Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Realtime BPM analyser

Helmedia Inc 11:35 AM - 5 June, 2011
Is there any plans to add a realtime BPM analsyer like VDJ 7 so we don't have switch off the NS7 to re-analyse a track's BPM?
djcerla 11:40 AM - 5 June, 2011
Why do you need to re-analyze? Just curious.
Helmedia Inc 12:59 PM - 21 June, 2011
When I add new tracks to the library it would be nice to re-analyze within having to dis-connected the NS7 and wait!
dj-nice 8:32 PM - 21 June, 2011
+1
good feature
Dj cuervo 12:06 AM - 22 June, 2011
The program auto analyze before you play it.
dj-nice 5:59 AM - 22 June, 2011
not if you analyze offline an get a wrong BPM
marcA 6:28 AM - 22 June, 2011
if it analysed a wrong bpm in the offline player, why would it analyse a different bpm when connected to the NS7?
i don't think the algorithm will be different.
DJdaveZ 2:48 PM - 22 June, 2011
yeah the way the bpm is figured out wouldnt change either way... if its wrong, TAP it out...
elsupermang 5:01 PM - 22 June, 2011
I wasn't aware VDJ's BPM analyzer was "realtime". So your saying it will constantly calculate the BPM and update the value of non-constant bpm tracks? Or did you mean it just analyzes it every load?
DJ C-Killah 1:14 AM - 23 June, 2011
If u play the track, it will analyze the bpm for you
marcA 6:42 AM - 23 June, 2011
Itch does this to, if the bpm isn't analysed before...
Maskrider 8:31 PM - 23 June, 2011
Quote:
When I add new tracks to the library it would be nice to re-analyze within having to dis-connected the NS7 and wait!

We don't need this......It's Automated.
Maskrider 8:33 PM - 23 June, 2011
Quote:
not if you analyze offline an get a wrong BPM

Getting the wrong BPM is just a matter of clicking on the BPM dropdown menu.
ragga 3:25 AM - 30 June, 2011
In itch I'm noticing my BPM's are off. Not half or double time but off. For instance a hip hop track which I know is around 100bpm is showing 72. lots of tracks like this. I remember my SL bpm analyzer was way accurate. Anyone else notice this?
Kmxorbit 7:26 AM - 30 June, 2011
If you have a serious off set of the BPM's then here's where the beat-grid comes in and tends to be very useful.
Enable beatgrid in your setup, press ALT+Spacebar (twice if you would like to alter the second song)

=> BACKSPACE: remove original beatgrid
=> move your playhead at the first beat of the song and press "X" on your keyboard to set the first beatmarker.
=> Goto end of song and check if the beatgrid is still accurate on beat; if yes, press "ENTER" to lock the beatgrid and return to normal playstatus
If not, Use "ARROWS" on keyboard to strecth the beatgrid and press "ENTER" once ur satisfied with the result.
(Use CTRL+ARROWS to shiift the entire beatgrid)

=> last but not least: Put the Pitch Slider at 0% and read the BPM value in the player (calculated by the Beatgrid), then correct manually the library BPM value as it will still show the old value.

Hope this helps.
revancheX 10:29 AM - 30 June, 2011
Syncopation throws off BPM analysis 100% of the time, no matter what technology you are using. Use ITCH beat grids to compensate. I spend about 1 hour/week on this issue. This is part of the price of admission to being a DJ. Be glad you're not timing this $#!+ out on a stopwatch like I had to do 15 years ago.

By the way, sometimes you have to set downbeat markers EVERY SINGLE BAR, especially if the track is more than about 3 years old. That's the way it goes.