual channel meters
Dj Beware 5:08 AM - 11 June, 2011
Agreed it should be the same as the VCI 300, it can be done
[O/][iii][O/] 12:38 PM - 11 June, 2011
Quote:
Agreed it should be the same as the VCI 300, it can be done

With three or four decks going at once it does get a bit unwieldy trying to visually keep track of what's going on without having individual dedicated channel meters on each fader. I knew that going in though when purchasing the NS6, but had no idea Numark would not have the ability to at least select a channel to see cueing level.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Logan D 12:48 AM - 13 June, 2011
Hey guys,

Sorry for the late reply, it was our weekend here in New Zealand!

I'm inclined to agree. Personally, it's not vital for me to DJ with, but it is very handy to have that visual cue. The thing is that while this is something that we could add (keyword = could), It takes a bit of work and it's not something that would happen over-night. I'll see what the story is regarding this, as I would too like the Ns6 to have this functionality.

Cheers :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:24 AM - 13 June, 2011
Hey guys.

At present, you can't individually see the channel meters. However we have this very high on our list to get done, so this feature will make it into a future version of ITCH.

A workaround would be to use Auto-gain - and this would then only require very small tweaks (if any) of the gain. And at that detail of gain change, I'd suggest using your ears for comparative volumes anyhow, as channel gain LEDs won't reflect a dB difference that small very easily for the perfect mix.

We're sorry for the inconvenience for the time being.
Satsun 4:30 AM - 13 June, 2011
Quote:
However we have this very high on our list to get done, so this feature will make it into a future version of ITCH.

Thank you so much! This will make the NS6 an even better investment.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:51 AM - 13 June, 2011
Yeah, it will indeed!
[O/][iii][O/] 10:52 AM - 13 June, 2011
Thanks very much for the attention on this Logan and Matt. As far as I can tell so far, the poor metering section on the NS6 is the only thing keeping it from being the perfect controller (well, except for the fact it's not a rotary designed mixer, doesn't have SL timecode support, and it has those goofy silksreened fake 45 adapters on the platters). The lack of metering is particularly troublesome when trying to cue external sources. Anyway, do you guys happen to know what possessed Numark to cripple the metering section so much in the first place and/or why they didn't have individual channel meters like nearly all other 4-channel mixers? Seems like such a silly thing to overlook... kinda like the Kontrol S4 not having separate booth outputs (another jus plain crazy omission).
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:30 AM - 14 June, 2011
I have no idea to be honest. But you are more than welcome to use the CUE functionality to check levels before bringing things into the mix.

And we will endeavor to remedy this as soon as possible.
hobredwing05 3:34 AM - 16 June, 2011
Cue functionality? Explain please.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 4:20 AM - 16 June, 2011
Checking the levels of the track using your headphone CUE like back in the old days.
I've found that I have been doing this lately anyhow, it gets a much tighter control over gain structure than mixer LEDs offer.
Satsun 5:07 PM - 17 June, 2011
Are there any plans to allow cueing more than one channel at a time? This would be useful when using loops on multiple channels. Or when the Bridge comes out :) I'm not sure how this would work with the type of metering you plan to implement (perhaps it wouldn't), but it would work well with headphone cueing.
[O/][iii][O/] 5:16 PM - 17 June, 2011
You can cue two channels at a time by pressing the cue buttons you want to monitor simultaneously.
Satsun 5:21 PM - 17 June, 2011
I feel so dumb. Sorry. Here I've been playing with my NS6 for three days and wishing I could cue more than one channel. Sure enough, pressing cue buttons simultaneously is even in the manual... I love this controller.
[O/][iii][O/] 5:30 PM - 17 June, 2011
Man, don't worry about. I didn't know how to unload a track from a deck on Itch til just the other day. Been on SL for 5 or 6 years so I was looking for an eject button that wasn't in Itch. lol facepalm:

Just another reason why SL and Itch should be the same damn program. I hate having to relearn something that shouldn't be.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 2:00 AM - 20 June, 2011
We do want to offer this functionality with Numark, and are discussing this at present.
I'm going to close this thread down as a Feature Request to add more ammo to the request for now :D
Cheers guys!