Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Midi - mapping multiple SL parameters to a single hardware control.

MikeyTen4 7:28 PM - 1 June, 2011
Just following up this help request I made - serato.com. Seems what I was asking about is something that currently isn't possible.

The issue is mapping more than one hardware control to a single parameter in SL. This isn't a problem in apps like Ableton (for instance), but SL can't do it. Specifically I'm using an LPD8 and a pair of dicers. I wanted to map a 3 LPD8 pads to control the play modes on all 6 banks of the SP-6 sample player - e.g. hit one pad and all banks switch to 'trigger' mode, another pad to switch all banks to 'hold' mode. At present if you try to map a control to any parameter then that control is un-assigned from any ther parameter you've previously mapped it to.

The reason I want to do this is to make best use of the limited ammount of hardware control I've got. I'm sure there must be others in the same position?
MikeyTen4 7:31 PM - 1 June, 2011
EDIT: Meant "The issue is mapping a single hardware control to more than one parameter in SL."!
MikeyTen4 12:23 AM - 4 June, 2011
Here's a simple example using the XML code from a midi preset file:

<midi>
<Control name="Super Knob Mode Button 1" channel="2" event_type="Note On" control="36" />
<Control name="Super Knob Mode Button 2" channel="2" event_type="Note On" control="36" />
</midi>

That example should mean both of the "super knob mode" buttons are toggled on and off with a single pad on my LPD8 - the pad sending note 36 on channel 2.

Even hacking the midi XML this way doesn't work - SL simply ignores one of the mappings. Hovering over one of the super mode buttons in midi map mode shows the green 'mapped' box, but there are now mapping details in it. The other remains mapped and working.

Considering how normal this sort of things is in other software, I'm suprised it's so difficult to implement in SL. I could really do with it if there's a way and if not then it would be a great upgrade for the next version.
J.J. 12:56 AM - 4 June, 2011
It's very frustrating you cannot use 1 control in MIDI to control multiple things.

Here is my work around. Hold down 1 button as a "Shift", and you can use the same control in MIDI as something else:

<midi>
<Modifier name="Shift Modifier 1" event_type="Note On" channel="2" control="96" />
<Control name="Super Knob Mode Button 1" channel="2" event_type="Note On" control="36" />
<Control name="Super Knob Mode Button 2" channel="2" event_type="Note On" control="36" on_modifier="Shift Modifier 1" />
</midi>
DJ_'Ready-Made'_Ren 2:46 AM - 4 June, 2011
Looks like I'm late to the party again! lol. I just posted a similar request. serato.com

So, that would be a +1 from me.
MikeyTen4 1:00 PM - 4 June, 2011
Hey thanks J.J., that's interesting :)

But in this case it still doesn't help me, since the 'shift' button is still an extra button I need. I can see how it would give more functionality in some cases (like how the Dicers utilise a shift key). But in my case using a button to turn an effect on and then another button as a shift to be used with the first to turn the second effect on... is no better than using those 2 buttons to seperately turn the 2 effects on.

Basically I have 1 pad left on the 1st bank on my LPD8. I've set this bank up as my 'DJ-FX Super Knob' bank. I want to be able to switch the view from Ultra to Super view when I enter this bank. So, I'd want to be able to hit the one remaining pad and have it switch to super view on both the right and left sides of the DJ-FX. But it's not possible - it's one side or the other.

Thsi isn't the only instance I've needed to do this - I had similar issues with the SP6 (wanting one pad to switch play modes on all 6 sample slots). I really hope the Serato brains can introduce this, since it seems (to me at least) to be a huge limitation.
MikeyTen4 7:42 PM - 4 June, 2011
For the record, I just tried J.J.'s 'shift modifier' trick. And I found it works! :)

When I posted the cmment above I hadn't expected that you could make a button which is already mapped to a function act ALSO as a shift key - given the reason I opened this thread. But as a test I've just used J.J.'s xml code to hack my midi file and assign the following (on my Akai LPD8, but this should apply to any controller)...

HIT Pad 5 [note 40] - DJ-FX Button AND 'Shift' key
HIT Pad 1 [note 36] - Super knob button 1
HOLD Pad 5 (Shift) & HIT Pad 1 - Super knob button 2

IT WORKS!! :) This should be a massive help, so thanks J.J. So in summary, we can't map more than one SL function to a single hardware button/knob/fader, but we can make a single hardware control act as a shift key and map it to any other single chosen function at the same time.

This is great, but it's still only a workaround. So I'd still love to see the mapping of multiple software functions ot a single hardware control be natively supported in a future version.
radikarl 4:01 PM - 14 June, 2011
you could consider hardware that can send more than one message per button and is configurable

examples:

midi fighter
EKS Otus

other than that. maybe have a look at bomes midi translator or midi-pipe